Anime Central Forums: Zelda Ocarina of Time....Limited Release - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Zelda Ocarina of Time....Limited Release ....Really Nintendo?

#1 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2749

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

Nintendo: We R smrt!

So rumor has it(not confirmed but sounds likely) That nintendo will be limiting the release of Ocarina of Time 3D, the 3DS remake of the most popular Zelda game of all time. Nintendo will be sending out small quantities to all retailers, and won't be accepting larger orders from anyone. Why? Well because Spirit Tracks didn't sell well...and clearly Spirit Tracks and Ocarina of Time are on the same level right? Now this so far seems to be only for Japan, so we will have to see if Nintendo of America takes a similar strategy. Either way...sounds about as smart as making a console based solely around dodgy motion controls and allowing all types of shovelware to overtake your console forcing your profits to drop 66% and...oh wait. >_>

View PostFlyingElf, on Apr 21 2007, 10:26 PM, said:

Reactor doesnt' count as a con. Reactor is an experiment in how bad a group of otaku can destroy a hotel given 3 days...

#2 User is offline   AshBird 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 14799

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Seems like a logical move on Nintendo's part, but maybe not the best. Japanese retailers have gotten into the habit of grossly overstocking games and as a result, these games get strong discounts within a few weeks. It happened to Dragon Quest IX, the latest game from the biggest franchise in Japan, so this is a valid concern for Nintendo. I just hope they get the numbers right and not have it grossly understocked.
My tongue moved, a swung relaxing hinge.
I said to her, 'What will become of us?'
And as forgotten water in a well might shake
At an explosion under morning

Or a crack run up a gable,
She began to speak.
'I think our very form is bound to change.
Dogs in siege. Saurian relapses. Pismires."

- from Seamus Heaney's "Sibyl", part two of "Triptych"

#3 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

View PostAshBird, on 02 May 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

Seems like a logical move on Nintendo's part, but maybe not the best. Japanese retailers have gotten into the habit of grossly overstocking games and as a result, these games get strong discounts within a few weeks. It happened to Dragon Quest IX, the latest game from the biggest franchise in Japan, so this is a valid concern for Nintendo. I just hope they get the numbers right and not have it grossly understocked.

I think that speaks mroe for the Japanese retail market and less a problem on the devs part. Though I don't see how stores overstocking themselves hurts the developer much other than they're extra spending to ship out more games(which doesn't cost that much really)

Reactor doesnt' count as a con. Reactor is an experiment in how bad a group of otaku can destroy a hotel given 3 days...

#4 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

You can't do this on a new system that isn't selling as well as expected. OoT would be one of the few games that could bring some new people into the 3DS fold, and you want to make it limited release, taking it off the shelf for who knows how many potential system buyers? In Japan it's one thing, because they've got enough on their hands right now, but this is the kind of thing that could just blow up in Nintendo's faces in America.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#5 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

View Postwrexness, on 02 May 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

You can't do this on a new system that isn't selling as well as expected. OoT would be one of the few games that could bring some new people into the 3DS fold, and you want to make it limited release, taking it off the shelf for who knows how many potential system buyers? In Japan it's one thing, because they've got enough on their hands right now, but this is the kind of thing that could just blow up in Nintendo's faces in America.

Yeah, Nintendo of America may not take this tactic and will just take the overexposure "risk." The 3DS has really underperformed what Nintendo wanted it to do, so I can only think they are looking for Zelda to recoup some of the sales they didn't manage to get at launch.

#6 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:37 AM

it a rumor, just pointing that out. also this seem to be a japan thing and not a everywhere else.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#7 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

Right away I thought this was for Master Quest but realized no one's that slow to post anything that old. Personally, I wouldn't buy it. I'm a big Zelda fan too but I don't even have a DS to play any of the current Zelda games.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#8 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

View Postnouseforaname, on 02 May 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

Right away I thought this was for Master Quest but realized no one's that slow to post anything that old. Personally, I wouldn't buy it. I'm a big Zelda fan too but I don't even have a DS to play any of the current Zelda games.

