Anime Central Forums: The 2011 Costume & Prop Checklist - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The 2011 Costume & Prop Checklist Is YOUR Prop Ready?

#31 User is offline   Gurgle Foo 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 11072
  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: 09-May 07
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 08 March 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Would these be your everyday bags, or part of a costume?

From a distance both look fairly realistic and both clearly have "barrels" so minimally, if the con were to allow these (mainly see "needs to be sufficiently distinguishable from a real one"), I'd imagine they'd at the very /least/ need to have orange tips and be modified to some extent. The pistols look indeed like holstered, REAL pistols, and are even labeled as holsters, not bags or purses or whatever, AND have clear, visible "triggers", so I'm highly doubting those would be allowed. If you were to approach an officer in a dark shirt with those things on, there would very likely be a bad situation waiting to happen. I'd strongly argue against those, and advise against the tommy gun bag unless you were to add hundreds of sequins and sparkles and neon (and the necessary orange tip), or something else to make it inextricably clear it's a very unorthodox purse, not an assault weapon. Caution says best not to bring 'em, but only you can decide whether to bring them and possibly have to store them in your hotel all weekend. :/

At the very least, I'd argue against using this as your main purse at con, or having a backup with you in case you're told to put it away pronto...


Well I've used them as everyday handbags in the past with no trouble, but I'd be using them as props for the con... both purses are flat as cardboard (just enough room for basic purse items). I do agree the pic of the pistols looks realistic, but in person they are actually not as detailed, also the "holster" is attached... the bag they came in says "holstered gun purse" on it so it is a purse and the 'triggers' dont move they are flat pleather. I can only add some orange tape to them... they dont have tips of any kind because they are so flat, and because they are pleather (and personally it would really tacky) I cant add sequins or adornments because it would melt the material and/or cause wholes that would just tear the bags apart. Also, I don't have a room for the con... I live nearby.

#32 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

  • Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017
  • Posts: 441
  • Joined: 08-May 07
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

View PostGurgle Foo, on 08 March 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Well I've used them as everyday handbags in the past with no trouble, but I'd be using them as props for the con... both purses are flat as cardboard (just enough room for basic purse items). I do agree the pic of the pistols looks realistic, but in person they are actually not as detailed, also the "holster" is attached... the bag they came in says "holstered gun purse" on it so it is a purse and the 'triggers' dont move they are flat pleather. I can only add some orange tape to them... they dont have tips of any kind because they are so flat, and because they are pleather (and personally it would really tacky) I cant add sequins or adornments because it would melt the material and/or cause holes that would just tear the bags apart. Also, I don't have a room for the con... I live nearby.

Whether the triggers can move or not, isn't the problem as much as at a distance (even a small one) they could be mistaken for real. Same for the barrels (what is mean by tips, and where the tape'd go) on both sets, and the holstered pair (the holster being part of the design won't help - still looks real, unfortunately). Real guns can be carried by straps of the kind depicted, which is another factor. Anything realistic/not very clearly fake is against prop rules, not to mention problematic at the very least if local law enforcement were to see it/them. If a cop thinks you have real guns on you ....well, that will not go so well, let's just say (but being local you (should) know about Chicagoland's gun problems, anyway).

The glitter/sequins/etc were just random ideas thrown out to give an idea of helping make it look clearly fake from near and afar, by no means the only idea or whatnot. If you feel comfortable using them as props, do know to comply with con rules, even if deemed to look fake, they need to have an orange tip (con rule and state laws for fake guns), and if you're told they're not allowable, you'l have to store them or take them home if you don't have a hotel. No one can make you not bring them, but just anticipate they may not be okay (*unless you get an official staff reply here to know for sure, of course).

