Anime Central Forums: Duke Nukem Forever Gets Average or Lower Reviews - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever Gets Average or Lower Reviews 15 years in the making...

#1 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

http://xbox360.ign.c.../1175639p1.html

IGN gave Duke Nukem Forever a 5.5 out of 10. I personally follow IGN regularly and more often than not agree with their reviews with occasional exceptions. I'm not going to say I was "waiting forever" for this game, but I remember enjoying Duke Nukem 3D greatly when I was 12 years old. For it to take this long to produce this title and only meet with average scores is very disappointing. Too Human suffered a similar fate originally moving from PlayStation 1 to Nintendo Gamecube and finally to Xbox 360 with average reviews.

What do you guys think? Will this game disappoint? Were you ever in anticipation for this title?
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#2 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

I while skiming through the reviews I can see why the game got an average score. I have not played this new game personaly but I know what things duke nukem is known for and have seen my friends play the old games.

Considering the fact that DN is mainly known for it toilet and machist hummor, and by now must of us have out-grown that, i can see how it just went over everyones head.

Instead of playing with the idea of Duke as an anachronism, Duke returns in classic form, and he's never felt so old, so out of place, and so embarrassing. Just wait until you find the wall boobs.

On another note, the reviwer did say the shooting was solid if simple, the down side seems to be they tried adding to much other stuff to it at and didnt put as much effort into it.

That being said, critics always rate on a different scale than normal people. They look more at the thecnical aspects of video gameing. Just like movie critics you will probably never agree with them on your favorite flicks.

I think if your looking for a straigh up shooter with lots of testosterone then you will probably enjoy it, tho its not really a must have.
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#3 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:00 AM

I only wonder if people's expectations are abnormally high considering it has taken this long to get this sequel released.

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

This is something along the lines of "I have to play for myself and give my own opinion."

The reason why is because many game magazines gave FFTA2 solid reviews but many of them said it was exactly like FFA and the learning curve was just horrible. Same with FF8 and FF12 that also had mixed reviews magazine and player wise. So I take anything from a game magazine with a grain of salt.

But I do expect it to be aged since they have been trying to make this for the past 8-10 years right?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

I think what killed it were long waits and many of us (myself included) enjoying Duke Nukem as a kid or teen. IMO it hasn't aged too bad but it doesn't hold a candle at all to the FPS games of today. Even so, Duke Nukem Forever was in development for a decade and in that time many great games in that genre have been released, reviewers have stated for most part the game feels a little dated.

Currently the only games I plan on buying this year are Zelda Skyward Sword and Uncharted 3. I don't have Gamefly right now but I might rejoin it after I get some expenses out of the way and perhaps Duke Nukem will make my queue. If I get bored, I'll return it right away.

This post has been edited by STVO: 12 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#6 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

The bad reviews for Duke Nukem don't surprise me at all. Everyone played it long ago but I never got the sense people really liked it that much. I only found it fascinating then because of the funny one liners and strip club level. Would easily stop playing and head right for Doom 2 instead. Reviving dead titles is always a risk I guess.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#7 User is offline   Unlucky Slayer 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 30009

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

Personally, I don't care about reviews. I am still getting the limited edition.
In the darkness there is a singular being.

A Spectre of Reality...

#8 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

View PostUnlucky Slayer, on 13 June 2011 - 10:20 AM, said:

Personally, I don't care about reviews. I am still getting the limited edition.

I respect that. Post some thoughts after you play it. Like I said I may rent it at some point but current expectations aren't too high. I really like the Duke Nukem character a lot though.

One instance I have actually disagreed with IGN was Majora's Mask. They (as well as many others) hype it as the greatest Zelda game of all-time. While I don't think it's bad game, it is my least favorite Zelda :dodges objects being thrown: but keep in mind I have not played the CD-I Zeldas. My reasoning is that the mask gameplay while unique, strayed too far from Zelda gameplay. I love sword fighting in Zelda, these elements made it feel too much like a different adventure game. That and the fact you had to do all these ridiculous side missions to get Fierce Deity Link (who was cool) was ridiculous. They gave it a 9.8 I believe I'd more likely give it a 7.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#9 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

PC Gamer gave it a score of 80/100, which isn't bad. I personally am kind of intrigued because if the history of it, but I don't really have any interest in the crude sexual content I assume is in there a lot.

#10 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

The band Guns n' Roses did not release any albums in between The Spaghetti Incident (1993) and Chinese Democracy (2008). In other words, development took about fifteen years, much like Duke Nukem Forever. I think it's safe to say that expectations were rather high for both products... and unless the final version changed people's lives and changed the world, reviews were going to be mixed at best.

But that said, you really shouldn't put too much emphasis on critics' reviews...

#11 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

I really don't care what reviews say. We all know what was gonna be in this game. Gore, guns, tits, bad jokes, and lots of stuff blowing up. Personally since I've been wanting this game for these past 15 years and thats all I need out of a duke game, And as long as The gameplay lasts me longer then 5 hours like a other certain franchise who shall not be named. *cough, CoD, cough* then I'll be happy.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#12 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

I finally played a demo on PS3. Not impressed. While I won't say it's the worst game I've ever played, it's pretty disappointing it took around 12-15 years to make. The graphics and controls are dated and it got a little boring to me. I hope this isn't the last hurrah for Duke though. Hopefully they get the next game right. If it takes more than 5 years then just pull the plug then, we don't need another Forever.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#13 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

about the whole gamers outgrown the duke nukem poop humer i laugh, bulletstorm is about as filled with poop and manpart jokes as any game, and it came out this year and was devloeped in normal time. and don't forget spike TV, G4, rule 34, /v/, most mmo players, most gmods, and the dante inferno market team. gamers being mature is true in somewhat fasion, people with d&D backrounds seem mature, and most acen folks, but we have a far ways to go to say we have matured.

also for people who don't know the story of this game 3d realms was making the game since 1997, but due to a guy tearing down and rebuilding the game when a new unreal engiin come out, it killed 3d realms. at the time take 2 own them and give what was there for the most part to gearbox, the people behind borderlands (a good game with the same goofy humor) who just made it ready to release. so in short, the first people making it for 16 years are gone and someone came to clean up the mess.

it remind me of the thief and the cobbler. but that was announce in the 60's and was release in 90's, some of the voice actors in it are dead when it came out.

