Why can't we have nice things?

#151 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 29 May 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

That's with any age but I see a lot of younger people at Acen doing it more.

Wondering what can we do about things like this? Cleaning costs is part of the damage costs isn't it? I heard some unsavory things about the washroom near the rave and the floor inside....

Yes, but it alarms me more when I see 13-year-old girls acting like prostitutes than when some 20-year-old is doing it. When it's the latter it's just pathetic, but the former? Murky waters ahead. :pirate2:

Ew, really? DO NOT WANT TO KNOW. :lol:

This post has been edited by Kokoro: 29 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Rawr. ♥

#152 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Yes I mentioned in another thread about the 17 and 19 year old who were drunk during the Rave.

If cleaning costs is part of Anime central's damage cost then I think there should be a solution to this, especially if we have to pay more out of pocket because of the cleaning staff cleaning up after the less mature people.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#153 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

Does IRT apprehend people who are visibly drunk and underage? Or ask people who are wasted and not obviously over 21 to show ID?
Rawr. ♥

#154 User is offline   Accidental Suicide Bomber 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 17156

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

View PostSmokey, on 29 May 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

The real problem is that there are way too many people there that just aren't mature enough to be out of their parent's supervision for a weekend. I blame the parents who allow their kids to go traveling alone without first teaching them how to conduct themselves in a public setting.
Maybe we should start requiring minors to be accompanied by an adult.

Doesn't stop adults from acting like complete morons, but it certainly helps with the underage idiots. Which would be a good start. Eliminate one group of foolish people, and you can focus on stopping the second. This isn't too much of a jump since most of the hotels require someone 21+ to be present at check in anyway. It might crowd the parking lots a little more, but it's an acceptable solution to a difficult problem.

The question remains if there is something else us attendees can do to help prevent further damages. Is there a way that we could get security cameras, or extra staff, or SOMETHING that would help protect Acen from further idiocy? Maybe a "Stupid crap" fund -donated to by willing con members and people billed for damages- with the sole purpose of alleviating costs to MAPS in the event of unavoidable stupidity? If you think it would help, I'll happily set it up.
IRT Hotline: (224) 325-4042
Because all of Acen shouldn't have to pay for the actions of one idiot.

-I ran a room for acen 2011, and intend to run one for 2012. A link will go here when I make a reservation.-

#155 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

The best way to combat is for everyone who isn't out-of-control wasted to help. Just about everyone has a phone nowadays. When you get your con guide book, look up IRTs hotline and program it into your phone. If you see something harmful or illegal going on, or smell something illegal being smoked, or have a good idea of where that vodka bottle than just fell past your balcony came from, call in and tell them about it.

Imagine how much more effective IRT can be with another thousand pair of eyes watching things.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#156 User is offline   Accidental Suicide Bomber 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

View PostKokoro, on 29 May 2011 - 03:17 PM, said:

Does IRT apprehend people who are visibly drunk and underage? Or ask people who are wasted and not obviously over 21 to show ID?

From what I've seen, they do deal with individuals who are obviously intoxicated in public by handing them over to the Rosemont Police Department, regardless of age.

-I ran a room for acen 2011, and intend to run one for 2012. A link will go here when I make a reservation.-

#157 User is offline   Accidental Suicide Bomber 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostSmokey, on 29 May 2011 - 03:37 PM, said:

The best way to combat is for everyone who isn't out-of-control wasted to help. Just about everyone has a phone nowadays. When you get your con guide book, look up IRTs hotline and program it into your phone. If you see something harmful or illegal going on, or smell something illegal being smoked, or have a good idea of where that vodka bottle than just fell past your balcony came from, call in and tell them about it.

Imagine how much more effective IRT can be with another thousand pair of eyes watching things.

true. come to think of it, I might have a way to help promote the number. *off to change her signature!*

#158 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

Eliminating room parties (and certainly not the rave) isn't really a solution IMO. Certain parties do get out of hand, and trust me when I say, IRT does take care of it. There are parties though, like the Anime Punch party, that really do police things. They check ID and kick out those who are causing problems. This year, everytime I came out of a room party there were IRT there on the floor, ready to take care of any potential problems.

