• This topic is locked

Why can't we have nice things?

#1 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Normally I'm not a gripey kind of girl, but I need you guys to check me on this. What's the deal with throwing things off the balconies? Why is it funny? How do I stop it?

Here's the deal. Someone on the "Fishbowl" side of the Hyatt threw a big glass vodka bottle off the balconies Saturday night. It hit the dome and broke out a small piece of glass. Know how much that costs, guys? It's five figures. So I'm sitting here looking at this wondering

a ) How much good stuff I could do with that money that would be awesome for attendees
b ) How I keep it from happening again
c ) Why can't we have nice things?

I recognize that it's a tiny minority of attendees who do this crap, and I'm not trying to come down on all of you. I'm also not trying to spoil your ability to have room parties - it's part of the con experience, but how do I keep this kind of damage from happening?
This is my signature. It is only one line.

#2 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

This is just something I am curious about. Is it possible to have everybody who is in a room from the hotel have something specific signed? I take it they kinda do with incidental damage on the room right, its hotels ask for credit cards.
Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org || Panel Programming FAQ

#3 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostZerox20, on 25 May 2011 - 05:57 PM, said:

This is just something I am curious about. Is it possible to have everybody who is in a room from the hotel have something specific signed? I take it they kinda do with incidental damage on the room right, its hotels ask for credit cards.

Sadly, only the person booking the room is responsible for damages. It does put that person sometimes in an awkward situation. :(

#4 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

I really wish I could help you here. I'm getting sick and tired of inconsiderate morons doing crap like this. It makes EVERYONE look bad and in the end affects the entire convention. When ACen has to pay for damages, that's less money for awesome things the next year. =(
My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#5 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

Was this on Thursday? I remember someone threw something onto the dome Thursday. I heard a big thud and everyone was looking up to see what happened and Riker was on it right away.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#6 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

If you ever find the person persecute them to the fullest extent fully visable to everyone so they know what not to do.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#7 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 25 May 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

If you ever find the person persecute them to the fullest extent fully visable to everyone so they know what not to do.

If I ever find the person, I'm adding it to their hotel bill. :) And if my boss will let me, putting their picture in the program guide so everyone can thank them.

#8 User is offline   bucktick 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59254

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hopefully someone saw/knows something about exactly who threw that and will come forward in PM. What a senseless and immature act. Didn't some urinals get ripped off the wall last year at Acen?
BuckTick ~Jennivieve: Gothic Lolita clothing and fine accessories~

#9 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

View Postbucktick, on 25 May 2011 - 06:20 PM, said:

Hopefully someone saw/knows something about exactly who threw that and will come forward in PM. What a senseless and immature act. Didn't some urinals get ripped off the wall last year at Acen?

A reward would help here. Someone may step forward then.

#10 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

*facepalm*

I hope you do get them and post them in the program book along with the guy who ripped out the urinals.

Quote for them "I AM ABOVE THE LAW!"
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#11 User is offline   Vinja Ryou 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 3078

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

View PostLina, on 25 May 2011 - 06:05 PM, said:

Was this on Thursday? I remember someone threw something onto the dome Thursday. I heard a big thud and everyone was looking up to see what happened and Riker was on it right away.

It was Saturday evening. I remember it 'cause my friends and I were playing Apples to Apples during some downtime and heard a crash outside. We had a balcony room on the fifth floor and went outside to see what had happened, but it was too dark, and I heard about the bottle throwing the next morning.

#12 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 32255

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

Discord, send me a message on pm or aim, I would like to discuss something with ya regarding why you may be having these problems
Need a room? We find rooms.
Throw in a request and we will scour the web

#13 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

View Postevaunit01berserk, on 25 May 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

Discord, send me a message on pm or aim, I would like to discuss something with ya regarding why you may be having these problems

Why don't you post here so everyone can be in the loop?
~~

#14 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 32255

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

View Postredx1, on 25 May 2011 - 07:06 PM, said:

Why don't you post here so everyone can be in the loop?

