Anime Central Forums: Suggestions for ACen 2012 - Anime Central Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Suggestions for ACen 2012 Have a solution to a problem from ACen 2011?

#121 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

View PostOtakuChica, on 06 July 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

4. Bags. If females are on their monthly gift, they should be able to keep their bags. Periods can get ugly. Or if someone has medication or an inhaler they need they should keep their bag.

If someone has a special need like that, then they should see us. Upon verification, we can issue a pass that would allow the person to take their bags anywhere.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#122 User is offline   OtakuChica 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60765
  • Location:Hiding In your pantry. What? I get hungry watching you!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

View PostSmokey, on 06 July 2011 - 11:34 PM, said:

If someone has a special need like that, then they should see us. Upon verification, we can issue a pass that would allow the person to take their bags anywhere.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that. Maybe because I didn't read the hand guide. But I heard about a strict no-bag rule in certain areas. So it concerned me if I was on my period. But thanks for clearing that up right here! :)
ACen 2011 - Haruhi Suzumiya
ACen 2012 - Shippuden Sakura Haruno
ACen 2013 - Friday: fem!Jack Frost Saturday: Toon Link

#123 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

View PostOtakuChica, on 06 July 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

6. Anime viewing. Please show both sub and dubbed for each anime if possible! All the animes I wanted to view I was able to view were in dub, and I prefer subbed versions thank you very much. I think I'm not the only one who felt this way. One example is Naruto Shippuden. It was only shown in dubbed, but most people perfer subbed. I think it's with most animes too. I think this would satisfy more con-goers.

...Well, the problem is that if we do that, we can only show half as many titles. (Won't even get into the issue of the shows that there are no dubs of.) I'm very proud of showing a huge variety of titles, to hit a wide range of interests, and a policy that would have us only showing half the titles would really restrict what we can show any given year.

(It's also a sad truth that we will never satisfy everyone on showing any given title in sub or dub. We are the battleground for the sub/dub wars, and I'm not going to take sides.)
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#124 User is offline   benihime 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60790

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

i've been reading this and I just want to say the staff being stubborn about the bag check thing.

I got to a-kon which is either roughly the same size, bigger or perhaps a bit smaller (numbers never seem to come out) and they had bag checks at their video room. It was run by volunteers and they just gave us a generic ticket and I picked it back up. If a-kon can do it, I think you guys can too.

This post has been edited by benihime: 25 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

#125 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:19 AM

View Postbenihime, on 25 July 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

i've been reading this and I just want to say the staff being stubborn about the bag check thing.

I got to a-kon which is either roughly the same size, bigger or perhaps a bit smaller (numbers never seem to come out) and they had bag checks at their video room. It was run by volunteers and they just gave us a generic ticket and I picked it back up. If a-kon can do it, I think you guys can too.

I go to a-kon as well, being my home town con.

Though I do have to say I don't recall a bag check this year, or any year but I may just not have been paying attention with my 'cosplay group'.

Though, I must disagree that staff is simply being stubborn about the bag check thing - there's liability to start with, which the department/con may not wish to delve in to as it can get pretty complicated along with other things I imagine.

A-Kon, being a for-profit convention may have things more set up for such kind of liabilities. But, in the end this is all just mere speculation.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#126 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

View PostSmokey, on 06 July 2011 - 11:34 PM, said:

Yes, but would the special needs department actually count that? I've seen girls harassed before for "overblowing how much trouble their period is", "overdramatizing it", and even "trying to use it to gain special privilege". Not at ACen specifically or even an anime con, just in general. And I for one know that, if I went to the special needs department to ask for something like this and was given a hard time for it, I'd be extremely angry.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just wanting to be 100% sure that it's official policy that periods count as a valid reason to have permission to keep your bag with you.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#127 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

View PostOhki, on 30 July 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

Yes, but would the special needs department actually count that? I've seen girls harassed before for "overblowing how much trouble their period is", "overdramatizing it", and even "trying to use it to gain special privilege". Not at ACen specifically or even an anime con, just in general. And I for one know that, if I went to the special needs department to ask for something like this and was given a hard time for it, I'd be extremely angry.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just wanting to be 100% sure that it's official policy that periods count as a valid reason to have permission to keep your bag with you.

