Anime Central Forums: The 2011 Costume & Prop Checklist - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The 2011 Costume & Prop Checklist Is YOUR Prop Ready?

#1 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hello, forumites! It's time, once again, for me to post the Costume & Prop Rules Checklist. Just like in past years, this is the exact same checklist that we give our ops to judge your props, and it's an easy way to double-check if your prop fits within the rules of Anime Central.

As always, if you have any questions about props, post them in the forums; do not PM me (or anyone else) personally. That way, everyone can see and benefit from the answer.

The Prop Acceptability Checklist
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, the prop is not allowed.
  • Is the prop longer than the congoer's height when carried, if the congoer is at least 4 feet tall?
  • Is the prop longer than 4 feet when carried, if the congoer is less than 4 feet tall?
  • Is the prop made of live steel?
  • Is the prop a real firearm?
  • Is the prop insufficiently distinguishable from a real firearm?
  • If the prop is a gun-like prop, does it lack an orange tip?
  • If the prop is an airsoft weapon, is it not disabled and unloaded?
  • If the prop is an airsoft weapon, is it a color that real firearms are?
  • Are there projectiles loaded or nocked into the prop or easily accessible on the prop's carrier?
  • If the prop is a water gun, is there water in the reservoir?
  • If the prop is a bow or other stringed weapon, is it tightly strung?
  • Are there any loose arrows or bolts with the costume or prop?
  • If the prop is a sword-like prop, is it being carried in a dangerous manner?

The Costume Acceptability Checklist
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, the costume is not allowed.
  • Does the costume have dangerous protrusions?
  • Does the costume break the 6-inch zone?
  • Does the costume severely obstruct mobility or line-of-sight for the wearer?
  • Does the costume violate local decency laws?
  • Does the costume have offensive speech in any language on it?
  • Is the congoer wearing or holding a sign that is not part of the costume?

There you go. The rules, of course, are accessible around the forums and on ACen's homepage. They will also be in the program book at con. But now, you know what we IRT ops are looking at to judge your costumes. I hope you find it helpful - or at least enlightening.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#2 User is offline   Santa Finland 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59766

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

What exactly is live steel? I'm planning on being Hungary who carries a frying pan. I've tried getting a toy one but I need to get a whole cooking set and they're really small. Could I bring a real one?
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
flapper!fem!America (Hetalia - Original design)
maid!Nitori (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013)

#3 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

View PostSanta Finland, on 17 October 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

What exactly is live steel? I'm planning on being Hungary who carries a frying pan. I've tried getting a toy one but I need to get a whole cooking set and they're really small. Could I bring a real one?

Any prop crafted from metal with a point or blade-like edge qualifies as live steel.

Unless the edges of your frying pan are sharp, you should be fine.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#4 User is offline   gnomejon 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61331

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Would a flintlock pistol replica be within the rules of the convention, or would I be required to paint the tip orange?

#5 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

View Postgnomejon, on 09 January 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

Would a flintlock pistol replica be within the rules of the convention, or would I be required to paint the tip orange?

" Is the prop insufficiently distinguishable from a real firearm?
If the prop is a gun-like prop, does it lack an orange tip?"

Based on this I would say yes you need an orange tip at minimum as it is a replica of a real firearm.
All systems... GO!

#6 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

"Would the police be inclined to view you as armed with a firearm if they saw it?" is your best guideline here... bearing in mind that the police have to make up their minds <i>quickly</i> if they're investigating a disturbance and see you with a gun, and won't be looking up your gun in a catalog to see if it matches a real-world firearm.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#7 User is online   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Also keep in mind how realistic it looks from a distance. For instance, it may look perfectly fake close-up, but if someone sees it at a distance, and can't tell if it's real or not, orange tip or not, then it would be a no go. My husband and I have a few airsoft guns that, unfortunately, haven't been able to get out much because they look too realistic (both from a distance and to the untrained eye). Even if my husband is able to point out all the spots on his M-16 replica that are inaccurate (and he does), the fact remains that it's too realistic to show at cons.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#8 User is offline   Okko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59615

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

I will be constructing a gun like prop but it will be made of paper or craft foam do I still need an orange tip, here is the exact prop.

My link
ACen 2013
Akihiko Sanada (Mayonaka Arena Version)- 100%
Malik Caesar (Tales of Graces F) 100%
Rei Ryugazaki (FREE!) 100%

#9 User is online   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yup, it still needs an orange tip. :)
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#10 User is offline   SupremeKai 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 58

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Just finished working on my gun and would like you to look at it and see if its kosher for the con, thanks much for the work

http://s69.photobuck...nt=DSCN0459.jpg

http://s69.photobuck...nt=DSCN0460.jpg

http://s69.photobuck...43909PMcopy.jpg

This post has been edited by SupremeKai: 27 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

If you ever get lost in the forest, screw it build a house, now you have severely improved your predictimet

#11 User is offline   Okko 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Alrighty, thank you very much. Thanks for the hard work also :D
ACen 2013

#12 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Okay, I plan to go as Maya Kitajima from Glass Mask, using this picture as the basis for my costume. I'm curious if the veil would still be acceptable under the costume guidelines?