Personally, I like the idea of an age limit on The Soap Bubble. There are a lot of people I know who completely avoid it due to all the 'jail bait'.

**All things said here are my own personal opinion. Not MAPS, ACen's, or any other staff member's unless they specifically say so.
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#159 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 30 May 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

This year, everytime I came out of a room party there were IRT there on the floor, ready to take care of any potential problems.

It's good that was the case, but the damage did happen. What is the next step?

View PostKungPowKirby, on 30 May 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

Personally, I like the idea of an age limit on The Soap Bubble. There are a lot of people I know who completely avoid it due to all the 'jail bait'.

Dancing in the soap bubble with jail bait won't do anything. It's afterward that would be a problem.

If these people are not at the rave, then they are somewhere else. Giving them fewer safe options doesn't sound like a good idea. To my knowledge nothing damaging has happened in the main programming room. If they are in there, they won't be causing trouble.

This post has been edited by Scott: 30 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

#160 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

View PostScott, on 30 May 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

It's good that was the case, but the damage did happen. What is the next step?

This comment was more for those saying IRT did nothing to help deter the room parties/drunks.

Dancing in the soap bubble with jail bait won't do anything. It's afterward that would be a problem.

Very much not true. They are more worried about some kid coming up (probably half naked) and bumping and griding themselves against them, then having mommy and daddy saying you assulted my son/daughter. Attendies can't exactly check ID on their dance partners. It happens more than you might think in outside life, so it could easily happen there. The fact is, even if its ok with the kid, until they are at the age of consent the parents and police can do whatever they want essentially.

If these people are not at the rave, then they are somewhere else. Giving them fewer safe options doesn't sound like a good idea. To my knowledge nothing damaging has happened in the main programming room. If they are in there, they won't be causing trouble.

I agree. If I sounded like I wasn't I'm sorry.
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#161 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

View PostLady Leopardess, on 29 May 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

I've only read up to page 3 , and I didn't see anyone suggest this.
What if you make it like college.(where everyone in the general area gets charged) It seems as though most instances of destruction people know what floor the object or damage came from. And usually what side of the building. That way you can probably narrow it down to ten rooms or less. Charge all those rooms a fine ( or a portion of the damages) for the act unless someone rats out the one person (or room) that did it) . That way it will encourage people to rat out people and it will discourage people from allowing other people to be stupid.

I really like this idea. Similar thing happens at my college. The fire alarms in the dorms can be set off just by accidentally hitting them, and if they go off when there isn't an emergency everyone in the dorms has to pay 5 bucks unless the person who did it comes forward, then only they have to pay 5$. No one wants to be charged for something they didn't do, so I think this idea could really work (though I'm not sure if it could be enforced in a con/hotel setting...still, good idea)
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#162 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 31 May 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

I really like this idea. Similar thing happens at my college. The fire alarms in the dorms can be set off just by accidentally hitting them, and if they go off when there isn't an emergency everyone in the dorms has to pay 5 bucks unless the person who did it comes forward, then only they have to pay 5$. No one wants to be charged for something they didn't do, so I think this idea could really work (though I'm not sure if it could be enforced in a con/hotel setting...still, good idea)

If I had the misfortune of being in a room next to a group of dumb, destructive idiots, and they caused massive damage that Acen tried to make a whole group of innocent people pay for because they couldn't pinpoint the actual offender... I would LOSE it. There's no way I would pay. Or ever come back to Acen. What if the damage they caused was hundreds or thousands of dollars?

I am not paying for other people's stupidity.
Rawr. ♥

#163 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 31 May 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

I can't see on how you could enforce this?

