Anime Central Forums: That's So Gay.. - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

That's So Gay.. Please read before being offended.

#1 User is offline   Taka-Breaka 

• Main Programming
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 19760

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

This has nothing to do with homosexuality.
I repeat

This is about those commercials on TV.
Where they discourage the word "gay" used in certain phrases.
For example, "That's so gay" when thinking negatively upon something.

Now, the TV may try to tell us that it's wrong to use "who someone is" as an insult or whatever.
But when I say "That's so gay", I don't think of gay people or homosexuals.
Instead, I think of it as saying something like "That's so stupid" or "That's retarded".

Now, how is it that you can use the word gay, without thinking about homosexuality, you may ask?

Simple.

Back in elementary school, the word "gay" referred to being happy.
Or at least it did in the dictionary back then.

So. Gay = Happy.

Now, I know, you're thinking, how is happy negative?

It's easy. Just keep following me.

Bliss is supreme happiness.
In other words, if you're super happy, then you're feeling bliss or blissful.

Now, this is where it gets negative and interesting.

"Ignorance is bliss".

That's a common quote, and even used in the book/movie, "Flowers for Algernon", making a biblical reference from Adam and Eve.

So, if you're still following me, then this is what we have so far.

Gay = Happy = Bliss = Ignorance

Gay = Ignorance

This is how the word "gay" can be used negatively, without referring to, or relating to, homosexuality.

Just some extra information for you all, to help expand your mind, no matter how trivial this all is.
But if someone tries to talk back, saying "You shouldn't say that. That's mean/offensive to gay people", now you know what to say.
"I'm not talking about gay people, or comparing "it" to gays. I'm talking about how stupid "it" is. Gay means happy. Happy means bliss. Ignorance is bliss. Ignorance is gay."

(P.S. Also, I think ignorance can be synonymous to being stupid, but not always. After all, an ignorant person, might be very dumb, and might be why he has not learned.)

This post has been edited by Taka-Breaka: 16 May 2011 - 01:46 AM

3DS Friend Code: 1504 - 5691 - 2411
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 5243 2028 5990
Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship 2011: 5071 4635 2311
Mario Kart 7's ACen Grand Prix: 37-2459-5783-1484

#2 User is offline   Phalio 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 26873

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:44 AM

You know, I really like those commercials. I don't know when exactly the term gay replaced lame or 'retarded' which is technically offensive as well. I used to use the word to describe lame things until I realized that it makes me sound like a d-bag. Now, I don't think I've used the word in quite sometime, and it will remain that way.

Most people don't think of a homosexual when they say something is gay. Saying something is gay means your saying something sucks, is lame and or crappy. And that's precisely why it's offensive, because it's connecting gay people to that meaning. It's like you're saying that being gay, is also lame/inferior/etc.

#3 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:52 AM

View PostTaka-Breaka, on 16 May 2011 - 01:45 AM, said:

Just some extra information for you all, to help expand your mind, no matter how trivial this all is.
But if someone tries to talk back, saying "You shouldn't say that. That's mean/offensive to gay people", now you know what to say.
"I'm not talking about gay people, or comparing "it" to gays. I'm talking about how stupid "it" is. Gay means happy. Happy means bliss. Ignorance is bliss. Ignorance is gay."

While I do get your drift, isn't having to explain the semantics behind (thereby extending) a three-word phrase kind of stretching and over-complicating it? It would be a great deal easier to use a different and less offensive word/phrase in the first place than to have to explain what is essentially your personal belief in justifying use of a word/phrase that offends people. I say "your personal belief" because when you break it down in reverse, it just does not work. Ignorance is not literally bliss. You cannot substitute the word "ignorant" for the word "happy" or "blissful" in common English language.

Examples:

"I'm so ignorant--today is Friday AND payday, so I can go out and buy that book I've been wanting all month." (happy)

"She looks so ignorant eating that chocolate cake--it makes me want some, too!" (blissful)

(See? Doesn't work the same, eh?)

That's because the phrase "ignorance is bliss" is a simplistic way of explaining the burden of knowledge upon the minds of people who know what it is like behind the scenes, i.e. a person is happier the less they know about the inner workings of certain things (like politics, running a business, stuff like that).