It'll still be just as long so it can hit the floor when posed, but will just be a sheer red fabric instead of the kimono-looking fabric in the photo. It'll be clipped to my hair (whether by hair clips or a possible floral crown I plan to look into) and shouldn't affect my line of sight if clipped just right, and when walking I'll be having it draped over my arms (similar to wearing a shawl).

I just want to make sure if this will be acceptable before I go through with buying the fabric and such to finish this up. XD
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#13 User is online   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

SupremeKai: From what I can see right now, I'd say it looks good. You can also bring it to the prop check table at con, so we can get a good look there, too.

Ashori: That looks beautiful! And yes, that would be fine. Can't wait to see it!

#14 User is offline   SupremeKai 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 58

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

thanks alot and also is the prop table going to be at the same place as last yr near the dome?
If you ever get lost in the forest, screw it build a house, now you have severely improved your predictimet

#15 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61317

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm having difficulty trying to find something accurate to my costume (Naoto Shirogane's snub-nose revolver) that obviously falls within the "safe" zone. Would THIS: http://i.ebayimg.com...7Gsg~~60_12.JPG be safe, if I glued a bright orange cap to the end?
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku
Naoto Shirogane (detective ver.)

#16 User is online   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

That probably wouldn't fly, orange cap or no - it has to be unrealistic enough that it can be easily recognized as a fake, from close up and from a distance. (For instance, we may not be able to see the DETECTIVE etching on the barrel.) I say "probably" because the lighting in that shot might not do the revolver justice - but, my gut is telling me no. :(

#17 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 02 February 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

That probably wouldn't fly, orange cap or no - it has to be unrealistic enough that it can be easily recognized as a fake, from close up and from a distance. (For instance, we may not be able to see the DETECTIVE etching on the barrel.) I say "probably" because the lighting in that shot might not do the revolver justice - but, my gut is telling me no. :(

Okay. So how close to a revolver CAN I carry?

I'm sorry, I don't want to sound like I'm upset (I'm not! Text communication is lacking in conveying actual emotion, I digress.), but I'm having trouble trying to think of what would still vaguely resemble the charcter's accessory but still fall within guidelines. If anyone can think of any good substitutes, I'd really love some help.
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku

#18 User is offline   Okko 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Ok almost done with my prop, would this work?
My link
ACen 2013

#19 User is online   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostHoshigumo, on 02 February 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Okay. So how close to a revolver CAN I carry?

I'm sorry, I don't want to sound like I'm upset (I'm not! Text communication is lacking in conveying actual emotion, I digress.), but I'm having trouble trying to think of what would still vaguely resemble the charcter's accessory but still fall within guidelines. If anyone can think of any good substitutes, I'd really love some help.

Oh, no worries! Trust me, I hate having to be the bearer of bad news (and I've had to play this role with my hubby when we go to cons a few times in the past).

The problem here is accuracy - unfortunately, getting too accurate will mean your prop can't be used. In the case of the gun you had as an example, the weathered, realistic look and itty-bitty orange tip wouldn't have worked out at con. (And as much as it sucks saying no here, it's even less fun having to do so at con.) So, what you could do is try and constructing a makeshift one. (See Okko's pic for an example.) It may not look realistic, BUT this will allow you to have a revolver prop all the same. Plus, it'll ensure that you can get a noticeable orange tip on the barrel, as well. ^^

View PostOkko, on 05 February 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

Ok almost done with my prop, would this work?
My link

Looks lovely! That should work fine!

#20 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 08 February 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Oh, no worries! Trust me, I hate having to be the bearer of bad news (and I've had to play this role with my hubby when we go to cons a few times in the past).

The problem here is accuracy - unfortunately, getting too accurate will mean your prop can't be used. In the case of the gun you had as an example, the weathered, realistic look and itty-bitty orange tip wouldn't have worked out at con. (And as much as it sucks saying no here, it's even less fun having to do so at con.) So, what you could do is try and constructing a makeshift one. (See Okko's pic for an example.) It may not look realistic, BUT this will allow you to have a revolver prop all the same. Plus, it'll ensure that you can get a noticeable orange tip on the barrel, as well. ^^

Well, as I posted earlier, my intent was to alter this gun to make it more noticeable at a longer distance, including gluing an electrical cap to the end. And really, that's what I was looking for--advice on how to turn that into something that would work. I don't have time (or patience, given what's happened in the first part of this year) to craft a revolver out of sheets of foam like Okko did wonderfully with the Evoker. And the rules seem to suggest that only Airsoft weapons can't have realistic paint jobs. I realize that realistic paint jobs are probably meant to fall under the "insufficiently distinguishable" rule above that, but the criteria aren't fully explained (no working parts, paint, metal vs rubber/plastic, distance at which they must be able to be told apart, etc.), so it leaves me as a first-timer to ACen scratching my head.