This post has been edited by Visadin the insane: 04 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#14 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 04 July 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

about the whole gamers outgrown the duke nukem poop humer i laugh, bulletstorm is about as filled with poop and manpart jokes as any game, and it came out this year and was devloeped in normal time. and don't forget spike TV, G4, rule 34, /v/, most mmo players, most gmods, and the dante inferno market team. gamers being mature is true in somewhat fasion, people with d&D backrounds seem mature, and most acen folks, but we have a far ways to go to say we have matured.

I get what you're going for, but that's a rather misguided argument. It's like saying that religious people are hate-filled biggots because Islamic extremists and the WBC exist. Of course the group is going to look bad when you point to the most noticeable and worst amongst the group, but that doesn't mean they're an accurate reflection of the whole.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#15 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 04 July 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

also for people who don't know the story of this game 3d realms was making the game since 1997, but due to a guy tearing down and rebuilding the game when a new unreal engiin come out, it killed 3d realms. at the time take 2 own them and give what was there for the most part to gearbox, the people behind borderlands (a good game with the same goofy humor) who just made it ready to release. so in short, the first people making it for 16 years are gone and someone came to clean up the mess.

it remind me of the thief and the cobbler. but that was announce in the 60's and was release in 90's, some of the voice actors in it are dead when it came out.

There are plenty of people turned off by the humor in bulletstorm as well. Regardless, it sounds like a lot of the complaints are in the gameplay. Bulletstorm has a unique gameplay in that it encourages you to find over the top and unique ways to kill your enemies. I don't believe Duke Nukem does the same.

I wouldn't go calling anyone a hypocrite yet for championing one and disliking the other.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#16 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

I don't understand where this argument is about graphics and whatnot is coming from. Who said this game is going to revolutionize graphics, phyiscs engines, etc? Nobody. Just because it took a long time doesn't mean it was going to change the face of gaming history. Everyone knew what this game was gonna be like beforehand. I never once said, "Oh my gosh, I can't wait to play DNF to see how it's changed". No I wanted a new DN game. That's it. I think someone down the line reviews get all snobby and if everything doesn't push the bar on the limits of a console then it's not "good". I give gearbox credit for sticking true to what a DN game should be.
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui

#17 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 08 July 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

I don't understand where this argument is about graphics and whatnot is coming from. Who said this game is going to revolutionize graphics, phyiscs engines, etc? Nobody. Just because it took a long time doesn't mean it was going to change the face of gaming history. Everyone knew what this game was gonna be like beforehand. I never once said, "Oh my gosh, I can't wait to play DNF to see how it's changed". No I wanted a new DN game. That's it. I think someone down the line reviews get all snobby and if everything doesn't push the bar on the limits of a console then it's not "good". I give gearbox credit for sticking true to what a DN game should be.

Okay, I agree about graphics but as far as gameplay, I disagree. It has all the mannerisms and attitude of Duke Nukem 3D (which is cool but doesn't effect the overall experience for me) but if it takes this long to make, it should be a real fun or somewhat innovative game. I'm not going to say it's not fun for others, but for me I wasn't enjoying it all that much. Innovative, definitely not unless if that stuff happens far later in the game. To me it felt like they used the Unreal engine, added some Halo elements, use Duke and the other characters, and then added nothing else of note while leaving the game dated. Plus like I said earlier, the driving controls weren't very good.

Idk, for any game that takes this long to make whether it's Duke, Zelda, or Barbie's Pony World, I think the gameplay should be a little more solid. Allegedly LA Noir took 7 years to make. While some fans may argue its quality, at least it's a more unique experience. Reviewers acknowledge that and most enjoy it.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#18 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

Maybe it's also cuz I'm just used to adapting to a control flaws on FPS's easier then other games too. I dont' see many proablms with the controls in DNF yet when I fist started picking up Mass effect 2 not having my kneel button and changing my cover controls totally messed me up in the begining....so...*shrug*

#19 User is offline   JoeSomebody2 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 58483

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

It's good to see others speaking my mind on Duke's latest game. :D It's silly male chauvinistic fun. Always has been. In that regard, Duke Nukem Forever seems like a win to me. Complaints of being immature can get tossed out the window, because Duke is a walking persona of all man and all tough. If anything is wrong with the game, it's those who are reviewing it. Sure, there are flaws in the design and loading, which can kill a game off the bat, but if that's really all? *shrug* I'm sure it plays better than Land of the Babes at least, which I touched on a few weeks ago. Now THAT was a rough game. ;)

What gets me the most is how people seem to focus on the 15 year development period. I concern myself for the gap of time between each game. In that regard, how many years did it take to get something new for Ninja Gaiden? Splatterhouse? Mega Man (original)? There are plenty of iconic games which have received some makeovers as of late, and while they all weren't in development as long as Duke, it still feel it valid to note. That it came about at all is a blessing, because there are plenty of games which have never seen the light of day, yet showed potential.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Really don't get the deal of reviewers, or what they were expecting from a game about Duke Nukem. As it goes. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users