Anime Central Forums: What was your first cosplay? - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What was your first cosplay? And how badly did it fail? :)

#61 User is offline   Naima Katara 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61448

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

My first was Tifa from Advent Children for halloween 2008. I also created a Cloud for my ex. Considering I hand stitched everything and we had no money for materials, it came out pretty good. I used an old sweater, my choir dress, some old grim reaper costume robe, and an old leather jacket. Looking back, it wasn't my finest work but it was good for what I had to work with!
ACen 2013 cosplays
Chidori: Persona 3
Zoe: Firefly
Lenalee: D Gray Man
Tsubaki: Soul Eater

#62 User is offline   Shaherah 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61572

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

My first convention was ACen just three years ago and I've been hooked ever since lol. My first cosplay was Chun Li -- it went fairly well...it seems there were about 15 Chun Li's at acen tho (and are every year) So I felt like a repeat. BUT I've since learned to atleast get my costumes commissioned and custom made so just in case anyone is the same character I am that atleast I look different than them (alternate costumes and custom designed fits for the win)

I'm bringing my daughter and her sitter with us this year...this will be her first cosplay. She is 6, and she will be Jubilee from X-Men (youngest memeber of the team indeed.) I'm so excited it is going to be adorable...and I'm gonna end up making her as addicted to cosplay as I am :D
Ororo's Free Hugs 2012
*Embrace the Storm*

~*HeraLuv*~

2012 Cosplay: Ororo aka Storm from X-Men (90's version & X-Treme X-Men version);
also featuring fellow team captain Cyclops with Rogue, Jubilee, and Marvel's Black Panther. Come say Hi when you see us - Hera*

#63 User is offline   xSkylar 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61556

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Pfffttt mine was Jakotsu from InuYasha back in fall 2005~
Anime Central 2014
Hanji Zoe [Shingeki no Kyojin]Mama Toad [Thumbelina]

#64 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

MY first cosplay was in '04 it was an odd choice but i went as Amon from Witch hunter Robin. just cause i liked the whole trench coat thing and he was awesome from what i remember lol. I wore an actauly long priest coat, then the trench coat. and this was a HOT day lol. my coplay was average. didnt fair too well with the taking pictures since no one wanted to take my picture XD lol though a Robin was giving me the googly eyes LOL. not as brilliantly good as my second cosplay as sasuke a few years later lol.

#65 User is offline   noodlenaut 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61635

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

My first cosplay was acen 09, I was a super last minute nana from Elfenlied. It failed so hard. My cosplays have gotten signifigantly better thank goodness. I normaly handmake my outfits so I give myself bonus points for effort. They aren't as good as somepeoples but at least they're recognizable.
witty catchphrase

#66 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58998

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

First one I made was for Ramencon '11
Fang... meehhhh
2011: C.C.
2012: Moka Akashiya / (Bunny)Sebastian Michaelis
2013: ??? / White Rabbit Sebastian / Nurse Akali / Cosmo?

ermahgerd ferceberk

#67 User is offline   skinnyneko 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61737

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Oh dear. I cosplayed Ritsuka from Loveless...I made the costume THE DAY OF ACEN. I raided my closet, stuck on some ears and a tail, and called it cosplay. xD

#68 User is offline   Winry429 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59693

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Oh lord~ My first cosplay was three years back. Misa Amane from Death note and it was a closet cosplay.
This year, I'll be Olivier Armstrong from FMA Brotherhood~
"A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain something without sacrificing something. But by enduring pain and overcoming it, he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart, a fullmetal heart."

#69 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

My first cosplay was technically when I dressed up as Sailor Pluto for Halloween in Elementary school.But my first convention cosplay was a Gijinka Latios cosplay, as I was supposed to be going with a Latias.Well she decided to scrap it at the last second because she thought it looked like crap (it did...) so I was stuck alone.Then my wings didn't work so I had to scrap them.So I ended up looking like a girl in a weird dress.
Dress...and mind you Latios is the only MALE ONLY Pokemon.facepalm.
I ended up buying a Fuu cosplay on a whim and wearing it the rest of the weekend.Haha.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#70 User is offline   Izuro 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 4277