Don't feel bad, most people don't have a 3DS and for good reason.

#9 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

I don't feel bad at all. It's not a priority to me to own a DS. Once I start a game, for example a Zelda game, I don't sleep, I don't eat right, I don't do anything productive. My cousin was playing Ocarina of Time yesterday on the Wii and his older brother brought up how I should start back up on Twilight Princess. I didn't even "start" the game. I put it down after I got stuck in the first dungeon with the monkeys. That's the only Zelda game I haven't finished and have no clue how the story goes. Funny thing is I have the thick guide for it too.

I like waking up in the morning, not staying up until the afternoon. But I will start that game back up eventually.

And this 3D version is exactly what that comment says on the site - Just to sell systems. It's a classic game but most of the time the original is better than the remake, even if it's the same story. I'm sure people will play it and be like "whoa, didn't see that comming...again." Plus my friend told me the 3DS gave him a headache after playing it for a few minutes. Any system that does that isn't worth the money, time or impressive graphics.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen

#10 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

isn't this thread kind of overblown, people are more defending sony for the PSN debunkle then this rumor.

also tp does start off slow, the latter dungeons are petty good like the sky temple.

also the "really low" sales are you keep saying is 3.6 out of 4 million.

This post has been edited by Visadin the insane: 02 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

#11 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 02 May 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

isn't this thread kind of overblown, people are more defending sony for the PSN debunkle then this rumor.

also tp does start off slow, the latter dungeons are petty good like the sky temple.

For one, as you yourself stated, this is a rumor, unlike the PSN hack which is very very real. Second, Sony was not totally responsible for the fact that they got hacked(since really anyone can be hacked, even the US government) but Nintendo withholding stock of a game that will literally make or break their new handheld is ENTIRELY in their hands

#12 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

View PostFullmetalcrusade, on 02 May 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

For one, as you yourself stated, this is a rumor, unlike the PSN hack which is very very real. Second, Sony was not totally responsible for the fact that they got hacked(since really anyone can be hacked, even the US government) but Nintendo withholding stock of a game that will literally make or break their new handheld is ENTIRELY in their hands

and if it sells they will refurbish stock, and i agree with ashbird it logical but may not be the best idea.

also about the last of sales of the 3DS the 3DS also launched in a low buying season and it didn't launch with full online mode like a shop channal which is comming this month, even if i had money i would wait for the shop channel to come out to feel like i brought a complete console. also intel launches isn't something we should gage the furture of the system on, the PS2, DS, PSP, and xbox 360 was consoles that started off slow in terms of sales or games, hell when the 360 came out people where saying the games looked like ps2 games, there was also issues with non hdtvplayers can't read texts. the DS started off slow until the summer where they got metos and Phoenix wright. PSP was a system that was always low on meny listbut it sold 66 million worldwide which is a good amount of systems. launches have always been meaningless for a long time.

i say wait for E3 or christmas.

This post has been edited by Visadin the insane: 02 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

#13 User is offline   AshBird 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

View PostFullmetalcrusade, on 02 May 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

I think that speaks mroe for the Japanese retail market and less a problem on the devs part. Though I don't see how stores overstocking themselves hurts the developer much other than they're extra spending to ship out more games(which doesn't cost that much really)

The major issue is that companies like Nintendo don't want their inventory sold in one large burst. When they release their reports for the fiscal year, if Nintendo can't show long term sales of an important franchise, they have to show losses. This is a huge blow financially and is far more detrimental to the company on the long term than a short term sale of a single product. Nintendo needs sustained sales of one of their largest franchises for investment reasons. That's a huge factor in releasing any product commercially. Having sales to wholesalers come to a halt in a month or two because retailers have overstocked themselves is a major a concern and not something a company like Nintendo will just accept. The wholesale issue is slightly different than it would be in the states. In Japan, many wholesalers make it policy to buy back stock. This means product will move back up the ladder and prevent Nintendo from selling down.

