• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

View PostEl Ken, on 11 May 2011 - 10:17 PM, said:

--EDIT--

CHIKUBI~!!!

Woahh I totally haven't read this thread in a while. Chikubi~~!!! XDD Ken you get all my Mitsudomoe references <333

And I understand about being mindful to the tragedy in Japan. Believe me, I have friends in Japan. I've met musicians just a week before the tohoku earthquake and was devastated when it happened. I'm the last person to complain when I know people who are there.
The only thing is this guest issue has been going on for a while now. I've been going to acen for a while and have constantly asked for more guests and more variety. Not only that, I've been chastised for my reasons for going to a con [because apparently there's a right way and wrong way...] That's why I complain so much and voice my opinions about being disappointed with the guest list. Also, it helps the staff members to know that people want improvement. If we all shut up about our disappointment, how can there be any change?

@OtakuAngelD - most people that complain are CONSTANTLY suggesting guests. Don't say that we don't. I'm always in that suggestion forum asking for musical guests.

Krystal I agree with what you said :/ In fact, I see a lot of new forum members coming in and bringing a lot of hate. What is going on /flips table/ It irks me to see so many rude, curt posts that have no basis. But I won't say anything more than that /sigh/

Linlin brings in a good point. Most people are just disappointed that they buy their badges, hoping for good guests and then find out that there's nothing. It sucks when you pay $50 for a badge and don't feel as if you get your moneys worth. The only time I've seen people being 'pissed off' is when others attack them for wanting guests. Hardly any of those asking for guests or asking for faster announcements are pissed off.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#32 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

View PostGabichox, on 13 May 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

Not only that, I've been chastised for my reasons for going to a con [because apparently there's a right way and wrong way...]

Yeah, I'm getting tired of seeing that sentiment. One person who argued this said their main reason for going to cons is the masquerade. Look, that's FANTASTIC for you. But it's not for me. I'm not paying for a badge and 2 nights at an expensive hotel to see some skits about yaoi or anime shows with a ton of specific references that go over my head. Each to his own. You go for what YOU want, and I'll go for what I want. Certainly I go for things other than guests, such as the atmosphere of the con itself, the vendor's room, and just a good time, but the main draw is guests and I'm not changing that!
Rawr. ♥

#33 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

^ Exactly!
It's always the thing that people say in threads like this. "Well~ Since I believe that going for guests only is stupid then you should too so stop complaining and go for alllll these other reasons" It makes me laugh how many times I see these types of posts :/ It's also extremely offending.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#34 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

This is my fourth convention and I have to say this guest list is REALLY lacking. Even Youmacon had more guests. Looks like I'll be spending most of my time at the photoshoots.... :/

#35 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

View PostGabichox, on 13 May 2011 - 09:25 PM, said:

^ Exactly!
It's always the thing that people say in threads like this. "Well~ Since I believe that going for guests only is stupid then you should too so stop complaining and go for alllll these other reasons" It makes me laugh how many times I see these types of posts :/ It's also extremely offending.

I've noticed - not really here, but elsewhere - that sometimes I or other people will get flack because if we were REAL anime fans we wouldn't want to see ENGLISH VAs anyway. Y'know. Because subs are the only way to watch anime.

HURK.

I just puked from an elitist overdose.
Rawr. ♥

#36 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

View PostATICE, on 14 May 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

This is my fourth convention and I have to say this guest list is REALLY lacking. Even Youmacon had more guests. Looks like I'll be spending most of my time at the photoshoots.... :/

Might I inquire as to what your gauge for a good guest list is? You mention quantity, but quantity of what kind of guests? Are you looking for VAs? Manga-ka? Direction? Studio/Production? Musical? Gaming? Cultural? Fashion? American? Japanese? Virtual (thought I'd throw that in there because of the AX Miku thing)? Feel free to say the list is lacking, but I can't make it better if you don't tell me how it is lacking. And if you have suggestions, hit up that sub-forum.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#37 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

View PostEl Ken, on 16 May 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Might I inquire as to what your gauge for a good guest list is? You mention quantity, but quantity of what kind of guests? Are you looking for VAs? Manga-ka? Direction? Studio/Production? Musical? Gaming? Cultural? Fashion? American? Japanese? Virtual (thought I'd throw that in there because of the AX Miku thing)? Feel free to say the list is lacking, but I can't make it better if you don't tell me how it is lacking. And if you have suggestions, hit up that sub-forum.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but as someone else who thinks the list this year is lacking, I figured I may as well answer this question as well.

