• You cannot reply to this topic

Fake Female Gamers Brilliant Social Discovery!!!111

#1 User is offline   Beserkiera 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 3482

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Okay, this topic is not about what you guys think it's about.

Lately, I've come across the special brand of female gamers that are fake in the worst way. Have you ever met a girl who is WAYYY too good to be true? She sits on XBOX all day, pwning newbs and being the hottest female in the world. You hang out at her house, talk about how there's not enough blood and gore in Gears of War and about how COD is SO yesterday.

Anyway, she reels you in like that and then eventually puts away her pink controller, starts roleplaying on random live journal forums and doesn't pay you any attention whatsoever. Worst of all....SHE'S STOPPED PLAYING GAMES!!!

But...her stuff is in your apartment, she's taken over your life, or if you're a complete moron YOU ACTUALLY MARRIED HER.

Have any of you ever come across this manipulative form of *hair flip* totally girl gamer WOW! ?

/rant

#2 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

That sounds like an extremely specific case to be an entire "brand of female"...
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#3 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

It all depends on the girl, I guess. Being a girl, I don't think I've ever really seen that. Then again, I'm sort of in a different category of "Gamer Chick" called a "Dice Nerd". That's right. Ye olden days of pensil and paper and dice. Where the only limit to the quests and monsters and adventures were the imagination of you, your party and your DM/GM/Storyteller. However, even there, the rule holds. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#4 User is offline   KeySmash 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 58635

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Yes, that does sound like a really specific case. I have many friends who are girls and boys that switch from XBOX to live journal and vise versa. I wouldn't go as far as to call them fake.
Cosplays 2014~
Yachiru "Retsu" Unohana (BLEACH)
Otohime (One Piece)
Katara: Southern Raiders (Avatar)

#5 User is offline   Beserkiera 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

What I'm saying is that there's a type of girl who pretends to be a gamer until she bags a guy. After getting together with him she starts to become less and less of a gamer until it turns out she was never one to begin with.

Yes, I am citing a specific case, obviously why I brought the issue up. However, I understand it has happened to a few people I know. I was just wondering if anyone had encountered a similar situation.

#6 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

I dunno. I've only been out of highschool a year, but I've seen a TON of these girls. They are too afraid to aim for the popular crowd, so they pretend to be "nerds" or whatever to become absolutely adored in those groups. They wear the clothes and buy the retro memorabilia, but if you actually sit them down, all they've ever done was watch their brother play Halo.

I'm actually shocked that people haven't come across this more!
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#7 User is offline   Professor_Hojo @_@ 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10054

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

This is an interesting phenomenon. I'll have to test them out by drilling them on the classics? I'll start off easy like "Name Mario's Brother" then step it up to naming the first game system then asking if they the last Atari system (Hell even talking about one that's not the 2600) and then about how awesome the Vectrex and Colecovision and Saturn are and eventually the trick questions like "Name a good Sonic game" (The correct answer being none) or naming the Zelda games that didn't produce some of the most hilarious cutscenes in gaming (Again none)
ACen '12 Cosplays!!: ??????????????????

Visit me on Facebook! Tumblr! Twitter! DeviantArt!

#8 User is offline   Beserkiera 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

Oh wow, you're fantastic. Thank you. Really, I've seen it before.

Funny though, when I applied to work at gamestop, they asked me similar questions.

Gamestop dude 1: Huhhhhh... girls don't play video games... durrrr
Gamestop dude 2: let's quiz her...huurr duurrrr
Me: lol blatant gender stereotyping

Needless to say, I answered all their questions and they still didn't give me the job. Meh, oh well. The conversations would have gotten boring anyway. I mean, how many variations of durr can I think of? I'M ONLY ONE WOMAN!

Disclaimer: I am not gender stereotyping on males, I just didn't like these two males in particular, they were complete slobs...but I felt I should post this considering how many of you love to argue on the internet. Whooo. :happybday:

#9 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

BUT.... Do you know it's really a FEMALE?!?!?!

http://wow-guides.on...rl-gamer-39750/
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#10 User is offline   Makoto Kino 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60034

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

I can't believe that link exists.....how sad/stereotypical!
~Cosplaying as Sailor Moon on friday, Yoruichi on Saturday and Sunday~

Look out for me!

#11 User is offline   Beserkiera 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:14 AM

ANNNNNNNND now you all understand!

#12 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

Funny, when I saw the thread title I thought it would be about MMORPGs. You know, Many Men Online Role-Playing as Girls.
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#13 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5452

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:43 AM

that site coloring is horrible! red type on a blue backround=eyesburn.

oh yeah the topic. I seriously thought that you meant guys who pose as girls in online games.
ACen 2013
Nami:: One Piece
Lucy: Fairy Tail
Gaige:: Borderlands 2

#14 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostKrystal, on 07 May 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

BUT.... Do you know it's really a FEMALE?!?!?!

http://wow-guides.on...rl-gamer-39750/

THAT TINY RED FONT! MY EYES!!! >< After reading those tips, I realize I'd probably fail at doing them. Does that mean I'm...an unsuccessful fake female? D: Anyways, I'm pretty sure I've bumped into females "faking" being gamers to fit in or what have you. I use the term "fake" really loosely though since I've been called a fake gamer because I prefer rhythm games or games that don't require me to shoot things. *shrug* Strangely enough, I've run into "fake" dude gamers. Had no idea they existed.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#15 User is offline   Beserkiera 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Guys playing as girls on MMORPGs is quite interesting. Something to think about is the term "identity tourism" which is the phenomenon where one takes on another identity and draws from the experience a false understanding of the hardships.