Like I said before, once we verify the need, we can work with you.

What would qualify, you ask? If you're carrying a huge backpack and your medical supplies consists of a small pill container that can just as easily fit in your pocket, that would be way into the "trying to use it to gain special privilege" end of the scale, and a pass will not be issued. If you brought Aunt Flow along and are not staying at a hotel, and therefore need to carry a bulky box of required feminine products, then you can bring that backpack with. We don't expect you to walk into that dance with a hand full of Kotex sticking out of your pocket, but we're not going to let you use it to carry in your entire days shopping either.

There can not be a definite black-or-white rule because every situation is different. We make accommodations based on need. I actually had a person demanding a pass for the bag of DVDs and props he'd bought, and the entirety of his med supplies consisted of one inhaler. And he was wearing cargo pants so lack of pocket space was not an excuse. That's trying to take unfair advantage, that is very not cool and that ends up ruining it for those who actually need this consideration.

So in short, yes. Periods count, but please, keep the bag down to a size you actually need. Ideally a fanny pack or purse.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#128 User is offline   Sen 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 8926

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

just a thought concerning mailed badges. to avoid lost badge issues could we maybe mail them out with tracking info through USPS and just raise the cost of shipping the badge. yes, I know that it will cost more but if the attendees are willing to pay for the convenience we can avoid the headache of people complaining that it is ACEN's fault for a lost mailed badge.
Chibi responds with Yummy Yummy Burger

#129 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

I double the bag check for the game room. Having a designated place with cubbies where someone can give out numbers instead of just piling bags outside the door. Because the pile is a sure way to get things stolen.

The set up could be like this. There could be a talbe inside the door with a gopher/staff member. Upon entering, you give them your bag. In exchange they give you a number. That bag then goes into a small cubbie hole, either a labled milk carton or those collaspable boxes (which could be stacked as many and as high as needed) with the same number. Thus your stuff is safe and out of the way. And when you are done in the room, you go back to the table, hand back the number and you get your stuff back.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#130 User is online   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

The bag check issue has been addressed:

View PostVoltaire30, on 03 June 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

I don't usually post in this part of the forums, but given the confusion I think I might be able to help.

Most proper bag checks and bag check rooms require a particular kind of insurance, and in certain places, permits and additional paperwork. Now I am not saying that other conventions that do bag checks aren't following the rules, but I am not saying they are. You would have to talk with them regarding their policies and legal compliance.
What I am saying is that it isn't just a logistical nightmare, but it also comes with certain other issues to consider.

For example, if an attendee leaves a bag with this "bag check room" and they come back and ask for it back. We give it back to them, but they claim their purse/wallet is missing (for this instance no purse/wallet was left in the bag). Even with signing certain types of paper and basically having our "behinds" covered legally, it doesn't stop said person from starting a lawsuit, screaming and making a scene, complaining on the forums, calling the cops, getting physically violet, etc.... Which I think we can all agree that wouldn't be a productive way to handle the issue (especially if there was no purse/wallet in the bag to begin with).

Now that instance may be a bit of an outlier, but given the damage that keeps happening to the hotel year after year, I honestly don't see it as an unrealistic possibility.
I am not saying that a bag check isn't something we consider every year, and something we have been reviewing constantly (most of us used to be attendees as well). We know the benefits it would provide for you (the attendee), and we have heard you loud and clear since the first time a bag check was suggested. It is just something thus far, that hasn't been a possibility.
I know people don't like hearing this particular answer to the question, but it is the best we can offer at this point. We've had some of our best minds on it though, so maybe next year, no one is making promises though.