Apologies if i come off curt or cranky; not feeling so hot right now but can't really sleep. :/
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#33 User is offline   Byakuya 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61409
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 25-January 12
  • Location:Illinois

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I will be making an FFXIII Lightning sword. It will be about 3 feet long, maybe a few inches more. It's made of foamboard, so I was wondering if that will be breaking the rules? I will also make a sheath for it so it won't be in the way of anyone. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.hellocosp...edge-p-936.html

#34 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

  • Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017
  • Posts: 441
  • Joined: 08-May 07
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostByakuya, on 11 March 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

I will be making an FFXIII Lightning sword. It will be about 3 feet long, maybe a few inches more. It's made of foamboard, so I was wondering if that will be breaking the rules? I will also make a sheath for it so it won't be in the way of anyone. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.hellocosp...edge-p-936.html

Unless you're shorter than 3 feet, or it's got live (being sharp or pointy) steel parts, you'll be fine. Just get it tagged at Props & you'll be good to go. Have fun working on it!
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#35 User is offline   Okko 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59615
  • Posts: 276
  • Joined: 04-March 11
  • Location:Indianapolis, IN

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

So I have a gun prop I made (pictures on the previous page) I have to go to get it tagged? Where? Or do I just go on with my merry day?
ACen 2013
Akihiko Sanada (Mayonaka Arena Version)- 100%
Malik Caesar (Tales of Graces F) 100%
Rei Ryugazaki (FREE!) 100%

#36 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61317
  • Posts: 85
  • Joined: 05-January 12

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostOkko, on 12 March 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

So I have a gun prop I made (pictures on the previous page) I have to go to get it tagged? Where? Or do I just go on with my merry day?


This. ^
As far as everyone I'd asked about checking props in, the answer has been "they discontinued it because it took forever". It'd be nice to confirm there isn't any check-in procedure. Is there?

@chainedbyroses,
Ask my poor bank account about how often I'm trawling eBay. I play the "let's see how many hits we get when I mangle words" game constantly, and it never ceases to amuse me. ( pre-sewn obi listed as "oriental backpack?" for $20? Yes please.) So yeah, I've done searches like "toy gun" knowing it'd get me a million hits and spent half an hour clicking through pages. I didn't know the exact make of gun I was looking for until after five or six general searches and narrowed it down to the S&W J-frame from there. The More You Know...

Also, thank you for reminding me that I have a dratini and vulpix sitting at my folk's house somewhere. -_-;
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku
Naoto Shirogane (detective ver.)

#37 User is offline   Valkyrie 

  • Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041
  • Posts: 1,274
  • Joined: 21-September 04
  • Location:Mundelein, IL

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Good evening, everyone! :)

Okay, first - Hoshigumo! First, I'm sorry I've been absolutely atrocious in getting back to you. If you're still open for it, I do have a plan in mind, I'm just trying to get it to work with me and bear fruit (and if I have anything to say about it, IT WILL.) ^^

Now, for some official answers:

As to prop checks! Yes, they are still in existence, and yes, we like people coming up to make sure their props are good and kosher, especially gun props. The prop check will be by the Upper Dome of the Hyatt, off the lobby.

View PostFimbulvinter, on 06 March 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

If I were to make wings for my costume, how far could they be from my body?
and is it acceptable if I make them retractable, so when I wander around the con they could be closer to me and for photos I could extend them?


The farthest they can be from your body is 6 inches, since you'll be wearing them. I do like the retraction idea, though to be safe I would save that for photoshoots.


View PostGurgle Foo, on 08 March 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

Would a solid black purse shaped like a tommy gun or pistol be okay? They has zippers and an nondetachable straps, but I could put some orange tape on them if you guys think they would considered replicas... I bought them at a costume store and haven't had trouble wearing them in public before, but I figured its better to ask now then get in trouble later. Thanks!


Sorry for the late response here. Those particular bags...as long as they stay flat and you get orange tips on them, they should be okay. (Wouldn't hurt to bring them by prop check to be safe, tho.)