This post has been edited by opimus.rm: 31 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#164 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

I really wish people implemented the buddy system when partying more. Watch your friends, check on them, and take care of them if something bad is about to happen.

I have a really close knit of friends we that do this with and it has prevented so many bad incidents from occurring.

Also here is my suggestion. If the room party floor is put into effect in the future the person that is in charge of the room should be in contact of whomever is putting together of the room party floor staff wise. Any damages that are made that is linked coming from that room should apply to the person checked into it. This could hopefully have someone speak up. Yes, it does give the person that is checked into the room some pretty nasty consequences but puts more responsibility to watch who you bring in and keep an eye on any suspicious behavior.

#165 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

View PostKokoro, on 31 May 2011 - 09:12 AM, said:

If I had the misfortune of being in a room next to a group of dumb, destructive idiots, and they caused massive damage that Acen tried to make a whole group of innocent people pay for because they couldn't pinpoint the actual offender... I would LOSE it. There's no way I would pay. Or ever come back to Acen. What if the damage they caused was hundreds or thousands of dollars?I am not paying for other people's stupidity.

That's basically the point. You don't want to pay, and neither do others who didn't do it. Basically something like this might make people think "Huh, you know, the room next to me is insanely loud and obnoxious and it sounds like things are breaking. I should tell IRT/hotel people about them so I'm not blamed for being in the area" It's the kind of rule that makes innocent people more likely to report the troublemakers so they don't end up in any trouble themselves. (Not saying this is some end all solution, but I think something like this is at least worth looking into)

View Postopimus.rm, on 31 May 2011 - 09:29 AM, said:

I can't see on how you could enforce this?

I'm not sure how it would work, just an idea. As an example, say this had been a rule last year and it was included in the contract people signed to get their rooms. They said they basically know who threw the bottle, but can't pin it down on one person. If this rule was in effect and you were with the person who threw it, wouldn't you want to step up and say "Hey, it was him not me!" to avoid having to pay a portion yourself because it was in your area? Again, not saying this will work, because I'm not sure if it could be enforced either, but worth taking into consideration.

This post has been edited by Washu Takahashi: 31 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

ACen 2014 Schedule

#166 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 31 May 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

That's basically the point. You don't want to pay, and neither do others who didn't do it. Basically something like this might make people think "Huh, you know, the room next to me is insanely loud and obnoxious and it sounds like things are breaking. I should tell IRT/hotel people about them so I'm not blamed for being in the area" It's the kind of rule that makes innocent people more likely to report the troublemakers so they don't end up in any trouble themselves. (Not saying this is some end all solution, but I think something like this is at least worth looking into)

Except I WOULD call the hotel if someone was being overly loud/it sounded like stuff was breaking, rule or no rule, because I'm a responsible person. I can tell you right now I wouldn't return to Acen if they had this rule, because I may NOT hear the damage occurring, and therefore can not stop it. God only knows, someone could cause damage that costs over $1000. You could have innocent people paying $100+ because of some idiot. You think people are going to be happy about that? I think not. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Rawr. ♥

#167 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostKokoro, on 31 May 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

Except I WOULD call the hotel if someone was being overly loud/it sounded like stuff was breaking, rule or no rule, because I'm a responsible person. I can tell you right now I wouldn't return to Acen if they had this rule, because I may NOT hear the damage occurring, and therefore can not stop it. God only knows, someone could cause damage that costs over $1000. You could have innocent people paying $100+ because of some idiot. You think people are going to be happy about that? I think not. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Well I'm glad you're responsible, but obviously not everyone at Acen is. And besides, this doesn't have to be a strictly enforced rule. My original example was that my college uses this for if someone sets off the fire alarm. The rule has yet to be enforced (to my knowledge) but I've been through 3 or 4 alarms. A rule like this in place could possibly prevent damage/make other people want to speak up, even if it isn't strongly enforced. (The secret is to let people THINK it's strongly enforced. I know everyone in my freshman class was petrified of hitting the alarms because they didn't want to pay)

Also, I was just agreeing with what someone else said when I said this was a good idea. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and ours are obviously different. Don't shoot the messenger. And if you don't like rules Acen puts in place...DON'T USE THEIR HOTELS. Honestly, it's the easiest solution. I probably save a good 100-200 bucks a year by using littler known hotels within 15 minutes of Acen than using the Hyatt/Hilton/whatever is right there. It's way cheaper to stay in a small hotel that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to stay there, even after you calculate in parking and gas costs.

