• This topic is locked

Why so early next year?

#31 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

Sucks that it's so early and makes it so people can't come, but there's nothing to do about that now. There's always next year for those who can't make it :) And I agree with Kokoro. All the extra people this year=mass chaos. Hopefully that can be sorted out next year, especially if there will be less people.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#32 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Please keep in mind that we didn't choose to move to April. We have to take the dates that the con center and all the hotels we use have available. Someone beat us to all the May weekends, so we had to settle for what was left. I like May too, but what can you do? Ask all of those other cons, conferences, trade shows, etc. to reschedule?
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#33 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

View PostSmokey, on 02 June 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

Please keep in mind that we didn't choose to move to April. We have to take the dates that the con center and all the hotels we use have available. Someone beat us to all the May weekends, so we had to settle for what was left. I like May too, but what can you do? Ask all of those other cons, conferences, trade shows, etc. to reschedule?

Haha! They really should just reschedule for us xD But in all seriousness, we should just be glad to have a con at all :)
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#34 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

I just hope I can go.It's the weekend before my finals week. It depends what class I have that Monday depends if I can go. I sure hope I can... T____T :(
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#35 User is offline   Miss Marie 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17089

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

I checked my school's calender for next year to see how it will all line up, and the Friday of Acen 2012 is my last day of uni classes for me ever (senior) :clap: But finals will start that Monday....
Also, I can't say I'm happy that less people will potentially show up for Acen next year because less attendance can't be good for the con. But I'm sure that any decreases due to the earlier date will be outweighed by growth (since Acen's been growing so much the past few years.)

#36 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

Just bear in mind, some folks weren't sure what this year's attendance would be like compared to last year, given that 2011 was right smack in graduation/finals season.

We blew last year's attendance out of the water and then some.

Soooo while there is a chance we may not see as many folks next year, the dedication and determination of these folks never fail to amaze us! :)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#37 User is offline   TheKyleAndBecky 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60598

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

well yeah at least this means its a shorter wait. and there wont be a bunch of prom ppl there that think were messing up there prom.

This post has been edited by TheKyleAndBecky: 02 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

#38 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

View PostTheKyleAndBecky, on 02 June 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

<snip>

Um...you may want to adjust your choice of description for the promgoers.

Just so the masses know, the powers that be have been alerted.

Thank ye! ^^

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 02 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#39 User is offline   TheKyleAndBecky 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60598

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

sorry about that. i adjusted it

i apoligize if i offended anyone

#40 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

If I were still going to school, there'd be overtones of aggravation in my voice and it is unfortunate for those who have school during the time ACEN takes place. But since I've graduated, that takes care of one problem... and leads to my own of it being so close to Anime Detour 2012 in early April, so there's not going to be much breathing room in between the cons. Plus I want to take a part of the CPA exam in April 2012...

But I, for one, will be glad for the weather at the earlier start for ACEN 2012. It was in the mid 70s and low 80s all during ACEN 2011, and no matter what cosplay I was in, I was usually starting to sweat or get hot in a few minutes if I stepped outside, which I often did. So hopefully with temps down a smidge since it's in late April next year, it should be a lot more bearable. If there is snow... I'll find a way to deal with it. It is the upper midwest, anyway, and I'd rather be too cold rather than too hot.
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K14 Cosplays:
Lavi (2nd outfit)- D. Gray Man, Lio Izumi- Full Moon wo Sagashite, Rei Ryugazaki (nightclub outfit)- Free!, Kamui Gakupo (Fate/Rebirth outfit)- Vocaloid

My Flickr- click for my photos

#41 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

And again, for all the people crying about how unfair this is because they have finals, etc, consider this - I was never able to go to Acen before I finally graduated from college this past December, because Acen always fell around finals week or other busy times.

Acen is in April next year. The end. :rolleyes:
Rawr. ♥

#42 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

So I guess the tl;dr is suck it up? :lol:

#43 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

View PostMystline, on 03 June 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

So I guess the tl;dr is suck it up? :lol:

Basically. Its been explained that Acen can't do anything about the timing, and didn't really have a choice about it. Also, plenty of people have been unable to attend previous Acens because of the timing. So...yeah. Suck it up. What else can you do?
Rawr. ♥

#44 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Whine and moan about it as I'm sure some people will do, unfortnately. :rolleyes:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#45 User is offline   JediNight 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 6971

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

Seems basically no matter what weekend in this 1 month window we use, it's going to be in SOMEONEs "crunch time". Although while that may make it worse for people with early exams, I'm sure there are others that are happy it's not in May bc their exams were on say the 2nd or 3rd week of May.