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

My very first cosplay was a closet cosplay (does that count??) of Ryuuzaki Umi from Magic Knight Rayearth way back at ACen 2001. I don't have pics of it anymore to refresh my own memory, but for a closet cosplay, I happen to think it was mildly passable haha. My first sewn cosplay was Di Gi Charat for ACen the next year which wasn't amazing but it came out rather well!!......... since I had my sewing teacher helping me make it. The subsequent cosplays I made for quite a while after that were definitely pretty terrible in terms of construction at least. It took a while before I could grasp the concept of finishing seams nicely and then learning how to line things. To be honest, I'm still not really great at it!
ACen 2011:
- Hinata Hideki, "Angel Beats!" and Fujisaki Yusuke ('Bossun'), "SKET Dance"

ACen 2012:
- Kihara Atsuro, "Devil Survivor"

#71 User is offline   Natsu Dragneel 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60830

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

My first con was A&G 09, I was cosplaying Gaara. It went fairly well. I don't really remember much else, other than coming down with mono. :D

#72 User is offline   Kamiokande 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61736

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

My first cosplay was L. You know, the guy from Death Note. The really easy Death Note cosplay. The hair was wrong, the make-up was wrong, the shirt was wrong, and the jeans were wrong. I failed at L. The other Death Note cosplayers pretended I wasn't cosplaying or maybe they didn't know I was supposed to look like L. No one wanted to take a picture of me. The head of con ops finally took a picture of me using my camera so I could prove to people that I really had become a cosplayer.

#73 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Iruka from Naruto. The only correct-color green fabric I could find for the vest was flannel. I could have easily dyed something more suitable to fit, but what did I do instead?

Yeah.

And I was PROUD of that thing, too! *hangs head in shame*

At least I managed to cannibalize the zipper from it for a proper vest the next year? ^^;

#74 User is offline   Jeremy Nelson 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63142

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

MINE WAS EDWARD ELRIC AND I MADE THE WHOLE THING LOL IT WAS PRETTY BAD BUT I WAS YOUNG SO LOTS OF PEOPLE GAVE ME PROPS FOR MAKING IT!!

#75 User is offline   Dex_Link 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 30007

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

My first public cosplay (non Halloween type of costumes) was in 2003 for the Matrix Revolutions premier... My friends and I got a group of 15 of us to go see at the only digital format theatre in Illinois -- and all 15 of us were in costume. I was Neo, and after dropping nearly $300 on a custom-tailored cassock coat to match his exactly in the movie, I was satisfied. The group cosplaying experience was WAAAAAAAY better than that film...
My first cosplaying at a con experience was ACen 2009, when two of my friends and I cosplayed as a steampunk airship crew. This was right as the whole steampunk subgenre was really taking off, and our group was really well recieved -- so much so, that it hooked me as a cosplayer for life. Unfortunately, I have never (and will never again) cosplay steampunk, as the whole thing to me has spiraled out of control and too many people have turned me off of a subgenre of science fiction-fantasy that I had been enjoying since the very early 1990s... aaaaaaaaawwwww well...
2009 cosplay: Steampunk 2010 cosplay: Steve Fox, 'Tekken 6' 2011 cosplay: John Marston, 'Red Dead Redemption' 2012: DID NOT ATTEND
2013 cosplay: Team Rocket Luchador grunt, 'Pokemon'

2014 cosplay: Finn in Jake Suit, 'Adventure Time'
Possible 2015 cosplay: Dwalin, 'The Hobbit'; Link, 'LoZ'

#76 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

My first cosplay was Fuuko Ibuki from Clannad and it was abysmal. The entire costume was way too big for me (the skirt went past my knees), and it was from some sketchy Chinese shop so it was all hideous polyester. I didn't have a wig, and didn't even bother straightening my very curly hair. Instead of black tights, I wore white ankle socks. It was just a mess.

