Anime Central Forums: The 2011 Costume & Prop Checklist - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The 2011 Costume & Prop Checklist Is YOUR Prop Ready?

#61 User is offline   Radicallay 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 42983

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Just hear me out before I have to go out and buy more materials to alter my bow. Why does it have to be unstrung? I'm not using any real arrows with it, and I don't know how a bow with strings on it could be not allowed while a bat is. Sorry if I'm coming out a total jerk. I just don't want to go and spend more money then I already have on a prop rule I dont understand. :( sorry again

#62 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Because you could fire other things from it. And bats are not projectiles. The rule is quite simple "If it has the ability to shoot something then it is not allowed."
All systems... GO!

#63 User is offline   Radicallay 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 42983

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

cool. thanks. I got it.

#64 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Agh, I hope I'm not too late, but you can have a loosely strung bow as well, which essentially means a bow during too loose to nock and fire from it. Either way, you won't get enough tension to bend the bow back.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#65 User is offline   xMelloCat 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 43597

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Okay. So I'm assuming this gun look too realistic from a distance. It is a BB-gun; it will not be loaded when brought to the convention. Assuming it is NOT allowed because they are black, would it be preferred and a lot more acceptable if it are painted silver? If plain silver is still unacceptable, would adding a subtle mint-green tone work better? Thanks. Pictures below. The side of it also clearly says "MADE IN CHINA."
Spoiler

#66 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

That looks way too realistic, unfortunately...my worry is that from a distance one may not be able to see "Made in China" or distinguish the minty-green tone in paint. You could try it and bring it to the prop check table, but my instincts are saying no.

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 25 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#67 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I'm not IRT, but I'm worried that your gun might cause me to get a speeding ticket.

Spoiler

There is a slight flaw in my character.

#68 User is offline   xMelloCat 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hello again I fixed these guns up and painted them a grey. If this is not acceptable, I can add a mint green to it. What do you think?
Spoiler

This post has been edited by xMelloCat: 25 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

#69 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

You could try a mint-green tint, however, the gun's shape is still very realistic. I'm sorry to have this come up this late in the game...
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#70 User is offline   xMelloCat 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

That's alright! I'll keep pushing through until I get the OKAY though.
So here is one side with the mint-green and the other with a nice orange line. If this is still rejected, I will paint the side with the orange bit ENTIRELY orange. I will then hope THAT will at least be accepted.
Spoiler

#71 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61317

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

I saw MANY people with black-colored/realistic firearm props at this convention, and while they did appear to have the proper orange tip, they were by no means within the rules as described to me in this thread. It felt rather insulting.
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku
Naoto Shirogane (detective ver.)

#72 User is offline   DarrenShanForeva123 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61544

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Hi, I have a flag pole I would like to bring. It's about 3 inches taller than me but my dad can cut that part off. It's for my America cosplay from Hetalia and there's an American flag hanging off of it but I can disconnect the pole into 3 short pieces and hold it close to my body so it doesn't bother anyone. Is that fine?

#73 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Should the title be changed from 2011 to just The Costume & Prop Checklist? I would think this would carry on for every year and just mod the OP with updates noted in the thread.

#74 User is offline   Dull-Boy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62487

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hi Hi, I have two staffs (one is 6ft and the other one is a tiny bit under) both but are always in their case. I brought it from Wing Lam Enterprise and the length is 75 inches (6'3" in height). I dress as my own character that could be a fighter from Soul Caliber or Mortal Kombat or any anime that utilise weapons. My height is between 5'7" and 5'8". I understood that prop would have to be a person's height or lower but would the same be applied to the carrying case that holds the item. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to have my prop (which is only to show off the case than the weapon once) at this convention due to my height (thanks a lot mom). It was just out of curiosity for if a person was just 6 feet (like my dad) or if the intended prop was actually a person's case. It was going to have just some kanji on there and a specific little plush doll or charm hanging down like a keyblade once I get the materials. Here is a picture of it.

https://sphotos-b.xx...957045686_n.jpg

#75 User is offline   captainmcsquicky 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61807

