• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Am I the only one? I am disappoint

#1 User is offline   Axel08 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 41234

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

To tell you the truth, I am SEVERELY disappointed with the guest list this year. :thumbdown: Most people who were popular on the forums did not make it on the list. I understand that these people are very busy and it takes alot to get someone to come to ACEN, but i personally feel that the staff kinda cheaped out on this years list. I was hoping that with the slight badge increase that there may be more expensive guests. I really hoped for some more Japanese guests and I also feel that alot of people wanted more voice actors/actresses than directors of anime. I am glad about the DJs and clothes designers and This is just my opinion but honestly if i didn't get my badge last year i wouldn't have come this year at all. Don't bite my face off for my opinion please. -_-

Ps: sorry if this is in the wrong topic

#2 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

Moving to the GR forum.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#3 User is offline   Fome 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 2119

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

http://www.acen.org/...ts/page__st__30

You can read this thread for a lengthy discussion on this topic. In short, a lot of people, including both attendees and staff, were disappointed with the relatively lean guest list. El Ken, the section chief of guest relations, offered his sincere apologies and explained some of the difficulties they faced, among which was insufficient funding.

Still, we got some really cool guests at the last minute. Let's make the best of the situation. Personally, this will be my first year that I'm focusing a lot on my cosplay.

#4 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:17 AM

View PostFome, on 10 May 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

Personally, this will be my first year that I'm focusing a lot on my cosplay.

I'm not one to complain, and not saying anything against you, but that is sad. An anime convention is supposed to give us things to look forward to and if in the end we are left to our own devices, then that con has failed the audience.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#5 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on 11 May 2011 - 06:17 AM, said:

I'm not one to complain, and not saying anything against you, but that is sad. An anime convention is supposed to give us things to look forward to and if in the end we are left to our own devices, then that con has failed the audience.

Actually I somewhat disagree. I think the fact that we're getting a mix of people rather then just VA's and directors from Anime is interesting. While I love the casts and crews of the shows we have here and over seas, I just think that it's a nice change of pace for more cultural things to be showcased. Yes there's a limited number of guests, but that doesn't mean it's all bad. I for one gladly welcome the limited guests, that means a chance to see more of them, rather then them running around and not coming to panals. (See major disappointment when Greg Ayres did not attend two of his panels he was supposed to.)
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#6 User is offline   evaunit01berserk 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 32255

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

Axel, I wouldnt place much blame on the staff. There are a ton of factors regarding why guests can and can not come. Scheduling issues, family matters, money. You see gas prices lately?
Need a room? We find rooms.
Throw in a request and we will scour the web

#7 User is offline   Fome 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 11 May 2011 - 06:17 AM, said:

Why do you say you're not one to complain, then proceed to do just that? :wacko:

#8 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

View PostFome, on 11 May 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

Why do you say you're not one to complain, then proceed to do just that? :wacko:

The phrase "(Normally) I'm not one to complain, but..." is frequently used if someone wants to emphasize that they don't often complain in general, or about this specific topic/issue, but this time, they have something less than 100% positive to say.

THE MORE YOU KNOW! :lol:
Rawr. ♥

#9 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

View PostKokoro, on 11 May 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

The phrase "(Normally) I'm not one to complain, but..." is frequently used if someone wants to emphasize that they don't often complain in general, or about this specific topic/issue, but this time, they have something less than 100% positive to say.

I should create a PSA writer position...
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#10 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60057

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

I don't think the guest list is too bad. The first announcement of the 4 guest, I wanted to meet 2 of the 4. One of the guest, Cristina Vee, is the VA I would most like to meet right now, so I was excited! Colleen Clinkenbeard I met before, but glad that she's coming this year again, and was disappointed she couldn't make it last year.

The rest of the list there's a few others I would like to meet, but normally for Acen there's only about 3-4 people I want to meet anyways :/

#11 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

You're not the only one who is dissapointed, you're just the first to make a thread about it so far. ;p The only thing to do is hope next year has a better result, and appreciate that we at least have some guests. We coud have none.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#12 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

Yes, the guest list is a bit lacking this year compared to previous years. However:

-There's still tons of amazing panels that can appeal to everyone, not including whatever panels the guests will do.
-We're getting a top-notch band to perform this year, and one that has performed songs for several, very popular anime.
-There's still the big events, like the Soap Bubble and Masquerade, to go to and enjoy.
-The video programming for this year has yet to be announced, which will lead to more appeal to guests and very likely they'll even some surprising premiers.
-Plenty of awesome vendors in the Dealer's Room, as well as the Artist's Alley to keep you entertained.