There's also an issue when production is concerned. Large sales to retailers will mean that Nintendo will need to manufacture more copies to sell to wholesalers. If sales of the game plateau because of overstocking and copies start to make their way back to wholesalers, then Nintendo may be left with a larger stock of the game than they will want and in an attempt to recoup losses, they have to lower prices and cut into their profit margin. Conversely, if they anticipated a plateau in sales in the retail market and this doesn't come, Nintendo could lose in potential sales. Either way, Nintendo would have to report losses on their books and suffer a loss in investor confidence because of poor speculations.

Another issue is image. In Japan, company image is a much bigger thing than it is here. Companies go to great length to improve their image constantly and subsequently go to great lengths to insure that their image isn't harmed. To use Dragon Quest IX as an example again, when images of the game in bargain bins started to float around, Square Enix felt a loss in investment even though Dragon Quest IX sold fantastically. Nintendo, a company that has seen their image harmed in recent times, will more than likely do everything they can to keep their image from spiraling down more and more.

She began to speak.

#14 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

Ashbird: I thought SE lost a lot of money because of the lack of FF13 as well as it's online game FF14 in terms of sales? FF13 bombed badly in Japan to the point that they are selling the game for 10 dollars now and it barely came out.

I'm kinda sad that Nintendo has to use re releases to make money. A lot of the 3DS lineup are just re releases of games. The brought back Shin Megami, Zelda, Street fighter, and many others just for this system alone, with not a lot of extras.

This isn't going to make me want to buy a 3DS any quicker though.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 05 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#15 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

It's easily one of the most talked-about (and overrated) games of all time, in the US. No doubt this is a Japan-only marketing strategy. OoT prints money over here, and drooling fanboys will buy it again no matter how many times it's ported and/or remade.
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#16 User is offline   AshBird 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 05 May 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

Ashbird: I thought SE lost a lot of money because of the lack of FF13 as well as it's online game FF14 in terms of sales? FF13 bombed badly in Japan to the point that they are selling the game for 10 dollars now and it barely came out.

Final Fantasy XIII sold well in Japan actually. It was only slightly under the sales of XII and X. It did fall victim to the overstocking problems though. The reports that XIII failed in Japan were because it hit the bargain bin quickly. For Square, XIII was a success sales wise. Given how it failed critically, the sales were still great. Problem for Square is that the initial shipments of the game still hasn't sold out apparently.

Final Fantasy XIV has been a disaster in every way though. Square expected to make their money back on subscriptions, but to my knowledge, subscriptions are still free.

She began to speak.

#17 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

meh, not a big problem; they'll get more shipments once the initial one sells out (and it WILL, this is OoT after all).
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#18 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

Why does it matter? They've brought out the OOT for every system past the 64. If you haven't played it by now something is wrong with you. Plus how does it help the 3ds line up to pay 40 (or more) for a game you've literally already played more then once. So you can carry it around with you? Not exactly a strong selling point for retailers to try and sell a game everyone knows like the back of their hand. I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. In fact it's smart for them because if more people are thinking like me they wont spend their money for that game so they shouldn't expect alot of sales from it.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#19 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 06 May 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

Why does it matter? They've brought out the OOT for every system past the 64. If you haven't played it by now something is wrong with you. Plus how does it help the 3ds line up to pay 40 (or more) for a game you've literally already played more then once. So you can carry it around with you? Not exactly a strong selling point for retailers to try and sell a game everyone knows like the back of their hand. I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. In fact it's smart for them because if more people are thinking like me they wont spend their money for that game so they shouldn't expect alot of sales from it.

OOT is Nintendo's killer app for 3DS for the remainder of the year, they are counting on it to boost and carry the system well into next year when some more 3rd party titles start releasing. You're right, OOT has been ported a few times, doesn't change the fact that it's one of the most popular and highest selling games of all time. In fact, the only game that could be remade and make a higher profit than OOT at this point would be Final Fantasy VII.

