Anime Central Forums: SOAPBUBBLE 2011 SUGGESTIONS AND DISSCUSION THREAD - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

SOAPBUBBLE 2011 SUGGESTIONS AND DISSCUSION THREAD POST ALL SUGGESTIONS AND GRIPES HERE

#31 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1441

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

View PostC2Queen, on 24 May 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

The soap bubble NEEDS DAFT PUNK. Who's with me? SERIOUSLY. IT DOES.

I dont think we can afford the booking fee
Allen Castillo

#32 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

I dont think we need any bigger lines for soapbubble ^_^
Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

#33 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Chief Of Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

View Poststringcheese, on 23 May 2011 - 04:04 AM, said:

2. The shutdown of the rave at 3am was not a decision that was made by Anime Central, but was made by the Hyatt Hotel. While I was pretty tired at 3am, I was willing to work a couple more hours to make sure that most of the people that were stuck in line outside got a chance to enjoy some music.

Need to comment on this, because I don't want to get into a position where we're blaming the hotel for our business decisions.

The Soap Bubble, as many of you can guess, is pretty hard on the hotel's main ballroom. This year, the hotel had another group coming in Sunday afternoon for a corporate event they had to set up for, and so we made the decision to cut the dance at 3 so that there would be time to get the carpet cleaned, the room re-set for our Sunday morning events, and everything ready for our load-out and the other event's load in. None of that was the Hyatt's fault, it was a business discussion between our team and their team to do what was best and most effective for everybody. We also moved a couple events out of the main ballroom Sunday to give us more time to get our gear packed down and pushed out.

I saw the line of folks that didn't get in, and I saw things get cut at 3, and realize we disappointed people. That's never our goal, and Artie..the new Chair.. is going to be talking about and looking at some options for how we can do better. We hear you guys--Soap Bubble is one of the events that people come to ACen to attend, and I'd like for everyone who wants to come to be able to do so--it's just always a juggling act of room set changes, stage changes, cleaning times and so forth. We put a lot of love and energy into the show, and so do you guys. Hopefully we keep doing that and it continues to get more amazing, year after year.
This is my signature. It is only one line.

#34 User is offline   EzERawk 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17490

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

View Poststringcheese, on 23 May 2011 - 04:04 AM, said:

3. Unfortunately as Anime Central grows every year in attendance, the line for Soap Bubble grows as well. I was told that unlike past years where the Masquerade was the premier event for Anime Central, Soap Bubble has now taken that honor. As I'm sure some of you are aware, we get people that pay for a day pass to the convention just for the soap bubble itself, nothing more. There was however discussion amongst us after the event was over this year, about what to do. Maybe expanding it into the Convention Center ballroom, which is much bigger than the Grand Ballroom in the Hyatt but also more expensive to rent out.

I've suggested this...for the past 3 or 4 years. It always gets shot down. I have also suggested a cover, like wastedutopia, and just tickets so people don't have to wait in line. I know about 3 or 4 years ago they did tickets for the Masq and concert, which went horribly because no one knew. The next year, the ticket system favored those who got tickets early as you got to line up earlier and such. That worked really well in my opinion. The last year tickets were a mess again and they've never done it since.

Saiyajinimport, I do remember you mentioning at the end of last year about hosting 2 dances in the same night. I'm sorry to see that didn't work out. Last year there was a 21 plus dj set at a bar at the aloft, which was quite a walk, and it was really small in the lobby and not much room to dance, but it was a good idea for something set up real quick.

Acen's growth has been explosive over the past 4 or 5 years. For many years, there was just 1,000 growth, which ended in 2008. After that there is 2,500 to 3,500 growth a year. The figures are on wikipedia, and while they do include staff, since Acen started coming to the Hyatt in 2002, there has been a growth of 20,000 people. Obviously the Hyatt can't hold most of the bigger events anymore. Max capacity for the main programming room is 5,300 for a reception, but they usually only run it at 3,000 due to the fire marshal calling the shots. I know about 2 or 3 years ago they were only allowed 1,500 for the dance.

Again, I'm playing the numbers game, as I have ever year before. The figures are there. I know there's a lot of talk of acoustics being a problem, but I think people would suffer that if they could have fun and dance instead of waiting in line for ever. As for cost, again, a cover of $5 to $10 (heck I'd even pay an extra $15 or so) would help defer the cost of keeping the convention center open later. If you've got 7,500 people attending at $10 a pop, that's $75,000. I have no idea if that's enough to cover the cost, but it's a big help if you ask me. Plus, you'd get more of the convention in the room anyway, so the figure could turn out higher.

