Fake Female Gamers Brilliant Social Discovery!!!111

#91 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostKrystal, on 08 February 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

I think the real problem is when girls who actually game think they're God's gift to men everywhere just because she has nerdier hobbies. Men are not obligated to buy you drinks or worship you because you know how to use a game console. When I meet a girl who likes anime or video games, I get so excited that I now have other girls to hang out with, but when all you want to do is brag to men about how "nerdy" you are, I instantly facepalm. It's true that a lot of guys want girls that can sit back and relax with them, but to think that having ONE good trait excuses you from having to be a decent human being disrespects ANY man who is tricked into liking you, and cheapens "nerdy" women everywhere by making guys think that we are ALL entitled, crazy beeyotches.She may be a "true" fan, but she doesn't get to use that fact to explain her narcissistic, self-serving behavior.

Well thought out post, Krystal. And I agree completely. You see a lot of this, especially on MMOs.

View PostSir Viver, on 08 February 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Here's how to tell if someone's a real female gamer or a fake female gamer.

>at any point, types "I'm a girl" in an online game's chat box, without even being asked about her gender.

^This kind of person is what's known as an "embarrassment." Furthermore, replace "a girl" with anything. "(insert race here)," "(insert sexual orientation here)," etc... That is, if they just announce it out of the blue.

>sits back, and whether he/she's good or bad at an online game, enjoys it and doesn't feel the need to draw attention to himself/herself by announcing such things unasked. Does his/her best, legitimately enjoys a good challenge, and actually likes video games.

^This is a real gamer.

Oh, Sir Viver.Lulz.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#92 User is offline   Phantasmagoria 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17773

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

"Girl gamers" make me sick. 85% of them go "OMG I GOT A KILL ON HALO" and consider themselves that. It's so retarded. They give us a bad name for girls that played DOOM for PS1 and Jurassic Park for Genesis when they were 4 (your's truly).
ACEN 2012
Facebook: http://www.facebook....alexandriaburns

FRIDAY: Chii (Chobits) SATURDAY: Yuna (Final Fantasy X) SATURDAY NIGHT: TripleSix (Soap Bubble)

#93 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostPhantasmagoria, on 02 April 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

"Girl gamers" make me sick. 85% of them go "OMG I GOT A KILL ON HALO" and consider themselves that. It's so retarded. They give us a bad name for girls that played DOOM for PS1 and Jurassic Park for Genesis when they were 4 (your's truly).

Oh man, I had that Jurassic Park game for Genesis, and it was so awesome!
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#94 User is offline   Phantasmagoria 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17773

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 02 April 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

Oh man, I had that Jurassic Park game for Genesis, and it was so awesome!

It was so hard I could never get past the museum part at the end! XD
ACEN 2012
Facebook: http://www.facebook....alexandriaburns

FRIDAY: Chii (Chobits) SATURDAY: Yuna (Final Fantasy X) SATURDAY NIGHT: TripleSix (Soap Bubble)

#95 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostPhantasmagoria, on 02 April 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

It was so hard I could never get past the museum part at the end! XD

haha same here!
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#96 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

OhmyGod, are you guys talking about the JP game where you could play as a raptor or Dr. Grant?
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#97 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 03 April 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

OhmyGod, are you guys talking about the JP game where you could play as a raptor or Dr. Grant?

Precisely!

#98 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

YOU GUYS.

YOU. GUYS.

I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVED THAT GAME.

DR. GRANT WAS MY FIRST CRUSH EVER.

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS. DO YOU REMEMBER THE LEVEL WHERE YOU WERE ON THAT BOAT?
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#99 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Well Bre is legit.
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#100 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61317

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

...I will admit to gleefully trolling grown men at the arcade during my junior high career. My girl friend and I would pretend to be clueless (DeeDee: "What does THIS button do?") about whatever fighting game was open. Occasionally, we'd get free plays from very nice guys genuinely trying to explain things, but more often it was a group of guys trying to kick us off "their" game. Felt pretty good to make them drop all their change and leave. Without trash-talking, either (thanks for endorsing THAT, Capcom).

Did this make us "fake"? Eh. It took us a while to practice and get good at a variety of games to be able to troll reliably well. It was a hobby before we started competing. So no, I don't think it did.