For example, a person who thinks that the stars above them are literally the spirits of their ancestors watching over the world would be considered ignorant about the fact that a star is essentially a burning ball of plasma in space. They are happy to look up at the sky every night, wouldn't feel stupid/embarrassed directing a conversation at oh, say... the North star (even in front of others), and may be less afraid to go out at night because they feel like they are not alone--that is their bliss. Meanwhile, an astronomer would probably look up and think, "Hm, Polaris is visible tonight," and would likely find more occasion to curse at his telescope for not focusing properly than to talk to the sky. Not much magic there (even though science is amazing in its own right)--his education on the nature of stars prevents him from sharing the other man's bliss.

So TL;DR, not only do I (respectfully) disagree with you, but I find your incorrect use of semantics to defend the use of an inherently offensive phrase shows you are quite "blissful" about some things as well (no offense ;) ).

I'll just leave this here...
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#4 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

Here is my problem with this. The people who get offended by someone saying something is gay are the same people that have no problem with port o johns, or using the name John for the man picking up a hooker. My name gets spit on everyday and no one cares, but say something is gay and Hell breaks loose. now that sir is gay. :thumbup:
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#5 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:02 AM

People get offended by anything. Just say what you want and keep your head up with confidence.
I have gay friends who say "That's so gay!". I don't see it as being a big deal. Same with retard, I'm not referring retard to a mentally handicapped person, I'm referring it to someone who doesn't have common sense or is making poor decisions.
Honestly most people who say retard or gay aren't saying it as the term you think it's being used as. It's new slang, and get used to it because it's not going away for a few years.

#6 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

Here's what I don't get: why not just find a new word to use in place of "gay" or "retarded" instead of trying to justify your use of demeaning slangs? Whatever happened to "that's uncool" or "that's bullshit" or "that's f-ing idiotic"?
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#7 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

View Postthis_chick25, on 16 May 2011 - 04:52 AM, said:

*snip*

10 internets for you my lady :)
Also may I suggest that this is deleted before someone who's not as lenient comes in, takes this in the wrong way, and accuse the Acen Staff of being homophoboes/bigots?

This post has been edited by Aonele: 16 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#8 User is offline   Exezer 

• Exhibit Space
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 53384

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

View PostAonele, on 16 May 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

Here's what I don't get: why not just find a new word to use in place of "gay" or "retarded" instead of trying to justify your use of demeaning slangs? Whatever happened to "that's uncool" or "that's bullshit" or "that's f-ing idiotic"?

I totally agree with that ....well that we need to bring those slangs back...that uncool and stuff back ....havent heard those in awhile.

This post has been edited by Exezer: 16 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

#9 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Shouldn't the term "that's retarded" be offensive too, or does that same theory apply? Personally if either were to be found offensive, I'd say using retarded would be more so, though I don't think either is being used in the sense that people make a point of.
Currently writing a book.

#10 User is offline   P-Bear 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59555

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

words evolve, their original definitions emerging from moribundity as something completely different. that's just the way it goes. it's been a long while since i've heard anyone complain about me calling something a "gyp," or arguing that somebody is "lame," or referring to someone as a "moron."

this seems to be one of those situations where exercising a minuscule amount of tact can solve everything. if you're speaking to the head of an LGBT group, don't say that the new legislation is totally gay. if you want to call your friend an indian-giver, don't do it while visiting the navajo.

am i gonna learn a lesson from those commercials, i.e. have an epiphany if someone says that "they totally left a pile of tom in the toilet?" no. that's retarded.
"Thursday Night Meet 'n Greet" OG (the insane one, not that pancake one)

#11 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

All words depending on what way you use them and what country can be offense to just about anyone.Calling someone a 'wanker' is offense in UK but if you said that in USA they would be scratching their heads. Or how the V symbol was taken out of a Sonic game because it seemed offense in USA.

The list goes on.

To me cursing words in general are as offense as 'gay' as well as the 'n word,' no matter who you are.

But people still use them disregard your feelings so just tune it out like a lot of things and move on. Or just don't act like them
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#12 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostAonele, on 16 May 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

They died, and now these words took over. Sorry. I'm telling you the hard truth, it doesn't matter if they're demeaning or not. They aren't going to go away for a while, like most slang in the past. Just cover your ears, it should be gone within 4-5 years I bet.

