• This topic is locked

Why are MOST cosplayers females?

#1 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59727

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

I'm just a bit curious why cosplayers are mostly women. (Note: that I'm not saying there are no men who cosplay and there are no male characters.) But when going to an anime convention I couldn't help but notice the female to male ratio is significantly different.

I tried to wrap my brain about it and thought it may have to do with artistic ability and the concept of dressing up. which in history is a female trait to dress up and not really males. I know at art colleges there are more females then males. And when there are males they're mostly gay.

But why is that? I'm having some trouble and is really curious. Open to any opinions.
Private Photo Shoots for 2011 ACen! CLICK HERE to sign up!

s t a l k m e
website / facebook / cosplay.com / deviantArt / twitter / youtube

#2 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

My opinion, it's because more women know how to sew and we are seen as being the more creative type. Also, as children, I think we played dress-up more than boys.

True about the art colleges too. I see a lot of "feminine" guys in the fashion design program.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#3 User is offline   audaciouska241 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 10462

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

Because we like to play dress up. :P I think it's a girly way of being nerdy. The best of both worlds in a way. *shrug*

#4 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

I enjoy dressing up, therefore I must be a girl...
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#5 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

I think it also has to do with the culture and with the fact that a lot of males in anime have female qualities so it's harder for a guy to play them in some cases. We normally think that boys shouldn't dress up or were outfits, so that sort of connects to their own thoughts on the matter and they don't do it that much. Also I think, oddly, females tend to make softer cosplays and because of our gentlier looks we can pull off characters that have a more elegant quality then some guys.

edit: Not saying that boys can't. Just that boys tend to have a harder time looking elegent in some cases, ie, they can pull off looking more rugged then some girls can.

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 02 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#6 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

I've noticed that this forum also has more women than men. Related?
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#7 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Oh snap, time to pull out the big guns.

- How was Eve created? That's right, from a man's rib.
- Who played women in plays back in the day? Men.
- Who does the Old Spice commercial? This guy.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen

#8 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

I think I might have found my answer guys. Tell me what you think!
( A notable pattern while observing at an anime convention is the female to male ratio. The body count of female is significantly greater then males. Why is this cosplaying community largely all women? Looking at the characteristics and attributes of cosplayers, one of the predominant traits is having an artistic background and wanting to involved with the art community. Because cosplay has such a high artistic concentration it attracts many women. The way parents in this generation raise their child plays a big role. The structure of a female brain is much different then a male's. The way females react to a dramatic situation is different then males. Females tend to get over emotional and are driven with emotions. Where as males solve problems with logic and facts. Art and writing are more emotional subjects that are fueled by emotions. Creativity is created by manipulating emotions and eliciting passion. This is why females tend to gravitate towards more creative fields such as humanities, studio art, and writing. Males are more attracted to logic and facts. Looking at fields like engineering and medicine most males dominate in those fields.

Aside from differing thought process, males and females grow up differently. Young females when in childhood play with toys and dress up. Where young males do not play dress up as it is an un masculine trait. The masculinity is a key trait and why men are more likely to not dress up in costume. However, in cosplaying there are significant amount of masculine male characters.

The fanbase is the most significant factor in the gender ratio. Anime and manga have different genres. Major genres are shojo, shonen, magical girl, yaoi, yuri, and mecha. Each genre has a specific fanbase and audience. Shojo, magical girl, yaoi, yuri are genres that focus on the passion of love and romance. Most of the animes and manga in this genre have a lot of relationships. The target audience are mainly females. Shonen and mecha are genres that are more action packed adventure shows. The fanbase for shonen and mecha are males but also females. Shonen and mecha are wildly love by females even though they may be catered for males to like more.