#20 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 06 May 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

Why does it matter? They've brought out the OOT for every system past the 64.
Every system? You mean a limited-edition promo disc for Gamecube that people got for pre-ordering Wind Waker or something? And maybe the Virtual Console? I guess that would be "every system" if you really want to be technical. It's a cash-cow game, deal with it.

If you haven't played it by now something is wrong with you.
Hey, I didn't play Super Metroid (a far superior game, IMO) until I was 24 or 25. Never too old to start.

Plus how does it help the 3ds line up to pay 40 (or more) for a game you've literally already played more then once.
Fully remade with near-Gamecube-level visuals, added content, etc... Yeah, it's exactly the same game, totally... :rolleyes:

So you can carry it around with you? Not exactly a strong selling point for retailers to try and sell a game everyone knows like the back of their hand.
Yeah, I really should get rid of my Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles and Gradius Collection for PSP. How DARE people wanting to carry some of their favorite games with them, especially if they're graphically revamped with added content like OoT! HOW DARE THEY!!

In fact
**in opinion,

it's smart for them because if more people are thinking like me they wont spend their money for that game so they shouldn't expect alot of sales from it.
Maybe in Japan. They have a very different market from our own. Heck, Final Fantasy VIII-- considered by most US fans as the black sheep of the series-- was their highest-rated, best-selling FF for nearly a decade.

Seriously. I didn't even like OoT that much. But I'm not going to lie to myself and say "this game won't print money in the US." After how many Zelda fans cried and moaned that every Zelda since OoT wasn't OoT? If you have a brain that's capable of basic thought processes, you'll see that OoT will sell like hotcakes yet again and likely push 3DS's off the shelves.

#21 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 02 May 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

That's how most Zelda games are, to me at least. I'll probably start back up in a week or so, maybe after acen.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen

#22 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

View PostSir Viver, on 07 May 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

Every system? You mean a limited-edition promo disc for Gamecube that people got for pre-ordering Wind Waker or something? And maybe the Virtual Console? I guess that would be "every system" if you really want to be technical. It's a cash-cow game, deal with it.Hey, I didn't play Super Metroid (a far superior game, IMO) until I was 24 or 25. Never too old to start.Fully remade with near-Gamecube-level visuals, added content, etc... Yeah, it's exactly the same game, totally... :rolleyes: Yeah, I really should get rid of my Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles and Gradius Collection for PSP. How DARE people wanting to carry some of their favorite games with them, especially if they're graphically revamped with added content like OoT! HOW DARE THEY!! **in opinion, Maybe in Japan. They have a very different market from our own. Heck, Final Fantasy VIII-- considered by most US fans as the black sheep of the series-- was their highest-rated, best-selling FF for nearly a decade.

Seriously. I didn't even like OoT that much. But I'm not going to lie to myself and say "this game won't print money in the US." After how many Zelda fans cried and moaned that every Zelda since OoT wasn't OoT? If you have a brain that's capable of basic thought processes, you'll see that OoT will sell like hotcakes yet again and likely push 3DS's off the shelves.

It's also on the nintendo shop so you can buy it for your wii as well, It's not just for the gamecube. And yes It is exactly the same game. The people that very nice lady that all the other zeldas are not OOT are the exact kind of cancer killing the gaming industry. Because now nintendo says, "hey guys, why actually work to make a new game when we can just keep making the same game since the 64? Brilliant" It's the same reason why COD keeps making the same game and charging super high prices for 5 maps to download. The fans don't know any better. Yes, OOT was a fun a great game. But it's time to do something new. And if OOT is suppose to be the "killer" game for the 3ds the rest of the year that even makes it a weaker system to me.
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui

#23 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 08 May 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

It's also on the nintendo shop so you can buy it for your wii as well, It's not just for the gamecube.
I did just say "Virtual Console," didn't I?