#13 User is offline   Steam_Loli216 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59481

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

I have gay friends that say "That's so gay!" just to be stupid/ironic.
I personally try not to say it. Same thing with retarded. I don't care what people think, I really don't, but I still see it as offensive. People try to bend the rules with their fancy explanations. BULL EFFING S***. Just TRY not to say it so much.
Most people aren't going to think along the same lines as Taka-Breaka, so there's no use trying to explain that whole chain of thought to them.
Plus this was a waste of time.
Also: I just use explicatives. It's easier.
User is stationed in Southern California

It's a girl! Skylar Marie, born February 8th, 2013 :) Proud mama and wife and sailor

~~Dream Cosplays: -- Fai D. Flourite (Tsubasa) -- Dr. Jezebel Disraeli (Godchild) -- Seth Nightroad and Lady Asran (Trinity Blood) -- Lettuce (Tokyo Mew Mew) -- Misha (Pita Ten) -- Starfire (Teen Titans)~~

#14 User is offline   SJAkarma22 

• Akwardly Insane
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59852

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

I like using words with there literal term and use swearing for emphasis except with the B-word because I like it so much. But I have gay friends who will use the word too and while gay is get-away-with-able it's still used in the wrong terms.

While I understand it's not going to change over night since there happens to be a whole world out there that will shout terms like this till there breathe runs out.... I still think "in context" should be used at all times as well as the situation you are in.

This post has been edited by SJAkarma22: 16 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

As long as there is Trust, there is Betrayal
I will lay at your feet while you rule the world

CONLIST:
ANIME CENTRAL April 27-29 2012-ANIME DETOUR June 30 -July 1 2012

#15 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostTaka-Breaka, on 16 May 2011 - 01:45 AM, said:

I repeat

This is about those commercials on TV.
Where they discourage the word "gay" used in certain phrases.
For example, "That's so gay" when thinking negatively upon something.

Now, the TV may try to tell us that it's wrong to use "who someone is" as an insult or whatever.
But when I say "That's so gay", I don't think of gay people or homosexuals.
Instead, I think of it as saying something like "That's so stupid" or "That's retarded".

Now, how is it that you can use the word gay, without thinking about homosexuality, you may ask?

Simple.

Back in elementary school, the word "gay" referred to being happy.
Or at least it did in the dictionary back then.

So. Gay = Happy.

Now, I know, you're thinking, how is happy negative?

It's easy. Just keep following me.

Bliss is supreme happiness.
In other words, if you're super happy, then you're feeling bliss or blissful.

Now, this is where it gets negative and interesting.

"Ignorance is bliss".

That's a common quote, and even used in the book/movie, "Flowers for Algernon", making a biblical reference from Adam and Eve.

So, if you're still following me, then this is what we have so far.

Gay = Happy = Bliss = Ignorance

Gay = Ignorance

This is how the word "gay" can be used negatively, without referring to, or relating to, homosexuality.

(P.S. Also, I think ignorance can be synonymous to being stupid, but not always. After all, an ignorant person, might be very dumb, and might be why he has not learned.)

Your logic is fundamentally flawed. Therefore, your argument is invalid.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#16 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

it doesnt matter if you arent trying to be offensive, this is america, everyone is always offended by something, thats why we're all so politically correct now. like how its not STD anymore because someone said i find it offensive to call us diseased, so now its STI, which doesnt sound any better, now their Infected.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#17 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Mystline I just have to add , that calling something Gay or saying thats Gay has been around since like 1997 if I remember correctly from highschool, and thats way before the psa i did not hear that phrase after highschool for like 5 years till someone said it at work and I thought it was juvenile when they did since its time to move on in the slang at that point five years later

and on the note of Political Correctness its a communist concept and communism has no place in the usa, its opposet what we stand for despite what certain politician or so might try to do to our contry, now instead of common sence telling us to use our mannors, like it would be in the past, you have the more liberal tended people telling us like little kids what we can and can not do as if we are stupid or something, they instead make us go all the way out of our way to not offend someone that it becomes a made up word, you make a mistake appologise and move on, dont play drama queen over it and make a mole hill out of an ant hill if they did not know. By drama queen I mean the person that acts like a little kid that screams like you try to kill them if you bump into them or starts crying when you touch them, and they overact the scene if you will.

Aside that I know lots of people and see that a little sence of humor like common sence will go along way and I know first hand both are in short suppy in the day and age of today.

While I have been called a bigot a few times due to being conservative in my views and unyielding in them, I next to never use the word, Gay or Nigg, and I try to never drop the F word or words that would make The Christian God a part of my curses or misdeeds that I do to others.

Also, even if I dont agree with someones lifestyle, I am commanded by my faith as christian to love them for who they are and to not love the action of their sin as it would be, such as doing things like womanizing and being a pervert giving in to every reproductive urge I get tword the ladies, or by willfully killing people just for no reason.

Now I think I got my five dollers worth

signed,
Jeremy manga1 So please do not hate me because I stand up and state what I hold true, I am trying to share so as to teach.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users