Because I wish to speak in private.
Need a room? We find rooms.
Throw in a request and we will scour the web

#15 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

If it's just about con behavior in general and not about who did it, I'm sure we all could handle it. Heck, if you know why people do what we do, we could probably brainstorm better ideas for next year as a group!
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#16 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 25 May 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

While I'm sure we would ALL like to persecute the person, we may just have to make due with prosecuting them. XD

Which is sad, because I haven't used my pitchfork for a long time.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#17 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

View PostKrystal, on 25 May 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

While I'm sure we would ALL like to persecute the person, we may just have to make due with prosecuting them. XD

Which is sad, because I haven't used my pitchfork for a long time.

lol, I did not catch my slip-up. Nice find cause now I get to laugh ^^

This post has been edited by Suigetsu: 25 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

#18 User is offline   gadgets 

• Has a Sweet Ride
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 19669

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

holy hell what idiots
absinthe feels like a trail of fire going down

1 bottle of everclear
1bottle of becardi 151
2 bottles of absinth

Moto-Cosplay

and on another news.....My Bike is Paid off WoooHooo

#19 User is offline   ldychaos 

• Registration
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 19374

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

This may not be feasible for next year, but it may need to be taken into consideration; raise the ticket prices by a little maybe 5 dollars or less; and use that additional money into a fund for repairs. Unfortunately the few ruin it for the many. At least if you have an Emergency Cash Fund for things that get ruined, it can be repaired from the fund. And maybe in the future if everyone is good and doesn't break things we can get a surprise!!!

This may also sound mean, but I vaguely remember it mentioned on the forums before. There were a lot of people posting about the lack of guests they wanted, maybe fliers and announcements could be posted to the effect of "This guest, (insert name) was willing to come, but we spent the money fixing this because someone decided to do (insert destructive behavior)". It may deter some from being destructive but not all of them. Unfortunately there are some that destroy because they have never faced the consequences or do not care about the consequences of their actions.
2009-10: Reg Staff
2011: Reg Supervisor/Reg ADH 2nd
2012: Reg ADH 2nd/Reg ADH

#20 User is offline   Yukinari 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 49684

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 25 May 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

Normally I'm not a gripey kind of girl, but I need you guys to check me on this. What's the deal with throwing things off the balconies? Why is it funny? How do I stop it?

Here's the deal. Someone on the "Fishbowl" side of the Hyatt threw a big glass vodka bottle off the balconies Saturday night. It hit the dome and broke out a small piece of glass. Know how much that costs, guys? It's five figures. So I'm sitting here looking at this wondering

a) How much good stuff I could do with that money that would be awesome for attendees
B) How I keep it from happening again
c) Why can't we have nice things?

I recognize that it's a tiny minority of attendees who do this crap, and I'm not trying to come down on all of you. I'm also not trying to spoil your ability to have room parties - it's part of the con experience, but how do I keep this kind of damage from happening?

allow me to add to this, there was also some someone in the soap bubble who decided that i would be a good idea to take one of 5 gallon water jugs still filled with tons of water and throw it in the middle of the floor. to this individual id like to simply ask, and nothing more, Why did you do that?? now we all need water, especially in the soap bubble, so why waste the one thing we need to keep us from falling out from dehydration??

on the plus side of this, being staff of a neighboring con, i am aware of how these damages can cause big issues so, i picked up the water jug before it spilled all 5 gallons and handed it to a guy trying to refill the water cooler.

This post has been edited by Yukinari: 25 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

Yukinari of the Youmacon Staff!

#21 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

Friday morning I was at the check in desk asking about my room when someone threw what sounded like coins off one of the balconies inside....almost hit a hotel employee.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#22 User is offline   Bella 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 25753

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

I was on that side of the hotel. Sat. morning, there was a pillow down there, vodka bottles, a pack of cigs, and a HEAD OF LETTUCE.

Like, what the hell? Lettuce? Apparently there were carrots in the stair well too.. -.-

And my friends told me some idiot JUMPED OFF the balcony and onto the dome..? wtf? :/

This post has been edited by Bella: 25 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

.. STUFF :D

#23 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

Lettuce? lol I guess just spitting over the rail ain't good enough for them anymore.

but seriously Why people why would you bust out a convex window of a stairwell what point does that prove. I am in favor of public display of humilliation during the masquarade like public harikari, or they get stuffed into a garbage can and each one of the people gets to take turns wacking them with a yaoi paddle, hardcore side. seriously when will people just stop and think, throwing coins or writting on the wall is one thing but doing structural damage is unlawful, dangerous, and a good way to make the hotel people mad enough to raise our rates for the weekend, and or tell us we are not welcome there.

what is with the people that do this stuff, what will it take banning alcohol from the convention?