View PostByakuya, on 11 March 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

I will be making an FFXIII Lightning sword. It will be about 3 feet long, maybe a few inches more. It's made of foamboard, so I was wondering if that will be breaking the rules? I will also make a sheath for it so it won't be in the way of anyone. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.hellocosp...edge-p-936.html


That will be just fine! The maximum height for props now is your height, or, if you're shorter than 4 feet, 4 feet is the max. In either case, you'll be okay. ^^

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 13 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#38 User is offline   Fate Averruncus 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9968
  • Posts: 143
  • Joined: 22-March 07
  • Location:Round Lake, Illinois

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hi. :). I have a question regarding prop length. I remember reading in the program book last year that props are now limited in length to what our height is. However, the first post hints that the four foot rule still applies. Which rule is the one that is in effect? I need to make Yuki Cross's Artemis Rod for my cosplay, and it's supposed to be close to my own height. And I'm 6'1''. I don't know how big bamboo poles come, but I was aiming for between 5 feet-5 foot 10 (to allow space for the caps on the end). Would this be too big? I'm only concerned because I am a bit taller than most people are.
And would I be OK going in the registration area(to pick up my lanyard) and then the dealer's room without having my prop checked? I know I should(and will) have it checked eventually, but I would like to avoid the extra trip if possible.
Attending ACen since 2002. :).
Friday and Saturday cosplay: Neinheart from MapleStory

My cosplay.com page | My Deviantart page

#39 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

  • Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017
  • Posts: 441
  • Joined: 08-May 07
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostFate Averruncus, on 17 March 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Hi. :). I have a question regarding prop length. I remember reading in the program book last year that props are now limited in length to what our height is. However, the first post hints that the four foot rule still applies. Which rule is the one that is in effect? I need to make Yuki Cross's Artemis Rod for my cosplay, and it's supposed to be close to my own height. And I'm 6'1''. I don't know how big bamboo poles come, but I was aiming for between 5 feet-5 foot 10 (to allow space for the caps on the end). Would this be too big? I'm only concerned because I am a bit taller than most people are.
And would I be OK going in the registration area(to pick up my lanyard) and then the dealer's room without having my prop checked? I know I should(and will) have it checked eventually, but I would like to avoid the extra trip if possible.

The 4 foot rule for props only applies if you are 4 feet tall or shorter; otherwise, your prop is limited to your height, so a 5' - 5'10" bow should be more than fine for a 6'1" person like you. (just remember to not have it strung tightly/make sure to meet the other bow rules).

Picking up your badge/lanyard should be fine - just remember to get it checked/tagged, though.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#40 User is offline   steamkitten 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61742
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 18-March 12

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

I'm currently almost done with my cosplays for this year. All that's left is a pistol. I have a couple of ideas and would like to know which will work with Acen's prop rules:
1) Take a squirt gun, as pictured, and paint it black: http://www.amazon.co...=A3G9US96RB0YC7

2)Paint a rubberband gun black: http://www.amazon.co...m=ATC6PKHHOQT1K

3)Take a wii gun, put foam or some other light-weight material where the wii controller will go (and again paint it black):
http://www.amazon.co...=A1PVJENL0IJHJ4

4) use something like the black toy pistol in this kit here: http://www.amazon.co...m=AE1JW95UY08GL

I know that i need to keep the tip of any pistol orange but would like for the body of the gun to be black if at all possible. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks and can't wait until Acen.

#41 User is offline   opimus.rm 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28
  • Posts: 587
  • Joined: 08-April 03

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

View Poststeamkitten, on 18 March 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

I'm currently almost done with my cosplays for this year. All that's left is a pistol. I have a couple of ideas and would like to know which will work with Acen's prop rules:
1) Take a squirt gun, as pictured, and paint it black: http://www.amazon.co...=A3G9US96RB0YC7

2)Paint a rubberband gun black: http://www.amazon.co...m=ATC6PKHHOQT1K

3)Take a wii gun, put foam or some other light-weight material where the wii controller will go (and again paint it black):
http://www.amazon.co...=A1PVJENL0IJHJ4

4) use something like the black toy pistol in this kit here: http://www.amazon.co...m=AE1JW95UY08GL

I know that i need to keep the tip of any pistol orange but would like for the body of the gun to be black if at all possible. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks and can't wait until Acen.

May I suggest that you read the first post in this thread carefully.