ACen is a big con. It regularly makes the AnimeCons.com list of the top 10 biggest anime cons in North America, usually even within the top 5. Last year only two cons surpassed it on the entire continent; Anime Expo and Otakon (of course New York Anime Fest would've taken the 3rd slot if it hadn't merged with New York Comic Con, but my point stands regardless). But when you look at the other cons on the top 10 list for 2009 (since I can't seem to locate the 2010 list for some reason), there's something I notice. Except for ACen and arguably A-Kon and Anime Boston, every con on this list has a very diverse guest list proportional to its attendee count. Here's a breakdown:

Sakuracon had approx. 19k attendees this year. Their guest list included a solid list of American VAs and other industry people including a writer, several DJs, a mangaka, 2 fashion guests, a few seiyuu, and two bands.

Anime North hasn't happened yet and is generally a few thousand attendees smaller than ACen, but it already has a solid lineup with a fair amount of seiyuu, as well as American talent, both VAs and otherwise. It has Helen McCarthy, as does many of these cons. Helen McCarthy is someone that I've been begging ACen to get for years now.

Fanime is also towards the end of the month and it's historically been much smaller than ACen, but already the majority of its guest list is comprised of seiyuu and even a couple directors.

Anime Weekend Atlanta is the smallest con on the list, and last year even it had Shinji Aramaki, a VERY high acclaimed designer.

I personally would like to see ACen put more focus on the following:
-Japanese guests. Any sort of Japanese guests. My personal preference is more on the side of getting manga-ka and directors, but seiyuu, musical guests, and offbeat guests like Ms. Snider for example are also of high value to me. (and with that said, I DO think that this year was a step in the right direction with Ms. Snider and the three Hetalia guests, but given how big ACen is, I still think we can do much better)
-Helen McCarthy. I will not stop bringing her up until this one happens. Also other guests like her; the 'intelligentsia' of anime fandom, if you will. Writers who write about anime and manga would be an incredible asset.
-When it comes to American voice actors, bringing in voice actors to do more than talk about their personal careers is more valuable to me than miscellaneous "big name" VAs like Vic Mignogna. What I like to see is when a con brings in a set of American VAs that all worked on a big show and puts them all in a panel together to talk about that show. Lately a lot of cons have been getting the American VAs for Hetalia and having them talk about it. I'd love to see that and more things like it at ACen.
-Variety. This one is my biggest concern. It's fine and dandy for people who are really into J-fashion when ACen brings in a bunch of fashion guests, but for those of us who could care less, it means the guest list is disappointing. If people are really into a certain show and ACen gets seiyuu from that show, it's great for fans of that show, but if those seiyuu didn't do much besides that show, people who didn't like it or didn't watch it won't care. This was my major complaint with last year's "big" announcement of those Soul Eater seiyuu. I looked them up and most of them hadn't had major roles in anything but Soul Eater. So for people who hadn't seen Soul Eater like myself or that didn't like it, that announcement was horribly disappointing because that was the "big" announcement that year. But if ACen were to get, say, one or two really big seiyuu that had played major roles in a considerable amount of series, a director or mangaka that's mostly know for one or two relatively popular works, a slew of American VAs that all worked on a different majorly popular show, a moderately popular band, an offbeat Japanese guest of some sort, and someone like Helen McCarthy? That would satisfy a lot more people.

Also note to anyone who reads this; please, don't think I'm bashing ACen in any way. I love this con a lot and it'll take a lot more than a disappointing guest list to change that. However, because I love this con, I want it to be the best it can possibly be, and I really don't believe that this is ACen's best.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#38 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

@Ohki - I really couldn't agree more with you. I have gotten some really good feedback this year as a result of the... issues. Thank you for your reply.

My point in making that directed reply was that such general comments made without offering any constructive criticism add absolutely no value to the discussion and borders on trolling. This is not the place for that.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#39 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostEl Ken, on 16 May 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

@Ohki - I really couldn't agree more with you. I have gotten some really good feedback this year as a result of the... issues. Thank you for your reply.

