• This topic is locked

Groped and Offended

#121 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

And hearing something so common is not so special now is it.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#122 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on 23 March 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

And hearing something so common is not so special now is it.

I have no idea what your point here is.
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#123 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 23 March 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

I have no idea what your point here is.

No point, just saying.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#124 User is offline   Shaherah 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61572

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

In my experience, most people are half naked after hours. I think this time should really be for the 18 and older crowd. I know my daughter will be in the room with her nanny after 9pm. Otaku are crazy and the perversion is highly strong after hours. Sadly, its almost to the point where I'm beginning to think children shouldn't be involved with ACen at all, and thats sad...so many pervs smh. But yea she'll be locked away with the nanny for sure after 9pm, and i hope everyone else's children are as well.
Ororo's Free Hugs 2012
*Embrace the Storm*

~*HeraLuv*~

2012 Cosplay: Ororo aka Storm from X-Men (90's version & X-Treme X-Men version);
also featuring fellow team captain Cyclops with Rogue, Jubilee, and Marvel's Black Panther. Come say Hi when you see us - Hera*

#125 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

UPDATE: Working on getting IRT Hotline info. It's not confirmed yet whether it's going to be changed or not. Will keep you guys posted on that~

View PostShaherah, on 24 March 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

In my experience, most people are half naked after hours. I think this time should really be for the 18 and older crowd. I know my daughter will be in the room with her nanny after 9pm. Otaku are crazy and the perversion is highly strong after hours. Sadly, its almost to the point where I'm beginning to think children shouldn't be involved with ACen at all, and thats sad...so many pervs smh. But yea she'll be locked away with the nanny for sure after 9pm, and i hope everyone else's children are as well.

While I agree with the costumes becoming more...well...exposing after hours, I think that's largely because of Rosemont's curfew laws (if it's a law outside the convention, it's a law within the convention). Kids will typically be out of sight by the time curfew comes around, which makes it the optimal time for more mature (but still acceptable) costumes to come out. I disagree that it's getting to the point where kids in general shouldn't attend, however. We try our very best to keep ACen a family-friendly convention, so that kids can come and see their favorite actors and see panels for their favorite shows. Unfortunately, we do have those occasional folk who aren't of like mind. But I wouldn't say they're so prevalent as to prevent kids from coming to con.

Then again, the choice to allow children to come rests squarely with their parents or guardians, not us. Our job is to make the convention safe for everyone to be able to attend. ^^

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 24 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#126 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

I see half-naked people throughout the day... :rolleyes:

#127 User is offline   Shaherah 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61572

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

yea me too Darkspawn butttttttttttt its worse during the night hours. and I was just saying anyway. No need to be rolling your little smiley eyes at me
Ororo's Free Hugs 2012
*Embrace the Storm*

~*HeraLuv*~

2012 Cosplay: Ororo aka Storm from X-Men (90's version & X-Treme X-Men version);
also featuring fellow team captain Cyclops with Rogue, Jubilee, and Marvel's Black Panther. Come say Hi when you see us - Hera*

#128 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostShaherah, on 24 March 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

yea me too Darkspawn butttttttttttt its worse during the night hours. and I was just saying anyway. No need to be rolling your little smiley eyes at me

I was rolling my eyes at the half-naked people, not you.

In any case, it's a smiley. Don't read too much into it.

#129 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 24 March 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

UPDATE: Working on getting IRT Hotline info. It's not confirmed yet whether it's going to be changed or not. Will keep you guys posted on that~

While I agree with the costumes becoming more...well...exposing after hours, I think that's largely because of Rosemont's curfew laws (if it's a law outside the convention, it's a law within the convention). Kids will typically be out of sight by the time curfew comes around, which makes it the optimal time for more mature (but still acceptable) costumes to come out. I disagree that it's getting to the point where kids in general shouldn't attend, however. We try our very best to keep ACen a family-friendly convention, so that kids can come and see their favorite actors and see panels for their favorite shows. Unfortunately, we do have those occasional folk who aren't of like mind. But I wouldn't say they're so prevalent as to prevent kids from coming to con.