This post has been edited by opimus.rm: 19 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#42 User is offline   steamkitten 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61742
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 18-March 12

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Postopimus.rm, on 19 March 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

May I suggest that you read the first post in this thread carefully.

I understand that i need to leave the tips of the "gun" orange (or glue an orange cap to the tip), but i would like for the body to be black if at all possible. I wanted to know which ones would look significantly fake that i could use as a prop. And there would be no water, if i used the water gun, and the rubberband gun wouldn't have any rubberbands. Obviously none are real firearms, and none of the others could even fire anything if i wanted them to. I am not a gun expert and in fact know practically nothing about the weapons besides the fact that you point them and shoot them. that's why i was looking for some advice in this thread before i put down time and effort and money working on my prop. I fail to see what else i was supposed to have read in this thread and i apologize if i'm missing your point.

I would have thought that the rubberband gun would have been fake enough, even if painted but just wanted to make sure.

#43 User is offline   opimus.rm 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28
  • Posts: 587
  • Joined: 08-April 03

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Painting it black makes it look to realistic.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#44 User is offline   Valkyrie 

  • Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041
  • Posts: 1,274
  • Joined: 21-September 04
  • Location:Mundelein, IL

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Don't worry, steam~ It is a perfectly valid question, and I'm glad you asked just in case.

Unfortunately, having looked at each of the links, none of those pistols would work if painted black. The main issue we have is making sure they're not just distinguishable up close, but at a distance. (The fact that we work with Rosemont P.D means that we want to be careful with that.)

The blue water pistol may be your best bet there. I'm sorry about that.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#45 User is offline   captainmcsquicky 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61807
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 28-March 12
  • Location:Homer Glen, Illinois

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

alright here is my question, ill be cosplaying as Ghost from call of duty modern warfare 2 and a Umbrella security service, i ordered an M4 and i was wondering what can i do to make it pass for inspection.
here is ze link for it >http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=JG-F6613-TAN<
i know it's body had black coloring to it but last year i brought one for inpsection and it passed, it was a cheap plastic but it was all black with an orange tip,the body of this gun is made of ABS Plastic and the Tan color might help a lot but i wanted to be on the safe side, what i can do is take off or TRY to take off the RIS on the gun, heck ill go as far as taking the thing apart to pass it (its made by JG so its not hard putting it back together)
so please someone help me out D:!!!
Cosplays of ACen 2012
Ghost - Call of duty modern warfare 2- 100%
Umbrella Security Service = 40%
Sith lord = 35%

#46 User is offline   ashrii 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61816
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • Location:Indianapolis

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

"Does the costume violate local decency laws?"

What exactly ARE the decency laws? Just how skimpy can a cosplay BE before a girl is asked to change or cover up?

#47 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307
  • Posts: 359
  • Joined: 04-May 03

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postashrii, on 29 March 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

"Does the costume violate local decency laws?"

What exactly ARE the decency laws? Just how skimpy can a cosplay BE before a girl is asked to change or cover up?


Well according to the Illinois laws Public Indecency would be the following:

"(2) A lewd exposure of the body done with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desire of the person.Breast-feeding of infants is not an act of public indecency."

So what does this mean? Just about anything; it's really going to be up to the individual officer or authority to determine if it's indecent or not. The safe bet is as long as the obvious naughty areas are clearly not exposed you'll likely be safe.

This post has been edited by TheStrongJaeger: 29 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

All systems... GO!

#48 User is offline   waltzofthemoon 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 16165
  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: 27-November 07
  • Location:Fort Wayne, IN

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

I don't think this would violate the rules but I just wanted to double-check before I buy one and bring it to the con: would I be allowed to carry a whip as part of a cosplay? I'd be willing to loop it up and zip-tie it if having it loose is a problem.
2014 Cosplay
Koala [ONE PIECE]
Mom [HOMESTUCK]
Irene Adler [SHERLOCK]

#49 User is offline   ! prospit dreamer 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61286
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 28-December 11
  • Location:Des Moines, IA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

Wanting to double check this really quick, just to make sure I'm not breaking any rules but--

I realize live steel is not allowed. If a character I cosplay carries a katana, would I be able to carry the katana (dulled, as well) if it was within a sheath and never removed? If needed, I'd be able to bind it shut somehow, to make sure it stays secure.