My point in making that directed reply was that such general comments made without offering any constructive criticism add absolutely no value to the discussion and borders on trolling. This is not the place for that.

I assumed that was the case, but I didn't want to be rude and not acknowledge that your comment was directed at someone. Thank you for taking the time to read my response. The way you've responded to the criticisms brought up in this thread have made a very favorable impression on me, by the way. It's really nice to see someone on ACen staff really taking criticism to heart. More often than not I see con staff brush off criticisms (not just ACen, by the way, and actually mostly other events), so this is a really nice change of pace that I highly appreciate. Thank you again.

Also really, Helen McCarthy would be awesome for 2012.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#40 User is offline   Menchi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11059

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

Ohki said:

But if ACen were to get, say, one or two really big seiyuu that had played major roles in a considerable amount of series, a director or mangaka that's mostly know for one or two relatively popular works, a slew of American VAs that all worked on a different majorly popular show, a moderately popular band, an offbeat Japanese guest of some sort, and someone like Helen McCarthy?

Pretty much nailed it. Now I love shopping, meeting people, taking pictures of cosplay, Friday night Rave, etc. but the main draw to ME for a con is the guest list. The above list of activities could just as well describe Comiket, which is free to attend (though for a Westerner with interest, far from free lol). It makes me feel SO much better to read Ken's post knowing that feedback is being read and steps are being taken to push the con in the right direction. I have been attending since 2003 and, just throwing this out there as a benchmark example, I've recently felt 2007 was the "peak" of ACEN...and I'd hate to think that because everything after a peak is downhill (well depends what analogy you use haha). Just looking at the guest list from that year should tell you why.

As a word of caution (and this may help as well) I'm pretty much only talking about Japanese guests here. I do not follow or pay attention to many American guests and probably could not associate American VAs, ADR directors etc with a character or series...not that I have anything against people who ARE interested in the American scene, but I just would not be able to provide a valuable opinion on those kinds of guest recommendations. Just to chime in my own opinion on the matter and building on what Ohki said:

Japanese seiyuu: "major roles in several series" is a pretty tough baseline. Now I see a lot of requests (and have probably been responsible for, in person or online) for currently active seiyuu or even former seiyuu with active careers (I don't see Hirano Aya making ANY US con appearances anytime soon...if she still has fans here that is)...which is obviously very difficult or impossible based on busy schedules, recording and promoting currently airing shows etc. However there are a lot of seiyuu either retired, less active, etc. that I'd love to see. Older seiyuu with many roles may still be difficult to get, but even ones with a few key roles and insight into the industry are worth inviting (and based on popularity trends, those retired seiyuu would still have tons of loyal fans). In 2007 for example, having Minaguchi Yuuko here was great; few lead roles, but a handful of side characters, recognizable voice and gives fans here a window into Japanese anime they can't usually get unless they understand Japanese well enough to follow personal blogs, twitters, etc. Doesn't mean I don't have fanboy wishes...I've still stabbing myself in the foot that I didn't get to see Kikuko Inoue at Otakon in '09, other veteran seiyuu (Mitsuishi Kotono is also on my shortlist but I'll save the giant list for the suggestions board lol).

Director/Mangaka: Agreed completely. Not every con is going to get Yamamoto Yutaka or the like, but I use him as an example because whether or not people in the U.S. paid attention to him before, they surely did after his con appearance in the States. Again, realistic expectations would probably be directors or creators of one work (popular or small, the experience would still be worth it), such as Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve), Umino Chika (Honey & Clover), etc.

Offbeat Japanese Guest: Actually if you could somehow get Danny Choo over here nothing else would matter (joking, but also failing to keep my fanboy in check lol) But agreed on this nonetheless. Music composers? Doujin artists (YESSSSSS PLEASE) Popular NicoNico, etc. Icons (I can see contacting them being the hard part...)

Music: Have to applaud whoever sealed the deal on this one, though I assume it worked out partially because they are also "touring" other cons? Anyway GREAT guest, but let's be honest...I've usually been pretty impressed with ACEN's musical guests (except for maybe 2008? the year after H&MC). However, just some food for thought. In 2007 a friend bought a day pass to ACEN for the sole purpose of seeing High and Mighty Color because "it would be less expensive than a concert in Japan and NO ONE [famous Japanese musical act] comes here so it's well worth it."