It's not just a matter of putting up a table with a gofer or staff member. It's a matter of liability issues.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#131 User is offline   redneckotaku 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 25589

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 14 August 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

The bag check issue has been addressed:

It's not just a matter of putting up a table with a gofer or staff member. It's a matter of liability issues.

Why don't you simply have the convention center or hotel setup a bag check inside the convention center or venue you need it for? It would mitigate responsibility from the convention to the hotel or Convention Center. Then, have the venue charge a couple of dollars a bag for the service. Otakon does this for their dance inside one of the convention halls.

Also, from reading about the crowding issues. Are you all using the ballrooms inside the convention center? That can give you relief from some of the crowding. Use them as big rooms, as they may be intended or a mixture of small and big rooms. There you can concentrate everything except main events to the convention center.

#132 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

View Postredneckotaku, on 16 August 2011 - 06:05 AM, said:

Why don't you simply have the convention center or hotel setup a bag check inside the convention center or venue you need it for? It would mitigate responsibility from the convention to the hotel or Convention Center. Then, have the venue charge a couple of dollars a bag for the service. Otakon does this for their dance inside one of the convention halls.

Also, from reading about the crowding issues. Are you all using the ballrooms inside the convention center? That can give you relief from some of the crowding. Use them as big rooms, as they may be intended or a mixture of small and big rooms. There you can concentrate everything except main events to the convention center.

That is a very good suggestion for Anime Central 2012, both in your bag check idea and your ballroom idea. Please rest assured that we have looking into every solution that would be available to us, for the bag check, and every year we always have to say no due to very serious reasons. Now I am not sure if having the hotel do a bag check is a workable solution for the events, due to locations and space, but if it was a possibility I can guarantee that we truly considered it. Given that this is a new year, some things could have changed regarding the lack of bag checks, but it could also go the other way. Please believe me when I say we want bag checks as well, not only because we as staffers would like to enjoy the events to, but also because if it is something the fans want, we want to get it for you.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#133 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on 16 August 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

That is a very good suggestion for Anime Central 2012, both in your bag check idea and your ballroom idea. Please rest assured that we have looking into every solution that would be available to us, for the bag check, and every year we always have to say no due to very serious reasons. Now I am not sure if having the hotel do a bag check is a workable solution for the events, due to locations and space, but if it was a possibility I can guarantee that we truly considered it. Given that this is a new year, some things could have changed regarding the lack of bag checks, but it could also go the other way. Please believe me when I say we want bag checks as well, not only because we as staffers would like to enjoy the events to, but also because if it is something the fans want, we want to get it for you.

The problem with a hotel ran bag check is that hotel can charge anything it wants.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#134 User is offline   Princess_Rebellion83 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59214

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

Bag Check Suggestion:

Another user has metioned that after the bag do get check in, the staff gives out a see through bag or something for the con goer to put their important stuff in there. I think it's a good idea. If you're worried about finding X,XXX amount of bags for the con, we can find people to donate bags. That way, people keep their cash, medicine and other whatnots and people won't get the joy of stealing something valuable. What do you think? Please consider this.

Shuttle Bus:

Next year I do plan on getting a hotel room but I don't think it will be at a hotel that's close by. While I don't mind the walk, I do have people that's coming with me that are 'lazy.' A shuttle bus would be helpful. And maybe it could go to the local resturants for those of us who don't want to spend $10 on a hotdog or something.
Acen 2009, Acen 2010, Acen 2011 and now waiting to attend Acen 2012.

#135 User is offline   Kent 

• Berserker
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61118

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

I'm sure this was posted before, but I would love to see 2 Soap Bubbles on Saturday night as they are always so popular. Waiting in the line for the last 2 years for about 2 hours, would love to see it expanded because so many people go to it. I think its ACENs biggest thing that people look forward to besides the cosplay.
Cosplay 2014 is a improved Cactuar and something 8-bit Final Fantasy(not cactuar)!
Anime Conventions 2014 AMKE, ACen, Anime Midwest and some random ones

#136 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I would like to make a few suggestions regarding registration options.