And sometimes, when my husband decides he needs a newer system, goes and copies all his saves from old to new, tells me when I get home that this new system is awesome and in no way a waste of money, then sets me down with the controller and favorite game to let me see for myself, only to find all my save data missing...and he adds, "And I sold our old system to make up the cost!"...yeah. Those times? I start to think karma is at work.
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku
Naoto Shirogane (detective ver.)

#101 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Maybe Hoshi. Your husband seems like a nice guy though. Ever heard of Kayane?

#102 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

This is why Gurl Gamerz are scum of the internet.

No one but dipsticks think you're special for having breasts, a higher voice, a vagina, and a second X chromosome and the ability to hold a controller or keyboard and mouse at the same time. Roughly half of the world can be like that. Congrats on your faux popularity, ladies. Your check is in the mail.

These are the kind of women who are going to be in a gutter somewhere in Virtual New Jersey with a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew stuck to their leg.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#103 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Though I'm not a fan of what I like to call "Pink Xbox Controller Syndrome"
isn't there a similar phenomena about some "bros" who are total gamers?
LULZ CALL OF DUTY IS THE BEST MAN. I R SO GAMER.
seriously, it's terrible.
If you only , ONLY play first person shooters then you are not a "gamer"
actually, can we throw the term "gamer" out the window?
It's a little annoying. Like playing video games, no matter how many hours, should not define you as a person.
I think almost anyone that labels themselves a "gamer" may be trying too hard to show off that yes, they play video games.
Which is fine, I like video games, most of you gents and ladies like video games. But let's not label ourselves.
It is like when someone calls themselves an "otaku".
Which I'm not saying otaku don't exist , but like gamers, they really don't need to call themselves that. It is a bit of a negative term that people in the States think means "anime fan"
... it doesn't.

sorry , /rant rant rant.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#104 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 April 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

sorry , /rant rant rant.

Don't be, you made a legitimate point. However, we always have these labels we like to give each other and ourselves. It will never change.

As far as "gamers" go, even if you play Generic Space Marine Adventures, Wii Babby games, or Indie Bullpoop You Haven't Heard Of IV on the new IpAD, you are one, plain and simple. Anyone with the will and money to pay for a platform and game is one. It's not like some ritzy country club, but hey, anything to feel like we belong.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#105 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

ah, but the main point of a lot of the people here is that if a girl only plays pokemanz and kingdom heartszu that they are not "gamers" I was just saying there is a male equivalent to that.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#106 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

There are fake guy gamer. You know what games they play. I get called gay for playing crap like FF, Sonic, Mortal Kombat, and etc.

#107 User is offline   kotomichi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61591

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

To be honest, I think it's kind of sad that a girl would pretend to be a hardcore gamer just to get a guy.

...most guys who are hardcore gamers, no offense, but I really wouldn't want to be within fifty feet of them =_=;;;
ACen 2013
Hunny Mitsukuni (Ouran), Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach), Conan Edogawa (Case Closed!), Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji), Haku Ha (Naruto), Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

2013 Cons: Anime Milwaukee, C2E2, Anime Central, Anime Midwest, Wizard's World, Kollision Con

#108 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

View Postkotomichi, on 04 April 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

To be honest, I think it's kind of sad that a girl would pretend to be a hardcore gamer just to get a guy.

...most guys who are hardcore gamers, no offense, but I really wouldn't want to be within fifty feet of them =_=;;;

There's nothing like rash generalizations to endear yourself to others.

...Not that I disagree with your rash generalization.

#109 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Anyone can be a fake anything. For every "fake" gamer that is female, there is also one "fake" that is male.

Regardless of gender, any one of any sex that manipulates another person into liking them by pretending to be something they are not is, in simplest terms, just sad. The fact that they cannot and do not see that their own personality (not what they're "expected" to be) should be enough iin and of itself s both sad and a tragic reflection of what our society deems "normal" in general. If you're a girl, you'll only "win" a guy if you're "hot" enough, and "cute"/"feminine" enough, are "sexy" enough, focus exclusively on your looks over your mind (brains are SOOO overrated!), and willing to change everything about yourself to win his affections. If you're a guy, you'll only win a girl if you are strong and well-muscled like He-Man, fierce and dominant and overtly "masculine", extremely sexist and misogynist (women LOVE being told to "get back to the kitchen!), and basically act like every guy on the internet, because if she STILL doesn't like you, well, then she's just a secret lesbian who doesn't know how awesome you are, duuuuh. Oh, not to mention the generation old stigma that subcultures can't seriously date other subcultures (goth x hipster, emo x hiphop, punk x prep? lolNOPE) unless it's exclusively brief to get laid. Yeah, we're kind a a f***ed up place (WE'RE THE HEROS!!!). :/