Thanks!
2012 acen cosplays including:
indiana jones aradia, dirk strider
the disciple, roxy lalonde, god tier rose

#50 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307
  • Posts: 359
  • Joined: 04-May 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

View Post! prospit dreamer, on 13 April 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

Wanting to double check this really quick, just to make sure I'm not breaking any rules but--

I realize live steel is not allowed. If a character I cosplay carries a katana, would I be able to carry the katana (dulled, as well) if it was within a sheath and never removed? If needed, I'd be able to bind it shut somehow, to make sure it stays secure.

Thanks!


From the ACen prop rule page on what is not acceptable :
  • Has Live Steel. (Any object crafted from metal with a blade or pointed edge, sharp or blunt.)


~ As a related note, blade replicas purchased in the exhibit hall may not ever be purchased or carried by minors, and must be kept wrapped and boxed as sold by the vendor until you can move them to your car or hotel room. If you receive one of these items in a manner that breaks this rule, please find an ACen Exhibit Space Team Member and let them know.




So based on that I would say no, not even if sheathed and peace bound. As always if I am reading that wrong ACen staff please correct me.





All systems... GO!

#51 User is offline   Kent 

  • Berserker
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61118
  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: 05-November 11
  • Location:Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

I have a wooden katana sword for my prop and I have a live steel version (dull blade). Do you think I should even bring the live steel one, it looks a lot nicer might be good for photo shoots outside?

Then another question can I paint the wooden blade on my prop a silver metallic color?

#52 User is offline   Izuhara_Torozu 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61968
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 15-April 12
  • Location:Mosinee, WI

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Alrighty.. since I've never been to aCen before I'd like to maybe clear this up so I don't have my prop chucked in the waste bin or something (lol).

I'm going as a character from Persona 3.. and we've got these things called evokers that look like guns. They're grey as opposed to gunmetal or black, and since I'm used to the game it's like "pf, that's not a gun, duh that's an evoker." But I'd like to run it by the panel of big shots.

Mine looks pretty similar to this, it's a star wars laser gun from walmart heavily modified and painted primer grey. So would this gun be against the rules for being "too realistic", or is it sufficiently orange tipped and "futuristic."

Posted Image

Also, would removing the trigger portion make it any more acceptable if the answer to my first question is a "no"?
Whether a tree lives to see the end of centuries
Or a random hand picks in instantly
Life is art, a miracle for all to believe
I must tell you that you lived beautifully

#53 User is offline   Valkyrie 

  • Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041
  • Posts: 1,274
  • Joined: 21-September 04
  • Location:Mundelein, IL

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Sorry for the late replies, guys! Had a really busy few weeks. *cracks knuckles* Okay, let's see here...

View Postwaltzofthemoon, on 02 April 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

I don't think this would violate the rules but I just wanted to double-check before I buy one and bring it to the con: would I be allowed to carry a whip as part of a cosplay? I'd be willing to loop it up and zip-tie it if having it loose is a problem.


...I don't believe we have any rules against whips. BUT let's try not to give cause to making one. ;) If you can make sure it stays firmly looped and bound, then it shouldn't be a problem. Better safe than sorry!


View Post! prospit dreamer, on 13 April 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

Wanting to double check this really quick, just to make sure I'm not breaking any rules but--

I realize live steel is not allowed. If a character I cosplay carries a katana, would I be able to carry the katana (dulled, as well) if it was within a sheath and never removed? If needed, I'd be able to bind it shut somehow, to make sure it stays secure.

Thanks!


Jaeger is right on this count. Unfortunately, your katana will have to stay at home. Even if it's sheathed, peace-bound, and dulled, it still counts as live steel and therefore cannot be carried with you.