Then again, the choice to allow children to come rests squarely with their parents or guardians, not us. Our job is to make the convention safe for everyone to be able to attend. ^^
I'm glad I made 18 after Acen last year. Anyone or you can tell me what to expect when it's curfew for the kids?
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#130 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Wouldn't you know it, there was a thread about that just recently! :D

http://www.acen.org/...299-curfew-law/

Of course, it also depends on when parents and guardians decide to call it a night for their charges - like in the case of Shaherah and her daughter. But to the most part, once curfew time approaches/arrives, you'll see a noticeable lack of kids out and about. It should also be noted that we work in close tandem with Rosemont Public Safety, who usually has a team or three walking around (particularly during the night hours) to make sure everything is going well.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#131 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Aren't a lot of the kids that come to Acen local as well, and the younger ones normally go home with parents around nine or ten at night. I rarely see anyone younger after nine pm wandering around.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#132 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Well, in truth, there's another reason for the population dip - after a certain point, the programming schedule becomes more geared toward the older crowd. Thus, most of the younger crowd will (if they're local) head home, or go to their rooms for some R&R.

#133 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61869

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

I imagine it would be difficult to do ID checks but I feel it may be necessary in certain situations. I am all for splitting up the dances by age just for the safety of the young girls (13-14-15) who attend them and are grindig againt 20-30 year old men- which I have witnessed. I dont even find the Soap Bubble as much fun as i used to. I havent attended Acen since 2010 but my husband and I spent 45 mins in line listening to some obnoxious kid scream "butt scratcher" for the full 45 mins. When we finally made it into the dance we walked out 5 mins later saying "... That was much more fun when I was 15..."

The safety of attendees should be a top priority and while inapropriate behavior can and will happen all weekend I think the dances are a perfect oportunity for creeps when its not regulated as it should be.
2012 C2E2/ACen/Wizard World Claire Redfield: RE Darkside Chronicles
2013 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lara Croft [Tomb Raider 2013]
2014 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lance Corporal Levi: Attack On Titan

#134 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

I have a feeling that the ball is going to be more fun for older crowd this year then the raves in some cases. I agree that there should be some way for young adults (boys and girls 13-16) from being uncomfortable in some situations. I know it sounds lame but maybe have Raves where it's 17 or 18 on up? Might cause less hassle.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#135 User is offline   Emre-chan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19809

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

This thread is a great read! As a small lady, I've found myself a pretty good target for unwanted groping and sexual advances at ACen. I suppose I'll put in my 2 cents. First of all, sexual harassment has no face. Both males AND females have the potential to harass. A lot of my friends have complained about being groped and offended, but they shrug it off and say "it's an otaku thing". This is normalizing sexual harassment. DON'T NORMALIZE SEXUAL HARASSMENT! No one should ever feel that being made upset and uncomfortable is a normal and expected thing! People should be able to walk into ACen feeling safe in their skin. If you are sexually harassed, speak up! Chances are these people don't realize how inappropriate and offensive their actions are, it's an ignorant mindset, but the only way to fight ignorance is with education! You don't have to sugar coat it, just tell them with honesty that what they're doing is upsetting you, and sometimes you even get an apology. IF their actions continue, don't be afraid to get con staff. I know it seems easier to let it go, but your comfort and body deserves respect. That, and the person that harasses you might harass more people who don't know how to defend/stand up for themselves.

This post has been edited by Emre-chan: 20 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Cosplay Page
"How's your progress??"
ACen 2014: Mari (Evangelion), fem!Rei (Free!), fem!Jean (Shingeki), PJ Sasha (Shingeki), Morgiana (Magi)

#136 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hey...Do I get in trouble if someone gropes me and I'm punching them in the jaw? Been dying to show my boxing lessons.

