• This topic is locked

Cosplay Planning Feedback In regards to ACen 2012 Cosplay

#1 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

First, I hope this is an okay spot to post this, if not, I'll gladly let the moderators move it to another spot. Second, I don't want this thread to strictly be about my ideas for cosplay, if you want feedback from me and others, please let us know! I'd be glad to chime in my opinion. :)

Anyway, I have asked a few people on the Anime Central Facebook Group as well as my own personal friends, but I figure as those who like to cosplay and attend the conventions I should ask you all as well.

Since 2008 I have been going to Anime Central as more American-made characters (in-order: Ronald McDonald, Warden of Superjail, Disco Stu, and most recently Brak.) While I'm doing a cosplay group of the Nickelodeon show Doug (I'm going to be Skeeter), I'm thinking of doing a solo costume for 1-2 days of ACen and for C2E2 and Wizard World 2012. I'm thinking of being Pee-Wee Herman or possibly doing an anime or video game character. What do you guys think? Should I try to go with the original meaning of the convention ANIME Central and become a character from an anime series or Japanese based video game or should I go with PeeWee Herman, a wacky yet popular character?

Any and all opinions are appreciated and once again, please use this thread to gain feedback for your ideas as well. :thumbup:
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#2 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Some people get annoying when other dress outside of anime. I really don't see what their problem is. All the matters is that you're having a good time! =D So if you want to be PeeWee, go for it!

I have a question as well if people care to answer. I'm trying to figure out what gijinka Pokemon couple would be the most fun/interesting/what people would want to see! I posted a poll for my facebook friends and Gardevior and Gallade was in the lead. I really liked the idea of Roserade and Roselia or Volbeat and Illumise though...opinions/ideas are welcome! :D (Don't want Eeveevolutions or Plusle/Minun cause they're overdone)
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#3 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 15 June 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

Some people get annoying when other dress outside of anime. I really don't see what their problem is. All the matters is that you're having a good time! =D So if you want to be PeeWee, go for it!

I have a question as well if people care to answer. I'm trying to figure out what gijinka Pokemon couple would be the most fun/interesting/what people would want to see! I posted a poll for my facebook friends and Gardevior and Gallade was in the lead. I really liked the idea of Roserade and Roselia or Volbeat and Illumise though...opinions/ideas are welcome! :D (Don't want Eeveevolutions or Plusle/Minun cause they're overdone)

Thanks for the feedback Washu. :). As far as Pokemon goes, I mostly only remember the original 150. I fell out of the loop after Pokemon the First Movie, lol. But like you mentioned, whatever ones you think you can do best is up to you though popularity is also a key (so far lots of people want to see me go as PeeWee, lol.)

I can be dead wrong, but I don't recall seeing the three mystic birds ever at ACen (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres). A costume group based off those three would be cool or if you're only doing a couple two of them. Then again, I know very little about Pokemon, lol.
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#4 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

Like I said, all that matters is you have fun xd Who cares what anyone else says? ;)

And ohhh that could be doable. I've actually done Articuno before. Might bring it out of retirement and make a moltres or zapdos for the other person xD
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#5 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

I agree 100%. You can go as anyone from anything really. ^_^

#6 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

View PostSTVO, on 14 June 2011 - 08:54 PM, said:

First, I hope this is an okay spot to post this, if not, I'll gladly let the moderators move it to another spot. Second, I don't want this thread to strictly be about my ideas for cosplay, if you want feedback from me and others, please let us know! I'd be glad to chime in my opinion. :)

Anyway, I have asked a few people on the Anime Central Facebook Group as well as my own personal friends, but I figure as those who like to cosplay and attend the conventions I should ask you all as well.

Since 2008 I have been going to Anime Central as more American-made characters (in-order: Ronald McDonald, Warden of Superjail, Disco Stu, and most recently Brak.) While I'm doing a cosplay group of the Nickelodeon show Doug (I'm going to be Skeeter), I'm thinking of doing a solo costume for 1-2 days of ACen and for C2E2 and Wizard World 2012. I'm thinking of being Pee-Wee Herman or possibly doing an anime or video game character. What do you guys think? Should I try to go with the original meaning of the convention ANIME Central and become a character from an anime series or Japanese based video game or should I go with PeeWee Herman, a wacky yet popular character?

Any and all opinions are appreciated and once again, please use this thread to gain feedback for your ideas as well. :thumbup:

Heck yeah he's gonna have a great cosplay because 1.you can go as WHOEVER you want. People that ciritcize others because "they're not cosplaying ANIME at an anime convention" is just wrong. Do what you want, and it's great to see other cosplays, at least for me. Seeing Doug would be AWESOME!!!
and 2. you're working super hard to get in shape! your cosplay was already good now it's gonna be EPIC. wooo~
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#7 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

EDIT: why the heck did this double post? Gaaaah stupid internet. >///< Sorry. T_T

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 20 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#8 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

I never felt that you had to cosplay an anime character. After all, there's always a massive Doctor Who/Torchwood photoshoot at ACen.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#9 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

Yeah I'm thinking Pee-Wee Herman so far, I had a blast being him on Halloween waaaay back in 2006, so I'm thinking I will do the character again and try to make it a little more creative with props and such. :) Thanks everyone! I'll frequent this thread, so if you want some opinions, me and many others will be glad to share I'm sure. If you don't want my opinion.... TOO BAD!!!!! you're getting it anyway! ;)

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 20 June 2011 - 11:18 AM, said:

Heck yeah he's gonna have a great cosplay because 1.you can go as WHOEVER you want. People that ciritcize others because "they're not cosplaying ANIME at an anime convention" is just wrong. Do what you want, and it's great to see other cosplays, at least for me. Seeing Doug would be AWESOME!!!
and 2. you're working super hard to get in shape! your cosplay was already good now it's gonna be EPIC. wooo~

Motoko, you're too kind. :) I'll admit back in 2002 (when I first went to Anime Central) it was pretty rare seeing non-Anime costumes. Either in 2003 or 2004 I saw a few Homestar Runner characters at the convention and later on other non-Anime characters. I never had anything against it, but it was weird at first, but now, who cares?!?