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

alright so heres my question . When it comes to gun props should have rosemomt police officers inspect them?
because i went to wizard world back im august (lot of fun)..same place and i was told my smg needed to be inspected by them. When i approached them they just looked at it. Put a orange tie wrap on it and said im all good. Now heres the wacky part i was shocked when i was able to keep the magazine in the gun..ofc it was a clear body but iv seen other people with airsoft guns with orange tags and they were jet black. Now i got off easy cause my gun was a clear body but as for the others then cops did a damn good job inspecting them for letting the others get the OK. Now my question is when it comes to airsoft guns or any gun prop in general maybe they should inspect them to be safe like they did at wizard world. Now im not trying to come down on ACen staff cause i think they done a damn good job for many years.if any ACen staff take this the wrong way i apologize in advance and thats not what im here to talk about. Im saying that when it comes to airsoft guns or props i would feel alittle safer if we had law enforcement who have extensive knowledge of firearms inspect our gun props.
Cosplays of ACen 2012
Ghost - Call of duty modern warfare 2- 100%
Umbrella Security Service = 40%
Sith lord = 35%

#76 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

*this is my own personal opinion, not an official one*

That is an interesting idea. I'm not sure exactly how feasible it might be - who knows, maybe RPS would be okay with having a couple people on hand to help check props. I just can't give a certain answer, since that's something that would likely need to be discussed higher-up. (And I'll certainly ask!)

#77 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

*IRT hat goes on* Okay, got an answer for you.

Rosemont Public Safety won't be providing this service, nor will we be asking this of them. They already do plenty for us ACen, on top of their regular duties outside of con. As nice an idea as it sounds, it's just not feasible. Sorry about that.

#78 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62809

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Is this toy gun acceptable? its from Walmart. I'm cosplaying as BSAA SOU Member.
https://fbcdn-sphoto...0114c278b2ffe84

#79 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Judging from the molding, am I right in that this won't fire anything/trigger won't move?

#80 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

It will make gunfire noises and it lights up the barrel when you pull the trigger but it won't fire anything the tips have no openings. if needed, i can remove the batteries from the rifle. Can i at least keep the flashlight on the grip operational?

#81 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Tell you what - I'll be double-checking on this; I'll get you an answer within the next few days. :)

#82 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

no problem. If it helps im keeping it the same color. :)

#83 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Good news! You are in the clear~ You can keep the flashlight operational, but make sure the batteries for sound are gone. :)

#84 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

roger that. now i have another question. i want use another prop. its from the same toy company as the rifle. is that one okay to use too? (like before I will remove the batteries for the sound and keep the same color) :unsure:

http://www.walmart.c...6#ProductDetail

#85 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yep, that will be fine! Thanks!

#86 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Thanks, Valkyrie. :D My cosplay shall be complete!!

#87 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

i have a question. My cosplay character carries a knife in a sheath. i found a rubber one online. is this acceptable? Its not real steel.i want to be sure before i buy it. http://www.evike.com...oducts_id=25531

#88 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

View PostAlcatraz, on 16 January 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

i have a question. My cosplay character carries a knife in a sheath. i found a rubber one online. is this acceptable? Its not real steel.i want to be sure before i buy it. http://www.evike.com...oducts_id=25531

Yes, rubber knives are acceptable.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#89 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Thank you, Good sir.

#90 User is offline   Kamen Rider Gumo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63025

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Okay - 2013 is going to be my first-ever ACen, and I don't want to screw things up.

I'm from West Virginia, and we've got a pretty danged relaxed attitude about guns here. Our state's biggest convention, Tsubasacon, really doesn't even enforce prop weapon checks. You can volunteer for it and they'll look it over, but that's as far as it goes. A friend of mine cosplaying as Lara Croft used a pair of black 9mm-like airsoft guns on her costume and nobody even batted an eye. More or less everyone in this state has grown up around and using real guns and replicas are hardly ever even looked at. I realize, though, that other sates do not have this same relaxed attitude and I want to be absolutely 100% -sure- that I'm going to be within the rules here.

My planned cosplay is that of a Red Ribbon Army soldier from the DragonBall anime. The props I intend to use are toys available from Kmart, WalMart, etc., and I want to double-check to make sure that these are acceptable within the guidelines before I purchase them:

Rifle

Pistol

Machine Gun

All are electronic with battery-operated lights/sounds (and very choppy and unrealistic ones, at that, but what do you expect for $10?), none are realistically-painted nor do they actually shoot anything (the machine gun's ammo belt just cycles through the gun in an endless loop and nothing comes out of the barrel). Would there be any problems with these? Thanks in advance.
Why did I choose a Red Ribbon soldier for my cosplay? Because I'm a little short for a Stormtrooper.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users