Anime Central Forums: Anime News Network (Press, Industry) - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Anime News Network (Press, Industry)

#1 User is offline   Menchi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11059

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com

Love 'em or don't, Everyone knows Anime News Network, they are currently at the forefront of the American Anime industry and are a force to be reckoned with. They've transformed from a purely "news" site to a veritable "Wikipedia" of Anime, Manga, Seiyuu, and Industry database (more often than not, you'll see even most Wikipedia articles quoting, referencing, and linking ANN for their resources). They are important because:

1) Encyclopedia. Constantly checked for QC, and constantly edited by users almost nowhere else can you find more up-to-date information regarding anything anime.

2) Editorials, News, Reviews. They are in sync with Japan and constantly offer "season previews" for upcoming anime seasons, giving Western fans an instant window into new titles, something a few years back would take MONTHS for any Western company to make mention of a new Japanese title. Their writers are quite opinionated, and to some a turn-off but they counter this by having several writers, each with a fresh perspective and different ways of looking at things. In addition, they are well known for their Weekly columns focused on Gaming (Right Turn Only), Q&A (Answerman) and rare and forgotten titles. They're pretty much the first site I visit when trying to find out what's new in the Anime world.

3) Streaming Video. They've transformed from a news site to a media database that's right up there competing with the likes of Crunchyroll, Funimation, and others. They've had several "simulcasts" of shows that air in conjunction with Japanese seasons, as well as older titles that they have gained the streaming rights to.

4) Convention Coverage. They have covered countless major conventions in the past, giving them HUGE exposure, adspace, etc. Why not ACEN 2012?

ANN is a pretty darn huge name in the Western Anime industry and it would truly be a shame to ignore them in the future.

#2 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Actually, BakaOrochi has been in contact with ANN for some time now. And, if you look at their Conventions page (http://www.animenews...com/convention/), you'll see a report on the industry panels already up.

Last I heard, ANN lacked of reporters in the Midwest region, which accounts for the lower coverage of ACen. I'd have to ask our Press department what presence ANN had this year, but the timeliness of the two reports above indicates at least some people on the ground :)

#3 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

And at the same time, ANN could be more than a press presence. We will make sure to interface with them to see what they would like to do for ACen 2012.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#4 User is offline   Menchi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11059

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

View PostEl Ken, on 26 May 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

And at the same time, ANN could be more than a press presence. We will make sure to interface with them to see what they would like to do for ACen 2012.

Yeah pretty much, this was what I was thinking. I mean it might not have been feasible with 2011, but with the "15th" coming up and all, I was picturing both "press coverage" as well as actual "con coverage" (for example, look at their coverage of NYAF, A-X, etc.) To get some of the editorial staff, writers, etc as guests and for them to host their own panel would be awesome.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users