And yes It is exactly the same game.
Are you talking about the VC port or the DS remake? Since a remake isn't the same thing as a port (a port without added content = the same game). Also are we taking the Master Quest version on the Gamecube disc into consideration?

The people that very nice lady that all the other zeldas are not OOT are the exact kind of cancer killing the gaming industry.
I personally enjoyed Twilight Princess more. That's not to say that I particularly like Twilight Princess (I honestly enjoyed Okami much more, while on the subject of Zelda-like games)

Because now nintendo says, "hey guys, why actually work to make a new game when we can just keep making the same game since the 64? Brilliant"
From a marketing standpoint, it's a wise decision to milk the cash cow. Hey, how about we say Dynasty Warriors series and Gran Turismo series are all the same game? Since from a gameplay standpoint (not taking graphics into consideration, nor gameplay tweaks, nor added content, since you aren't) they're all the same game, too.

It's the same reason why COD keeps making the same game and charging super high prices for 5 maps to download.
You heard it here first, COD makes games. And here I was thinking they were by Infinity Ward and Treyarch. Silly me.

The fans don't know any better. Yes, OOT was a fun a great game. But it's time to do something new.
Guess they should stop making Zelda games, since every time they try something new it bites them in the arse (A lot of people didn't like Spirit Tracks, or Wind Waker's cel-shaded "kiddy" style, never mind that WW was a great departure from the standard formula IMO, despite horrible amounts of sailing)

And if OOT is suppose to be the "killer" game for the 3ds the rest of the year that even makes it a weaker system to me.
Yeah, I bet you wouldn't think a FF7 remake would be the "killer" game for PS3, right? ITT, double standards. Unless I'm wrong and you wouldn't be so excited about a FF7 remake. (I'd honestly play it if the remake fixed all of the problems with the PS1 original, including character development, storytelling, and Materia exploitation. ...and W-Item exploitation. ...and "This guy are sick.")

Good lord. I don't even like OoT and here I am playing Devil's advocate. (From an objective standpoint, I can see it as a great game, perhaps even a classic; it's my personal nitpicking that keeps me from enjoying it. ..friggin Navi..) Meanwhile, you say you like the game, but don't want a much-deserved graphical redux with added content, improved archery controls, etc...? Jeebus, man, this is bass-awkwards. I think some people just like to complain. ...never thought I'd be the one saying that.

To help this thread regain tranquility, smooth jazz will be deployed in 3... 2... 1. (smooth jazz)

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 08 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

#24 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 08 May 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

I did just say "Virtual Console," didn't I? Are you talking about the VC port or the DS remake? Since a remake isn't the same thing as a port (a port without added content = the same game). Also are we taking the Master Quest version on the Gamecube disc into consideration?I personally enjoyed Twilight Princess more. That's not to say that I particularly like Twilight Princess (I honestly enjoyed Okami much more, while on the subject of Zelda-like games) From a marketing standpoint, it's a wise decision to milk the cash cow. Hey, how about we say Dynasty Warriors series and Gran Turismo series are all the same game? Since from a gameplay standpoint (not taking graphics into consideration, nor gameplay tweaks, nor added content, since you aren't) they're all the same game, too. You heard it here first, COD makes games. And here I was thinking they were by Infinity Ward and Treyarch. Silly me. Guess they should stop making Zelda games, since every time they try something new it bites them in the arse (A lot of people didn't like Spirit Tracks, or Wind Waker's cel-shaded "kiddy" style, never mind that WW was a great departure from the standard formula IMO, despite horrible amounts of sailing) Yeah, I bet you wouldn't think a FF7 remake would be the "killer" game for PS3, right? ITT, double standards. Unless I'm wrong and you wouldn't be so excited about a FF7 remake. (I'd honestly play it if the remake fixed all of the problems with the PS1 original, including character development, storytelling, and Materia exploitation. ...and W-Item exploitation. ...and "This guy are sick.")