1. Provide an option for pre registration for individual days. People are not happy about having to wait in line and having to miss half the day they want to attend. Some people cannot afford all three days, and only want to buy a pass for those days they really want to attend. Give them the option to have them mailed. Give people that option on Thursday evening. Or have the option of a separate line for day-of only at con reg.

2. Provide an option for "exhibit hall only" registration for a lower price. This would give the person access to the exhibit hall only, because sometimes that's all they are interested in. I know you all hate to be compared to other cons, but this seems to be something that has been very successful lately with other conventions. I suggest a $10 price tag for this. I personally would pay for it.

Thank you for your consideration.
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#137 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

View Postjenchan, on 04 January 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

1. Provide an option for pre registration for individual days. People are not happy about having to wait in line and having to miss half the day they want to attend. Some people cannot afford all three days, and only want to buy a pass for those days they really want to attend. Give them the option to have them mailed. Give people that option on Thursday evening. Or have the option of a separate line for day-of only at con reg.

2. Provide an option for "exhibit hall only" registration for a lower price. This would give the person access to the exhibit hall only, because sometimes that's all they are interested in. I know you all hate to be compared to other cons, but this seems to be something that has been very successful lately with other conventions. I suggest a $10 price tag for this. I personally would pay for it.

I like these ideas a lot! I have a few friends that can only make it one day and I know many of them were very upset with last year's long wait in line (he went on Friday.) I felt bad for him and his friend (who was at his first convention.) For those first-timers, it's a real shame for them to go to their first convention and have to spend a good chunk of their day in line. The key is to make the experience so fun you want to repeat it!
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#138 User is offline   vegidude13 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61504

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I really thought somebody should know that this hotel is offering great rates and a shuttle to the convention (which is only 6 miles away. Maybe this should be put up on the front page with the other hotels, they aren't booked at all.
It's about $49 a night, just say your with Anime Central. I really thought somebody should know. Also when I was talking they were very helpful answering all my questions, because I'm not from the area, they haven't criticized me or put me off in anyway and I haven't even booked yet. I will though very soon.

1900 North Mannheim Road
Melrose Park, IL 60160
(708) 681-3100

$49 a night, which is lower than their regular rates (I checked)

#139 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

View Postvegidude13, on 14 February 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

I really thought somebody should know that this hotel is offering great rates and a shuttle to the convention (which is only 6 miles away. Maybe this should be put up on the front page with the other hotels, they aren't booked at all.
It's about $49 a night, just say your with Anime Central. I really thought somebody should know. Also when I was talking they were very helpful answering all my questions, because I'm not from the area, they haven't criticized me or put me off in anyway and I haven't even booked yet. I will though very soon.

1900 North Mannheim Road
Melrose Park, IL 60160
(708) 681-3100

$49 a night, which is lower than their regular rates (I checked)

Only one post from you and it's very specific info for an unknown hotel? Sounds like someone is working there to me... ^_-

But back on topic my only problem I've ever had in the past is long wait times and general crowding/confusion surrounding the elevators. I know there isn't a lot that ACen can do they've tried a few things in the past but having a staffer or two to help organize and watch it might be helpful. I know other cons have had policies like you can't get on from the second floor, you can only get on from the first to avoid confusion and make it smoother. Not sure how viable it would be with a con this big but that's about the only problem I've had on a regular basis.

I also second the suggestion of a second Soap Bubble on Saturday. I know that would require a lot of man power and would be tough to do but the Soap Bubble is always packed with a huge wait so I think it would be worth it to try and pull it off.
All systems... GO!