The reason why there are more females that cosplay is because of the fanbase. But not only is the fanbase a factor another key aspect is the way anime, manga, and video game characters are designed. Male characters are given feminine features such as heart shaped face, slender body, and petite body structure. Because most male characters in the anime world have such feminine features crossplaying is highly encouraged. Crossplaying is a term that refers to a person cosplaying their opposite gender. Females cosplaying males is a very encouraged practice and is very common seen at anime conventions. Women are able to get away and pull off a male character because males in the anime world look more female then male. It is an ongoing joke in the anime community that males are mistaken females a lot. )

This post has been edited by levelsixtyseven: 02 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

s t a l k m e

#9 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Well...a number of male anime fans I know think male anime characters tend to be "ewww GAY111" because they often have clear feminine sides, a pretty face, etc, and by Western standards that's not always entirely desirable (whereas in East Asia "pretty boys" are all the rage).
Rawr. ♥

#10 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

I think it's just that women are more willing to dress up. Personally I have fun just dressing up and getting ready in the hotel room, even before I act like the character.

Contrasted with my husband, he only has one cosplay (Nabeshin) that was put together at a thrift store. Sure he gets happy when people ask for his picture, but where he (and I think most men) shine at cons is the amount of information they can spout out. When we first started going out I learned a lot about video games that I didn't know. He can do the same thing with anime.

Not saying boys don't enjoy dressing up, or that girls know squat when it comes to knowledge about series, but I think they just have different strengths when it comes to conventions.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#11 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

View Postlevelsixtyseven, on 02 May 2011 - 10:52 AM, said:

I think I might have found my answer guys. Tell me what you think!
( A notable pattern while observing at an anime convention is the female to male ratio. The body count of female is significantly greater then males. Why is this cosplaying community largely all women? Looking at the characteristics and attributes of cosplayers, one of the predominant traits is having an artistic background and wanting to involved with the art community. Because cosplay has such a high artistic concentration it attracts many women. The way parents in this generation raise their child plays a big role. The structure of a female brain is much different then a male's. The way females react to a dramatic situation is different then males. Females tend to get over emotional and are driven with emotions. Where as males solve problems with logic and facts. Art and writing are more emotional subjects that are fueled by emotions. Creativity is created by manipulating emotions and eliciting passion. This is why females tend to gravitate towards more creative fields such as humanities, studio art, and writing. Males are more attracted to logic and facts. Looking at fields like engineering and medicine most males dominate in those fields.

Aside from differing thought process, males and females grow up differently. Young females when in childhood play with toys and dress up. Where young males do not play dress up as it is an un masculine trait. The masculinity is a key trait and why men are more likely to not dress up in costume. However, in cosplaying there are significant amount of masculine male characters.

The fanbase is the most significant factor in the gender ratio. Anime and manga have different genres. Major genres are shojo, shonen, magical girl, yaoi, yuri, and mecha. Each genre has a specific fanbase and audience. Shojo, magical girl, yaoi, yuri are genres that focus on the passion of love and romance. Most of the animes and manga in this genre have a lot of relationships. The target audience are mainly females. Shonen and mecha are genres that are more action packed adventure shows. The fanbase for shonen and mecha are males but also females. Shonen and mecha are wildly love by females even though they may be catered for males to like more.

The reason why there are more females that cosplay is because of the fanbase. But not only is the fanbase a factor another key aspect is the way anime, manga, and video game characters are designed. Male characters are given feminine features such as heart shaped face, slender body, and petite body structure. Because most male characters in the anime world have such feminine features crossplaying is highly encouraged. Crossplaying is a term that refers to a person cosplaying their opposite gender. Females cosplaying males is a very encouraged practice and is very common seen at anime conventions. Women are able to get away and pull off a male character because males in the anime world look more female then male. It is an ongoing joke in the anime community that males are mistaken females a lot. )

An awesome response I think, one things that caught my attention was that the males have female like features. This isn't true of comics where more guys tend to dress in costume at the convention because the male character have more "manly" attributes.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#12 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 02 May 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

An awesome response I think, one things that caught my attention was that the males have female like features. This isn't true of comics where more guys tend to dress in costume at the convention because the male character have more "manly" attributes.

There is definitely a BIG difference between male characters in Western graphic novels and manga. :lol:
Rawr. ♥

#13 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

View PostKokoro, on 02 May 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

There is definitely a BIG difference between male characters in Western graphic novels and manga. :lol:

I wonder if this has to do with influences in designs. I know that manga has a particular cinamographic style, where as western comics are more influenced by classic style of painting and drawing. The funny thing is that manga was once influenced by western animation and now things are blurred and shaped.