Good lord. I don't even like OoT and here I am playing Devil's advocate. (From an objective standpoint, I can see it as a great game, perhaps even a classic; it's my personal nitpicking that keeps me from enjoying it. ..friggin Navi..) Meanwhile, you say you like the game, but don't want a much-deserved graphical redux with added content, improved archery controls, etc...? Jeebus, man, this is bass-awkwards. I think some people just like to complain. ...never thought I'd be the one saying that.

To help this thread regain tranquility, smooth jazz will be deployed in 3... 2... 1. (smooth jazz)

Oh for the love of god. If you can't find a good argument for a certian point, don't put my freaking misqoutes in order. You know what I meant. I meant COD as a series not the individual deveoplers. And yes I would not play a FFVII remake. Squareenix has been whoreing that out for years and I'm sick of it. And yes, it is a good marketing stragity, i'm just saying it doesn't HELP the industry as a whole to keep making the same stuff over and over. And yes, while I enjoy playing Dynasty warriors I have yet to purchase one since DW 4 on my ps2 because they all are basically the same game. (although Gundam DW was a fun time twist on the series)

This post has been edited by Dark Stranger: 08 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

#25 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:25 AM

Then either QQ more about the first fully-fledged remake of OoT, or find another thread to rile up.

#26 User is offline   mendokuse 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 3415

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:05 AM

Really? All of a sudden this thread got some seriously long posts (tl;dr). I just wanted a nice morning of some easy reading. :D
I have several versions of Ocarina of Time. I said no to this one. First, I don't have a 3DS. Second, it doesn't suit my current game time playing style. I'm not playing this on the way to school or in between classes. I go to work, I go home. So, I can only play at home. Besides, even if the rumors are true, I'm a patient guy (PSN is down? When did that happen? :lol: ). If you want it, get it. If you feel your money should go somewhere else, so be it.

#27 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

View PostAshBird, on 05 May 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

Final Fantasy XIII sold well in Japan actually. It was only slightly under the sales of XII and X. It did fall victim to the overstocking problems though. The reports that XIII failed in Japan were because it hit the bargain bin quickly. For Square, XIII was a success sales wise. Given how it failed critically, the sales were still great. Problem for Square is that the initial shipments of the game still hasn't sold out apparently.

Final Fantasy XIV has been a disaster in every way though. Square expected to make their money back on subscriptions, but to my knowledge, subscriptions are still free.

FF13 in Japan or USA or both? I heard both bombed big time since they excepted 13 to sell better than 12 and 10.

Dunno about FFX because people are still buying copies of that game to this day.

Wondering because I read two articles recently about FF13 unexpected sales on Sankaku news and it wasn't just bias. I was kinda shocked but I heard a lot of people say they didn't like FF13 compared to the other games and it's a hit or miss game, so that's why I thought their sales bombed. I personally don't have that issue and have the game to this day.

I have to agree on Viver; if anything blame the people who buy the cash cow games instead of the people who make them. If they didn't waste their cash on them then they wouldn't keep doing that. Like....Zelda or Pokemon. I happen to like Pokemon but many of the new pokemon games are just a few new pokemon and a few new graphics.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#28 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

View Postmendokuse, on 09 May 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

Really? All of a sudden this thread got some seriously long posts (tl;dr). I just wanted a nice morning of some easy reading. :D
I have several versions of Ocarina of Time. I said no to this one. First, I don't have a 3DS. Second, it doesn't suit my current game time playing style. I'm not playing this on the way to school or in between classes. I go to work, I go home. So, I can only play at home. Besides, even if the rumors are true, I'm a patient guy (PSN is down? When did that happen? :lol: ). If you want it, get it. If you feel your money should go somewhere else, so be it.

I'm with you on this one... o.o; Was not expecting things to get so serious(ly biased.. xD)..

