• This topic is locked

2011-- How did we do?

#1 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

What it says-- how were things in the video rooms this year? What did we do well, what can we improve?
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#2 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

Well I only went to one showing (Burst Angel) and it was good at first. Through the first episode things were generally good. People were quiet except for a little laughter/commenting on the anime when appropriate and not being obnoxious. Then at the second episode some guy came and sat on the seat next to me without looking first and squashed my props D: (No ones fault but my own, but really, take a look where you're sitting before you do) Decided to leave after the second episode because the room started getting really crowded. So from my slight time in the video rooms all I can suggest is to have bigger rooms with more seating available.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#3 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

I really, really wish that we could have larger rooms. Problem is, some-- many-- of the screenings just don't have that many people there. We're looking into options for using larger rooms for things that we know will be heavily-attended, but there's only so many large rooms available, and when you look at the lines for some of the panel rooms, well...

Still, I'll continue to see what I can do to get some good screenings happening in larger rooms.

Thanks for the feedback!

#4 User is offline   DeviousTstr 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60502

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

Only mistakes I saw was during the Masquerade, at the awards portion. Many pictures were shown in wrong orders, too quickly, or really not at all. Not sure if this was your department, or if you were strictly the videos, but all other videos I saw went rather well.
Kudos and good job this year! :)

#5 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:33 AM

View PostDeviousTstr, on 26 May 2011 - 08:23 PM, said:

Only mistakes I saw was during the Masquerade, at the awards portion. Many pictures were shown in wrong orders, too quickly, or really not at all. Not sure if this was your department, or if you were strictly the videos, but all other videos I saw went rather well.
Kudos and good job this year! :)

Well, this department just runs the Video Screening Rooms, not the Masquerade or the AMV room or anything. Glad to hear that the rest of it went well, though, and thanks for the feedback!

#6 User is offline   Harley Quinn 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59573

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

Please don't ever play Wet Summer Dreams again... ever. lol That was just horrible and after Viper GTS what a let down!
"Mathematics is a game played according to certain simple rules with meaningless marks on paper."

Book of Face

#7 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

So noted. (Notes to self: Plot and characterization not what people want for 4 AM adult entertainment...)

#8 User is offline   C2Queen 

• Publication Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 59630

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostUnka Josh, on 26 May 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

What it says-- how were things in the video rooms this year? What did we do well, what can we improve?

I think a way that you can attract a lot of people to video programming would be if you mix things up a little. I help run a local con in town and I'm the leader of my town's anime club. I have pretty good skills / experience with video editing and edit videos for the anime con we run and anime club meetings and night-time meets. My advice would be -- instead of streaming full episodes (which can get pretty boring, especially if you are a fan of the series and have repeatedly watched episodes, etc) Why not mix the best clips of the anime, anime openings, etc? Anime Hell focuses a bit more on actual Japanese TV humor (with real life people, etc) and 18+ humor. If you take very interesting or funny scenes from classic anime and newer anime and just play the scenes and then transition to another scene, I think it would better keep people's attention. Add in good anime openings and I think you'll have a better shot at getting people to come. Make sure to do things at a convenient time as well (not during the busiest time of the day for photoshoots, etc) so when people are bored (like after the dealers room closes around 6pm - 7pm) have a showing and have someone go around and advertise to people who look bored, etc. Maybe have a very giant pretty sign outside where ever its hosted, etc. Hope that helps =^o^= Just have your own version of Anime Hell (but focusing more on anime itself) ~ C2Queen

This post has been edited by C2Queen: 08 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

My Upcoming Cons/Events (2014): Soycon, Ramencon
Recently Attended (2014): Anime Central, Colossalcon

For general questions & questions about forum registration -- EMAIL US.

#9 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

Interesting idea.

It kind of defeats the purpose of the video rooms, however-- 24 hour entertainment, a chance for people to check out new shows or relive old favorites, etc. (As it is, we're running 5 rooms for 24 hours, so we can't really do it constantly.)

This might be a good idea for a fan panel, however, if anyone wants to create that kind of mix and show it, I suppose. But it's just not practical for our department. We show anime. It's what we do.

#10 User is offline   C2Queen 

• Publication Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 59630

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostUnka Josh, on 08 January 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

Interesting idea.

It kind of defeats the purpose of the video rooms, however-- 24 hour entertainment, a chance for people to check out new shows or relive old favorites, etc. (As it is, we're running 5 rooms for 24 hours, so we can't really do it constantly.)

This might be a good idea for a fan panel, however, if anyone wants to create that kind of mix and show it, I suppose. But it's just not practical for our department. We show anime. It's what we do.

You make a valid point. After I posted I really thought about what I said -- each thing has its own strict guidelines. I mean, like AMV department strictly runs AMV's...

I think having people go around and spread word of where the programming is, is very important. And even having a sign that's noticeable enough and draws in someones attention to where they would even dare to peek inside. Maybe line-up some more old, classic anime. Like Rurouni Kenshin (especially since a new series for it is going to be released in Japan soon), Yuyu Hakusho, etc. Stuff that is harder to find and more memorable for people. I'd think about your general audience and the age range. People get pretty specific when it comes to their anime and what they would be willing to take out for CON TIME to go and watch. I think anime like those (especially if you have the english dub) would make people happier to go and watch, etc. Not overplayed stuff though (like how FLCL has been running a lot on Adult Swim) maybe too -- air Panty and Stocking since its popularity is going off the charts (even though its still only Japanese Dub) And Highschool of the Dead. (Except those shows are 18+) I would stop by to watch some Kenshin and Yuyu hakusho, Panty and Stocking and Highschool of the Dead to be honest. I'm not familiar with the programming... since I've only been to Anime Central once and wasn't aware of how much was really going on at all times of the day. But I think that'll help, and like they said, getting bigger space =] Hope that helped >.<

This post has been edited by C2Queen: 08 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

My Upcoming Cons/Events (2014): Soycon, Ramencon
Recently Attended (2014): Anime Central, Colossalcon

For general questions & questions about forum registration -- EMAIL US.

#11 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

Heh. Actually, there's a topic in this very group for suggestions for shows we're screening, but it's locked now, because I can't keep taking new ones.

However, we <i>do</i> show lots and lots of older shows, and the schedule's in the programming book, with "Now playing" signs outside the rooms. So you have good suggestions-- and we're already doing a number of them. So hey, awesome!

...But hearing Ruroni Kenshin described as "Old, classic anime" really brings home my age... ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users