Pardon the Pause

#14 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 02 May 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

I wonder if this has to do with influences in designs. I know that manga has a particular cinamographic style, where as western comics are more influenced by classic style of painting and drawing. The funny thing is that manga was once influenced by western animation and now things are blurred and shaped.

Not only that, but also Western and Asian concepts of gender and hegemonic femininity/masculinity. We have different ideas as to what the ideal man/woman is, mentally and physically.
Rawr. ♥

#15 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Wow great observation Kokoro! Western comic style is very different then Far East manga style. And because of the different styles so are the character design. I will have to agree with your argument.

s t a l k m e

#16 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

Well my off-the-top-of-my-head answer is to look at the male to female ratio in the US. If I am correct, there are more females than males. Therefore it stands to reason that the ratio will be off simply because more females just so happen to exist. I'll apply research later when I'm not supposed to be doing HW
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#17 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

I've never really given it any thought lol, all I know is that I'm a guy and I like cosplaying.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#18 User is offline   TopHatShaw 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59305

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Yeah guys aren't creative. But I will be cosplaying this year for the first time. Lets just hope its not fail.
Anime Planet:
http://www.anime-pla...ers/FeelTheShaw

ACen 2014: Jecht from Final Fantasy X + Hard Gay Aikurou
Instagram: TopHatShaw <---Follow me =)

FACEBook: http://www.facebook.com/SGCosplay

#19 User is offline   SJAkarma22 

• Akwardly Insane
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59852

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostTopHatShaw, on 02 May 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yeah guys aren't creative. But I will be cosplaying this year for the first time. Lets just hope its not fail.

Guys can be creative, but I think it's due to so many girls being more the "sewing type" blah -_- but I think you'll find more dudes with the -it takes a lot of effort to make a cosplay and I'd rather do this (game/watch) than that attitude (this is my attitude too *Except i'm a girl so*). All you have to do is Multi-task
As long as there is Trust, there is Betrayal
I will lay at your feet while you rule the world

CONLIST:
ANIME CENTRAL April 27-29 2012-ANIME DETOUR June 30 -July 1 2012

#20 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

View PostSJAkarma22, on 02 May 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

Guys can be creative, but I think it's due to so many girls being more the "sewing type" blah -_- but I think you'll find more dudes with the -it takes a lot of effort to make a cosplay and I'd rather do this (game/watch) than that attitude (this is my attitude too *Except i'm a girl so*). All you have to do is Multi-task

I don't understand what you mean by a guy being creative. As if it's some sort of natural law that if a man can create, a woman can sew. I can sew and I'm creative so it must be a new thing.

Reading this sewing crap is starting to make me feel as if just because someone can do one thing, the other shouldn't be able to.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen

#21 User is offline   SJAkarma22 

• Akwardly Insane
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59852

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on 02 May 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

I don't understand what you mean by a guy being creative. As if it's some sort of natural law that if a man can create, a woman can sew. I can sew and I'm creative so it must be a new thing.

Reading this sewing crap is starting to make me feel as if just because someone can do one thing, the other shouldn't be able to.

yeah I knew that wasn't a very good way to put what I wanted to say, But the logic in my sentence is not supposed to work out the way you took it. I'm also not sure that I would be able to explain it in a way without sitting here making sure I have the correct words. My bad. Honestly thats not what I meant, seriously, quite the opposite.

take out the "Sewing crap" and put in creative then

This post has been edited by SJAkarma22: 02 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

As long as there is Trust, there is Betrayal
I will lay at your feet while you rule the world

CONLIST:
ANIME CENTRAL April 27-29 2012-ANIME DETOUR June 30 -July 1 2012

#22 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

I understand what you meant and I'm sure you can elaborate yourself properly if need be but the truth of the matter is that yes, there are more girl cosplayers than guys due to the options of crossplaying. I do not believe that it's a difference in skill or lack of motivation for either sex as one will have different interests than another. I also don't believe it has anything to do with cosplaying either. Some people enjoy going to take photos, see people in costume or doing whatever else there other than wearing a costume. When I've spoken to a few people here and other places, some have told me the only reason they'd ever wear a costume is so they "fit in and feel comfortable in the environment". There's a change in the theory of females being a majority of cosplayers.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen

#23 User is offline   *McManray* 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 26939

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

I know some men who enjoy cosplay, but for some I know that don't cosplay they don't because they cannot sew. Of course, you don't necessarily need to be able to sew to put together a decent cosplay. I don't think it's because they're less creative or anything because some of the best cosplayers I've seen have been male.
ACen 2014 // Dr. Krieger's Virtual Girlfriend
ACen 2011 // Utena Tenjou // Elsea de Lute Irma // Yuki Talho
ACen 2010 // Cécile Croomy // Ritsuko Akagi // Melfina
ACen 2009 // Officer Jenny
ACen 2008 // Speed Racer // Anju Maaka

#24 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9223

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

Just looking at my cosplaying friends there are just as many guys as girls. But a lot of those guys are more likely to dress casually (because they're working) or for business when they're at a convention. I don't know as many girls who are involved in running conventions, but even then they still try to cosplay a little if they can.
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group
Malory Archer w/ Archer group

(maybe)
Mabel Pines w/ Gravity Falls group
Fionna and Cake (regular and ballgown) w/ Ice Queen

#25 User is offline   PsychoNoble 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19345

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

ಠ_______ಠ
This thread is slightly offensive.

Nouseforaname! Thanks for putting a foot down for us males.

" The chaos is over. But I'm sure you too can see the dark clouds on the horizon - Enjoy this brief respite. "

#26 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

I also disagree with the thought that females are "more creative" than males. I am drawn (no pun intended) to creative, artistic people, and I haven't found there to be any connection between someone's gender and their creative ability. The main reason I think there are more female cosplayers (and I have seen a lot of males, too!) is because of what a few other people said, that girls are more used to dressing up than men are. Although, alternatively, I'd like to say that most of the people attending an anime convention have even a slight interest in art, or are at least a little creative themselves, so most of the guys that would take the time to attend an anime convention would also not have a problem with cosplaying at one. It's more a question of how comfortable you are with yourself to cosplay in front of a lot of strangers than it is what gender you are.
ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#27 User is offline   Devil Trigger Dante 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22124

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

View PostAiko☆Noble, on 03 May 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

I also disagree with the thought that females are "more creative" than males. I am drawn (no pun intended) to creative, artistic people, and I haven't found there to be any connection between someone's gender and their creative ability. The main reason I think there are more female cosplayers (and I have seen a lot of males, too!) is because of what a few other people said, that girls are more used to dressing up than men are. Although, alternatively, I'd like to say that most of the people attending an anime convention have even a slight interest in art, or are at least a little creative themselves, so most of the guys that would take the time to attend an anime convention would also not have a problem with cosplaying at one. It's more a question of how comfortable you are with yourself to cosplay in front of a lot of strangers than it is what gender you are.

I second this. I am a guy, and am very creative. Started cosplaying a few years ago and love doing it, from creating props, to armor, to yes, sewing.

That aside, I believe all the main reasons have been covered already

This post has been edited by Devil Trigger Dante: 03 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

Visionary Devil May Cry cosplayer

In a time, long since past in an age of darkness, when the Earth was overrun with demons and humans were powerless under their rule humanity's hope lived in a demon, named Sparda. With a spirit unlike any other, and wielding the sword that bore his own name, Sparda eradicated the demons. And now the Legend of Sparda, has been inherited, by his son the demon slayer...Dante

#28 User is offline   delial 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59936

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

o.O i...never noticed the ratio O.o hm
Uso Mitai na I Love You

#29 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

also the factor that there is a pretty steady rise in females getting into anime and games. if i knew how to sew maybe id make my own cosplays a little more...i might just pick it up someday though
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#30 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

There are actually more women in the world than guys. There was some scientific reason behind that. I found that..shocking.

Besides that, mostly depends on options, the fandom, and what area.

Like say if you go to a place that Hetalia is popular yeah you are going to see a lot of girls, but if you go to an area that it's mostly guys to girls or where the women mostly go to raves instead of cosplay then you will most likely find more guys than girls.

It's not because one sex is less lazy than the other or one sex has more money than the other or one sex mostly go to cons to pick up chicks or any crazy reason like that.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users