Am I the only one? I am disappoint

#61 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

View Postvortia, on 28 May 2011 - 01:52 AM, said:

The guests this year were certainly lackluster from a pure anime perspective. In the past, I've always enjoyed getting to meet mangaka, directors, and other individuals who are actually involved in the creation of this art-form we all love. I have to say I'm rather disappointed in the way Acen seems to be struggling to get guests of this caliber after years of bringing in some of the heavy-hitters in anime.

On a similar note, I felt like perhaps not enough was done to promote Director Bob Shirohata's attendance. His profile was buried in the program behind just about every other guest and consisted of only a handful of sentences, despite having more to do with anime creation than anyone else within 100 miles. When his attendence was announced on this page and in my email, it was buried invisibly below the announcement for some American VA guest I'd never heard of. Personally, I found this lack of respect a little embarassing.

I briefly attended his panel on anime creation, and it seemed a lot of the younger attendees weren't even aware what his role was in anime creation. I can't blame them, they were mostly all younger fans, but the Con could certainly add a couple of sentences to the program to let people understand the man's stature and position. I'm only vaguely familiar with the man's work, but I feel like we all did him a disservice with his treatment here.

Most Americans don't know how anime is created which is one of the reasons we ran the panel the way we did. The number of people that raised their hands when I asked if they knew how anime was created is what I expected. Now as a convention we can and need to do more to try and build awareness of the workings of the industry both domestic and interntional. Bringing guests like Bob Shirohata, Mika Nomura and Saki who can and are willing to communicate how things work is the first step in building that awareness.

To your second point about guests not being properly promoted, we know and my department will work on it for next year.

@Menchi did you get a chance to check out the Time of Eve Blu-Ray edition that we premiered?

This post has been edited by jsieczkar: 28 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#62 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

View PostRoark, on 25 May 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

I understand where people are coming from on guests and appearance frequency. However, availability is highly dependent on the guest.

Generally, we try and schedule 5 hours of appearances for any given guest, between panels and autograph sessions. Some guests (like those with booths) have less time on the schedule, since they're available in the exhibit hall. Some are rather specialized, like musicians (concert + 1-2 panels + autograph signings).

We also try to spread these appearances out each day, with a small bias towards Saturday when we have the highest traffic.

Now, some guests are only available certain days or during certain times. Yoshiki, for example, had most of his availability Saturday, so that's when his events were. That said, he crammed in a radio show, a two-hour panel, and a long autograph signing into that time.

Is the scheduling absolutely perfect and optimized? Of course not. It's always a best effort affair. That said, I think having too much stuff that you want to do all weekend is a much better problem than scrambling to find entertainment.

Conversely, I traveled from Kansas to IL for this show (while I was also in IL to see friends, we planned the visit around ACen), and didn't see the ONE guest that I wanted to! I in fact didn't get to any panels but my own due to scheduling being that much of a ... let's say it was a disaster, from my standpoint. It was definitely a disappointment on this end and will weigh heavily on me coming to ACen next year as a result. It's something that I just wanted to say and make sure you guys hear. It's a bit different if you're from around Chicago, then if you're flying/driving hours in. I could pick any con to go to (SDCC, Otakon come to mind) and spend money, but most of the time I go to a con it's because of guests and friends. And I could see my friends anytime.

Not to tear it all down, but if you guys would like suggestions or have a place I could write them out more coherently and flesh them out - suggestions, not orders, not slams - I would be happy to. :)

This post has been edited by myrla: 28 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#63 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 26 May 2011 - 01:36 AM, said:

Perhaps he just wanted to make his ego GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!!

We went to the second pannel after and I had to roll my eyes when my sister asked him a legitimate question about how he got into graphics and just told her to keep praticing...um, now how about something she didn't know vic.

Back on topic, I want to give a special thanks to Steve Yun for handling the whole situation with the carding issue so well, and dealing pleasently with an agrevated fanboy who got his knickers in a twist after being told to step down since the panel was going to be three guys and two girls.

Bravo and please bring him back next year.

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 28 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#64 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

View Postmyrla, on 28 May 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

Conversely, I traveled from Kansas to IL for this show (while I was also in IL to see friends, we planned the visit around ACen), and didn't see the ONE guest that I wanted to! I in fact didn't get to any panels but my own due to scheduling being that much of a ... let's say it was a disaster, from my standpoint. It was definitely a disappointment on this end and will weigh heavily on me coming to ACen next year as a result. It's something that I just wanted to say and make sure you guys hear. It's a bit different if you're from around Chicago, then if you're flying/driving hours in. I could pick any con to go to (SDCC, Otakon come to mind) and spend money, but most of the time I go to a con it's because of guests and friends. And I could see my friends anytime.

