• You cannot reply to this topic

WWE/UFC/MMA/Boxing Fans?

#1 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hey I know a few of you out there like the following "sports" I have listed so I wanted to see how many out there are willing to admit it? I've been a "fake wrestling" fan since I was a kid and have had on and off periods of watching it but am pretty content watching it now. I have more recently started watching UFC pay-per-views at bars with my other friends now. I don't know too much of the fighters or the current stats, but some guys who I thought were awesome from what I have seen are Travis Browne, Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir, and Junior Dos Santos. The same thing goes with boxing in relation to what I know about it which really is "jack" but I enjoy seeing a good fight.

Anyway, if any of you do enjoy any of these events, I'm always up for talking about that stuff and if possible even scheduling meet-ups at areas that may work best for all of us. UFC from what I have seen you can see almost anywhere (particularly Buffalo Wild Wings) and the same goes for boxing. As far as WWE goes, I know of one place in Schaumburg called "Chicago City Limits" which charges you $5 to get in but they give you a $4 chip that can be used for food or drinks while you watch the event so if you are planning to eat, it's not a bad deal at all.

I go pretty often to the WWE PPVs but I did miss tonight's since it was Father's Day. I am planning on watching Money in the Bank on July 17th, so if anyone's interested let me know.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#2 User is offline   kittie 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60540

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

well i am actually a fan of mma ... i tend 2 watch the ufc's ppv n i watch some of the strikeforce fights. i am a huge fan of ufc's welter weight champ .... Canada's very own George "Rush" St. Pierre, n i really like jon bones jones ... u should check out some of there fights they are pretty good fighters
just call me Miwako

#3 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:52 AM

I used to be into Pride FC more than UFC. It's a lot more technical and interesting to watch instead of gym monkeys overloaded with testosterone in UFC. Kickboxing is probably my favorite fighting thing to watch but sadly it's the one that doesn't really show on TV that much.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#4 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

MMA right here.

#5 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

I frequent MMAjunkie.com (News blogs with posts) everyday to fulfill my MMA needs.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#6 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 60057

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

I keep up with wrestling news, but never really watch it. If I'm home when it's on, my TV will be tuned to it, but I'm usually on the internet at the same time :/

I do like going to the Ring of Honor shows when they're around though. Always a lot of fun and the crowds are awesome!

#7 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

MMA is what's up. I agree with NinjaJedi, though; Pride FC and Dream were both far superior to UFC. But I think that they were superior because of the rules, not because of the athletes competing in their ranks. Pride and Dream would stand fighters up quickly if neither was working on the ground ("working" meaning "expending effort in order to advance position or damage the opponent"). UFC just lets a dude lay on top of another dude for almost a full minute before they'll stand guys up. I love Jiu Jitsu as much as the next guy, but UFC needs to change its scoring system and its rules because fighters are taking advantage of the scoring.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#8 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 20 June 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

Pride and Dream would stand fighters up quickly if neither was working on the ground

This is my biggest gripe about MMA. It's one thing to be comfortable on the ground if that's your forte but it's another to just sit there buying time or trying to make it look like you're in control of the round. IMO if you get the takedown, do something with it! This is why I'll always love kickboxing: constant action.

#9 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yeah pro kickboxing is awesome, K 1 being my favorite league (as I'm sure it is many people's).
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#10 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

View Postkittie, on 19 June 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

well i am actually a fan of mma ... i tend 2 watch the ufc's ppv n i watch some of the strikeforce fights. i am a huge fan of ufc's welter weight champ .... Canada's very own George "Rush" St. Pierre, n i really like jon bones jones ... u should check out some of there fights they are pretty good fighters

I've heard lots of good things on St. Pierre. I'd like to see him in action, thanks for the incite.

View Postbewd7879, on 20 June 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

I keep up with wrestling news, but never really watch it. If I'm home when it's on, my TV will be tuned to it, but I'm usually on the internet at the same time :/

I do like going to the Ring of Honor shows when they're around though. Always a lot of fun and the crowds are awesome!

Yeah, unless you're watching Smackdown, usually it can be tedious to watch Raw. It's annoying how the matches are usually 5 minutes or less, lots of talking, and recaps of Smackdown (vice versa with Smackdown, but that show has a little more work rate.) The Pay-Per-Views can be fun, but without Chicago City Limits I would NEVER order any as they are ridiculously overpriced and most of my friends don't like wrestling at all. TNA (or is it Impact Wrestling now, they need to make up their minds) can have some decent matches (i.e. the X-Division, most Kurt Angle matches, tag-teams, etc.) but they have a little too much garbage going on. Crap like the overbooked endings, too many old guys on the roster, etc. I have watched a little of ROH and it's pretty cool! I've never been to a show, but maybe I will go some day.