On one side I would highly discourage bringing a band here for that sole purpose (such as Morning Musume a la A-X...who cater to no one but Morning Musume fans) BUT those are the bands I'd like to see provided they have a connection to Anime/Manga. FLOW definitely fits that profile of being awesome and share a connection to anime, so keep up the good work on this end. And remember... actually could maybe kill two birds with one stone and invite a seiyuu/seiyuu group who does her/their own singing? Something that's getting more and more popular these days (mostly when they want to promote the characters, or the seiyuu themselves, but still). Might be harder since this applies mostly to currently active seiyuu as well.

Also gotta applaud whoever is responsible for the HARDCORE DJs, they get better every year though I'm disappointed that REDALiCE and DJ SHARPNEL aren't returning this year...but kors k?!? Definitely still rocking out in total as far as the music scene goes.

#41 User is offline   june.h 

• Merchandise Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 387

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

There have been many guests that many cons have thought "they'll never make an appearance any time soon" and lo and behold, they're there.

#42 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

For me FLOW is the only thing I'm looking forward to. ACen does need to improve it's guest relations, I'm sure eventually it'll get better.

#43 User is offline   arina_shirakawa 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 81

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

I remember back "in the days" we were able to get big named guests, like the manga-ka from Love Hina, Ah My Goddess etc. Maybe this is just my observation and the culture of ACen, and I could be wrong. I remember someone on staff telling me that ACen is proud and thrives itself for being a non industrialized con like other big cons. Other big cons will have industries like Bandai backing them up, hence making it a whole lot easier to get big named guests because of the strong industry connection.

With that being said, I'm not trying to suggest that we should get huge industries to sponsor. ACen is a con run by fans, serving fans, and once it becomes industrialized, it would lose that touch. Of course that will mean that things will run or streamline a whole lot smoother, and staff will get paid, but it won't have the same feeling, and it'll feel like going to a car show.

So it's a balance what fans wan, what the upper management can do, and what ACen is truly all about.

Arina Shirakawa (and don't take it as my real name, lol :p ) Registration Staff 2003-2004/ Production/ Semi -Registration Staff 2005

Cheesy with my Cutie Since Dec 14, 2005 <3

Gonna try to get a table @ Artist Alley in 09~ Come Visit me <3

http://arina-shirakawa.deviantart.com

#44 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

I do think there's something to be said about connections with industries like Bandai. I know, I know, they're the big bad evil corporations that'll ruin everything, but y'know, at some point, if the con wants to snag these guests everyone is dying to get...
Rawr. ♥

#45 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:30 PM

I think I could give a few thoughts myself, first I kind of like Vic mignoga a lot, he’s very talented in many ways and loves his fans more then some of the other VA'S I have seen where they are jaded and bring a doom cloud with them when they speak then disappear after their panel.

But Ok first people think about what you want acen to be? Everything has its niche that makes it what it is, be it any business or convention. First thing is look at what we have, I hear people tell me that the vender area in acen is the biggest of any con in the USA, and that Acen has the longest running and highest anticipated Rave of all the raves they have at anime cons, which is not news to me, the music that they call house was born in Chicago its a type of rave music if you did not know, sure there were other influences in house but it was first called house from the gay disco the Wherehouse nightclub, and then you have ghetto house, juke, acid house, and Chicago house all born in Chicago as well as the birth of commercial blues in Chicago, and the several big pop rock bands and artists from Chicago, Denis deYoung, New Colony six, Emily autumn for you Victorian gothic industrial music fans, and of course the band Chicago.

Third of course is the fact that the fifth largest con in the USA is a non profit and most if not all of the workers and staff even the heads are all volunteer, I don’t have to remind you that running a con is chaos and takes lots of planning from peoples already fast paced lives. So for all the nice staff and those that are not nice people remember they are giving of their time, and there are lots of them so even if you are not like me trying to make as many friends as I can in life, take the time to get to know a few of the 20,000 or so, like minded people who may not be exactly like you but come from many backgrounds, Tech people, gamers, artists, business people, otaku, fanboys and fangirls, Christians, Pagans, Atheists, actors, all different races and creeds, and people from all over the nation and for that matter across the world.

