Anime Central Forums: ACEN Cosplay Fitness thread! - Anime Central Forums

• 40 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACEN Cosplay Fitness thread! Another year, another opportunity to reach our goals!

#871 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Tae-Bo is definitely good for that. I have the Flex and Cardio DVDs, though Flex is by far my favorite. (I have trouble keeping pace with Cardio.) I also have Zumba Fitness on the Wii, so Dad's setting up their Wii console downstairs so I can do that too.

Why yes, my dad is becoming a personal trainer of sorts. I'm having a sliiiiight self-conscious reaction to this, but eh. Overall, I'm okay with this. I think he wants to see if I can rope my mom into working out too, lol
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#872 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

I haven't stopped working out you guys, but I've stopped checking the scale so much!

I hit a plateau of sorts! I was running all this spring and summer, which got me 10 lbs lighter, toned my legs, and got my lungs/heart in shape. At first my lungs ached when I tried to run, but now I can run without any pain slowing me or making me want to stop. Of course, running season is over now for me(how do people run outside in this cold? They are crazy!). I'm back to the gym, and it has been going good so far. The plateau I refer to is that the scale hasn't budged much. I am not going to weigh myself for a while so I don't get discouraged. Hopefully when I decide to hop back on it'll be another 5 lbs lost.

I just got my officially licensed Aperture Science Test Subject Jumpsuit from Think Geek, and although it fits me great I'd like to still lose the tummy fat and some off of my thighs. Even if I do lose the weight by the time ACen rolls around, as Chell I have a feeling that PotatOS is still going to call me fat. e__e;

Good luck to everyone this winter! Don't eat too much Halloween candy. ;P
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#873 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

SO I'm going a start a No Quit November!

-I'm going to start my Julian Michaels DVD that I keep putting off.
-Go to the gym more since I'm over the cold.
-Cut out junk food/fast foods/sweets for a month except Thanksgiving.
-Water is my best friend! :thumbup:
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#874 User is offline   SupremeKai 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 58

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Think i might have to jump in the same boat your in, just have to renew my membership, and put in the extra 5 dollars so i can get a trainer to help guide the way for me
If you ever get lost in the forest, screw it build a house, now you have severely improved your predictimet

#875 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Can't tell if I've lost any weight yet (stupid shark week), but I can tell I'm making some progress. I can feel a bit of muscle tone returning to my arms, and I can handle stairs and longer walks better now. Woo!

Interesting theory more or less made fact today, too...apparently my tummy is no longer fond of Denny's and IHOP. Which is for the best, I suppose. Apparently my body wants me to really stick to my diet.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#876 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi again!

I'm checking back in to say "hi!" and just update my progress.
I'm down about 10-12lbs since starting my Sensa diet.
I can't really be 100% sure because our scale is digital and is constantly off but I do know that I see a visible thinning in my waist area.

I haven't been working out as vigorously as I should have been but I hope to get back to it once the holidays are over and I find myself with a little bit more time to focus on my dance covers. ^_^
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#877 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

I did 2 out of 4 out of my list. I'm listening to my body more and noticing changes that I never knew. Since my friend's car is forever broke, I haven't been able to go to the gym but I'll start Monday guys I swear!
Take A Good Look At Me

#878 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'll throw my lot in. Last year I was 200, and I lost 20 lbs over a few months through a strict diet plan. I ate steam-bag vegetables and frozen chicken. It was cheap, healthy, AND tasty with the right spices. I kept a steady supply of greek yogurt and made it a goal to refill a bottle of water, instead of buying tons of it. It's my healthy bachelor diet. I found cheap frozen fish, so I can add some variety.

My current workout routine is 100 push ups and sit ups throughout the day. I figure that working within a time frame, and then decreasing the time frame, is an easier goal to set than increasing reps. Once I can get a few weeks of that, I'll shorten it to an hour, then 30 mins, etc until I can do 100 push ups in a minute, and 100 sit ups in 2. Once I can do that, I'll try handstand push ups and one arm, and all those other crazy alternates.

I think I've done relatively well considering the holidays. I've gotten my appetite under control, and stopped eating from boredom and snacking on junk food. I drink, but I dance when I drink, so it balances out :thumbup: My big cosplay goal is to redo my old Venom (Guilty Gear) cosplay. I need abs of Sparta for that!
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#879 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 62857

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

I gotta slightly discouraged the other day when i weighed myself on the scale last year this time i changed my eating habits only and lost about 15-20 lbs. I started to add in more exercise into my routine and now i have gained about 10 lbs i don't get it what am i doing wrong?
ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant
Irelia base sking - League of Legends
Past Cons
ACen 2014-Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity V.1 & V.2-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

#880 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

You are probably just gaining more muscle mass - Rinzie :) It's quite normal to gain weight when exercising cause your muscles weigh more than fat. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!! Just make sure to keep eating right (whatever your diet of choice specifies) and to drink plenty of water. You'll start to see your body change more than the scale if you do that.