And who knows what else. Yeah, the guests are important to the con, but even then, there's still a lot more things to do during the con that can make it a lot of fun. You just need to not focus primarily on the guests. :P
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#13 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

I'm with you on that one OP. I've actually seen many threads about the disappointing guest list as well as how late the con was at announcing them.
I would've made a thread like you did but I'm so tired of saying anything because right away people talk about how we shouldn't be so focused on the guests, we shouldn't feel entitled to more guests, we shouldn't complain blah blah blah. It gets repetitive after a while. But I'm glad I'm not the only one that wasn't happy with the final guest announcement ;D
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#14 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

Quite right.

Fome, if you are on the forums more often you would know that I rarely ever complain about stuff.

#15 User is offline   Axel08 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 41234

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thank you all for not being rude, i greatly appreciate it. ^_^

#16 User is offline   Fome 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 11 May 2011 - 08:38 PM, said:

Quite right.

Fome, if you are on the forums more often you would know that I rarely ever complain about stuff.

That's nice that you rarely ever complain about stuff

I know what it means. Doesn't make it any less pretentious of an expression. If one is going to complain, at least don't pretend to be all nice "normally."

This post has been edited by Fome: 11 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

#17 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

View PostFome, on 11 May 2011 - 09:53 PM, said:

That's nice that you rarely ever complain about stuff

I know what it means. Doesn't make it any less pretentious of an expression. If one is going to complain, at least don't pretend to be all nice "normally."

*retracted*

This post has been edited by Suigetsu: 12 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

#18 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

I loled.

View PostAxel08, on 11 May 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

Thank you all for not being rude, i greatly appreciate it. ^_^

I'd really hate it if people were being rude in my forums. And I haven't seen you here before, Axel, so welcome. As many of the regular posters here know, I'm keeping a close eye on the forums and I'm eager to hear everyone's input and suggestions. Please feel free to contribute to the discussion more of what you see can be improved on the guest front.

Thanks!

--EDIT--

CHIKUBI~!!!

Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#19 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Well, I'm not super giddy but I'm keeping an open mind. My favorite Djs are returning for the dances ( M-project and Amaya). Just have to keep a positive mind set for next year :] . The only staff related complaint I might have would be the rather late timing this year but I understand this is not a day job and there is probably lots going on in your own lives.
Mainly
Spoiler

I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#20 User is offline   Fome 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

View PostEl Ken, on 11 May 2011 - 10:17 PM, said:

I'd really hate it if people were being rude in our forums. And I haven't seen you here before, Axel, so welcome. As many of the regular posters here know, I'm keeping a close eye on the forums and I'm eager to hear everyone's input and suggestions. Please feel free to contribute to the discussion more of what you see can be improved on the guest front.

Thanks!

--EDIT--

CHIKUBI~!!!

Ken, your professionalism is always appreciated. I think, as a whole, we have a pretty decent guest list. Much better than what it seemed like a month ago. Can't wait for FLOW!

#21 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

I think one also has to keep in mind what happened in Japan. Right now, a lot of foreign guests are probably harder to get hold of. They have families at home and a lot of them have lives that might have to be rebuilt. I for one understand that some big name guest might not be in attendance. Instead of being ungrateful for what we could get, let's be happy that we got guests at all. and instead of complaining about who is and isn't there, make a list of who you'd like to see attend the con and send it to someone with the power to make that happen.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#22 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 11 May 2011 - 11:04 PM, said:

I think one also has to keep in mind what happened in Japan. Right now, a lot of foreign guests are probably harder to get hold of. They have families at home and a lot of them have lives that might have to be rebuilt. I for one understand that some big name guest might not be in attendance. Instead of being ungrateful for what we could get, let's be happy that we got guests at all. and instead of complaining about who is and isn't there, make a list of who you'd like to see attend the con and send it to someone with the power to make that happen.

I was in Japan after the tsunami, and I met with a potential guest who was unable to come to ACen because of the devastation along the coastline. Though at least an element of what you say is true, the quake and tsunami mostly did not affect the guests with which we inquired. After all, we begin guest inquiries well before con, and in this case, well before the earthquake even occurred. For 2012, I'm starting much earlier (like now).

And like I said before, I'm not upset with the guests we did get, but that we didn't get enough of them pertaining to anime and especially manga. I wanted to expand to new guests without reducing the number of anime-related guests, and I fell short of that mark this year.

As for making suggestions, please do so in the Suggestions subforum. I will remain in the position for at least the next con year, and I've got my eyes and ears open.