On another note, "fake" gamers may not necessarily be so much fake as much as new to gaming & overexcitedly titling themselves to (perhaps finally) fit into a/the crowd. Sure, perhaps some are only into gaming to attract others; those, then, were never "gamers" in the first place, but hens on parade, akin to a peacock strutting his feathers in the zoo. On the flip side, there are certain to be many who happen to enjoy video games but are by no means experts, and such may come off as "fake" when they are in fact inexperienced. To assume they are "fake" is to judge them as harshly as those who judge you for being interested in gaming or "being nerdy". To act on that assumption, to jump in to that pit, essentially turns you into the bully that once bullied you (or others you knew). Better to ask these people you consider "fakes" why they like gaming, what interests them, to find out who they are than it is to judge them and write them off. When one assumes, they really do indeed make an ASSume of themselves.

(TL;DR, remember the golden rule before bashing. that is all.)
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#110 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

the question is really, what makes someone a gamer? and it always diffent on who says it, most people in this thread act like being a gamer you must pass trails, like you must beat a final fantasy, a 2D zelda and 3 games from the 1980'S and it really just seem like we are some frat that must make people run trails to get into our eyes as gamers.

to me a gamer is someone that do gaming as a hobby, you must enjoy video games or even pen and paper, table top and board games, people offen forgot imo that D&D trading cards and wargamers like warhammer and any of the world war games also count. hell i think playing those games are mush cooler and more hardcore then any gamer who just sick to video games, there making time out of their week to meet up with other people at a place let it be a house or a hobby store, play for hours with uesing modals and their inmanagnaion. that really is balls, the tourny players are hardcore in their own rights too (expect hardcore tourny smash players but that's another day) but there is something about having agood group and playing a game like that really give a greater feeling then say beating a boss or getting a highscore.

but i am off on a trangent, but really if you play video games or any type of game like D&D, magic or warhammer, and you have set plans and time to play them and not just as something to pass the time waiting for a bus, then your a gamer.

as for people faking to be a gamer like girls or men to get friends or get laid, it really depand, they may just want or give away love juice, but on the other hand they really want to be a game but they have to start somewhere and they see a bunch posters for any of the "fratboy" games and think "maybe i should start with this" hell i played video games since 3 and hell i didn't play my first RPG final fantasy 7 untill i was 13, so about 2000, if i started playing video games now at my age with no idea of anything i would start with halo since i always see it plastered on tv shows and gamestop. it sad but if you show someone now to gaming say monster hunter or the metagame for pokemon, their be totaly lost.

-i rick bannon and it dosen't hurt a bit.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#111 User is offline   Neon Shadow 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60772

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

i have heard of a few girls like tht but i dont think it is enough to be a group

This post has been edited by Neon Shadow: 20 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

NeonShadow

#112 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 29 March 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

>list of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU--

>upon closer inspection: list of other games, too!

Oh. Well then, if I was wearing a hat I'd be tipping it off to you right now.

Spoiler

yes it was. XD . but honestly though . I think the percentage of fake girl gamers is pretty low because you really have to invest in that if you want to be with a guy gamer but ... then most guy gamers fall into the "nerd" category so does that mean that the stereotypical "hot gamer chick " wants to invest in all that to be with the "stereotypical nerd?" Besides what decent man would want to be with a fake girl gamer after the mask has come off and she' into nothing but painting her nails 24/7? <----generalizing here but you get what I mean .
ACen 2014 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3
100%
Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion 100%
Tidus 97%

#113 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

I agree with Linlin.
I also love Linlin because she can just type all of the words and I can just be like "Yeah, that."