Let me just say, the numbers last year were around 23,000. I haven't seen the figure this year, but let's assume it's close to 25,000 now (it will likely be close to 30,000 by next year, even discounting the drop in regular attendance due to holding it in April next year). This means that only 10% of your convention will be able to attend main programming, if the room is capped at 3,000. There's something wrong with only 10% of the people attending being able to go to the main events if you ask me. There has to be a solution. I've given many, and included combinations of them, but I'm sure they'll once again get shot down like all the years before.

Forgive me for being disillusioned, but I figure people will complain and come up with other suggestions for a few months, everyone will forget about it, then come next Acen it'll start all over again because no one will have done anything to fix it.
Acen 2011 = Hazama / 2010 = Black Reaper / 2009 = Ginko / 2008 = Commander Amarao / 2007 = Ramna Boytype
Xbox Tag = EzERawk / PSN = EzERawk / Wii Code = 8450-6258-6492-7122
Facebook / Twitter / Weekly Anime Review

#35 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

View PostDJ Jeffito, on 23 May 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

I'm the one who played Hello.

Thanks for giving me my second wind then. I was starting to feel the effects of the day, but when I heard that song, I felt the urge to dance come back.

I have to applaud you guys on how the fast the line moved when I was in it. I lined up maybe 9:40 or sometime around then and got in the dance no more than 30 minutes after. That's the fastest I have ever gotten in. I can't say anything about after that of course, but you guys were on it in the beginning.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#36 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49954

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

A suggestion for the massive amounts of people not getting into soapbubble.

Maybe have a second ballroom for overflow? I mean, you're recording video for the projectors, and sound is being piped to the speakers, why not feed that all into another ballroom? Because if you're near the back of the room, you can't see the DJ's spin anyways.

I mean, yeah there will be a very slight delay, and perhaps it may take some re-syncing of the audio/video, but its better than nothing. Perhaps the ballroom immediately adjacent?

This post has been edited by keiichi969: 25 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

#37 User is offline   SpicyNinjaCat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 10841

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

I don't want to be annoying about this and I just saw this thread but wondered if the cutoff will be 3am again next year?
I was in the parking lot from the false fire alarm in '12.
I overcame the ACen rapture in '11.
I survived the ACen fire in '10.
I dodged the H1N1 outbreak in '09.
I was denied ice cream at the ACen 10th Anniversary ice cream social in '07.

#38 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

View PostSpicyNinjaCat, on 25 May 2011 - 07:28 AM, said:

I don't want to be annoying about this and I just saw this thread but wondered if the cutoff will be 3am again next year?

I personally am gonna push for a later stop time. I want to see something closer to what we used to have like 4: 30am would be nice. not quite the sunrise stop time we had years ago but I think its possible.

I also wanna push for the 2room party as well I hope we and come to some kind of agreement on the subject well before next year.
Allen Castillo

#39 User is offline   Djehuty 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60285

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

I was not a fan of the 3am stop time. As for the line issue, I believe that moving it to a larger area (like the convention center ballroom) will help immensely. I also think that if the stop time was returned to 5am, there wouldn't be such a high concentration of people trying to get in within a shorter time span.

Also, was there a list of DJ start times for the Soap Bubble? If we know the times and possibly the style of music, that would help people know what time they should get there to hear their favorite music.

#40 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on 25 May 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

I personally am gonna push for a later stop time. I want to see something closer to what we used to have like 4: 30am would be nice. not quite the sunrise stop time we had years ago but I think its possible.

I also wanna push for the 2room party as well I hope we and come to some kind of agreement on the subject well before next year.

yeah the reason I could not go to Soap Bubble was because the line was so long, there was no chance of me even getting in, even at 2:00 am when I thought maybe I could get in there for like a half hour. I think if we had a later time more people could get in, get out and more people could dance. Then too we could have more DJs or have our home DJs perform for longer. :D

But how could you do a two room Soap Bubble? Is there an addition to the Grand Ballroom no one knows about, or do you mean having them in seperate hotels, or having the Soap Bubble in the Grand Ballroom and the place where Hardcore Synergy was? (I forgot the name of the room O_O).
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#41 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Hardcore Synergy was in the Rosemont Ballroom.