This post has been edited by Washu Takahashi: 31 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

ACen 2014 Schedule

#168 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 31 May 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

Well I'm glad you're responsible, but obviously not every at Acen is. And besides, this doesn't have to be a strictly enforced rule. My original example was that my college uses this for if someone sets off the fire alarm. The rule has yet to be enforced (to my knowledge) but I've been through 3 or 4 alarms. A rule like this in place could possibly pretend damage/makes other people want to speak up, even if it isn't strongly enforced.

Also, I was just agreeing with what someone else said when I said this was a good idea. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and ours are obviously different. Don't shoot the messenger. And if you don't like rules Acen puts in place...DON'T USE THEIR HOTELS. Honestly, it's the easiest solution. I probably save a good 100-200 bucks a year by using littler known hotels within 15 minutes of Acen than using the Hyatt/Hilton/whatever is right there. It's way cheaper to stay in a small hotel that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to stay there, even after you calculate in parking and gas costs.

But it's not my problem that other people aren't responsible. That's for IRT and police to deal with, not regular con-goers. We can keep our eyes and ears open and report things as needed, but again, to punish us because someone else doesn't have half a brain is utterly unfair. I dealt with baloney like that when I was in college. I'm a big girl now and I certainly don't need to deal with it at an event I pay a lot of money to go to.

So I'd be punished by not being able to stay at one of the more convenient hotels (the Hyatt itself or preferably the Hilton) because then I would have to worry about possibly getting hit with fees for other people's mistakes? Again, no. I paid a lot to go to Acen this year. And I'm still not sure the money was totally worth it. Having to go out of my way to stay at a hotel not near the Hyatt would not be acceptable in my book, because I need a place to run back to with bags/merchandise (no bag check at ACen, and storing it in a car isn't safe), etc.

Also, I'm not "shooting the messenger." It's called having a discussion. And discussions aren't always fluffy and happy and made up of sunshine and kittens. I'm giving my reasons as to why I think this idea would be horrible.
Rawr. ♥

#169 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

Well, sometimes treating people like they're kids is the only way to make them behave. But we have very different opinions on this matter and I'm done arguing it, now it's up to whoever the higher ups are to decide if any of that information will be of any use to them or not.

I'd like to go into more details on why I prefer other hotels, but that's rather off topic so I'll leave it at this. I like saving money. Therefore, I go to smaller hotels. I agree with you on the bag check (that'd be a nice suggestion to throw in somewhere, though I suppose it would be a LOT of work to implement something like that at Acen) And I've never had an issue with leaving things in my car. Been going to Acen for 5 years, and every year I deposit things in my car. So long as your doors lock you shouldn't have a problem. (Of course people know how to break locks, but generally it's all good in such a crowded place) I'd rant more about why I like other hotels, but that's off topic so I'll end this here.
ACen 2014 Schedule

#170 User is offline   pepperbots 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59228

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

I'm pretty sure this was on Saturday night during the PSwG photoshoot. Somebody said it sounded like one of the lightbulbs in the dome had shattered, but I couldn't see any damage to the dome at the time.

It's really upsetting that just one person will be responsible for ruining it for everybody. :/ I can't even imagine why someone would think it's funny to do things like that.
ACen 2013 Cosplays: Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)
-
ACParadise | Facebook

#171 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:34 PM

View Postshell, on 31 May 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure this was on Saturday night during the PSwG photoshoot. Somebody said it sounded like one of the lightbulbs in the dome had shattered, but I couldn't see any damage to the dome at the time.