As far as Pride or any kick boxing in general, I haven't watched any of it yet. UFC is the only MMA I have currently watched but one thing I'll admit to really disliking about it is that while some matches can be really entertaining, there can be LOTS of stalling. Specific example was UFC 130 with Rampage vs. Matt Hammill. It was the main event but it was amazing how boring it was with them mostly grappling for the majority of the time, it was an unmemorable match for most part. On the undercard I really enjoyed Stefan Struve vs. Travis Browne. I became a huge Browne fan as I was expecting Stefan to slaughter Travis. Travis showed a lot of strength during the match and I was amazed with him being the shorter guy that he was able to deliver one huge blow to Struve's face and knock him out! SUCKAH GONNA KNOCK YOU OUT! :w00t:

I will have to look into Kickboxing, but with it being on limited on TV and likely bars, I'm not sure when and where. Maybe hit up Youtube? Suggestions?
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#11 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Yeah, Stefan Struve literally wins by knock-out or loses by knock-out, I'm pretty sure that his matches have not ended any other ways. Pretty funny, dude is either working people or getting worked. I saw one fight he was in from a couple months back, where he was just getting destroyed. His lower lip looked like it was coming off of his face. In between rounds, his cut man told him that his lip would be fine as long as he knew a good surgeon. He got abused for two rounds, and then he came out in the third round and knocked his opponent out.

#12 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

I like Struve. He is only 23, practically a baby and has yet to gain some adult weight.

I'm hoping for at least the Strikeforce HW division to fold into the UFC so there will enough talent to justify a 225lb cruiser-weight division.
That could benefit LHW's who cut too many pounds or HW's that are just too small.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

#13 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 20 June 2011 - 08:15 PM, said:

Yeah pro kickboxing is awesome, K 1 being my favorite league (as I'm sure it is many people's).

K-1 was always interesting because it had a grand prix style of tournament. I don't ever think I've seen that besides racing. It's the true test of guts and endurance.

View PostSTVO, on 20 June 2011 - 08:43 PM, said:

It's annoying how the matches are usually 5 minutes or less, lots of talking, and recaps of Smackdown

That was always WWE's problem: too much story. Of course it's more interesting to have some sort of emotional connection with the characters, but come on... it's still about wrestling! If I wanted drama, I'd tune in to the loads of soap operas on daytime TV. Oh how I remember the days of 100% pure ECW... -_-

#14 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

STVO: I totally recommend you check out a ROH show. Next one is in Chicago Ridge on August 13th. Also going to be the first show under their new TV deal, so it should be interesting. Tickets are usually under $25 depending on what seats you get. My friends aren't into wrestling at all, but they always have a good time there.

TNA is actually what got me into ROH, since when I first started watching TNA a lot of the people were also part of ROH.

#15 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

One of things I love watching, someone with excellent low leg kicks that are so devastating that some kicks literally knocks some people off their feet.

#16 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

^ I remember seeing one match in Pride where a guy quit because he received so many perfectly placed leg kicks. Even when he was on his back his opponent kept kicking his legs from a standing position. His legs looked so jacked up by the end of the fight. He must have been bruised beyond belief the next day.

#17 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:42 PM

If you like mma then you must watch Mirko Cro Cop in his Pride days. This guy has tree trunks for legs and can kick you in the head. He has such strong leg kicks that he gave both his legs nicknames. Right leg hospital, left leg cemetery.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#18 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

I actually made a thread just like this a long time ago. It kinda died off though. :(
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#19 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 21 June 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I actually made a thread just like this a long time ago. It kinda died off though. :(

We'll do our best to keep it alive this time. There are so many things going on in MMA almost on a weekly basis.

#20 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 21 June 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I'll admit I was a little lazy, I only searched the first page and didn't see anything like it and therefore I thought I'd start a new thread. Also, maybe it's just me I'm not too wild on bumping older threads, no offense of course. Well as long as we keep discussing wrestling, MMA, or whatever, I'm sure we can keep it alive. Also, if you guys want to make events to watch events together at Buffalo Wild Wings, Hooters (I know they show boxing matches), Chicago City Limits (they air WWE PPVs), or wherever, just let me know! It seems like most people here aren't too crazy about the WWE aspect, but I am planning on going to City Limits for WWE Money in the Bank this July where you guys are welcome to come as well. If not, I'm also interested in watching UFC, Strikeforce, Boxing, etc. as long as I'm free on the day it's airing, I'll make an effort to go.