#137 User is offline   Emre-chan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19809

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostMasterHavik, on 20 April 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Hey...Do I get in trouble if someone gropes me and I'm punching them in the jaw? Been dying to show my boxing lessons.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I'd suggest just not doing anything that could get you arrested for assult. Try words and the IRT/police first, but if you're actually attacked or endangered, acting in self defense is perfectly okay.
Cosplay Page
"How's your progress??"
ACen 2014: Mari (Evangelion), fem!Rei (Free!), fem!Jean (Shingeki), PJ Sasha (Shingeki), Morgiana (Magi)

#138 User is offline   CurseOfTheLeek 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29781

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

It's always seemed to me that harassment is worse for people cosplaying characters who are known for fan service in whatever series they are from. I refuse to believe that hormones or excitement lead a person to sexually abuse somebody, as somebody very eloquently said in an earlier post. It's as though people forget that a cosplayer is a PERSON dressed as a FICTIONAL CHARACTER and simply fail to draw the line when it comes to respecting their human dignity. Ergo, people actually think what they're doing is socially acceptable since they're applying the social norms of a fictional media to real life.
That said, some useful advice is to always travel in a group, memorize a fake phone number, and add the IRT Hotline to your contacts on your phone (if you can't or don't know how to add them to speed dial, you can dial the number and then immediately hang up before the call goes through so all you have to do is push redial). Don't forget that nobody has the right to make you feel uncomfortable with sexual remarks or advances. My personal rule of thumb is to try and spot a person's badge name as soon as they begin speaking to me. If they're not wearing a badge, I try to spot the most noticeable or unique thing about their outfit. (Looking at badge names helps you remember and find nice people you enjoyed chatting with, as a bonus ^o^)

Edit: Er, I should say that I know hormones and excitement can influence somebody. But it shouldn't be given as an excuse. Everybody is capable of restraining themselves from violating a person.

This post has been edited by CurseOfTheLeek: 20 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

I will be was an absolutely enchanting totally ordinary Persona 4 protagonist gas station attendant.

#139 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostEmre-chan, on 20 April 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I'd suggest just not doing anything that could get you arrested for assult. Try words and the IRT/police first, but if you're actually attacked or endangered, acting in self defense is perfectly okay.
Somewhat joking, but thanks for the advice.

#140 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

@CurseOfTheLeek
IRT Hotline's dead this year unless they announce otherwise, so there is no IRT number to add to your phone. Advertising the old number will just get you a PM asking you to remove and not advertise the hotline number.

View PostEmre-chan, on 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

This thread is a great read! As a small lady, I've found myself a pretty good target for unwanted groping and sexual advances at ACen. I suppose I'll put in my 2 cents. First of all, sexual harassment has no face. Both males AND females have the potential to harass. A lot of my friends have complained about being groped and offended, but they shrug it off and say "it's an otaku thing". This is normalizing sexual harassment. DON'T NORMALIZE SEXUAL HARASSMENT! No one should ever feel that being made upset and uncomfortable is a normal and expected thing! People should be able to walk into ACen feeling safe in their skin. If you are sexually harassed, speak up! Chances are these people don't realize how inappropriate and offensive their actions are, it's an ignorant mindset, but the only way to fight ignorance is with education! You don't have to sugar coat it, just tell them with honesty that what they're doing is upsetting you, and sometimes you even get an apology. IF their actions continue, don't be afraid to get con staff. I know it seems easier to let it go, but your comfort and body deserves respect. That, and the person that harasses you might harass more people who don't know how to defend/stand up for themselves.

Not just that, sexual harassment and sexual assault are CRIMES. Do not shrug off criminal activity as "normal" or somehow someone "deserving" it.

If IRT winds up with a number again (currently no number/info), call them for non-critical/emergencies sitations, otherwise, call the police if you witness or experience this or ANYTHING of the like (imminent danger or fear of imminent danger are considered solid grounds for police contact (what more, being on site already for the con one would imagine that **should* mean a fast[er] response time)).

**disclaimer: I am not RPD and cannot say anything official about police stuff (kind of obvious, but still). Note this is just an educated guess based on Spock thought and without any insider knowledge of RPD or policy. Take it with a large grain of salt*
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users