If I'd have realized how much trouble this would be, I might've started experimenting earlier, but at this point I've got four outfits to sew between now and con. Not blaming anyone, but again, if there were an existing prop I could re-paint, cap, or otherwise un-"Dirty Harry", it'd be ever so helpful. If not, I'll be fine going without, just frustrated. I'm not a stupid person. This shouldn't be this hard.
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku

#21 User is offline   Fimbulvinter 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58831

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

If I were to make wings for my costume, how far could they be from my body?
and is it acceptable if I make them retractable, so when I wander around the con they could be closer to me and for photos I could extend them?
!*~ACen 2015 Cosplays~*!

Kirishima Ayato- Tokyo Ghoul
Luvoratorrrrry! Kagamine Rin- Vocaloid
Nishinoya Yuu- Haikyuu!!
Foxfire Ahri- League of Legends

#22 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

View PostHoshigumo, on 08 February 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Well, as I posted earlier, my intent was to alter this gun to make it more noticeable at a longer distance, including gluing an electrical cap to the end. And really, that's what I was looking for--advice on how to turn that into something that would work. I don't have time (or patience, given what's happened in the first part of this year) to craft a revolver out of sheets of foam like Okko did wonderfully with the Evoker. And the rules seem to suggest that only Airsoft weapons can't have realistic paint jobs. I realize that realistic paint jobs are probably meant to fall under the "insufficiently distinguishable" rule above that, but the criteria aren't fully explained (no working parts, paint, metal vs rubber/plastic, distance at which they must be able to be told apart, etc.), so it leaves me as a first-timer to ACen scratching my head.

If I'd have realized how much trouble this would be, I might've started experimenting earlier, but at this point I've got four outfits to sew between now and con. Not blaming anyone, but again, if there were an existing prop I could re-paint, cap, or otherwise un-"Dirty Harry", it'd be ever so helpful. If not, I'll be fine going without, just frustrated. I'm not a stupid person. This shouldn't be this hard.

I've seen prop guns be both well-made and in compliance (here and elsewhere), so it is possible. The ultimate goal of the complying is to make it be identifiable as an obvious fake from a distance (especially considering how much trouble Chicagoland has with guns; just yesterday a kid brought a gun to school again). Your prop /can/ be done well and still be able to tell it's a fake, though you just have to A) have that tip be blaringly orange per safety rules, and B) get creative.

First off, let me start by asking whether the prop picture you posted is made of plastic. (Being plastic rather than resin or cold cast whatever makes it a /bazillion/ times easier to modify.) Second, having the trigger (and what appears to be a safety? Could be wrong; not an expert on guns) attached makes it look disconcertingly real, especially at a distance. If it's plastic and didn't cost too much, I'd say snap the trigger off, and (ignore this if I'm wrong) either remove the safety or get a little clay, cover it, and paint over it (you can remove it after the con). Third, that existing orange tip is not nearly large enough for that prop. Dad's worked for CPD some 30 years, walked across the other side of the room and asked why I was looking at revolvers online. Didn't even see the orange tip on it there, and my screen's on a rather bright setting thanks to the overcast haze darkening the house today. You'll /definitely/ need to make that orange WAY larger, and probably a lot more neon-er. Depending the size of the fake barrel, why not look at either soda bottle caps & neonifying them, or taking and neonifying the cap from something smaller (ketchup bottle, vanilla food flavoring, food dye caps, etc, listed here in descending size order)? Just hot glue the cap onto the barrel tip (**if the toy gun's made of really cheapy plastic use only a little super-hot glue, or use cool-set hot glue instead so it doesn't melt!!**), paint it super bright dayglow orange, be good for the con, and able to take it off after the con if you desire.