Yeah, while I have my solo costume, the Doug Group is shaping up pretty well I think (as long as everyone stays committed of course, haha.) It's been awhile since I have done a group cosplay (2003 to be exact, Lupin the Third), but I'm excited for this possibility as I have wanted to do another one for awhile but mostly everyone is in disagreement. Now Doug is a group I think can work really well as I loved that show growing up and most of the friends in my group do too. If I get enough to commit, I'd like to do a group walk-on stage or possibly a skit in the masquerade. :)

BTW, I have seen your cosplay page from Ghost in the Shell, you did an awesome job! I know you're thinking of possibly going as either a Kanto Pokemon or doing the Ghost in the Shell cosplay again or a new version of it. I'm biased, but my opinion is the GitS again. But like you all said, it's YOUR decision and I'm sure whatever you pick will be AWESOME! :D

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#10 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

Dress what you want that you will enjoy and feel comfortable with you. People nitpick things that irritate them without thinking about it. Even though it's call Anime central that means you shouldn't cosplay video game characters either :rolleyes: Or half of the so called 'anime' character because they are from Manga instead of anime.

IMO I'll go with Peewee FTW
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#11 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 23 June 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

Dress what you want that you will enjoy and feel comfortable with you. People nitpick things that irritate them without thinking about it. Even though it's call Anime central that means you shouldn't cosplay video game characters either :rolleyes: Or half of the so called 'anime' character because they are from Manga instead of anime.

IMO I'll go with Peewee FTW

Thank you! Yeah I'm pretty much going with PeeWee for the days I'm not playing Skeeter Valentine, I will be him. Now I'm just trying to think of some cool props to use (Pterri, Magic Screen, I'll think it over.) Also, THERE WILL be a word of the day. :)

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#12 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

While I'm doing a cosplay group of the Nickelodeon show Doug (I'm going to be Skeeter),

Can I Please Please Please Please Please Have a picture with you! Skeeter was my hero growing up.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#13 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 23 June 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Can I Please Please Please Please Please Have a picture with you! Skeeter was my hero growing up.

Of course you can!! It's extremely rare I turn down people for picture opportunities. One year I thought I lost my camera so I was freaking out and told people at the time no (I was the Warden from Superjail, so if anyone had that incident, I really do apologize if I came off as rude, I was really bummed at that time.) The worst I would do is make sure we're not disrupting a line or blocking someone's way by saying something like "Hey let's move here" or "Let's wait until this line stops moving then we can do it."

Personally, that's why I make costumes, with them I can be an attention hog and I just like to make people laugh/smile. I'm always pleased when someone asks to take picture or get a picture with me. :) So mark your calendar for Saturday next year and look for an all-blue guy with a red shirt. :D

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#14 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

View PostSTVO, on 23 June 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

Of course you can!! It's extremely rare I turn down people for picture opportunities. One year I thought I lost my camera so I was freaking out and told people at the time no (I was the Warden from Superjail, so if anyone had that incident, I really do apologize if I came off as rude, I was really bummed at that time.) The worst I would do is make sure we're not disrupting a line or blocking someone's way by saying something like "Hey let's move here" or "Let's wait until this line stops moving then we can do it."

Personally, that's why I make costumes, with them I can be an attention hog and I just like to make people laugh/smile. I'm always pleased when someone asks to take picture or get a picture with me. :) So mark your calendar for Saturday next year and look for an all-blue guy with a red shirt. :D

Yay now you have me really exicted. By the way are you going for body paint or a blue unitard with gloves?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#15 User is offline   Miss Marie 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17089

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

On one hand, Acen is primarily an anime convention so cosplays from Japanese anime, games, manga, music, etc. are the most relevant. BUT don't forget your audience--a bevy of Westerners who grew up with exactly the characters you are thinking about cosplaying as. So while Skeeter or Pee Wee Herman aren't anime-related, believe me, they will be most appreciated by other congoers. So go for it! :thumbup:

#16 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 27 June 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

Yay now you have me really exicted. By the way are you going for body paint or a blue unitard with gloves?

So far the plan is body paint, but I am all for suggestions (that's what the thread is here for, right?) So what one of the many costumes I see you have planned are you going as? Also, I'm curious as to how the Wanda of Fairly Odd Parents looks. :)

View PostMiss Marie, on 27 June 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

On one hand, Acen is primarily an anime convention so cosplays from Japanese anime, games, manga, music, etc. are the most relevant. BUT don't forget your audience--a bevy of Westerners who grew up with exactly the characters you are thinking about cosplaying as. So while Skeeter or Pee Wee Herman aren't anime-related, believe me, they will be most appreciated by other congoers. So go for it! :thumbup:

Thanks there Miss Marie. :) I noticed my Westerner costumes have been more over than more of my video game/anime based costumes. That's mostly why I've kept doing them. LOL

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#17 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

View PostMiss Marie, on 27 June 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

So true. I flipped when I saw Beetlejuice in 2010! :D

#18 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

That Beetlejuice was awesome! There was one this year too but not sure if he's the same guy though.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users