Anime Central Forums: Whose Line is it Anime? Version 2.0.11 - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Whose Line is it Anime? Version 2.0.11 Anime Improv without all the lame

#1 User is offline   Jnkolm 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 6308

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hello everyone, it's been a couple years since I've posted on the forums but apparently I still have an account so I thought I would go ahead and throw out an advertisement for our show.

Welcome to the Whose Line is it Anime thread! The thread where everything's made up and the posts don't matter. This will be at least our 6th time performing for Anime Central. I often look forward to Acen just because attendance numbers are always so much higher than anywhere else we go (Except possibly Otakon we're there this year)

Moving on to the subject/advertisement at hand: Word from on high claims that we will be performing on Friday, in Main Programming from 8 p.m. until 10 p.m.
Here is event description- I don't know what was submitted for the program book but this one is also wonderful- you are free to skip:
--------------------------
Based on the original ABC hit show, but with an anime twist! Show regulars Ben Murphy, Joseph Murphy, and Jessica Williams are joined by newcomer Aaron Wright to bring you improvised games like New Choice, Film Styles, Living Scenery, and the crowd favorite, Whose Line. Volunteers are a big part of the show, so if you show some fun personality you might just end up on stage with the rest of the crew.

Now- Here's all you guys have to do: Attend.

That's a lie. What I would like is for anyone and everyone who sees this to post their thoughts/suggestions on any games or maybe scenes that you have. What I really need some assistance with is Party Quirks. It's quite a hassle to find NEW good quirks even though we have long since stopped doing two games of Party Quirks in the same show (if anyone remembers) so those would be especially helpful. Anything else is handy too, random scenes, other game ideas, etc. either post right on here or PM me or find some other medium, such as in-person!

Even if you have no contribution, feel free to post your thoughts here on the show, past shows, other similar shows, the real show we're ripping off, how handsome (and married) my brother is, how much you want to get on stage (we do play favorites at times), or whatever comes to mind.

That's it everyone. I look forward to another year of insanity and improvity for the betterment of the galaxy. See ya soon
Whose Line is it Anime? America's favorite tradition since we started saying it is.
Insert Witty Title Here is where we are. I dare you to find us

Whose Line is it Anime? We do the things you like. All of them.

Insert Witty Title Here! Our parents say we're awesome! In private.

#2 User is offline   Rakuen 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 16286

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

What I really need some assistance with is Party Quirks.

I would like to second this call because I am tired of trying to come up with new ways to torture my fellow performers. You people come up with them instead. Come on now. I have faith in you. That means a lot, right?
Facebook - If you want to add me, say you're from Acen!
Whose Line is it Anime? - Proud contributor since 2008!
Borderline Hikikomori - Anime blog covering whatever my team and I happen to come up with.

#3 User is offline   Lothlin 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10159

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

Thirding party quirks.

We'll be outside main well before our show starts if you want to catch us before it starts.

#4 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59762

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:02 AM

I always play games like Party Quirks with characters and not actually quirks. Judging by the fact that a lot of us(XD) are familiar with anime, you could always give them anime characters.
ACen 2011: Norway[Hetalia], casual!Prussia[Hetalia], child!Third Doctor[Doctor Who]

vFuture ideas
gijinka!K-9[Doctor Who]60%, gijinka!Intelligence Core[Portal]40%, normal!Jade[Homestuck]50%, Duelist Kingdom!Bakura[YuGiOh]5%, student!Evangeline[Negima!?]50%, Lieutenant!Aizen[Bleach]30%

I'm open for costume-designing commissions!

#5 User is offline   Lothlin 

• Pip

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

The problem with doing party quirks with characters, in the last couple years, is that the anime community in general has gotten a lot less homogeneous. So, where a couple years ago there were some very well-known series that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE had seen, recently it's gotten a little harder to pick out what's actually going to be enjoyed by the audience. I was quite surprised at our show last year at acen when one game went badly (not party quirks,) simply because most of the audience hadn't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, of all things. So doing specific characters can, unfortunately, fall really flat.

Not that we're not up to the challenge, or that I personally think characters are bad for the game. I just want the audience to enjoy the show as much as possible!

