• This topic is locked

Crossplay 101

#1 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

Please don't yell at me for asking this if you think it is a silly question, but I'm thinking of crossplaying (a male character) and I just wondered when people are in character, how important is the voice? Should I worry about going for a deep voice when I talk (not over the top, but maybe a gruff guy thing since my voice is kind of "girly"), or what is the general idea with that? Do men crossplaying as females typically change their pitch and everything? Hrmm.

#2 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

I don't think it really matters :) If you're going to be in a skit or something, then you might want to portray the character more accurate/manly (or you could be even girlier than usually for comedic effect) but otherwise just have fun with it. I personally don't really care for acting in character, my poses are in character and that's it.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#3 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9223

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

It's up to you, but the most people do is adopt the character's manner of speech (language pattern) not necessarily the pitch. And most people simply won't care.

There's a similar thread open on cosplay.com on this topic too if you want to see what other's have to say: http://www.cosplay.c...ad.php?t=241653
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group
Malory Archer w/ Archer group

(maybe)
Mabel Pines w/ Gravity Falls group
Fionna and Cake (regular and ballgown) w/ Ice Queen

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Really up to you. Some people expect you to go down to binding/changing your voice but do whatever is comfortable.

My voice is normally deep so I have no issue with doing this >w< The most I wear is a sports bra to make the folds less obvious but that's it.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

This character has a school uniform jacket, though I may consider taking it off at some point, but the shirt won't be form fitting or anything. I can probably get away with a sports bra. Thanks for the input and the link!

#6 User is offline   rikku894 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 51668

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

I think if people understand who you are, it shouldn't matter too much. I cosplayed Rachal Alucard and I don't have a british accent...and i'm not going to attemp and whined up insulting anyone D;
~2011~
Luka Megurine from Sandplay
Letter Bee from Tegami Bachi
Rachel Alucard from BlazBlue

#7 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

I honestly don't think people would care, and if they do... it really doesn't matter, so long as you are having fun lol.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#8 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:57 AM

Actually, I'd like to hear a bit more about the vocal thing on Male > Female. Currently I'm going to be brave and try crossplaying for the first time, working on being Lind from Ah! My Goddess. Her outfit actually covers the entire body, so I wasn't worrying about being an accurate portrayer of a female form as the outfit does the majority of the work, but with my deep British voice I can't imagine myself speaking at all during the convention while wearing the outfit. Like I'm creeping myself out just thinking about it right now.

Would complete silence be preferable in a situation like that?

#9 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:23 AM

View PostStkbayfield, on 08 June 2011 - 12:57 AM, said:

Actually, I'd like to hear a bit more about the vocal thing on Male > Female. Currently I'm going to be brave and try crossplaying for the first time, working on being Lind from Ah! My Goddess. Her outfit actually covers the entire body, so I wasn't worrying about being an accurate portrayer of a female form as the outfit does the majority of the work, but with my deep British voice I can't imagine myself speaking at all during the convention while wearing the outfit. Like I'm creeping myself out just thinking about it right now.

Would complete silence be preferable in a situation like that?

It's the same thing, no one should care, just have fun, and all that... but seriously, if it's getting to you, you simply need to psyche yourself up for it. Just tell yourself it won't be that bad, and soon you'll see that it isn't.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users