As for my own check in, seeing as I haven't been on here in awhile? I'm 18 pounds away from my main goal now. I hope to lose those 18 pounds before ACen, but my ULTIMATE GOAL is still pretty far off :)

The new year is approaching guys :D! Let's all make sure we stick to our weight loss/gain goals and perhaps even add new ones to our new year resolutions~
Possible 2015 Cosplays- TBA
Thursday-
Friday-
Saturday-
Sunday-

#881 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostRinzle, on 20 December 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

I started to add in more exercise into my routine and now i have gained about 10 lbs i don't get it what am i doing wrong?

Our bodies like to stay the same (homeostasis) so it's possible that increasing your calorie expenditure increased your appetite. The hard part about changing weight is knowing how much you're actually eating and being consistent about it. Food for thought!
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#882 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Today seems like a good day for me to do a check in too!

I usually am at the gym right now, but due to the change in the weather I have a headache and just feel crappy today. I've been going consistently for a few months now, and my work is paying off! My pants are fitting better, and I'm able to fit into some that I couldn't even zipper up before. The downside is that the newer jeans I had to buy a year back are falling down so bad that I've actually had to wear a belt to keep them up. I'm positive that if I keep doing what I'm doing I'll be looking good in my cosplays this spring.

For anyone who weighs themselves every day I have one tip: Don't!

Once I stopped weighing myself and stopped worrying about the fluctuations I've been much happier with my progress. I haven't been on a scale since October, and I don't want to step on it again until February or later. It can be frustrating, especially for women, to constantly check your weight. We have to deal with our monthly red demon that can cause water weight and fluctuations that can throw off the scale. Also, you gain muscle mass when doing consistent workouts, and it weighs more than fat, so that can cause the weight to go up instead of down. It's a headache when all you want to see is the number decreasing!

So to wrap it up, I'm not messing with the scale. It's a liar anyway. I'll wait until I feel my clothes getting really baggy, and then I'll check to see how much I've lost. Seeing it go down little by little is not as rewarding as waiting and seeing a huge jump down... at least that's how I feel.

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#883 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

In February, there is a charity stair climb in downtown CBus. The run is 40 floors. So, with thoughts of attempting it, I've been doing up and downs at the stairs at work floor 3 to 1 and back up. Not easy... Managed to do it twenty cycles the first time in 30 minutes. Got it down to 20 minutes recently.

#884 User is offline   Delta's Back! 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60919

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostRinzle, on 20 December 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

I gotta slightly discouraged the other day when i weighed myself on the scale last year this time i changed my eating habits only and lost about 15-20 lbs. I started to add in more exercise into my routine and now i have gained about 10 lbs i don't get it what am i doing wrong?

What kind of exercise are you doing? You may in fact be burning away fat and adding what is lost with muscle. Keeping your fiber and water in check will also help keep your body from wanting food when it really doesn't need it.

Water, water, water, I quit soda when I entered college, I came home and my large shirts were almost baggy on me! I will occasional have a rootbear but anything like Mount-dew or something high in sugar makes me ill. Holy cow, you have no idea how weight you get from soda until you stop drinking it.

Fiber is key too, keeping your system working a regular pass will help keep weight off. FiberOne bars, these things are delicious and really help.
ACen 2012: Lady in Red (orginal), Helba (Dot Hack)
ACen 2013: Pierce villiers (Alice in the Kingdom of Hearts), Helba (Dot Hack)

#885 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostDelta, on 20 December 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

What kind of exercise are you doing? You may in fact be burning away fat and adding what is lost with muscle. Keeping your fiber and water in check will also help keep your body from wanting food when it really doesn't need it.

Water, water, water, I quit soda when I entered college, I came home and my large shirts were almost baggy on me! I will occasional have a rootbear but anything like Mount-dew or something high in sugar makes me ill. Holy cow, you have no idea how weight you get from soda until you stop drinking it.

Fiber is key too, keeping your system working a regular pass will help keep weight off. FiberOne bars, these things are delicious and really help.

Ive been doing alot of hiking on an ice age trail that runs behind my house, so more walking but because its so hilly i can feel it in my calves the most. I do have a gym membership but im trying to get my best friend to tag along =^.^= workout buddy =^.^= but looks like im going to have to start going it alone need to work on my upper body and core cause thats where most of my pudge is.
ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant
Past Cons
ACen 2014-Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity V.1 & V.2-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

#886 User is offline   Delta's Back! 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60919

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostRinzle, on 20 December 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Ive been doing alot of hiking on an ice age trail that runs behind my house, so more walking but because its so hilly i can feel it in my calves the most. I do have a gym membership but im trying to get my best friend to tag along =^.^= workout buddy =^.^= but looks like im going to have to start going it alone need to work on my upper body and core cause thats where most of my pudge is.