#6 User is offline   Rakuen 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Using an archetype allows you to focus on one trope and utilize it to the fullest. Using a character allows you to play with a combination of tropes. Both have their uses, but from the perspective of the party host it's easier to guess at an archetype. Since our host is a volunteer, we want whoever is picked to have a decent chance at guessing everyone. Not being able to figure out the quirk because you have no idea who Vash the Stampede is (trust me, a lot of people don't) would be quite frustrating, no? That also doesn't account for those in the audience who might not know the character. It's not as enjoyable for them, especially since character quirks usually rely on prior knowledge of how he or she would act.

This post has been edited by Rakuen: 15 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

Borderline Hikikomori - Anime blog covering whatever my team and I happen to come up with.

#7 User is offline   Jnkolm 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

The quirks are already supposed to be based off of anime or the con world in general, though sometimes it might be a bit stretched. If we could just do quirks of anything our job would be much easier. Unless you can find an exceptionally unique character that has his own personality (Gendo Ikari, Shikamaru, Edward Alphonse) and that wouldn't make it obvious (none of those) because the gimmick is that the host doesn't know who we are, and that hasn't been done to death (definitely none of those) AND that we haven't done recently or aren't going to do in one of our other games (none of those and then some). I also just think doing anime characters can be boring and not as grand if you can't do their voice. What we have done in the past is have someone re-enact an entire series as a quirk or make one person be multiple characters. And hey, we can tack on a character on any other game but in party quirks we can be someTHING instead of someone, so I'd like to exercise that ability. We do stay on the lookout for characters or anything else that fit the requirements though. So yea, failing that we find a perfect character to do, I myself would say that it's bad to do one by itself for this game- but not always.
Whose Line is it Anime? America's favorite tradition since we started saying it is.

#8 User is offline   Rakuen 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

This has been Party Quirks 101, we thank you for attending and hope you'll buy the lovely DVD, which includes several hilarious outtakes! ^_^

#9 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59762

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Okay, I see how that was a bad idea; I apologise. I'm sorry, I'm new and not very familiar with how really anything in particular works. :/
ACen 2011: Norway[Hetalia], casual!Prussia[Hetalia], child!Third Doctor[Doctor Who]

vFuture ideas
gijinka!K-9[Doctor Who]60%, gijinka!Intelligence Core[Portal]40%, normal!Jade[Homestuck]50%, Duelist Kingdom!Bakura[YuGiOh]5%, student!Evangeline[Negima!?]50%, Lieutenant!Aizen[Bleach]30%

I'm open for costume-designing commissions!

#10 User is offline   Rakuen 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:52 PM

View PostSkogkatt, on 15 May 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

Okay, I see how that was a bad idea; I apologise. I'm sorry, I'm new and not very familiar with how really anything in particular works. :/

Eh? Nothing to be sorry about. I certainly don't know everything there is about improv, far from it. Shoot, if I don't learn something new from each show, then I feel like I've failed in a way. There's always room for growth, and everyone's got to learn somehow. :)

#11 User is offline   Lothlin 

• Pip

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Yup, no need to apologize! We apparently all just decided to jump in and explain the same opinion XD. Go ahead and suggest characters if you want, who knows, it could be great, its happened in the past. And hey, sometimes it can be hilarious when the party host guesses wrong; At Otakon a few years ago, I got to play Kyon, from Haruhi Suzumiya - basically narrating everything I did. The host guessed Rorschach (from Watchman;) queue everyone who was in on the joke cracking up.

/rambling

All that said, we're super exited for the show this year and SUPER excited for the timeslot; hopefully it will be our best show yet!

#12 User is offline   Jnkolm 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

Yea it's all gravy, and I actually did come up with a couple things based on that, unfortunately they might not get implemented until Colossalcon.

And I've noticed that about 98% of our fans don't seem to come to forums of any con. How we can manage to get 15-20% of a con's attendance to come to our show (often much higher at smaller cons) but still only get like 5 responses on a forum always interests me.
I mostly made this so people would be all "HEY I KNOW YOUR SHOW YOU GUYS ARE TOTALLY AWESOME AND RAKUEN IS SO HOT I'LL BE THERE FER SURE"

Also I like how Lothlin joined the forum back in 2007 and her only 3 posts are all RIGHT HERE.