#140 User is offline   vegidude13 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61504

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 14 February 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Only one post from you and it's very specific info for an unknown hotel? Sounds like someone is working there to me... ^_-

But back on topic my only problem I've ever had in the past is long wait times and general crowding/confusion surrounding the elevators. I know there isn't a lot that ACen can do they've tried a few things in the past but having a staffer or two to help organize and watch it might be helpful. I know other cons have had policies like you can't get on from the second floor, you can only get on from the first to avoid confusion and make it smoother. Not sure how viable it would be with a con this big but that's about the only problem I've had on a regular basis.

I also second the suggestion of a second Soap Bubble on Saturday. I know that would require a lot of man power and would be tough to do but the Soap Bubble is always packed with a huge wait so I think it would be worth it to try and pull it off.

I will be attending anime central, I don't really have anything to talk about because I don't have any experience at the convention, but the hotel prices are ridiculous. I'm sure somebody else is thinking the same thing. I almost didn't go because of the hotel cost. But then I found this one, so I thought it was a good suggestion. Regardless of my purpose a low cost is a low cost. Thanks though for going out of your way to consider that I have only made one post and total forget that I haven't been here very long.

#141 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60684

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on 24 May 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

As the Webmistress I wanted to address this comment. I do not often make it into the forums - and I assure you I don't update the site just when there are complaints here. I don't like not having content up in a timely fashion either - you shouldn't have to stalk the forums for that I agree.

That said - what DOES delay the information is that our website is considered the absolute official advertising space for our guests and as such their PR manager REQUIRES that we use their written content. (Rightly so, and an industry standard for all celebrities.) So while we can semi officially put on the forums that a guest is attending - we have to have specially approved text for the website itself when doing the full promo announcement. We are going to work harder next year to delicately request that information be finalized quicker but please understand there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that affect it. :)

Then what happened this year? The same thing with guests being announced late is happening again. We're almost 7 weeks away and we only have L.M.C announced. What went wrong?

#142 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

View Postdavebb, on 24 May 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

Kasumistry, not to put you down as that is a very logical comment, but MAPS who is the overseer of ACen is a non-profit, and all of the people within staff are volunteers. We are also not all just simple people, but many of us do have degrees and certifications in management and such. My certification/license is in medical and emergency management, which is why I decided to volunteer on the medical staff (EMRT). I also do IT for a living, but in the situation at hand, my skills of medical and management is much more enjoyable than the ones I do for a living which is IT. It is nice doing something else for a change, and I do get to interact with so many people. Though I'm not the financial officer so I can't quote how the money all goes, but the money that we take in goes towards the rental of the space, equipment, housing for like the guests and stuff. As I said don't quote me on where money call goes as that is the finance officer's job, but it's just a logical thought. I remember this discussion about bringing in professionals to be in IRT, but that would be a mess. Considering an off duty police officer if they are not volunteering will be getting paid time and a half.

As I said Kasumisty, it is a very valid argument, but a lot of the resources on planning does exist within our organization. Just a lot of SNAFUs come up out of no where and drag lots of planning/fixing into one area while another section starts having problems. Its a game of catch up on problems. But keep the ideas coming though. Thank you for your thoughts.

EDIT

When it comes to own badge printing, we do have anti-counterfeit measures in place. The registration was reworked back after "LineCon" which was 2008. After attending since 2005 through 2007 then joining staff in 2008 I've seen many improvements in registration since then. It still is slow, but from the influx of people that is to be expected.

I think it was ACEN 2009 where registration was a breeze. It was the best year for registration ever. I didn't have a badge at will call or anything, so this was the regular registration line. The lines were literally like 5-20 minutes long at the most. So imagine my disappointment in 2011 when the line for badge pick up and the line for registration was 4 hours long. Is there any way of bringing the system that was used in 2009 back? In 2010 the lines were slightly worse but they still weren't as bad as 2011. Also is there anything we as attendees can do to make the line go faster?