Anywho, in short, despite reading everything, I don't see this really aiding with the sales of the 3DS as Nintendo expects... While the fanbase for OoT here is ridiculously high, I can't imagine purchasing a system for the sake of a single game.. which isn't even a standalone game in itself. I understand that this won't just be another port, but can you really put all your faith into this one cashcow? With the example of FFVII.. I love FFVII, love love love it, grew up with it, bought it I don't know how many times, and gave in to the hype over and over again (Advent Children and complete.. and I know how awful they are!).. but is that enough to make me spend practically $300 on a system and remake of the game, with improved graphics and features, added content and all? Hell to the no. So honestly, I feel that a limited release might just be the right decision.. When it comes to OoT, while of course there are die-hard fans who will give into this marketing scheme, there are just as many who embrace the hype, but may not find this new release worth cashing out so much. I consider myself one. I already own the original and two ports for a minimal fee. I love OoT and I know this is something new, but not even fully-fledged remake is worth $290 and an instantaneous headache, my opinion.

ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#29 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

View PostPashy-chan, on 09 May 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'm with you on this one... o.o; Was not expecting things to get so serious(ly biased.. xD)..

Anywho, in short, despite reading everything, I don't see this really aiding with the sales of the 3DS as Nintendo expects... While the fanbase for OoT here is ridiculously high, I can't imagine purchasing a system for the sake of a single game.. which isn't even a standalone game in itself. I understand that this won't just be another port, but can you really put all your faith into this one cashcow? With the example of FFVII.. I love FFVII, love love love it, grew up with it, bought it I don't know how many times, and gave in to the hype over and over again (Advent Children and complete.. and I know how awful they are!).. but is that enough to make me spend practically $300 on a system and remake of the game, with improved graphics and features, added content and all? Hell to the no. So honestly, I feel that a limited release might just be the right decision.. When it comes to OoT, while of course there are die-hard fans who will give into this marketing scheme, there are just as many who embrace the hype, but may not find this new release worth cashing out so much. I consider myself one. I already own the original and two ports for a minimal fee. I love OoT and I know this is something new, but not even fully-fledged remake is worth $290 and an instantaneous headache, my opinion.

Yes, Nintendo is absolutely planning on this game boosting the otherwise weak sales of the system, and they are expecting it to carry them through to next year. Nintendo fanboys will argue that there are other big games for the 3DS, but none of those games are system sellers. I think it will for sure boost the sales initially, but once all the fanboys have bought it and drooled all over it, the sales will decline again and 3DS will be right back to where it is now until the Holiday season when it sees it's first legitimate sales boom. However, I don't think the 3DS will ever reach the sales success that the DS Lite had.

#30 User is offline   AshBird 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 09 May 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

FF13 in Japan or USA or both? I heard both bombed big time since they excepted 13 to sell better than 12 and 10.

I was referring to Japan, but the the game still sold wonderfully over here. It didn't outsell X or XII, but XIII didn't undersell by to much. The game made Square a ton of money one way or another. It probably wasn't as successful as they hoped, but after the critics tore into the game, the sales must have put large smiles of Square's executives faces.

Most reports that came out about XIII's poor sales were inspired by the speed of which the game made it into the bargain bins. In the past, this was a good way to judge a game's sales before the sales figures were released, Final Fantasy XIII came out around the start of retailers overstocking games so the usual test for sales figures was no longer accurate.

View PostPashy-chan, on 09 May 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

I don't see this really aiding with the sales of the 3DS as Nintendo expects...

Typically speaking companies don't use games to sell systems, they use systems to sell games. While I haven't seen production costs for the 3DS, Nintendo probably isn't making much profit off of a system's sale. This was true for the original DS and is true for most video game systems (especially true for the original PS3 which was sold for a loss to Sony). Nintendo makes their profit on the game sales. That's where the bulk of their money comes from. Using this game to sell the 3DS is definitely what Nintendo wants, but the main reason for the game's release is the profit they get off of the game's sales. This is why we get a lot of remakes and ports instead of brand new games. The production cost in creating a port or a remake is going to be much lower than a brand new game. Nintendo can't expect OoT to sell terrifically. It's a way for them to make quick money and give them a boost in the 3DS sales figures as well.

She began to speak.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users