Also, it’s a 24 hour con you would be surprised at all the stuff that is said and occurs even at 4:00 AM.

Also note that I would love to see guests that are more cultural in aspect we celebrate not only animation in Japan but in doing so the real part of Japan or culture that inspires it to be created in the first place.

on that note I would love to see the following people as guests, Jaap Koppendryer, a Japanese yumi samurai bow maker and maker of many bows for movies, Kotono Mitsushi the VA of Sailor Moon, Yoko Kanno, the musician of beginning and ending themes of anime like Aquarian the series, and Cowboy Bebop, Cam Clark va for robotech and many cartoons in the 80's and 90's, Maxi Whitehead, va for al on fullmetal brotherhood, Remoko Takahashi of Inuyasha, Ranma1/2, and Urusai Yatsura fame, The Ayers Brothers, Robert and Emily DeJesus the writers, Hayo Miazaki the guy of studio Ghelbi fame, Yukari Tamura VA and singer, Moon Kana the singer, and a Japan X reunion concert with the remaining members.

Thank you for your time.

Arigato, rei the Japanese word for bow.

Signed Jeremy Manga1

#46 User is offline   Menchi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

View PostBakaOrochi, on 18 May 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

There have been many guests that many cons have thought "they'll never make an appearance any time soon" and lo and behold, they're there.

HEY I KNOW YOU :D

Yeah I mean you're right and it will come down to the way you guys approach it, the actual discussion that takes place, availability etc. and I know that anything is possible... so you can look at this as maybe me calling you guys out on it as a challenge to get some of these people here :D

Related a poster a few pages back was citing numbers of Japanese artists in mainstream venues...and while what he said is true, I also wanted to say that some suggestions need to be /reasonable/ ... Utada sold out at pretty much every venue on her USA tour last year so there's your counterexample (well it's not a very good one in terms of argument... but come on, everyone has seen posters thinking somehow Utada...hiatus aside...will show up to an anime convention)

And lastly... I don't see the problem with Sponsorship. If that is an option, it would be foolish [CUE ANIME VILLAIN VOICE] 愚かな人たち!! [/VILLAIN VOICE] to not follow through with it.

it would lose that touch

If you mean the touch of Lady Gaga "cosplayers", Japanese fashion designers (NO disrespect to them as people or for their works of art by the way, before people jump on me), straying away from what an anime/Manga convention should really be about, I don't see the negativity. Yeah. You'll have a license/distributor in 2012 going ALL OUT about their license of Madoka Magica and it will resemble TAF... which actually sounds kind of amazing (TAF is a bad analogy given present circumstances, but just reflect on years past and ignore all the Ishihara-related crap from this year).

things will run or streamline a whole lot smoother

Good, good.

staff will get paid

HECK YES this caveat would not only benefit the work they are putting into the con but also alleviate tensions in the 100s of scuffles that come up between staff and staff v. congoers as far as having a thankless job (which very few people respect).

it'll feel like going to a car show

Except in this case...instead of cars, you'll have sponsors advertising ANIME, something every congoer should have nothing against. I don't know about you, but I love the industry booths at the dealers' room. I love BOTH sides of the industry, companies that are fighting to keep it alive, and doujin (fan-made works). As an active supporter of the anime industry and licensed anime, truth is we are getting an AWESOME deal when it comes to the prices we pay for anime and I'm not going to tell everyone to go out and support the industry, but I feel like the con could definitely benefit from the experience, being backed by companies who are ON THE SAME SIDE as domestic fans. This would benefit both congoers like me who want to see more Japanese guests...and attendees that want more English VA presence. Want to see, say, Johnny Cage? (sorry I really don't know many English VA names like I said lol). Well you can be sure when Funimation hears you he will be on the Funi plane to promote his dub of er, "A Certain Magical Index" whenever it's licensed.

So yeah, I don't see the problem.

Kotono Mitsushi, Tamura Yukari

Well sir, your post is a bit all over the place but major props for these name drops lol. I'd love to see either of these awesome seiyuu at a con.

Robert and Emily DeJesus

Again don't quote me on this, but I thought they have been "regulars" at ACEN? I remember seeing their names a lot in previous years.

