• This topic is locked

Why so early next year?

#1 User is offline   ccaccus 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60328

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Sorry if this has been posted before... :sweatdrop:

I just found that Acen will be held April 27-29 next year... which is, to me, really early. Last year, I got home from college the Thursday before Acen and basically unpacked my college stuff, repacked for Acen, and left again the next morning. If it had been any earlier, I couldn't have gone. Luckily I'm a graduate now and wouldn't have to worry about missing Acen while away at school, but many congoers are college-age and would still be away at college that weekend, including several of my friends.

Any particular reason for the early date?

#2 User is online   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

I was actually wondering the same thing. Acen is generally held middle/late May...having it late April seems odd.
ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 30%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 60%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 20%

Moved to 2016: Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#3 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

It has to do with when the convention center was available I believe.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#4 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

i don't mind, just means a shorter wait ^_^...then a longer one T_T

Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#5 User is offline   DJ F00P 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 15390

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

Why would they do that? most of the people I know who go are kids who are back from college, which they can't do if school isn't let out yet...

#6 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

I thought the date was weird too.

I don't mind because I work and just say this date but.....I know a lot of people won't be able to make it because of the April date being near finals >.<

It hasn't been in April in a very very long time and for the past few years has been in May.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#7 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

i thought alot of finals were during acen week too.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#8 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

View PostKasin, on 26 May 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

i thought alot of finals were during acen week too.

They are. Some schools don't get out in April, guys. Some don't get out until late May/ early June. Like mine. This year it landed on the weekend right before finals so some people I know didn't go because of projects and stuff, or didn't decide to go until last minute because they weren't sure what was going to be going on that weekend.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#9 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

From what I remember reading there's a convention that bought the date before MAPS could get it. So they had to settle for the earlier date. I know it will be hard for some people, and that is a shame.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#10 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

It is early next year. I totally forgot. I kind of like it, in the sense that the weather is (usually) a little more predictable. It's normally not snowing anymore and the almost daily rainfalls of Spring hasn't started yet. Anime Detour is in early April and I like that because it's right around the time where layers aren't needed anymore to stay warm.

Yeah, it does suck for those still in school, but people still have that problem with it being in May too. That happens with late Spring cons, it's a fact you just have to deal with.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#11 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

The only problem I have with this date is Chicago weather; it doesn't get warm until like late May/early June and this year it has been horrible in terms of raining/cold.

Thank goodness cosplaying Russia next year instead of something skimpy.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#12 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

Getting the con center and hotel dates at the same time is a tricky process, especially with all the events held during the course of the year(s). Not only do most organizations set dates a year or three ahead of time, but some will reserve dates a good 5+ years ahead. With that kind of scheduling, you more or less have to hope that you get the dates you want/need.

In addition, as unfortunate as it is, no matter how hard we try...you can't please everybody. No matter what dates we get, there will usually be some folks who will be out of state/country, or still in school/about to graduate, or can't get off work. (Then, of course, there were the times when the con landed on or around Mother's Day...oy vey.) That's not to say we don't try our darnedest to get good dates. We want as many people to come as possible. However, it's a competition of sorts between MAPS/ACen and other organizations/businesses/events. (Hall A, for instance, is HUGE - imagine how many other events that might take place at the same time as ACen would want that chunk of territory. The RV convention, for instance.) In the end, we do try to get dates that will work for the venues we need, and the people whom we hope can come. But whether it lands in April or May, not everyone may be pleased. :(
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#13 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

I can still go in April but my friends all have finals to study for so they might aim to go on Saturday that is if they can if not then I'll be alone for the first time in our Acen history. :thumbdown:
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#14 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

I remember they locked in the date last year, I think the reason was, it was already reserved by another Con in may as of last year Acen the 13th (2010). I also think they have the following year also reserved as of last year. I'll let someone with the proper information post that up if so I don't put any erroneous dates up.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#15 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 1105

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'm actually glad for the early date next year. If it were mid-late May again I'd miss my graduation. This year it fell the weekend after finals for myself and my friends... previous years have been similar. So yay for me!

Having it early is better than falling right on finals week. Missing one class is better than having to miss part of con because of taking a final, IMHO.

This post has been edited by Brightdreamer: 26 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

"You think so too, right?"

#16 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

No matter what weekend ACen falls on, it will inconvenience someone. ACen had a trend of being on mother's day weekend a few years ago. It was always fun explaining to mom where I was on Mother's day weekend.
~~

#17 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

Like Valkyrie said, it's hard to book these cons. The professional convention I sometimes attend has to book TEN YEARS in advance to ensure getting a large enough venue. It's mind-boggling to think that far in advance but the bigger the event the further out you need to book (mind you, I'm talking about a professional conference that draws an attendance somewhere in the five-to-six digit figures).

As far as being in April with Chicago weather...I think Acen 2012 will be the year of the layered costume! Or who knows, we may end up with 90 degree highs - it is Chicago after all! ;)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#18 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

Well if the weather holds, we should be getting el nino soon rather then the la nina that we've been having. So I would not be suprised if we have heat suddenly.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#19 User is offline   Vinja Ryou 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 3078

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

If it is indeed chilly next year, then it should make it evident as to who's truly from the Midwest and who isn't just by the people who dare to wear their short skirts/shirts and open shirts/lack a shirt, *lol*

#20 User is offline   LordCanti 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19521

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

i would rather it be later then sooner because if next year is anything like it was this year in April there will be snow :<
Lets be friends :3
Facebook :o
last.fm my music tastes ;3
Newly made deviantART :x
Working on Making Props for my Stiyl Magnus Cosplay

#21 User is offline   LeenStar 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 41063

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

I can still go because I live in the city, and I don't end my Spring semesters until May anyways. The only thing I fear is the cold... April in Chicago is not exactly the friendliest. It's just another reason why they should allow bags next year, so we have somewhere to put our sweaters/jackets! :P

leenstarsx3

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein.

#22 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

I can see the merch booths selling lots of hoodies next year, and boots, and gloves, and scarves and hats. :thumbup:

Pardon the Pause

#23 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

maybe the proms reserved the dates to spite us :o LOL

#24 User is offline   Chao-Fangirl 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 19459

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

I just checked the academic calendar for the college I attend. If I manage to get Monday-Thursday classes again next spring, then ACen would take place the day after my last day of classes, with the following week being finals week. I guess it's a good thing I will be signing up for spring 2012 classes a month before artist alley registration will be opening, as that will determine whether or not I will be able to attend. It's 10+ hour drive for me. So... XD

#25 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

Others have hit it right on the mark. Certain conventions/conferences have booked the venue further out that we have. Our usual contract length is 2-3 years out.
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#26 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

Well... It's always going to be an inconvenience to someone. It's not like the ACen staff are miracle workers, they can't set the perfect date every year. I bet the con center is fully booked for May.
Just use your ACen money and go to a different con if you can't make it.

This post has been edited by Mystline: 31 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

#27 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

Well here is a positive. I can say I attended Acen 2 different years and was 33 both times :)
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#28 User is offline   MMAOtaku-ESH 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60104

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

Is it possible to try and hold ACen further in summer, say even if not May, like early/mid June to try and get more people during summer break. I'm just worried that as a con, attendance won't grow or even shrink due to it being.pushed to April.
2012 Cosplay- Lelouch vi Britiania (Ashford Uniform/Zero/Neko)

#29 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

Acen's date is set for next year. It's not going to change.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#30 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

I don't know if we really need attendance to grow that much. <_< Not until Acen gets more organized, anyway.
Rawr. ♥

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users