This post has been edited by Jnkolm: 17 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

#13 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Let's Make A Date, Scenes From A Hat, Props, Film Dub, Dating Service Video, News Flash, there was a game where each person is limited in saying a certain amount of words 1st person has 3,the 2nd has 4,the 3rd has 5, and the 4th person has 6 words while trying to act out a scene, and another is 3 props, each one is a different character, and the one who holds the item acts like the character while acting out a scene. Oh and then there is one game where 2 of the 3 players are limited to 2 lines while they all act out a scene.

These are the one's I can think of that you guys can do to substitute real life with anime. Plus I don't think Ho downs will work or even Song Styles Unless you guys are dressed for the part and sing like Wayne Brady.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#14 User is offline   Rakuen 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

We don't do singing games. It's better for everyone involved. And I think even Wayne Brady hated Hoe Down. XD

there was a game where each person is limited in saying a certain amount of words

Funnily enough, it's called Number of Words, and I believe it's on our short list for Acen.

3 props, each one is a different character, and the one who holds the item acts like the character while acting out a scene

I have no idea what this game is called, so there's one hurdle to overcome. I've talked about playing this game before with the cast, but we never quite got anywhere with it. It's a game you've really got to be able to commit to to make it work. I think we're planning to play some new games at a few upcoming cons, so there's a small possibility of it happening next Acen, if we're invited back again. :]

Oh and then there is one game where 2 of the 3 players are limited to 2 lines while they all act out a scene.

Also called Two Line Vocabulary, we usually try to play it with 4 players though. Honestly, if there are any ideas for this, it'd be great, because it's even harder than Party Quirks for our writers to come up with anything. Shoot, just throw out a one-liner without a character attached, that'd be awesome.

And I've noticed that about 98% of our fans don't seem to come to forums of any con.

Hey now, the Matsuricon 2009 forums were gold. Those were good times...

This post has been edited by Rakuen: 17 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

#15 User is offline   Jnkolm 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

Those WERE good times. Actually as far as forums go everything pre-2008 could often be decent. Kids nowadays are all too busy playing with their Xcases and their PS4 and Nintendos, listening to the MTV so they can hear Britney Speary and that hippidy-hop that they can't come give out good honest suggestions! Back in my day when an adult asked you for an idea for his improvisation show you either gave him an idea or you went outside and made a switch out of wood so they could strike you with it.

But yeap, even with Wayne Brady the song games were not very entertaining, even less so at all the anime improv shows I've been in/at XD. I will say that in Drew Carey's current show (Improv-A-Ganza on the Game Show Network) they actually do them pretty well even though they normally don't have Wayne on. I would love to play Props, and about two years ago I actually designed some props- but it turns out that the only real way to play that game is by getting some nonsense/random props that aren't really anything and that would cost us a pretty penny just to make our own (my ideas were pretty awesome though). My current idea is to find an old drama club/school/drama class and see if they'd be kind enough to let us borrow something (both for that game and for the game Hats) but it keeps slipping my mind. The 3 props one sorta runs into the same problem as party quirks (typically it's on my mind but awaiting the perfect moment) , while Lets Make a Date pretty much IS party quirks but less enjoyable and less active. Our friend Kyo plays that for Uncensored Whose Line and this is typically the case. I think I'll note a reminder to myself about Props though.

I agree about Two Line Vocab. Sometimes we think we've gotten the perfect ideas only to find out they actually ARE perfect, which kinda messes things up. Even if that happens, it can be pretty awesome though, and I'm always trying to get that game going.

I was going to put up a list of games we've played in the past, but I can't find one to copy and paste and I'm really not unlazy enough to remember them all now XD

#16 User is offline   Jnkolm 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

I double post for the betterment of my people.

I just realised the "Dating service video" you were referring to is actually called Hats, which is entirely different then Lets Make a Date. My valid points are still valid about it though.

Hats is an awesome game and I would love to do it much like Props. But we don't have 50 wildly different hats to use (we might have like a dozen, so we're totally getting there), and I already said what my current idea is. T'is great stuff though.

#17 User is offline   Lothlin 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

I wish we could do hats, but it's probably never going to happen (wigs and fedoras really don't make for a diverse hatbox.)