Otherwise I encourage heavy discussion on your favorite fighters, favorite matches, or even recapping recent events.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#21 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 21 June 2011 - 05:15 PM, said:

^ I remember seeing one match in Pride where a guy quit because he received so many perfectly placed leg kicks. Even when he was on his back his opponent kept kicking his legs from a standing position. His legs looked so jacked up by the end of the fight. He must have been bruised beyond belief the next day.

I was actually going to mention this earlier! Dude's legs got worked like Rick James' in Chapelle Show.

And yeah, Mirko Cro Cop used to be a monster. Right kick hospital, left kick cemetery. He practically decapitated a couple of dudes with head kicks.

This post has been edited by YoungBirdcall: 22 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

#22 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

Too much MMA talk. I think professional wrestling needs some love. That's where all the REAL action is at anyway B)

I believe that wrestling should revert to more technical matches. Why is it that no one does the Russian Leg Sweep anymore? The abdominal stretch perhaps!? Too much talking/story nowadays it seems... ridiculous!

#23 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 23 June 2011 - 10:08 PM, said:

Too much MMA talk. I think professional wrestling needs some love. That's where all the REAL action is at anyway B)

I believe that wrestling should revert to more technical matches. Why is it that no one does the Russian Leg Sweep anymore? The abdominal stretch perhaps!? Too much talking/story nowadays it seems... ridiculous!

I'd talk more MMA but honestly I just know what I see from the UFC PPV's so that's pretty much jack. :P Wrestling is more of my specialty. As for the Russian Leg Sweet, I've seen a few people use it recently, in fact here's John Morrison (a current day WWE star) doing it: http://www.youtube.c...ZQ&feature=fvst

I agree there is too much storyline these days and the problem with that is that the WWE is making all their shows (PPVs included) rated PG. Honestly, if it's going to be storyline heavy, people want to see Stone Cold Steve Austin swigging on beer, beating Vince McMahon to a bloody pulp, and of course the famous ECW storyline with Raven and Tommy Dreamer feuding over Beulah McGuillicutty and having it revealed that she cheated on both of them with another woman (the storyline was like it, very Jerry Springer-esque stuff.) Another thing with WWE, they are trying to become more of an entertainment company and not just a "wrestling" company. They released a press release recently stating "WWE does not stand for World Wrestling Entertainment anymore, it's now just 'WWE'." They emphasized they are a TV, movie, and possibly animated programming company. Vince McMahon isn't an idiot, but he should realize that with ventures like the XFL and World Bodybuilding Federation, he should just stick to wrestling. If he wants to do more than just wrestling, why not make an MMA or Boxing league? Would make a lot more sense than those B-Movies in the Wal-Mart DVD bins his company is releasing.

As for the show itself, biggest storyline going on right now is that CM Punk (one of my favorite modern wrestlers) is leaving the company on July 17th and plans to leave the company with the WWE heavyweight title. As bewd may know, this is a similar storyline to him leaving Ring of Honor as the world champion before coming to WWE. I think it's an interesting idea, but really the most I see happening is CM Punk either gets defeated by John Cena or he wins the title then whoever wins the Raw Money in the Bank match cashes in their briefcase then wins the title and CM Punk leaves, take his time off, then returns to WWE in 2012. Any of you guys follow this angle that much?

Also: Who are some of your current favorite wrestlers on the scene right now? Who are some of your favorite of all-time?

Me.

Currently: CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Alberto Del Rio, Wade Barrett, and Sin Cara is pretty cool (mostly cause his crazy flippy stuff and what can I say the mask is dang cool!)

All-Time Favorites: Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle (still wrestling in TNA Impact Wrestling), Taz from ECW, Hulk Hogan (he's not much of a ring worker but he got me in the sport and says some funny things in interviews), and Chris Jericho is getting up there.