I'm glad those days are over for me. XD
ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#77 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Oh my god...badly cosplayed aradia medigo in 2011. I had done ok but I screwed up on the horns big time.
never again xD
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#78 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62857

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

My first cosplay was No Brand Con 2008 i was princess serenity....... i kept worrying about the dress falling off and my wig was super cheapy. Although my second cosplay was probably my worst which was ACen 2011 i was running around as Yuna from FFX and my bf at the time was Vivi. the only thing good about my yuna cosplay were the boots and the staff its definetly on the list for a complete redo
ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant
Irelia base sking - League of Legends
Past Cons
ACen 2014-Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity V.1 & V.2-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

#79 User is offline   Green Dragon 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7168

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

First ever cosplay was Wolfwood from Trigun, which at the time just consisted of a suit. No prop guns, no giant-butt cross to carry, just a suit. Thankfully my girlfriend at the time was Vash so the connection could've been made easily, but I that first year was rough. The next two years I remedied that by making a cardboard cross covered in sheets.
Anime Central Cosplay History

* ACen '04, '05, '06: Nicholas D. Wolfwood - ACen '07: Gendo Ikari / Bryan Fury
* ACen '08: Gendo Ikari / Capt. Aizen Sousuke - ACen '09: Gendo Ikari / Daisuke Jigen
* ACen '11: Tom Baker, Fourth Doctor - ACen '12: Fourth Doctor / Capt. Aizen Sousuke
* ACen '13: Capt. Kyouraku Shunsui - ACen '14: Kiba (Wolf's Rain) / Ninth Doctor

#80 User is offline   JCWarriorCats 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 63334
  • Location:On the brink of Insanity and Where Has My Memory Gone? Lane

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

My first cosplay was this year at Ohayocon when I went as Prison Uniform Rukia Kuchiki. I the week of the con altered a white bathrobe so it looks a bit off cause the fabric I used doesnt match the robe color, but people were impressed it seemed none the less XD However I kept getting caught on things owo'
~*Hope is but a simple flame... Always flickering, but always there.*~ JC

#81 User is offline   shastacola85 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58966

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

My first con was at Anime Iowa, and my first cosplay was Katara (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

So much fun making it, and then to see how I made it now. I started cosplaying in 2010 and I love it :lol:/>/>

This post has been edited by shastacola85: 05 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

Artangel85's 2014 Cosplay List:
(Friday) Seras Victoria (Hellsing, Yellow OVA): 90%
(Saturday) Katara "old friends" (Avatar: The Last Airbender) 0%
(Sunday) Sophie Hatter (Howl's Moving Castle) 100%

#82 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted here yet!

My first Cosplay was at my first ACen. Actually - first cosplayS. I attempted 3 for my first convention - probably because I had gotten so swept up in the excitement of the con that I wanted to be like everyone else who I saw was doing multiple cosplays.

Anyway! After spending what little I had on a pre-made Kuukaku costume from Bleach and on it's altering since it didn't fit, I had no real money left to spend on cosplay materials, so I decided to see what I could pull together from what was already hanging in my closet from hand me downs, and thrift store purchases.

I had an old fashioned dress that really looked similar to Robin from Witch Hunter Robin and even had a velvet(teen?) ankle length jacket. I knew it wasn't enough to try to be Robin so I decided to try to do an original character from the show - the daughter of the two main characters. It wasn't terrible - but I felt that I would have just been better doing a cheap Robin because in the end, that's what I looked like.

But the worst, was my super last minute costume - cat form yoruichi from Bleach. Once again, pulled together from my closet, I didn't have enough to try to make her human form but I really loved the character so I figured, I can go as the cat form. I had some ears and tail that I made a while back so I spray painted them black (to this day they still feel tacky and the paint wipes off), wore some black leggings, a short sleeve black tee, homemade black sleeves and black boots with a heel. I also made "claws" with thin winter gloves, false nails and black nail polish (to my credit, they are sharp as heck).

Of course, no one knew who I was AND to top it off, I spent the entire time in the costume in line-con....though I suppose it was better that way since I don't think I would want picture proof of that disaster (though there is one floating around since I was in line next to human form Yoruichi, we got asked for a pic together in line...never did find it either)

But...I did learn a lot then, the main thing being - don't wait until the last minute to pull something together.
I also learned that people aren't as mean as I thought they would be. I mean, I still had fun and got a few shout outs in the crappy costumes. In fact, the Robin one lead me to meeting Kusa-chan who is still a great friend.
And finally I learned that while original characters are great, I liked the feeling of being recognized and stopped for photos, so I try to do characters from shows instead. Granted, I still do characters who mean something to me not just popular ones for recognition - it is still about having fun and being a character that I love. ^_^