YEAH.
THAT.
RANT ON.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#114 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostMasterHavik, on 04 April 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

There are fake guy gamer. You know what games they play. I get called gay for playing crap like FF, Sonic, Mortal Kombat, and etc.

from a outside view of a dumb jock i can see where their comming from with FF and sonic, but mortal kombat? one of the most conversral games on the market that mainstream gory game and is the reason why there is a ratting system in games? really have they ever seen a female in a mortal kombat game, even the monsters girls have great bodies.

This post has been edited by Visadin the insane: 20 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#115 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61869

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

some part of me feels like this thread should be in the chit-chat section.

I agree to some extent, because I personally know someone who I went to high school with who had this I'm-better-than-you attitude because mommy put her into pageants in the 5th grade. Two years after high school she met this guy who was "nerdy" and all of a sudden became "LYKOMG COMIC BOOKS R SO KEWL ROFFLCOPTER I PLAY MASS EFFEEECCTTT DEADPOOL IS MY NEW HUSBAND LOLOLOLOLOLCATS" (<-Not exaggerating)

I don't like to stereotype myself as a nerd, geek, gamer, w/e because I am not any one of those things. I enjoy playing video games, just as I enjoy keeping up with the latest fashion trends, or going balls to the wall in kick-box. Does that make me a fashionista? Or an athlete? Our personalities are very complex yet some of us are so desperate to attach ourselves to something that we can claim as our own. We become very territorial over that thing. Suddenly no one can be associated with the thing that YOU'RE associated with because well darn it, you liked it first!So surely their new fondness for it can't be as true as yours!!! [/endsarcasm]

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that these girls, guys, or whomevers are allowed to enjoy things just as much as the rest of us. Perhaps they feel they have to call themselves "gamers" for attention to make themselves feel better about their own insecurities. Leeching onto a brand helps people relate to others around them, or to impress them. They behave that way because they haven't found themselves yet and are trying to.

This post has been edited by Sarahlicious: 20 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

2012 C2E2/ACen/Wizard World Claire Redfield: RE Darkside Chronicles
2013 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lara Croft [Tomb Raider 2013]
2014 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lance Corporal Levi: Attack On Titan

#116 User is offline   Saint Pastel 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62038

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

oh geez, i could never give up video games-even if a guy was involved. My dad introduced me to video games young and ever since then it's like a part of my life now :)
(403): And then I told them, I was part cat, and they believed me.

#117 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 19314

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

I haven't really met any "fake" girl gamers. Maybe that's because I assume people like the things they do for a hobby because they like them and not that they get into comic books and video games to get male attention. There are definitely girls who like video games and also like male attention so they amp up their femininity, but I think it's unfair to call them "fake."

Obnoxious, sure.

I played WoW from 3 months after it came out up until the release of Cataclysm, hardcoring my way through WotLK, before that I played EQ and DAoC and EQ2, Chrono Trigger (just found it again for the DS, my life is so happy) and although I don't really care for many consoles (I would like them more if I could have a gaming TV right next to a real TV) I had my fun on Sega Dreamcast (Unreal Tournament and Phantasy Star were my favorites) and Gamecube (yay Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker).

Basically what I am trying to say is I've played many video games, both online and offline, and have never met anyone that I would consider "fake." I would rather give someone the benefit of the doubt, assuming they actually like what they spend hours doing, because if they didn't, then that's really, really sad.

And just because someone starts dating a nerd and suddenly loves comic books and video games doesn't mean they are fake. More than likely it means they were exposed to something new and they have come to find that they actually quite enjoy it.

Unless they are getting paid, I find it very hard to believe that someone is faking their enjoyment of a particular form of entertainment.

One last thing: Your mileage may vary, but I have found that nearly every person I've known of that discovers a new hobby or new thing that they like tends to be a bit fanatical about it for a while (anyway from hours to weeks to months to years, depending on how much there is to discover).

Rather than judging people new to our hobby (which has, for the longest time, been looked down upon and been a cause for bullying), why don't we give them the benefit of the doubt, assume they actually like it, and help them along? Recommend new titles, talk about fun games, etc. Of course they aren't going to be as good as veteran gamers or have played as many games - they just started for heaven's sake!

...one LAST last thing: there are people (men AND women) in every community that are needy and try to get attention. It doesn't mean they are fake, it just means... they like attention and will do whatever they can to get it. Regardless of their community.

Yeah.

I think that's all I wanted to say.
I love guinea pigs and cats and Sgt. Frog.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users