Off the top of my head, what we've played in the past... The names of which may or may not line up with the broadcast shows
Party Quirks
Whose Line
Questions Only
If You Know What I Mean (pretty much restricted to uncensored panels)
Mousetraps
Two-Line Vocabulary
Number of Words
Animaniquins (Which I can never, ever spell)
Living Scenery
Interrogation
Press Conference
World's Worst
Scenes from a Hat
Sound Effects
Emo Party
Twisted Tale
New Choice
Foreign Film Dub
Film Director
Film and Anime Styles
Dubbing
Sportscasters

And I'm DEFINATELY Missing a few. Obviously, we can't do all of these in one show XD

#18 User is offline   Lothlin 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

I want to thank everyone who came to Whose Line; for the time it lasted, it was a great show! I hope everyone comes back next year, I'm hoping that next year staff will continue to be awesome and get all the scheduling jam ups handled so we can entertain you all for a full two hours!

If anyone is going to Colossalcon (and if you're not, well, you better change your mind because it rocks,) we'll be doing Whose Line and another comedy show called the Anime Improv Experiment, we'll be looking forward to seeing everyone there!

#19 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

View PostLothlin, on 22 May 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

I want to thank everyone who came to Whose Line; for the time it lasted, it was a great show! I hope everyone comes back next year, I'm hoping that next year staff will continue to be awesome and get all the scheduling jam ups handled so we can entertain you all for a full two hours!

If anyone is going to Colossalcon (and if you're not, well, you better change your mind because it rocks,) we'll be doing Whose Line and another comedy show called the Anime Improv Experiment, we'll be looking forward to seeing everyone there!

It was a great show, and I had a great time performing with you guys (I was the one who was "Berserk" in the Party game XD) and I enjoyed all the other games, very very funny. Are there any videos of the program? I'd like to show some of my friends so I can get them to go to the program for next year. ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#20 User is offline   Rakuen 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Awesome, glad you enjoyed yourself. You're probably the best volunteer we've gotten for Emo Party. Anyway, we're all meeting up in Indy over the weekend, so I imagine we'll go over the show and any footage we got then. I'll try to remember to let you know if anything is uploaded.

Also, is your mouth alright? XD;

#21 User is offline   Lothlin 

• Pip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

We have footage of everything but Emo Party from that show, I believe; Don't quote me on that though, I haven't downloaded the footage off the camera yet.

But we do have a lot of our past videos up on youtube! Here!

Also yeah, are you okay? Major props to you for keeping on despite your mouth!

This post has been edited by Lothlin: 25 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

#22 User is offline   Jnkolm 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

I don't think Anime Central has ever had a better 40 minutes of programming. Special thanks to FLOW for finding the hole in Anime Central's new line policy and for rendering the entirety of Friday's schedule invalid.
I admit that I'm only here to copy and paste my post for Colossal's forum. Everyone should check us out there. But if you can't, hopefully Acen is a bit smoother next year. Except on our end, because we were already pretty buttery.

This post has been edited by Jnkolm: 26 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

#23 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

View PostRakuen, on 25 May 2011 - 05:27 PM, said:

Awesome, glad you enjoyed yourself. You're probably the best volunteer we've gotten for Emo Party. Anyway, we're all meeting up in Indy over the weekend, so I imagine we'll go over the show and any footage we got then. I'll try to remember to let you know if anything is uploaded.

Also, is your mouth alright? XD;

Aww thanks!! ^___^ My friends have also given me the nickname "Berserk." XD!

Okay cool, I'll be sure to look out for any footage then! thanks! ^_^ Haha yeah my mouth is alright now, actually on Saturday it was pretty sore, but I couldn't stop laughing about it. And I'm like "well, that was so, so worth it. XD" Thanks for the concern, hehe. I can't wait to see it next year! :D

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 27 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#24 User is offline   Rakuen 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Finally got it ripped, converted, and uploaded. Unfortunately, I am missing our first game, Emo Party, so if anyone has it, PLEASE let me know. Without further ado, Acen 2011's Whose Line is it Anime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDY9-xvZwuM

This post has been edited by Rakuen: 13 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

#25 User is offline   Babyloser 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59040

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

On the panel list, this panel is actually listed for 6-8p.m. on Fri. instead of 8-10p.m.

#26 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17891

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

That would be because this thread is from may 2011, last year's con. So I am going to archive this.
ACen 14 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager
ACen 12 - 14 - ACen & Anime Central Facebook Group(s) Administrator
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users