It's really upsetting that just one person will be responsible for ruining it for everybody. :/ I can't even imagine why someone would think it's funny to do things like that.

I was at that meetup as well. Now that you mention it, I think I remember a loud sound...

#172 User is offline   Perfumer Ko 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59547

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

View PostKokoro, on 31 May 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

But it's not my problem that other people aren't responsible.

That's not really fair, since quite a few people were asking for an entry charge to the Soap Bubble... There are plenty of people who don't cause trouble who also attend the Soap Bubble who would be willing to pay a little more so that the convention can continue to get guests and things because of the damage idiots cause. Or charging more on badges to help compensate for the damage. Sure, you aren't responsible. But we, con-goers as a whole, ARE responsible to watch out for our own. I don't blame you for not wanting to take $100+ because someone on your hotel floor decided to throw out a bottle... but that's why everyone should keep an eye out for each other.

#173 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostPerfumer Ko, on 02 June 2011 - 12:24 AM, said:

That's not really fair, since quite a few people were asking for an entry charge to the Soap Bubble... There are plenty of people who don't cause trouble who also attend the Soap Bubble who would be willing to pay a little more so that the convention can continue to get guests and things because of the damage idiots cause. Or charging more on badges to help compensate for the damage. Sure, you aren't responsible. But we, con-goers as a whole, ARE responsible to watch out for our own. I don't blame you for not wanting to take $100+ because someone on your hotel floor decided to throw out a bottle... but that's why everyone should keep an eye out for each other.

Thank you, for saying what I was trying to say in a much clearer way. No one WANTS to pay for something someone else did, but if some irresponsible people are going to do stupid things, and no responsible people step up to turn them in/stop them, the "responsible" people are just as responsible for the damages. No one wants to pay for these damages, but someone has to. I'd rather the people potentially responsible that were in that area pay for the damages than Acen itself. The lack of guests this year was rather disappointing. (Not saying I'm not happy for the ones we had, but more is always better) And if we keep wasting money on things like this it takes away from other things.
ACen 2014 Schedule

#174 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

What if it's a respect thing? If IRT and staff aren't respectful of attendees, a complete lack of care could be someone's way of saying a big F U to Acen.

Not everyone goes to the forums or gripe session. It's petty, but I could see someone doing this. "so and so was a jerk. Let's make their job harder."
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#175 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

View PostPerfumer Ko, on 02 June 2011 - 12:24 AM, said:

Fine. Charge more to get into the Soap Bubble or add $4 to the badge price. Paying a tiny bit extra for an event is fine with me. Charging innocent people for damage caused by some drunken idiot is not, especially when that charge may be VERY HIGH. That could be a charge I'm unable to pay because I'm not rich. I rather pay a small, fixed price increase than have the threat of expensive damage looming over my head all weekend.

I disagree. I am no one's mother. I will report behavior ASAP if I see something that requires reporting. But I will not baby other con-goers and go out of my way to make sure they don't do something wrong, drink too much, etc (these people are total strangers to me anyway - why would they listen to me?). I pay a lot of money to go to Acen for fun, not to be a babysitter. Again, it's not my responsibility to try to PREVENT bad behavior. It IS my responsibility to report bad behavior IF I am lucky enough to see it occur. But if the problem is getting that bad, we need more IRT and police on the scene. It's not like I can apprehend someone anyway. I can only report them, and by the time I do that the offender may have run off, and then they may not be caught at all. I can describe him/her to police, but that's no guarantee he'll be caught. There are over 20,000 people running around at Acen.

This post has been edited by Kokoro: 02 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

Rawr. ♥

#176 User is offline   Perfumer Ko 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59547

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:10 AM

View PostKokoro, on 02 June 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

Fine. Charge more to get into the Soap Bubble or add $4 to the badge price. Paying a tiny bit extra for an event is fine with me. Charging innocent people for damage caused by some drunken idiot is not, especially when that charge may be VERY HIGH. That could be a charge I'm unable to pay because I'm not rich. I rather pay a small, fixed price increase than have the threat of expensive damage looming over my head all weekend.