#143 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & ACen Secretary
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

There is actually, we post the information you have to fill out to get a badge online. If you have that with you and it makes us processing the info go faster. Right now that form is on the roadshow page, and we will keep it up and post it around more, as we get closer to con.
Convention Officer:Secretary 2009-2014
MAPS Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#144 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostPurplegodess, on 02 March 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

There is actually, we post the information you have to fill out to get a badge online. If you have that with you and it makes us processing the info go faster. Right now that form is on the roadshow page, and we will keep it up and post it around more, as we get closer to con.

Okay I'll let my friends know who plan on either buying at the con or have to stand in line due to discounts and etc.

#145 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

My only suggestion is to try and have all the video consoles for three days instead of two. It would also be nice, if there was room to stream/record match videos too.

Oh...i almost forgot. Build hype, if you have to make this something that everyone wants to go to.

This post has been edited by MasterHavik: 03 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#146 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

I also have another suggestion that I had brought up in another post. I'll copy it below:
"...there should be a back up in case something goes wrong with the computers again. Like maybe have a set of official stickers and stamps, or pre printing out badges. So that if the computers go down they can place the official stickers and or stamps on a hand written or pre printed out badge. I think pre printing out the badges though would save a lot of time..."

#147 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

^-- the reply to this? --v

View Postchainedbyroses, on 05 March 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

@ Registration comments: Sometimes the Ye Olde School paper-and-pen method with pre-printed paper forms can be a life saver. (PC fail? !! Take one down~, pass them around~, 99 reg forms are left on the wall desk.~~) Likewise, those sticky-printer ticker tape things work wonders for legible typed words made on the fly (ie, putting on badges bought at con), or for the low-tech equivalent, rubber librarian-style rotating-letters stamper and ink pad (oooooo). Hellk, even in a power failure, this/these tried-and-true-in-the-70s method(s) will be your very own Rick Astley (<- seriously read this hover text, reeeeead it loldon'tkillmeee).~~

Honestly though, the lines WILL go faster if we just had someone on staff/volunteer/IRT making sure the lines keep moving. Half the time it's not moving is because there's a 50-200 ft gap left from people either sleeping, not paying attention, or eyes having glazed over, or whatever, at multiple places in the overall lines; the expectation to endure "Line Con"/lines from hell hasn't helped any. Part of the reality of getting "Line Con" may indeed be expecting "Line Con" (if you're not expecting to move for over an hour & are focused on sleeping or gaming/reading/etc, are you really gonna notice the line creeping forward every few minutes, or are you more likely going to notice a "sudden" 100ft gap and go running forward/move when people start yelling at you?). The only line I can argue this wouldn't work for is Con:"Dance"/Attendees:"Rave", as that is pretty much gapless and formless until it hits the doors, and -maybe- the Masquerade lines, for the same reason though to a lesser extent.

About the video consoles idea, this year we split the console gaming and arcade up, so it's possible consoles may be able to run for at least a part of Sunday (since Arcade can now be disassembled separately, & consoles suck less to take apart 8D). Not on VG though, so I can't say for sure. Could copy-paste that into a VG thread to get a definitive answer though.~
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#148 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

View Postjenchan, on 04 January 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

Super agreed. I like your proposed system a lot. I had to buy a full badge this year because of the fact I wanted to avoid lines. I paid the roadshow price for a full, but still it would be nice to pre-order a one day badge, save the money and avoid the line. I don't want to wait in LineCon for hours and miss part of the only day I am going to ACEN. But never heard of the exhibit hall idea, but I like it! I feel that would be a huge hit with people.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#149 User is offline   Jessie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61501

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well, it's not really for the better of ACen...But how about a ramen eating contest!?!
Dreams Are Only Dreams Because You Refuse To Make Them A Reality.

#150 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

View PostJessie, on 07 March 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Well, it's not really for the better of ACen...But how about a ramen eating contest!?!

I think that Acen can't bring in outside food due to a contract or something.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users