For example, a male playing a female might get more help on quests or free items from other players. However, he is only seeing a positive result of his actions and therefore gaining a misunderstanding and false sense of empathy. There was a case online where a male made up a female persona and marketed her as a prostitute. He got praise, wonderful comments and all the attention he could handle. However, the second anyone started harassing him he would simply ignore or block it.

Other guys just say they play a female because they don't want to stare at a dude FANNY all day.

But back on topic, beware of the fake female gamers. Not that any girl who flaunts her gaming doesn't make me rage.

Is that true for all girls? Do other girl gamers (or hardcore trolls) push your buttons? Maybe it's a territorial, primal instinct. :zombie:

#16 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

Don't really care about female gamers. Just a chick with a similar interest. I think it's silly that someone should think they need to fake any knowledge or interest in something like gaming, but whatever.

View PostBeserkiera, on 08 May 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Not that any girl who flaunts her gaming doesn't make me rage.

Not trying to start something, but why? Do dudes that flaunt the fact they're gamers make you rage too? :?
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#17 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

i know a +60 year old woman who's been playing following and playing the games in the FF franchise since it started it's release in the US as well as other games since thier release as well.

gamestop = arrogant ignorant losers whom peddle, wheel and deal crap video games whilst ripping you off at the same time.
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#18 User is offline   Beserkiera 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostTrini, on 08 May 2011 - 10:01 AM, said:

Not trying to start something, but why? Do dudes that flaunt the fact they're gamers make you rage too? :?

I think it's just the fact that some are more prone to bring it up for the sake of getting attention. Then again, I've probably done that from time to time so I really have no argument. xD

#19 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

View PostProfessor_Hojo @_@, on 07 May 2011 - 10:52 PM, said:

This is an interesting phenomenon. I'll have to test them out by drilling them on the classics? I'll start off easy like "Name Mario's Brother" then step it up to naming the first game system then asking if they the last Atari system (Hell even talking about one that's not the 2600) and then about how awesome the Vectrex and Colecovision and Saturn are and eventually the trick questions like "Name a good Sonic game" (The correct answer being none) or naming the Zelda games that didn't produce some of the most hilarious cutscenes in gaming (Again none)

I knew the Sonic answer!

This post has been edited by Krystal: 08 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

#20 User is offline   Pikachii 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59683

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

I have heard of these... they give girls who legitametly love gaming a bad name. I wouldn't sit there and call myself a Gamer Chick or Girl Gamer, I really enjoy playing but I also like doing other things instead of sitting infront of the computer Playing WoW or sitting on the 360.

I don't think girls/women shoul lie about their interests to get with a particular guy, your relationship is just going to end up failing because you are going to realize how little you actually have in common and become unhappy. Why is it so difficult for people to be honest with themselves and others?

Specifically with gaming- be up front with your interest level, how often and what and the like and I am pretty sure the man will show you other games you might like or suggest some you can play together. I think that is a much better way to start a relationship. ^-^
^-^

#21 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

It sucks that these women show their true selves only after so deep into a relationship.
(Why get into a meaningful relationship in the first place? :pirate: [bachelor pirate disapproves of monogamy] :pirate2: )
At least these women are making an effort to kiss up to you.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#22 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

I've definitely seen the girl who plays the I'm a gamer card. Then after a 5 minute conversation you find out the only games they've actually played is Kingdom Hearts or Pokemon. A few games does not make you a gamer...

On the flip side, I really dislike the gender stereotyping as well. Girls can be into video games and they can know their stuff. And hey guys, if you want that sweet gamer girlfriend, stop being creepy and/or putting them down at every turn. No she doesn't want to screw you and if you keep putting them down and treating girl gamers are a joke, they're not going to want to get/stay into gaming.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#23 User is offline   Beserkiera 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 08 May 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

I've definitely seen the girl who plays the I'm a gamer card. Then after a 5 minute conversation you find out the only games they've actually played is Kingdom Hearts or Pokemon. A few games does not make you a gamer...

On the flip side, I really dislike the gender stereotyping as well. Girls can be into video games and they can know their stuff. And hey guys, if you want that sweet gamer girlfriend, stop being creepy and/or putting them down at every turn. No she doesn't want to screw you and if you keep putting them down and treating girl gamers are a joke, they're not going to want to get/stay into gaming.

Exactly. While I hate the stereotyping, it does have its perks. For example, I'm looking to get into some form of video game writing and because I am a female, I've had a relatively easier time getting my foot in the door as opposed to my male counterparts.