Good luck with Miyazaki though haha. His only major "con" appearance is the largely industrialized San Diego Comic Con appearance...which he was there on business as well, promoting "Ponyo". I know June said never say never, but not gonna happen.

This post has been edited by Menchi: 18 May 2011 - 11:56 PM

#47 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

View PostMenchi, on 18 May 2011 - 11:49 PM, said:

HEY I KNOW YOU :D

Yeah I mean you're right and it will come down to the way you guys approach it, the actual discussion that takes place, availability etc. and I know that anything is possible... so you can look at this as maybe me calling you guys out on it as a challenge to get some of these people here :D

Related a poster a few pages back was citing numbers of Japanese artists in mainstream venues...and while what he said is true, I also wanted to say that some suggestions need to be /reasonable/ ... Utada sold out at pretty much every venue on her USA tour last year so there's your counterexample (well it's not a very good one in terms of argument... but come on, everyone has seen posters thinking somehow Utada...hiatus aside...will show up to an anime convention)

And lastly... I don't see the problem with Sponsorship. If that is an option, it would be foolish [CUE ANIME VILLAIN VOICE] 愚かな人たち!! [/VILLAIN VOICE] to not follow through with it.

If you mean the touch of Lady Gaga "cosplayers", Japanese fashion designers (NO disrespect to them as people or for their works of art by the way, before people jump on me), straying away from what an anime/Manga convention should really be about, I don't see the negativity. Yeah. You'll have a license/distributor in 2012 going ALL OUT about their license of Madoka Magica and it will resemble TAF... which actually sounds kind of amazing (TAF is a bad analogy given present circumstances, but just reflect on years past and ignore all the Ishihara-related crap from this year).

Good, good.

HECK YES this caveat would not only benefit the work they are putting into the con but also alleviate tensions in the 100s of scuffles that come up between staff and staff v. congoers as far as having a thankless job (which very few people respect).

Except in this case...instead of cars, you'll have sponsors advertising ANIME, something every congoer should have nothing against. I don't know about you, but I love the industry booths at the dealers' room. I love BOTH sides of the industry, companies that are fighting to keep it alive, and doujin (fan-made works). As an active supporter of the anime industry and licensed anime, truth is we are getting an AWESOME deal when it comes to the prices we pay for anime and I'm not going to tell everyone to go out and support the industry, but I feel like the con could definitely benefit from the experience, being backed by companies who are ON THE SAME SIDE as domestic fans. This would benefit both congoers like me who want to see more Japanese guests...and attendees that want more English VA presence. Want to see, say, Johnny Cage? (sorry I really don't know many English VA names like I said lol). Well you can be sure when Funimation hears you he will be on the Funi plane to promote his dub of er, "A Certain Magical Index" whenever it's licensed.

So yeah, I don't see the problem.

Well sir, your post is a bit all over the place but major props for these name drops lol. I'd love to see either of these awesome seiyuu at a con.

Again don't quote me on this, but I thought they have been "regulars" at ACEN? I remember seeing their names a lot in previous years.

Good luck with Miyazaki though haha. His only major "con" appearance is the largely industrialized San Diego Comic Con appearance...which he was there on business as well, promoting "Ponyo". I know June said never say never, but not gonna happen.

^This. I agree with this. Now don't get me wrong, I adore MAPS. I'm glad that they have brought us ACen to begin with, but if it's the organization holding back the convention in terms of financial backing and support to, dare I say it, SUPPORT the convention, then its time to try something new. If it's the organization that's making it difficult for the convention to obtain high-class guests, then don't look to the organization anymore. (I know this is probably pretty impossible, considering how interconnected MAPS and ACen is.) I also know that staff is volunteer. They take their time and energy to pour into this convention because it serves a greater purpose to them. Some just want ACen to stay alive, some do it cause they think it's fun, and others just want to get a look behind the scenes of running a convention. There are probably a million more reasons that others staff this particular convention, but the main point is that they're doing it for free. I read by a staff member on another thread that the guest relations budget just isn't sizable enough for what the attendees are looking for, and it's difficult to ascertain guests because of scheduling conflicts and whatnot.