Last year it was chunked up into different rooms for panels.

#42 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

So...is soapbubble good for a first time...IDK what to call it...um rave®? I never been to a rave, or any thing besides rave room parties.

Also, is it strange going alone? because alot of people i know don't want to go to the soapbubble, but i want to go at least once.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#43 User is offline   Scottaconda 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6113

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

I was the first DJ up and I didn't have any Dubstep in my set. In comparison to the other genres played, Dubstep was actually not played all that much. My set was nothing but hard electro.

Edit- Sorry was in a rush to post while leaving from the computer I was using. To further on this, What are some music genres you would like to hear?

Also, the soapbubble ending at 3am was unfortunate, but from what I understand, several factors led to it's early shutdown. Regardless, we are going to try to present several options in order to alleviate and/or possibly solve several problems that have been recurring. We will also be looking into some options that will further enhance what has been going right.

I have to say that I am liking the feedback. It's very constructive so far, though I wish some of it was a little more specific or elaborated on. Regardless, what has been presented is a good stepping stone.

I will be trying to re-create my set from acen and make a recording for CD distribution, free of charge ^_^

Now to the selfish part... For anyone that caught my set, did you like it? Did you not?

This post has been edited by Scottaconda: 25 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

Swords don't need reloading - Max Brooks "Zombie Survival Guide"
ACEN IRT since 2005
http://www.myspace.com/DJScottaconda
Member of the SOS DOS"Only one way to find out!" and Founder of the ROS. Get Rowdy!
Ninja's > Pirates "Nin...*hand movments*.. tendo!"
Cosplay Projects - Devil Jin (100% displayed at acen 07), Yun SF3 (0%), Rikimaru Tenchu (100% Acen 06), Kurogane Tsubasa Chronicles (100% acen 08)

#44 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

i'm loving all these suggestions cuz thats exactly what we need a little bit of change.

so please keep them coming in and if you have friends that went with you to soapbubble and are not on the forums please tell them to join and post up on here.
Allen Castillo

#45 User is offline   Yuna7780 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 17030

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

I got into the Soap Bubble fairly quickly and the music was great! I left for about an hour and returned around midnight and the music wasn't as great. When I didn't see people jumping around on stage was when the music got bland.
EVELYN JAYDEN: NERD QUEEN

#46 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

View PostScottaconda, on 25 May 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

Now to the selfish part... For anyone that caught my set, did you like it? Did you not?

awesome :thumbup:
Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

#47 User is offline   flyingcabbit 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 9974

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

Host it in one of the convention center ballrooms.

Because quiet frankly, it's outgrown the ballroom in the Hyatt. And it deserves a space of it's own. And you can get the ballrooms on Saturday night, because a prom was going on in one of them.

Also, they are accessible by skybridge as well.
It's nice to see the art of elf-licking is making a comeback." - Fred Willard

#48 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

the only problem is there's no way to line up, you'd have to have the lines inside the skytrails. that would be a nightmare.

also are you referring to Hall G?

http://www.rosemont...._cc_flplans.pdf

There is no ballroom up there, its all smaller conference rooms, and one big hall.

The other ways up there are through the first floor conference center or hall F.

The other issues are with room type, big empty space, with concrete walls and floors would be an acoustical nightmare. Carpeting helps deaden the sound and prevent it from echoing beyond the room. the other halls are almost too big.

This post has been edited by keiichi969: 27 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

#49 User is offline   Gorilla Derby 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29214

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

Does DJ Maru have his set list from the Soap Bubble anywhere?

#50 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

not sure if Maru has posted his set list yet.
Allen Castillo

#51 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

Wondering about the ticket idea because I went to Acen before they had tickets and big lines. I usually went in about 1am or so, hopped in and hopped out. Now the lines are really crazy :wacko:

Only things I want are:

Better line management

The line was confusing on who was getting in and there were panels at the time of the Soap. Also some other gripes such as the road/streets being blocked off. But that was probably due to lack of organization this year compared to the previous years.

longer cut off time

Tickets

I think we should try this again and mention it MANY times about it and stress on it. There are people who don't go to the forums but still find information from networking or word of mouth. I think this year's soap had good tunes since I heard it many times I went back and forth, but didn't want to go into the line of doom.