I look forward to hearing from you all!
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#23 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

View PostEl Ken, on 11 May 2011 - 11:35 PM, said:

I was in Japan after the tsunami, and I met with a potential guest who was unable to come to ACen because of the devastation along the coastline. Though at least an element of what you say is true, the quake and tsunami mostly did not affect the guests with which we inquired. After all, we begin guest inquiries well before con, and in this case, well before the earthquake even occurred. For 2012, I'm starting much earlier (like now).

And like I said before, I'm not upset with the guests we did get, but that we didn't get enough of them pertaining to anime and especially manga. I wanted to expand to new guests without reducing the number of anime-related guests, and I fell short of that mark this year.

As for making suggestions, please do so in the Suggestions subforum. I will remain in the position for at least the next con year, and I've got my eyes and ears open.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Good to hear that the departments are starting a bit early. I can't wait to see who you are able to get for next year and hope that you keep working in this department for a long time Ken. It's nice to see a GR head that listens to what others want.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#24 User is offline   Miss Marie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17089

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Honestly, guests aren't the big draw to Acen for me personally. I care much more about having a lot of good panels, and this year there are plenty to keep me busy.

#25 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

O RLY? Then why make a comment implying you didn't understand why she was using the expression and making a complaint at the same time?

I don't really see how it's pretentious at all, but whatever. Also, implying that her complaint about Acen's guests means she's NOT a nice person "normally" (instead, she's just pretending to be with her "pretentious" comments) is pretty lame. It's not like her post said, "OH MAN U SUCK HARD ACEN WE ALL HATE UR GUTS F U DIE DIE DIE RAWRAWRAWRAWRAWR!" THEN that statement would have looked like a load of bull. But she aired her disappointments in a mature manner.

Complaining person does not = total jerk.

Mod edit for language
Rawr. ♥

#26 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Also, with all due respect, Suigetsu has been here for YEARS, and has always been a great and non-complaining member! I don't see why you think its ok to waltz onto these forums and start bashing someone you don't know at all within your first 20 posts. It is really not a good first impression, and it really has nothing to do with guests.

To be honest, this was the first year I wanted to really see the guests, so I'm a bit dissapointed. But that's because I've not seen much of their work. It may prompt me to, so maybe this is a great year anyway!
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#27 User is offline   Fome 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Guys calm down. I retract my posts implying Suigetsu is not a nice person. She actually is a nice person. :highfive:

This post has been edited by Fome: 12 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

#28 User is offline   Christy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 2434

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 11 May 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

Well, I'm not super giddy but I'm keeping an open mind. My favorite Djs are returning for the dances ( M-project and Amaya). Just have to keep a positive mind set for next year :] . The only staff related complaint I might have would be the rather late timing this year but I understand this is not a day job and there is probably lots going on in your own lives.

I try to keep in mind that the con doesn't have as much control over WHEN they can announce guests as one might think. They can't exactly announce who they're approaching lest we get our hopes up and then get pissed off when the guest declines the invite.

So if Acen doesn't announce guests until April, I'm going to assume that it's because it took the GUEST until April to confirm for sure that they are indeed coming.

#29 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

I've been going for 8 years and each year the guest list dwindles down to the point where I stopped going for the guests. I was happy to see a handful of amazing guests over the years and expected the same each year, but I stopped getting my hopes up. If I did go this year, I would have liked to see FLOW and one other guest... but other than that I would still be happy to attend all of the other events, but not for the price of a full badge. To me it doesn't seem like I'd get my moneys worth out of it when I'll be paying so much for a hotel. Also the lack of a guest list about a month before the con is highly disappointing.

I am not going this year, but I am still disappointed in a con that I helped out for a few years and have been going to for almost a decade which is one of the largest anime cons in the midwest. We are not a new con and should be on the ball as far as guests go, but there is always room for improvement. I just wasn't expecting that it'd need this much improvement. =(

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#30 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

View PostFome, on 12 May 2011 - 02:24 PM, said:

Guys calm down. I retract my posts implying Suigetsu is not a nice person. She actually is a nice person. :highfive:

She? :P Sui is a boy .

View PostChristy, on 12 May 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

I try to keep in mind that the con doesn't have as much control over WHEN they can announce guests as one might think. They can't exactly announce who they're approaching lest we get our hopes up and then get pissed off when the guest declines the invite.

So if Acen doesn't announce guests until April, I'm going to assume that it's because it took the GUEST until April to confirm for sure that they are indeed coming.

Yes BUT it sucks for the people that do go to cons for guests to wait only to discover they bought a badge for nothing.( Not really in this group myself but I understand where they are coming from) And a lot of cons have guests cancel, it happens. I think people would be more disappointed than pissed as it probably had little to do with staff at that point.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users