This post has been edited by STVO: 23 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#24 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

Current favorite and active wrestlers (some ROH people :/)
Davey Richards, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Jimmy Jacobs, Eddie Edwards, The Brisco Brothers, Christian, Samoa Joe (I miss the Samoan Submission Machine) and probably many more

If anyone ever needs a wrestling alternative, I highly recommend checking Ring of Honor. They're pretty much the 3rd biggest company in the US, and their matches put most of the TV stuff to shame. For those who don't know, people such CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Daniel Bryan (Bryan Danielson), Evan Bourne (Matt Sydal), AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels and others became popular due to Ring of Honor. Funny how TNA actually got me into ROH and not the other way around :/

#25 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4725

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

I'm debating to go to MitB this year, but not entirely sure yet. I've never been to any wrestling ever and maybe this could be a good one for me.

MitB match predictions
- Raw = John Morrison
- SD = Cody Rhodes
SoyCon 7: The School Edition | June 28-29, 2014 in Rolling Meadows, IL
Join us on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter as well!

#26 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

View PostSTVO, on 23 June 2011 - 10:50 PM, said:

Would make a lot more sense than those B-Movies in the Wal-Mart DVD bins his company is releasing.

I saw the Triple H movie on Netflix. Not terrible but still pretty crappy IMO. It was just strange to see a typical WWE bad guy as a sweet & loving father trying to win his daughter back. Sure maybe they wanted to show him as a versatile individual but still... odd choice on their part. Oh, the Big Show movie was sweet though!

Since I haven't watched WWE in a long time, I can't honestly say I have favorite wrestlers currently. I seriously watched wrestling when WWF, WCW, and ECW where are separate entities. Things were more interesting that way when you actually got different action from each. Now it's just a lot of big dudes who are the stars. Bring back the cruiserweights! Young Ultimo Dragon and Rey Mysterio were incredible.

#27 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

I just can't get back into "professional" wrestling. Too much blah blah blah nonsense, not enough action. I miss the 80's and the Rock/Stone Cold days.

#28 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

What channel is ROH now?
I used to watch it on HDnet when before I switched back to Comcast.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#29 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

View PostSoy Sauce, on 23 June 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

I'm debating to go to MitB this year, but not entirely sure yet. I've never been to any wrestling ever and maybe this could be a good one for me.

MitB match predictions
- Raw = John Morrison
- SD = Cody Rhodes

If you can go and afford it, I say do it! I would go but I have money I need to save for a trip this year and unfortunately tickets were cut from my budget. :( I was at the Raw this year before Wrestlemania 27, I'm not sure how well it came off on TV, but it was really fun in person! The Rock, HBK, and Taker were there. Also if you can't make it there live, me and at least one other friend plan on watching at City Limits, I'd recommend doing the same or seeing if theres another spot by you that you can watch.

As for my predictions:
• Raw = Alberto Del Rio. I'd say John Morrison but I'm not sure if he's hoing to be cleared from his real life injury (he has been injured for awhile not only in storyline)
• Smackdown = I have a feeling they will be predictable and go with Sheamus. I'm hoping for Wade Barrett as he was a good heel when feuding with Ceba and Orton. Cody Rhodes is a good choice, I like his current gimmick.

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 24 June 2011 - 06:27 AM, said:

I saw the Triple H movie on Netflix. Not terrible but still pretty crappy IMO. It was just strange to see a typical WWE bad guy as a sweet & loving father trying to win his daughter back. Sure maybe they wanted to show him as a versatile individual but still... odd choice on their part. Oh, the Big Show movie was sweet though!

Since I haven't watched WWE in a long time, I can't honestly say I have favorite wrestlers currently. I seriously watched wrestling when WWF, WCW, and ECW where are separate entities. Things were more interesting that way when you actually got different action from each. Now it's just a lot of big dudes who are the stars. Bring back the cruiserweights! Young Ultimo Dragon and Rey Mysterio were incredible.

I'm going to admit I saw "That's What I Am" which featured Randy Orton and it wasn't too bad. I couldn't watch Chaperone too long, Knucklehead I watched briefly but may go back and watch it all the way. But yeah I just don't see a movie studio releasing movies featuring wrestlers ever being taken seriously.

I agree with Ultimo Dragon and Rey Mysterio in their prime, they were great. That is one main problem with the WWE, it seems like with the exception of a few wrestlers, Vince appears to have the mentality if the guys aren't as big as tall as him and can't talk, they will never main event.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#30 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

The cruiserweights of the WCW times could easily steal the show in most of their events. Those matches were almost always fast paced (no unnecessary sleeper hold rest moments) and were loaded to the brim with technical elements. Pro wrestling is a show. It's entertainment... so it should be worth our time and/or money! House shows usually try and work the crowd and are so slow paced. What a bore it can be sometimes.

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users