A lot of the issues in obtaining, at least in part, American guests could be alleviated. It's probably a bit easier to get American guests to begin with (and cheaper - I looked up a round-trip business class ticket from Tokyo to Chicago. I about wet myself.) and I think that if some of the pressure was taken off of the staff, at least in part, then the entire convention would grow and see the benefits of it. As it is, this convention is run by people who are working for free, and have lives outside of the convention. They have the pressures of their real lives, and trying to deliver for upwards of 20K people. (And a very demanding 20K. Which is to be expected. The attendees shell out hundreds of dollars to attend this event each year because of how great it is. It's perfectly natural to want to see the rewards of their hard-earned cash.) If they were able to get some help on the acquisition front (as far as guests), they could focus on those harder-to-obtain guests, instead of having to do it all. Additionally, I'm assuming that some of these companies have guest relations in Japan as well, and might be able to deliver where the convention itself isn't able to. A company who houses Japanese VA's is probably going to be more receptive to hearing COMPANY A wants to host an event with their VA's as a guest, than if they hear, "ACen wants to host an event with voice actor 'A' as a guest." (This works with other types of guests too, I'm just using VA's as an example.)
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#48 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

There were also many things I was dissapointed with as well. From the pre-reg line to panel problems (such as them moving without telling anyone to moving big panels to smaller rooms, then not telling people in the line that room is full so we didn't know what was going on in the room to the game room closing early, to the musical guest only playing one night. You could say I was not a very happy person on friday night. Was it just me or did it seem like there was nothing to do after midnight? :( Overall i'd give the con a C. Not great. But still had a a good time for a least one day. Also if IRT isn't going to let people line up inside the building for a big event don't yell at other people walking on the street trying to get to other hotels and whatnot. If the sidewalk is full then where else am I suppose to walk. I understand you don't wanna fill up the building, but you can't do both.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#49 User is offline   Menchi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Probably all worthwhile gripes, but don't see what that has to do with Guest Feedback :X

#50 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

Give guest more time/days.

Some guests, either due to their popularity or thier message should defintiely get more than just a single half hour slot on one day. Perhaps for guests like that, one slot on each day would be nice for those of us who couldn't make it to the single panal. Also, in doing that, large name guests, like Yoshiki for instance...more people could get a chance to see him, perhaps reducing line size in the process.

My reason for saying this is because of Hideko Tamura Snider. She has an amazing story to tell and a wonderful lesson to teach. However, she only got one 1/2 hour chance to do so. This, I think, is a real shame.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#51 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

I can't wait to look forward to a bunch of musical guests and American webcomic small-timers that most people who go to anime cons don't care about. :D Good times, good times... Hey, I hope they bring back Vic Mignoigignogna, too. After how he hijacked the Power Rangers panel and made it all about him, that year? Such class. :thumbup:

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 24 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#52 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:32 PM

View PostMenchi, on 23 May 2011 - 09:11 PM, said:

Probably all worthwhile gripes, but don't see what that has to do with Guest Feedback :X

Sorry. I posted this when I saw it in the suggestions/grips page and didn't noticed it moved to here.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#53 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:08 AM

View PostSir Viver, on 24 May 2011 - 08:04 PM, said:

I can't wait to look forward to a bunch of musical guests and American webcomic small-timers that most people who go to anime cons don't care about. :D Good times, good times... Hey, I hope they bring back Vic Mignoigignogna, too. After how he hijacked the Power Rangers panel and made it all about him, that year? Such class. :thumbup:

Ah I remember that panel, sufficet to say was not happy with that situation. :thumbdown:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#54 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

I really wish Yoshiki could have been given more time. There was no way due to scheduling that it was possible for me to see him this year. (I didn't see ANY guests, actually.)

the only experience I have is Otakon 03-06, and there they would have multiple signing/panels, and would have pre-ticketing/registration so you could only sign up for one, to ensure more people could see him overall.

So - my suggestion - If you're going to have guests, give them multiple opportunities to interact with the con, not just a couple hours in the middle of busy panels.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#55 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

I understand where people are coming from on guests and appearance frequency. However, availability is highly dependent on the guest.

Generally, we try and schedule 5 hours of appearances for any given guest, between panels and autograph sessions. Some guests (like those with booths) have less time on the schedule, since they're available in the exhibit hall. Some are rather specialized, like musicians (concert + 1-2 panels + autograph signings).