I disagree. I am no one's mother. I will report behavior ASAP if I see something that requires reporting. But I will not baby other con-goers and go out of my way to make sure they don't do something wrong, drink too much, etc (these people are total strangers to me anyway - why would they listen to me?). I pay a lot of money to go to Acen for fun, not to be a babysitter. Again, it's not my responsibility to try to PREVENT bad behavior. It IS my responsibility to report bad behavior IF I am lucky enough to see it occur. But if the problem is getting that bad, we need more IRT and police on the scene. It's not like I can apprehend someone anyway. I can only report them, and by the time I do that the offender may have run off, and then they may not be caught at all. I can describe him/her to police, but that's no guarantee he'll be caught. There are over 20,000 people running around at Acen.

I don't think anyone expects anyone to be responsible for preventing any sort of crimes or misbehavior. That's clearly IRT's job.

I agree that there should be more IRT and police (and maybe adding more IRT members will reduce the stress on those who are overworked now and make some of them less.... lawyer-ish for lack of a better term.) But everyone (even those who aren't aware of the window breaking incident) can probably agree there needs to be more IRT just to maintain all of those less capable of maintaining tact in a public setting.

#177 User is offline   Zilveari 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60162

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:25 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on 25 May 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

If you ever find the person persecute them to the fullest extent fully visable to everyone so they know what not to do.

Seppuku please. For the offender I mean. This is just plain ignorant. Why anyone would do something like that is beyond me. I've gotten piss-faced drunk plenty of times in my life, and never once have I maliciously destroyed property like that.
#nipponsei on Rizon! I am t3h nipponsei troll. FEAR MEH!\

The MAL page that I never use xD
2011 ACen Registration Staff
2013 ACen ConOps
2014 ACen ConOps and complete ribbon promiscuous woman

You know you're an otaku when you see a young boy and girl playing in a playground, and your first thought is: "CHILDHOOD FRIEND FLAG!"... ™

#178 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

This thread feels like it is dividing by zero.

#179 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

View PostPerfumer Ko, on 03 June 2011 - 12:10 AM, said:

I don't think anyone expects anyone to be responsible for preventing any sort of crimes or misbehavior. That's clearly IRT's job.

I agree that there should be more IRT and police (and maybe adding more IRT members will reduce the stress on those who are overworked now and make some of them less.... lawyer-ish for lack of a better term.) But everyone (even those who aren't aware of the window breaking incident) can probably agree there needs to be more IRT just to maintain all of those less capable of maintaining tact in a public setting.

Yet the problem is people are arguing that simply reporting bad behavior when you see it (being responsible for other con-goers) would help solve this problem. I think it would, but only to a small extent. We REALLY need more IRT and police to prevent this type of behavior before it happens. Do you think someone who does something VERY wrong, like the guy who threw the bottle, is actually gonna stay anywhere near the crime scene, so to speak? Probably not. He's gonna run. And then the odds of him being caught lower drastically. If he's smart, he'll even change his clothing, maybe throw on a hat, in case someone describes him to IRT. Maybe if there were IRT or police around the area, he wouldn't have thrown it in the first place.
Rawr. ♥

#180 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

View PostKrystal, on 02 June 2011 - 08:09 AM, said:

What if it's a respect thing? If IRT and staff aren't respectful of attendees, a complete lack of care could be someone's way of saying a big F U to Acen.

Not everyone goes to the forums or gripe session. It's petty, but I could see someone doing this. "so and so was a jerk. Let's make their job harder."

You do make a point. I've heard people complain about being "scolded" by IRT for acting "Funny" in their opinion, it wouldn't be suprising to see someone take the time and do this to piss off Acen and make a statement.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users