Also is there any way to restrict the rave for the people who are so wasted that they can't stand up straight or hold their drink? I don't mind people drinking but if you look like you are going to fall over or throw something or start a fight or get sick on someone inside of the soap that is not cool man!
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#52 User is offline   djmaru 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4487

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on 28 May 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

not sure if Maru has posted his set list yet.

I'm working on re-creating my mix from the dance using software (my ability to record live mixes is non-existent at the moment).

I'll post the track-list tonight and the mix as soon as it's done, which should only be a day or two as long as nothing distracts mOH MY GOD THERE'S A PONY IN MY AV!
:w00t:
Do the Pony Pokey www.mlponies.com

#53 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

View PostYuna7780, on 25 May 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

I got into the Soap Bubble fairly quickly and the music was great! I left for about an hour and returned around midnight and the music wasn't as great. When I didn't see people jumping around on stage was when the music got bland.

I agree with ^^^That person^^^

My group only waited 30-40 minutes before we got in, the music was great to dance to when we needed a break and came back with another friend and we got in the same time as last year after 12am and we stayed about 2am. We left because of the music wasn't great to dance to, my friend said it lack motivation so there was no point in staying. I also didn't like the fact that the guy on stage was yelling at us about every 20 minutes if we are FUDGING READY!!! I don't need to hear that kind of language at a dance.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#54 User is offline   mordion 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18340

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

View PostDjehuty, on 25 May 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

Also, was there a list of DJ start times for the Soap Bubble? If we know the times and possibly the style of music, that would help people know what time they should get there to hear their favorite music.

I agree, I would like to see a DJ schedule in advance so I'd know what time I wanna be there.
Kichi Panel!

2012 cosplay: Tsumugi (Don't Say Lazy outfit)

#55 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

working on getting an exact schedule as to when the DJ's spin is nearly impossible considering we don't even know exactly when the soapbubble is gonna start. we can only give an approximate start time depending on when the masqurade ends and when we finish set up and sound check. i'd love to give you guys an exact time but honestly that time is gonna be + or - 15mins or 30mins.

also with having possible guest DJ's getting thrown into the mix last minute its very tough to get an exact line up and set times.
Allen Castillo

#56 User is offline   Gorilla Derby 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

An approximate ordering might be nice, though.

#57 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

A set list would be nice tho. By DJ and what they spun? This is obviously an "after the event" request. It would be nice to know what tracks the DJ's were playing.

#58 User is offline   DJ Jeffito 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 5555

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

Rather than tracks, how about genre?

EDIT: My bad I thought u meant traklist BEFORE the event. But yeah mine's on SoundCloud.

This post has been edited by DJ Jeffito: 31 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Facebook Page | SoundCloud | Anime Convention DJs Facebook Group | WeebCast

Dance Coordinator
: Anime Apocalypse 2013; Anime Crossroads 2015; Anime Milwaukee 2012, 2014, 2015; Anime World Chicago 2011, 2012; Anime World Indianapolis 2012; Kollision Con 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; Shuto Con 2014
Game Room Staff: Anime Central 2002, 2003; Anime Milwaukee 2013
Misc Staff: Anime Reactor 2003, 2006, 2007
Guest DJ: 30+ conventions, including Anime Central, Anime Expo, and Sakura-Con (Full list on my Facebook page)

#59 User is offline   Gorilla Derby 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

View Postkeiichi969, on 31 May 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

A set list would be nice tho. By DJ and what they spun? This is obviously an "after the event" request. It would be nice to know what tracks the DJ's were playing.

Some of the DJs already have their setlist posted from the SoapBubble. Jeffito's is on Soundcloud, and DJ Maru is working on his if he isn't being distracted by ponies.

#60 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Ok, so that's two down. I have DJ Amaya's from youtube as well.

But again, this info is scattered. I'm talking like a Soapbubble recap. Not every attendee is familiar with every DJ that was there, and offering this info could help expand the interest in these artists.

"Oh gee, I really liked the 4th song that DJ Amaya played, I wonder what its called."

or

"I really liked the DJ that was playing when I came in, but I don't know who it was, but they were right before DJ Maru."
(actually, this is covered in another thead, but its on page 4.)

Right now there's just not a central place for all of this info.

This post has been edited by keiichi969: 01 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users