I'll say it again -- you know when Acen is a long long time in advance. Exam times are set by the school a month+ in advance generally, not by your teacher. So if you check the website or ask on campus you should be able to find out exactly when your exams are. Use that knowledge to study a little bit earlier. Acen is ostensibly 2.5 days only -- with a little preparation you should still be able to study for them np. Or pay attention more in class the entire time so theres less to cram at the end ;D

Obviously studying comes first, but it was always my experience that I had no problem studying around Acen and still doing well. Unless you are like an engineering or physics major, then I'm sorry :(

This post has been edited by JediNight: 07 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

#46 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

Since Acen does have a plan to normally get the dates 2 - 3 years in advance....does anyone on staff have the 2013 dates yet? I already know I won't be able to make 2012. Going to school out of state means that I just won't be able to make it in time but I have huge plans for 2013 and I'd like to have the dates in the back of my head.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#47 User is offline   Steam_Loli216 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59481

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

ahh, I'm not sure I'll make it in 2012. I'm leaving for basic training the end of this month and I'll probably be in school in Florida around this time.

But ACen this year was one of the best times of my life, you know I'll be back some day!
User is stationed in Southern California

It's a girl! Skylar Marie, born February 8th, 2013 :) Proud mama and wife and sailor

~~Dream Cosplays: -- Fai D. Flourite (Tsubasa) -- Dr. Jezebel Disraeli (Godchild) -- Seth Nightroad and Lady Asran (Trinity Blood) -- Lettuce (Tokyo Mew Mew) -- Misha (Pita Ten) -- Starfire (Teen Titans)~~

#48 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

View PostJediNight, on 07 June 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

Seems basically no matter what weekend in this 1 month window we use, it's going to be in SOMEONEs "crunch time". Although while that may make it worse for people with early exams, I'm sure there are others that are happy it's not in May bc their exams were on say the 2nd or 3rd week of May.

I'll say it again -- you know when Acen is a long long time in advance. Exam times are set by the school a month+ in advance generally, not by your teacher. So if you check the website or ask on campus you should be able to find out exactly when your exams are. Use that knowledge to study a little bit earlier. Acen is ostensibly 2.5 days only -- with a little preparation you should still be able to study for them np. Or pay attention more in class the entire time so theres less to cram at the end ;D

Obviously studying comes first, but it was always my experience that I had no problem studying around Acen and still doing well. Unless you are like an engineering or physics major, then I'm sorry :(

This; the whole thead is over. That and the notion that you can't please everyone with everything.

Steam: Good luck~ *waves a flag*
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#49 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Chief Of Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

So, since I was involved in the contract discussions, here's what happened, in long form.

We negotiated 2011-12 back in 2009. When we approached our venues, the problem wasn't both spaces booked at any one time, it was that one or the other was booked each weekend in May. Now, if my memory serves, we could have possibly used the upstairs hall in the con center, but the last time we tried that, the logistics were challenging and the lines were a mess because of registration...there's a bottleneck to that hallway by the entrance. We're bigger now, and the tieup at the dooors isn't something that we wanted to attempt with almost 10k more attendees than last time.

Anyway, so to have Hall A AND the hotel the same weekend, the last weekend in April was our date. Which is basically what everybody said, I just wanted to make it clear that it's the juggling act of negotiating two venues for the same weekend when both of them are popular.

FWIW, we already have our 2013-14 dates locked up. You know, in case the world doesn't end or anything. :)

I will doublecheck this, but I believe they are
2013: 5-17 to 5-19
2014: 5-16 to 5-18
This is my signature. It is only one line.

#50 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

It sucks for the college people, but hopefully for most of them, this date will be two weeks before finals vs. THE WEEK before finals. When I was in college I usually could squeeze by just as long as it was two weeks before finals as I would finish all my necessary work and then relax the rest of the week while the week before I would be panicking like crazy and would have to skip the con.

As a guy who works full-time, it's nice for me only because I have much less of a wait for the next ACen, that's very cool. I hope most of you all can make it next year. To those who say attendance may drop, I highly doubt it. Each and every year attendance for ACen has grown. The worst case scenario for the 2012 edition of ACen is it won't grow as much as the previous years.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#51 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 09 June 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

So, since I was involved in the contract discussions, here's what happened, in long form.

We negotiated 2011-12 back in 2009. When we approached our venues, the problem wasn't both spaces booked at any one time, it was that one or the other was booked each weekend in May. Now, if my memory serves, we could have possibly used the upstairs hall in the con center, but the last time we tried that, the logistics were challenging and the lines were a mess because of registration...there's a bottleneck to that hallway by the entrance. We're bigger now, and the tieup at the dooors isn't something that we wanted to attempt with almost 10k more attendees than last time.