Guess I'll take that and run with it.

#24 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

View PostBeserkiera, on 08 May 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

Exactly. While I hate the stereotyping, it does have its perks. For example, I'm looking to get into some form of video game writing and because I am a female, I've had a relatively easier time getting my foot in the door as opposed to my male counterparts.

Guess I'll take that and run with it.

Oh definitely. I know a few girls who have got jobs at Gamestop as well simply because they are girls. And its easier for them to keep their jobs because when they ask for preorders, guys just give them to her. So their numbers are great as well.

No shame in taking every advantage you can though. Good luck to you. Got a link to any of your work?
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#25 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

"Name a good Sonic game" (The correct answer being none)

Wow.. really? >__> smh.

Anyway going back to the topic. It sucks that girls fake their knowledge about games in order to impress guys. It's sad but it happens :/ I have many friends that pretend to be all into games, cult classics, comic books, etc. but they don't know anything about them really. [One of my ex-friends even pretends to like hentai. no joke..She uses it to try to get guys to like her.] They just buy the shirts, wear the hats and pretend. In fact... I believe that's the whole premise to Life as Liz.
It's a problem with girls that transcends just video games. When will we learn to just be ourselves and get a guy that likes us for that and NOT pretend we're into something we aren't? /sighhhh/
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#26 User is offline   Mansopp Longnose 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59988

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

what about girl gamers, who turn out to be bots?
Look for the Long Nose!
------------------------------------
2011 Cosplays:
Water 7 Usopp (OP), Water 7 & Thriller Bark Sogeking (OP), Julie Katou (KHR), President Version Laguna Loire (FF8), Kamina-King (OP/TTGL) (Hopefully)
http://www.facebook.com/srgisme Add me if you dare!

#27 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

LOL bot girl gamers.

I'm a girl gamer myself and I have to say whoever says that DDR isn't consider a game needs to play DDR and see how good they get on some extreme songs.

Or anything Classical by Banya.

I never met women like this but I met guys like this that only played two rpgs or just FPS and consider themselves gamers. So I guess it really depends on the situation.

I dislike Gamestop with a passion but...it's either buy video games there or deal with games going 'missing' from the post office/mail box/etc. (The post office near my house is closing in May and the closest one now is a good few miles away!)
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#28 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

View PostBeserkiera, on 07 May 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

Oh wow, you're fantastic. Thank you. Really, I've seen it before.

Funny though, when I applied to work at gamestop, they asked me similar questions.

Gamestop dude 1: Huhhhhh... girls don't play video games... durrrr
Gamestop dude 2: let's quiz her...huurr duurrrr
Me: lol blatant gender stereotyping

Needless to say, I answered all their questions and they still didn't give me the job. Meh, oh well. The conversations would have gotten boring anyway. I mean, how many variations of durr can I think of? I'M ONLY ONE WOMAN!

Heh, you would've actually enjoyed the GameStop by my house. The guys there know me and my husband by name (we've bought enough stuff there that one of the managers - also female - who used to work there would sometimes give us free trinkets), and they know for a fact that I'm a gamer - maybe not as much of a nerd as Jamie and a couple of our friends, but I do know enough to get by. Overall, they offer a lot of respect to women who come in, whether they're obviously non-gamers or not. (I think the only time I ever got any sexist comment out of a GS employee was when I was in a different store, and one of the guys there had car trouble. They were not only shocked when I said I had jumper cables in my car, but when I sheepishly added that I hadn't used them before, and therefore could use a lesson in using them, the manager said, "Well, you're a woman, that's no surprise." He did, however, retract that statement when he realized I actually had very good cables. XD)

Plus, since one of the guys at our store is an anime/manga nerd like us, too, I put a LOT of trust in them. We be bros :heart:
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#29 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 38289

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

It does suck that some females have to pretend to like games to get a guy's attention... or just seek attention in general. Makes me sadface and partly rageface because it makes OTHER women who actually do like games look bad.

I'm a girl who knows her stuff and I can say that I use "female gamer" because it's what I am. I'm not going to try to get around that fact, nor am I going to flaunt it obnoxiously.

2014 Cosplay Plans
Bioshock Infinite - Daisy Fitzroy (0% Completed)
Batman - Talia Al Gul (0% Completed)
Princess Peach: Military Style (0% Completed)

Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X, and Borderlands 2
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! HERE!!!
I <3 Friends Who Keep In Touch

#30 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

like "Name a good Sonic game" (The correct answer being Sonic Fan Remix Project)

While unsanctioned by Sega.. it still beats the pants off everything they've done.

As for the "lipstick lesbians" of the gaming world, you try and pull her back into games.. if she doesn't do it, tell her to knock it off.. then threaten to send her back to the factory for defunct settings.

Just kidding. But..I really dislike this.... I..don't know what the correct wording is.. category? of gaming...girl gamers, that is.

If you want to be taken seriously, don't let it be known you're a girl. Don't act like you want special treatment. Just whoop them down, THEN turn your mic on later.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users