Sounds like you are adding muscle to your calves which is a good thing in my opinion. I would say keep up the walking you will burn the fat away in no time if you keep at and keep a healthy diet. Take a mp3 player when you work out and keep at if you have free time and you will get a good work out and not even notice.

I put on meditation music during my yoga sessions and there have been times were the track ended and I didn't really notice an hour had pasted, but that is just be.

Besides it sounds like you have everything under control ^__^
ACen 2012: Lady in Red (orginal), Helba (Dot Hack)
ACen 2013: Pierce villiers (Alice in the Kingdom of Hearts), Helba (Dot Hack)

#887 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Checking in too! :lol:

I'm trying to get my friend to get back in the gym even though I am her gym buddy. Can I get a new gym buddy? I will start going alone starting the week after New Years. Got to keep going at it. Last weekend, I went to the doctor for my 3 month check up. I gained a pound but I'm sad that I didn't lose anything. But I'm glad I didn't go up by much.
Take A Good Look At Me

#888 User is offline   Shuichilove 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62063

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

The goal is Abs, I want them.
Great things come in pink! :O

#889 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostShuichilove, on 21 December 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

The goal is Abs, I want them.

Everyone has abs. The problem is being able to see the muscles. ;)

#890 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

View Postrondo, on 21 December 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

Everyone has abs. The problem is being able to see the muscles. Posted Image

Exactly! I love the feeling the day after I workout... I can feel them all sore underneath the belly fat, and it reassures me that maybe one day I'll be able to see them. I don't want sculpted abs mind you, but maybe just a little indentation. ;)

#891 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

anyone know of any good ab excercises like i said thats where most of my weight is
ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant
Past Cons
Past cosplays

#892 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostRinzle, on 26 December 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

anyone know of any good ab excercises like i said thats where most of my weight is

Spot reduction is a no no! It takes more than ab exercises to reduce body size and/or weight.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#893 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49931

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Ab exercises enhance the abdominal muscle's strength and is good for posture. You need cardio and a calorie deficiency in order to lose the body fat in order to make them increasingly more visible. Do both!
Saikyo is the basis of every single martial art! They just don't know it yet...>.>!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Genderbent Edward (Cowboy Bebop)

#894 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostRinzle, on 26 December 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

Squats and dead lifts work the abs pretty well.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#895 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Upon the recommendation/recruiting of a friend, I decided to step up my game. (Losing my job, then focusing on getting a new one, then being somewhat barred from working out at my parents' while Santa made deliveries set me back. Among other things.) I joined up on the Lose It! Android app, and the site as well. We'll see how it goes over. XD

#896 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

It's 2013 lets here those fitness resolutions! The year in title needs to be changed, Mod help is needed there.

-Back to the gym! No more lacking.
-Water only.
-More healthy foods.
-Home cook meals, less takeout.
Take A Good Look At Me

#897 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 02 January 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

It's 2013 lets here those fitness resolutions!
-Back to the gym! No more lacking.
-Water only.
-More healthy foods.
-Home cook meals, less takeout.

^ All of the above there. Now that the holidays are over, it'll be even easier to get done, too.

I've also joined up with a few cohorts using the LoseIt! app/site. It's pretty neat - it reminds me a lot of how WeightWatchers' app works, only better. If I lose weight at a steady 2 lbs/wk, I should be down to 120 by early December 2013.

#898 User is offline   Pyrochan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 91

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Any ideas/tips for gaining weight when working with a small budget? Not really gaining weight for muscle, although I do want to tone my body once I have something on my body to tone. Looking to gain up to 10 pounds (fat and muscle) by ACen, if possible.
"Am I just a prologue or something?!"

IRT 2009-2010, 2013? [callsign: Pyro]
Acen14 Cosplay ideas:
Satsuki Kiryuin [Kill la Kill] / Naru [Ghost Hunt] / Homura [PMMM] / Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi]

teamheichou @ tumblr / colorless productions

#899 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Depends on your metabolism and diet, really. It's far too easy for me to gain 10lbs, for instance, and that's just from a week or two of bad eating. Where do you want the weight to go? (Arms, hips, etc.)

#900 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

I'm trying something new for my workout, and I wanted to know if anyone else does this or something similar...

My husband was talking to his friend about taking protein supplements, and he decided to try it out for a bit to see if it helps him. Since it's in the house and it's a giant tub I decided I might want to try some too and see if it helps me out. I usually workout at noon and have lunch after, so I've started having a small protein shake right when I get home followed by lunch. I'm taking it as an after workout recovery thing. I get so sore, and protein is supposed to help your muscles rebuild faster. I do feel a little less sore today, and I really pushed myself on Friday, so I'm hoping it had an effect.

Is anyone else using a protein supplement or something like that? Has it helped?

• 40 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users