Anyway, so to have Hall A AND the hotel the same weekend, the last weekend in April was our date. Which is basically what everybody said, I just wanted to make it clear that it's the juggling act of negotiating two venues for the same weekend when both of them are popular.

FWIW, we already have our 2013-14 dates locked up. You know, in case the world doesn't end or anything. :)

Yay!!! Later in May=I can go to ACEN. Yesssssssssss!!! So if I can't go in 2012 I won't feel bad because I can go the next two years. But I'm going to try to go. I just hope I won't have a pathophysiology, Nursing concepts, or health assessment final that Monday.
Thanks for telling us the later dates and telling us why EXACTLY so early. ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#52 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 09 June 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

Wait....Acen is through my birthday again?

Le sigh.

For those of you who can't make it in 2012 there is also the estimate dates for 2013-2014 that you can look forward to as well. That and you can always go to other cons too so it's not a 100% complete loss.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 20 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#53 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Chief Of Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 20 June 2011 - 06:44 PM, said:

Wait....Acen is through my birthday again?

Le sigh.

For those of you who can't make it in 2012 there is also the estimate dates for 2013-2014 that you can look forward to as well. That and you can always go to other cons too so it's not a 100% complete loss.

Wait.....there are other cons?
(kidding. I've got lots of love for many other cons. Just couldn't resist!)
This is my signature. It is only one line.

#54 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 23 June 2011 - 09:03 PM, said:

Wait.....there are other cons?
(kidding. I've got lots of love for many other cons. Just couldn't resist!)

I must bravo to that one. *claps*
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#55 User is offline   blackcat18 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16853

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

my friends were telling me it was to avoid hitting finals week...if that was the case it should have been set for june or march even...i'll just be glad that the kids wont be there for prom...their glares annoy me... <_<
ACen 2014

Female Otoya Ittoki- 100% done CANT WAIT TO GET PHOTOS WITH ALL OF YOU!

#56 User is offline   Stormy-chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 51456

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:54 AM

View Postblackcat18, on 25 October 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

my friends were telling me it was to avoid hitting finals week...if that was the case it should have been set for june or march even...i'll just be glad that the kids wont be there for prom...their glares annoy me... <_<

From what has been said these dates are booked a few years out, so when booking this date/weekend it must have been the only one available close to when it normally occurs. It is a big venue and very busy, so Im sure it is interesting trying to book it for what Acen needs from year to three years out. Hopefully everyone who wants to attend can if they have school at that time. Luckily being an older con goer its no problem for me to ask for different dates off from work :)

#57 User is offline   Aphex 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 27543

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Since Acen is in April, I'll won't have to worry about finals since their around May-June. :3

#58 User is offline   Hotel Relations Autobot 

• Hotel and Convention Site Relations Officer
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61078

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

View PostAphex, on 27 October 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

Since Acen is in April, I'll won't have to worry about finals since their around May-June. :3

If you'd like a little more info about why hotels and conference space were so locked up for 2012 that far in advance...

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=8208613

June 23, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- World leaders are gathering in Chicago next year for two international summits. Both the NATO and the G8 summits will be held in May.

Wow. Just...wow!

Imagine the delegations arriving along with our cosplayers. :) AWESOME!

#59 User is offline   Se Ga Hikui 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59701

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:36 AM

The change in date seems to be a very positive thing for a lot of the college kids working on trimester systems. Over where I go, even the avid anime club members and con-goers had to skip Acen due to how close finals were! I'm a freshman over at the college, so I do not know how a May verse an April convention would affect me. I know for sure that there is going to be some crazy Chicago weather going on! I lived there for the majority of my life and April is crazy! Though, how cool would it be if there was a thunderstorm at night? Talk about epic effects.
Cosplaying As:

-Shindo Shuichi [Gravitation]
-Hiroki Kamijo [Junjou Romantica]
-Ritsuka Aoyagi [Loveless]
-Ciel Phantomhive [Kuroshitsuji]
-Rio Takeuchi [Spiral Suiri no Kizuna]
-Jyou [Exist Trace]

#60 User is offline   Elf From Space 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 9701

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostMMAOtaku-ESH, on 02 June 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

Is it possible to try and hold ACen further in summer, say even if not May, like early/mid June to try and get more people during summer break. I'm just worried that as a con, attendance won't grow or even shrink due to it being.pushed to April.

Hmmm.. I was going to complain, but now I read this and might be a good thing! It's getting TOO CROWDED!

Only bad thing is at least one of my friends can't make it due to the dates and that is a bad bad thing

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users