Sorry to get all long winded here. I learned a lot my first cosplay/con attempt and I like to look back and remember where I can from and see how I've progressed. It's a great feeling to see those achievements.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#83 User is offline   Appletini 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 64916

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

My first attempt at dressing up for ACen happened last year when I attended in a homemade Lolita dress. For some reason, I decided to crochet the dress instead of sewing with fabric since I am really good at crocheting. I spent about six months on it and had to veto many parts from my original sketch since my large size did not allow for the curves that I was going for. The final product was okay and I was satisfied with it until I realized the temperature that day was going to be in the 80's and I was wearing basically 50lbs. of thick yarn. I made it through the day but when I looked at pictures of myself in the dress, I was sourly disappointed. I have now vowed to never do that again. But it was a good learning experience. Now I have a great sewing machine and I plan on making a costume that won't bog me down in the heat.

#84 User is offline   blackcat18 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16853

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

my first was a Lirin-chan from Saiyuki....it was mostly me in haphazardly put together black and white clothes...i knew it failed but i wanted to try...oh how i tried..
ACen 2015

Female Otoya Ittoki- 100% done
Leafeon ginjinka- 100% done
Kaoru Hitachin - 50% done (need jacket and tie yet...)

#85 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62857

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

My first was princess serenity at No Brand Con 08 for the most part it was ok. I had hot glued the hem because i ran out of time and the wig was falling apart by the end of the second day.
ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant
Irelia base sking - League of Legends
Past Cons
ACen 2014-Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity V.1 & V.2-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

#86 User is offline   MCP 3.3 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 64951

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

My first cosplay was Super Mario back in 2003, and looking back on it I did a pretty crappy job. I had no clue what the style of hat was called, so I tried to make it myself. I used a pair of ratty old paint overalls and paint gloves. But what was cool is that I later found a picture of myself on the ACen guys website and ACen Guy Brown was saying how mine was one of his favorites of that years con, so I have just kept improving on my cosplays every year.
END OF LINE.

#87 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

My first cosplay was at Anime Crossroads '09. I was Fuuko Ibuki from Clannad and it... was bad. Chinese sweatshop costume that was too big for me, no wig (I didn't even straighten my hair o___o), sneakers and ankle socks instead of loafers and tights... I don't know what I was thinking. Now, I'd sooner die than wear something like that. Five years have made quite the difference. XD
ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#88 User is offline   ei666shii 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59746

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Aura from Final Fantasy Unlimited. It was when Anime Reactor still existed.

#89 User is offline   Raenef 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 64953

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

On Halloween costume level? Kyo from Fruits Basket at my first GenCon in '05. (I only had to spray my hair orange, and only had to find a belt.)

Real one? Miyavi from Freedom Fighters at MetroCon (The following Spring). Yeah, shaved half of my head and took 3 days to dye the rest of my hair, learning how hard it is to sew in hair extentions of multiple colors. (Acrylic paint hurts when you put it on your face all day too.) And I learned that spraypainting is harder than it looks. I had black fingers for a week.

Since then, my cosplays have become harder...and odder to explain at the fabric store.
2014 Cosplays
- Canada (Hetalia) (100%)
- Sealand (Hetalia) (100%)
- Neptune (Hyperdemension Neptunia) (87%)
- Blue Link (Legend of Zelda) (98%)

Past Cons
- GenCon (x9), Anime Central (x6), MetroCon (x5), Anime Crossroads (x4), OhayoCon (x1), SugoiCon (x1), AnimeNEXT (x1), (Colossalcon (x1) ( = 28cons)

#90 User is offline   Akushou 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 12064

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

It was Sango from Inuyasha back at Anime Detour 2004, I believe. Looking back, it was a terrible costume with barely any effort put in. Used my own hair, a black top and black pants, regular shoes, and the armor was made out of some pink foam sheets. Boomerange was made from cardboard with fabric over top. Sooo glad I've advanced since then...
ACen 2014 Costume Lineup

- Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha) | 99% complete
- Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY)| 60% complete
- Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara!!) | 100% complete

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users