View PostKent, on 15 April 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

I have a wooden katana sword for my prop and I have a live steel version (dull blade). Do you think I should even bring the live steel one, it looks a lot nicer might be good for photo shoots outside?

Then another question can I paint the wooden blade on my prop a silver metallic color?


Nope, can't do the live steel version. (see above) You're welcome to bring the wooden one, though! As to the paint, yes, you can certainly do that~


View PostIzuhara_Torozu, on 17 April 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Alrighty.. since I've never been to aCen before I'd like to maybe clear this up so I don't have my prop chucked in the waste bin or something (lol).

I'm going as a character from Persona 3.. and we've got these things called evokers that look like guns. They're grey as opposed to gunmetal or black, and since I'm used to the game it's like "pf, that's not a gun, duh that's an evoker." But I'd like to run it by the panel of big shots.

Mine looks pretty similar to this, it's a star wars laser gun from walmart heavily modified and painted primer grey. So would this gun be against the rules for being "too realistic", or is it sufficiently orange tipped and "futuristic."

Posted Image

Also, would removing the trigger portion make it any more acceptable if the answer to my first question is a "no"?


Is it possible to see pictures of the actual gun you'll be carrying? That way I can judge it a bit more accurately. ^^
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#54 User is offline   Izuhara_Torozu 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61968
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 15-April 12
  • Location:Mosinee, WI

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Sure thing ;)

Here's the Evoker and some noms, too.

Posted Image
Whether a tree lives to see the end of centuries
Or a random hand picks in instantly
Life is art, a miracle for all to believe
I must tell you that you lived beautifully

#55 User is offline   Valkyrie 

  • Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041
  • Posts: 1,274
  • Joined: 21-September 04
  • Location:Mundelein, IL

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thanks! To be on the safe side, be sure to bring it over to our prop check table at con. :) (Those noms look delicious too, lol)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#56 User is offline   Cricket 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 29983
  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: 12-May 09
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Just a fast and fun note for everyone here bringing weapon props, rather then rush around and find something orange to put on the tip if you fail inspection, buy a cheap bright orange roll of duct tape to use. (found at party stores and the like) it's 4$ and can save a headache.

This post has been edited by Cricket: 22 April 2012 - 03:13 PM


IRT Line Control Team Lead '13
IRT Line Control '12
IRT Mid-Shift Commander '11
IRT Mid-Shift Commander '10
IRT Night Shift Supervisor '09
IRT Concerts and Dance Team '08
IRT Escorts '07

#57 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

  • Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017
  • Posts: 441
  • Joined: 08-May 07
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

View PostCricket, on 22 April 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

Just a fast and fun note for everyone here bringing weapon props, rather then rush around and find something orange to put on the tip if you fail inspection, buy a cheap bright orange roll of duct tape to use. (found at party stores and the like) it's 4$ and can save a headache.

Neon orange Paint Markers would also work for like $3 @Walgreens too. Small enough to carry on your person, bright enough to be seen from Mars, have a lot of color inside for their size, and are able to cover even small props or details that tape would have trouble with otherwise. Not to mention that paint markers are just awesome and were a favorite pastime of us children of the late nineties *nostalgia bus*...
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#58 User is offline   Radicallay 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 42983
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 05-November 09

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

So I'm bringing a bow for my cosplay. Stupid question...What do you mean by TIGHTLY stung? :unsure: because it's a real bow I bought at manparts (haha, manparts)and I'm using prop arrows with it. Will I be allowed?

#59 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307
  • Posts: 359
  • Joined: 04-May 03

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostRadicallay, on 23 April 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

So I'm bringing a bow for my cosplay. Stupid question...What do you mean by TIGHTLY stung? :unsure: because it's a real bow I bought at manparts (haha, manparts)and I'm using prop arrows with it. Will I be allowed?


Tightly strung means that it's tight enough to be usable. If you can fire an arrow from it then it's too right.
All systems... GO!

#60 User is offline   opimus.rm 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28
  • Posts: 587
  • Joined: 08-April 03

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

The bow should be unstrung
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users