Not to tear it all down, but if you guys would like suggestions or have a place I could write them out more coherently and flesh them out - suggestions, not orders, not slams - I would be happy to. :)

This board is a great place for that. Also, marcques.domask {AT} acen.org.

Quick question: What was it that prevented you from seeing panels?

#65 User is offline   Tomoe 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 9672

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

To me this question has an obvious answer. These series are made by Japanese artist, I don't think it's "elitest" at all to want to see these artists. As opposed to seeing the same limited group of English voice actors, over and over again, year after year.
Acen has brought us some great concerts over the years, but they are seriously in the dumpster when it comes to Japanese VAs, Manga-ka, Directors, Producers, etc. The absolute bottom of the pool. And (not directed at you personally) we're asked for suggestions every year, I hear & read about this everywhere in the local community, it just never gets any better. The Panels were seriously messed up this year too. Who in the world scheduled a Sailor Moon panel in a room with 40 seats (just to name one), Over 200 showed up, Is that hard to predict? I'm sorry but this year is best described as a few bright spots in a pretty frustrating weekend. I think I'll save my money for Otakon.

View PostEl Ken, on 16 May 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Might I inquire as to what your gauge for a good guest list is? You mention quantity, but quantity of what kind of guests? Are you looking for VAs? Manga-ka? Direction? Studio/Production? Musical? Gaming? Cultural? Fashion? American? Japanese? Virtual (thought I'd throw that in there because of the AX Miku thing)? Feel free to say the list is lacking, but I can't make it better if you don't tell me how it is lacking. And if you have suggestions, hit up that sub-forum.

#66 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Panels will be undergoing a nice overhaul - complete with a new DH - as is Guest Relations. The heads for those departments are determined to turn things around this year, especially given the 15th-anniversary status of the con. Now, I know some folks will be skeptical. That's understandable. This is why we're making sure we're on the ball this year. :)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#67 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 21 July 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

Panels will be undergoing a nice overhaul - complete with a new DH - as is Guest Relations. The heads for those departments are determined to turn things around this year, especially given the 15th-anniversary status of the con. Now, I know some folks will be skeptical. That's understandable. This is why we're making sure we're on the ball this year. :)

Thanks for commenting on my section, but aside from my changes, I have no idea what my DHs are planning because I haven't named any yet. I'd appreciate it if you would comment only on what is publicly known information in my subforum, and refrain from supposition and conjecture, especially since this topic is outside of your department and section.

To the attendees: like last year, if staffers post in my subforums, please do not treat the posts as fact unless I personally confirm the information or have previously endorsed that staffer's credentials. So far this year, June Kim is the only endorsed staffer for Guest Relations.

Thank you.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#68 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

View PostTomoe, on 21 July 2011 - 06:41 PM, said:

To me this question has an obvious answer. These series are made by Japanese artist, I don't think it's "elitest" at all to want to see these artists. As opposed to seeing the same limited group of English voice actors, over and over again, year after year.
Acen has brought us some great concerts over the years, but they are seriously in the dumpster when it comes to Japanese VAs, Manga-ka, Directors, Producers, etc. The absolute bottom of the pool. And (not directed at you personally) we're asked for suggestions every year, I hear & read about this everywhere in the local community, it just never gets any better. The Panels were seriously messed up this year too. Who in the world scheduled a Sailor Moon panel in a room with 40 seats (just to name one), Over 200 showed up, Is that hard to predict? I'm sorry but this year is best described as a few bright spots in a pretty frustrating weekend. I think I'll save my money for Otakon.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. My opinions seem to coincide with yours, but not everyone shares that opinion. That being said, I will be working to bring a better balance of Guests of Honor to ACen for 2012 and however many years past that I remain in this position. And, as Valkyrie stated, there is a new Panel DH, so hopefully those will be more well organized (that doesn't say much... how about intelligently organized?) in 2012.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#69 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

View PostEl Ken, on 25 July 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

Thanks for commenting on my section, but aside from my changes, I have no idea what my DHs are planning because I haven't named any yet. I'd appreciate it if you would comment only on what is publicly known information in my subforum, and refrain from supposition and conjecture, especially since this topic is outside of your department and section.

To the attendees: like last year, if staffers post in my subforums, please do not treat the posts as fact unless I personally confirm the information or have previously endorsed that staffer's credentials. So far this year, June Kim is the only endorsed staffer for Guest Relations.

Thank you.

My apologies, El Ken.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users