Mask/ Helmet Help For those seeking Mask or Helmet Help

#1 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hello!

Although I have been cosplaying for about 3 years, I still consider myself a cosplay novice because I have no idea how to use that many materials. I sew, use a glue gun and crayola model magic. This is the extent of my knowledge.

But I like to be complicated and in 2013 I plan to cosplay as Angewomon. I have plans on how to make every part of the cosplay EXCEPT...the helmet.

I feel like Resin would work best but I have no idea how to use it and therefore would LOVE some suggestions on materials to use that a novice would be able to use and grasp easily.

Some things I have heard others use/ would use as back up:
- duct tape
- paper maiche
- model magic
- Clay

I look forward to hearing suggestions!
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#2 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

???
well this would be a good time to pop out some vids
try watching my copsplay rants vids (in sig)
may i suggest
foamies
wonderflex
pvc sheeting
foam

~yay vids saving me so much ranting~

of your list, paper maiche is likely best for this job
but id use wonderflex as a first choice

This post has been edited by Millions_Knives: 02 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#3 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

I watched your resin, fiberglass and plaster of paris vids. Now i understand why they don't work. I'll def watch wonderflex since that is your first choice.

also - the last time I made paper maiche I was like...14 and it was lumpy...do you have any suggestions on how to make it smooth? Is maybe this where plaster of paris would come in?
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#4 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:42 PM

take your time
finish the project with finer papers (news paper->notebook paper-> tissue paper)
working from big to smaller strips to reduce wrinkles
and sand it once dry

This post has been edited by Millions_Knives: 02 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#5 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

WHat knives said about the papier mache (multiple layers of sequentially thinner paper, sanding), plus, use Paperclay to fill in any remaining bumps. Paperclay is great as a spackle and for fine, sculpted details. For mache, torn strips blend together better than cut strips, and alternating the direction of your strips can help minimize bumps as well. Also, if you're wanting to do some serious sanding on your mache (like you would for a super-smooth finish), you need to start with a TON of base layers -- hafta have something to sand through after all.

#6 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Ah. Thank you. I'm thinking of starting this part early so that I can test this several times, post pics when I mess up and ask for advice from my great con peoples.

#7 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

I have another question. For the paper maiche I plan to use my styrofoam wig head as a mold/base. It's about the same size as my head plus I plan on attaching the helmet/mask to the wig once I get it...eventually...

is there something I should use to stop the drying maiche from sticking to the head? I was thinking vaseline (petroleum jelly) but i don't want it to ruin the drying process...I am open for suggestions..

Also - since this is my thread and I don't mind changing topics: I need some advice on making the javelin parts of Neliel released staff. I plan on using PVC for the pole but the points...idk. Once again, I'd like it to look realistic because if I am proud of the outcome I plan on entering this as well into the hallway or maybe even the masquerade. piccy: http://fc02.devianta...k_by_JowieL.jpg

#8 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:51 AM

when its done on ppls faces they use jelly
so why not

the prop:
pvc pipe
with eps foam rings for shape
(vids for details on finishing (oh and for the sword i even put a foam point to hide the pipe))

#9 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

...i'm thinking....i need to watch a knives rant to know what eps foam is....TO YOUTUBE!

#10 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

Petroleum jelly would work, but if you're looking for a less messy alternative, simply wrapping the head in plastic wrap -- or even a cut-open plastic grocery bag -- will also do the trick. Honestly, your styrofoam head might be safe from the mache simply by being made of styrofoam, but if you're nervous, wrap it anyway (it'll keep the glue residue off the head at least).

You'll want to pad your wig head a bit to account for the size of your head + your wig that's going to go underneath the helmet.

as for the staff thingie... Giant weapons are not my forte. ^_^;; I'd probably end up doing something crazy with discarded cardboard boxes, plastic grocery bags, and masking tape. >_> About all i can say is be careful if you're planning on using that weapon in a hall cosplay -- beyond the height limitations in the rules there're also to think about the crush-of-people (especially in the habitrails) issues and the gotta-carry-it-around-all-bloody-day issues.

2011 was my first year doing giant weapons... and wow, it was made of fail. Highly elucidating, but nothing I tried worked out except the purely sculptural bits in which I already had experience anyway. A lot of the hall cosplay weapons I saw this year eschewed three dimensionality all together... and still looked pretty darn good (something which really surprised me). You should definitely post your progress when you start working on it! :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users