We also try to spread these appearances out each day, with a small bias towards Saturday when we have the highest traffic.

Now, some guests are only available certain days or during certain times. Yoshiki, for example, had most of his availability Saturday, so that's when his events were. That said, he crammed in a radio show, a two-hour panel, and a long autograph signing into that time.

Is the scheduling absolutely perfect and optimized? Of course not. It's always a best effort affair. That said, I think having too much stuff that you want to do all weekend is a much better problem than scrambling to find entertainment.

#56 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:36 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 25 May 2011 - 01:08 AM, said:

Ah I remember that panel, sufficet to say was not happy with that situation. :thumbdown:
Perhaps he just wanted to make his ego GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!!
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#57 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

I was soo buisy I didn't get to many panels or signings and could not even find the area where they had them made me kind of mad.

#58 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 23 May 2011 - 09:56 PM, said:

Give guest more time/days.

Some guests, either due to their popularity or thier message should defintiely get more than just a single half hour slot on one day. Perhaps for guests like that, one slot on each day would be nice for those of us who couldn't make it to the single panal. Also, in doing that, large name guests, like Yoshiki for instance...more people could get a chance to see him, perhaps reducing line size in the process.

My reason for saying this is because of Hideko Tamura Snider. She has an amazing story to tell and a wonderful lesson to teach. However, she only got one 1/2 hour chance to do so. This, I think, is a real shame.

Tamura-san did have 2 panels scheduled, each 1 hour long. I was able to stop by her session on Saturday, as I was thankfully busy preparing Yoshiki's radio show nearby. I was a bit disappointed in the turnout, but of the approximately 80 people in the session, every single person was fixated on her talk and message. Since I was there, I arranged a book signing right outside the panel room afterward since so many people wanted it. I think that is something we should probably build into the end of the panels in the future.

Tamura-san also had a booth in the Exhibit Hall, though since she was primarily on her own this weekend, it was not always staffed. She was there all day Sunday, however, and I really hope you had an opportunity to meet with and speak with her.

Regarding Yoshiki, he was only in for one day - Saturday. Due to his schedule constraints, well... actually, they told us what his schedule would be that day, and we accommodated them. Either way about it, Yoshiki was only available for a limited period of time at con.

Long story short, like Marcques said, we try to spread out appearances with ample opportunity for attendees to make the sessions, barring scheduling conflicts. This year there were a lot of issues getting the panel schedules finalized and out to everyone, and there are many places where we can make improvements. And we will.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#59 User is offline   Fullmetal_C 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19831

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

I just hope I get autographs next year, with all the confusion with location and times, and signings closing when they were scheduled to first be opening, I wasn't able to get a single thing signed during ACen =,=
Acen 2011!
Kurama - Yu Yu Hakusho
Miria Harvent - Baccano!
Hitagi Senjougahara - Bakemonogatari

Facebook!!! [Şirin Avci]
Cosplay.com!!![Fullmetal_C]
Deviant Art!!![ShojO-ShortY]

#60 User is offline   vortia 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 29414

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:52 AM

The guests this year were certainly lackluster from a pure anime perspective. In the past, I've always enjoyed getting to meet mangaka, directors, and other individuals who are actually involved in the creation of this art-form we all love. I have to say I'm rather disappointed in the way Acen seems to be struggling to get guests of this caliber after years of bringing in some of the heavy-hitters in anime.

On a similar note, I felt like perhaps not enough was done to promote Director Bob Shirohata's attendance. His profile was buried in the program behind just about every other guest and consisted of only a handful of sentences, despite having more to do with anime creation than anyone else within 100 miles. When his attendence was announced on this page and in my email, it was buried invisibly below the announcement for some American VA guest I'd never heard of. Personally, I found this lack of respect a little embarassing.

I briefly attended his panel on anime creation, and it seemed a lot of the younger attendees weren't even aware what his role was in anime creation. I can't blame them, they were mostly all younger fans, but the Con could certainly add a couple of sentences to the program to let people understand the man's stature and position. I'm only vaguely familiar with the man's work, but I feel like we all did him a disservice with his treatment here.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users