I dont know what are you going to do search people as they come into the hotel?

signed Jeremy manga1

#24 User is offline   LADY SAKURA 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18295

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

its a darn shame IRT told us about some of that stuff going on while i was outside of my room people watching.. but really people act like they have never been out in a public setting before
The Forum Seductress ^_~To be a Tekosexual you must first become one with the tentacles

Facebook Me
Check Art My Dev art page
AIM ME: dsbabygyrl2021

#25 User is offline   Miyuka 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10248

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:54 AM

I was in the dome area when this happened on Sat. Holy hell did that loud THUD give me a heart attack. EVERYONE stopped what they were doing and looked up. Idiots. >_>

#26 User is offline   okaonos 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 25376

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

View Postldychaos, on 25 May 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

This may also sound mean, but I vaguely remember it mentioned on the forums before. There were a lot of people posting about the lack of guests they wanted, maybe fliers and announcements could be posted to the effect of "This guest, (insert name) was willing to come, but we spent the money fixing this because someone decided to do (insert destructive behavior)". It may deter some from being destructive but not all of them. Unfortunately there are some that destroy because they have never faced the consequences or do not care about the consequences of their actions.

Harsh as it may seem, I think it's a good idea. It also may help con-goers encourage their fellow con-goers to be more responsible.

It seems those public balconies have been consistently a problem. It's an area that's just asking to have people act stupid. Is there no way we can have them closed off? I know people use those areas for socializing and smoking, but if it helps prevent damage... might be worth it.
# of ACen's attended: 9
Hotel: Hyatt
Cosplay: Rukia (Bleach) - 100%

~Spam Squad~

#27 User is offline   Stormy-chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 51456

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

I wonder why the hotel doesnt put cameras in the trouble areas,,,, that way you can see and then find the person responsible and make them pay for the damage directly.

Of course maybe we need to have spies in these areas with cameras or video cameras so we can catch the idiots ourselves and turn them in to the police with the evidence. That would most certainly curtail some congoers if not all.

Also I was staying at the Embassy this year and noticed a broken banister one morning. Was that a drunken issue to from one of our con goers ?

#28 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

View Postevaunit01berserk, on 25 May 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

Because I wish to speak in private.

And every congoer/staff member has that right.

__EDIT__ added

Another thing, if you or any one of your friends spot something out of the ordinary happening, like destruction of property or someone acting dangerously like this, PLEASE CALL THE IRT HOTLINE. It was listed in the program this year. Put it into your cell's speed dial for the con. Not only is this for calling like a medical emergency but if you see stuff like this happening. Then we can get someone on it right away and resolve an issue before it gets out of hand.

On the safety side of things, stuff like this can get people hurt!!! Role reversal time: Now if you were the victim how would you feel if you had a bunch of glass fall on your or a penny dropped from a high point hit you? Guess who is going to the hospital and who pays the medical bill. Have some courtesy for fellow congoers.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#29 User is offline   Shark 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60028

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:05 AM

'Nother thing. What was up with the rumors about someone jumping off a balcony Saturday night?
ACEN 2011 - Had an awesome time :D

#30 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

View PostBella, on 25 May 2011 - 10:00 PM, said:

I was on that side of the hotel. Sat. morning, there was a pillow down there, vodka bottles, a pack of cigs, and a HEAD OF LETTUCE.

Like, what the hell? Lettuce? Apparently there were carrots in the stair well too.. -.-

And my friends told me some idiot JUMPED OFF the balcony and onto the dome..? wtf? :/

That sounds like it was an... interesting... party.

Seriously though. For those of you who like to bring alchol to the con, behavior like this gives the con reason to restrict drinking at Anime Central and turn this into a dry con. At some point somebody's going to do something so spectarically stupid, they're going to say "No more." I suspect that's probably why the con suite went the way of the Dodo - I'd poked my head in there towards the end of con once while they still had it and it was disgusting. The whole place was trashed - like sombody decided to have the world's biggest food fight and follow it up with a rave just to grind everything into the carpet.

To prevent future balcony incidents, perhaps the hotel can find a way to lock down the balconies to the outside during the con so that the occupents can't go out there anymore. I'm also in favor of restricting room parties to a single tower or set of floors judged to be best likely to take damage and least likely to cause problems to others.

For the con-goers - you guys are right in that this sort of behaivor ruins things for everybody. But making sure incidents get reported so that the idiots responsble can be dealt with directly instead of the convention having to be made responsible helps mitigate stupid behavior. If this person had been caught right after, they would be paying for the window, not Acen. Even if it was an accident, not reporting it to hotel staff and taking responsability was an ignorant thing to do. So if you see incidents of somebody preparing to cause damage to the hotel, staff or attendees, try to step in and warn them off. If you see somebody who is already in progress or just caused said damage, flag down any staff member right away and point them in the right direction so the con can deal with it quickly.

ldychaos is right. The money the convention now has to spend on replacing that window could have gone into any number of the departments. So question to both reinforce the idea and give staff ideas for what you'd like to see next year. Let's assume that the window was $10,000 - what would you have spent that on for next year?

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users