In addition to the orange cap, think of something that makes it super-clear it's not a real gun, just to be on the "safe but possibly overkill" side. Why not be cheeky and, with orange tip still there of course, have a little flag on a stick coming out of the barrel saying something like BANG!! or PEW PEW PEW!!, or something similar correlating to the character or series? You're still letting it be known "oh hey i could never shoot anything even if i tried~~" while getting to be cheeky about it, and cheeky is /always/ fun. :3

@Fumbulvinter, I want to say the limit, or old limit at the least, was extending no more than 6 inches from the body in any direction. I want to say a year or so back they made an exception or change to that policy, involving the cosplayer's own height as the limit for things like a staff, etc, though I may be wrong & would prefer someone actually knowing the current limits to say for sure. Making them retractable/able to open and close would actually be a brilliant idea -- keep them closed while wandering around, and open them for pictures (obviously not in the middle of a crowd, but somewhere smart like by a wall or off to the sides, or outside), and at both times you'd probably good in safety terms. Hopefully someone better in-the-know can say for sure for you - it sounds like you've given this a good bit of thought.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#23 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

@chainedbyroses, to be honest, I wasn't watching this thread for replies any more.

I understand the tip is not sufficient as-is and stated I'd be replacing it with something more visible. I understand the color is unacceptable. Nowhere does it say they must be made out of a certain material, and if being a cast-metal toy gun was an issue, I'd have expected to read "no metal" in the firearm section. Help with tips for altering this existing prop are what I was hoping for. I do not currently have extra budget and time to go buying things to craft with at this point, especially if it ends poorly. I am mainly trying to save money and time, after a few events have set me back in both categories.

That said. I have not been able to FIND cheap plastic versions of this character's revolver. It's hard to find anything other than vintage cap guns in this make (and before someone says something about cap guns, I would be disabling it or purchasing one like I'd previously been looking at, in fair but unworking condition). The cheapest, most visibly unrealistic snub nose I've seen for sale online has been a rubber training gun in red (I would concede to paint a prop gun blue to match Naoto's glasses, but these can't be painted at all) for around 40 to 50 dollars. I saw another thread on this sort of issue only after posting here, and know from an official response posted there that this type would be acceptable, but the price is definitely not.

Apologies for the belligerent tone here. It's late. I'm tired. I can't find a stupid gun. People keep ignoring what I wrote, and I'm to the point where I'm going to skip it even though it's pretty integral to the character.

This post has been edited by Hoshigumo: 08 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku

#24 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

View PostHoshigumo, on 08 March 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

@chainedbyroses, to be honest, I wasn't watching this thread for replies any more.

I understand the tip is not sufficient as-is and stated I'd be replacing it with something more visible. I understand the color is unacceptable. Nowhere does it say they must be made out of a certain material, and if being a cast-metal toy gun was an issue, I'd have expected to read "no metal" in the firearm section. Help with tips for altering this existing prop are what I was hoping for. I do not currently have extra budget and time to go buying things to craft with at this point, especially if it ends poorly. I am mainly trying to save money and time, after a few events have set me back in both categories.

That said. I have not been able to FIND cheap plastic versions of this character's revolver. It's hard to find anything other than vintage cap guns in this make (and before someone says something about cap guns, I would be disabling it or purchasing one like I'd previously been looking at, in fair but unworking condition). The cheapest, most visibly unrealistic snub nose I've seen for sale online has been a rubber training gun in red (I would concede to paint a prop gun blue to match Naoto's glasses, but these can't be painted at all) for around 40 to 50 dollars. I saw another thread on this sort of issue only after posting here, and know from an official response posted there that this type would be acceptable, but the price is definitely not.

Apologies for the belligerent tone here. It's late. I'm tired. I can't find a stupid gun. People keep ignoring what I wrote, and I'm to the point where I'm going to skip it even though it's pretty integral to the character.

I.... never said it couldn't be made of certain material? I was just asking whether you knew what it was made of, since you didn't specify above as far as I saw, and you never said anything about vintage cap guns. I've seen a fair share of similar cowboy style revolvers around halloween made of plastic, so sorry for assuming that's what it was with a good metallic paint job. From the sounds of what you had posted, I assumed you had the prop gun pictured in your possession. I assumed I put it in my post with the orange caps section, but looking back I must have thought it rather than wrote it -- an electrical cap, if it's the the same size as the ones I'm thinking, are not much larger than the existing orange tip's section, and will be just as hard to see at a distance, which is why I suggested some larger caps, even if the only-ever-so-slightly-larger ketchup or food dye covers, to put on and paint. As a first timer to ACen having posted asking for advice on how to turn it into something workable, well, that's what I tried to do. Suggesting you take apart or snap off the trigger if it's a cheap toy, and grabbing some $4 clay and $0.69 acrylic paint was part of what I'd consider reasonable and very cheap advice, not knowing what supplies you have on-hand (never said); I honestly thought it to be simple, fast, easy and cheap enough (I myself have virtually no budget for costuming so I aim for the freest on-the-fly solutions I can find that a little time and elbow grease can make look good). Sorry it wasn't what you were after. (I did read what you wrote, by the way. It wasn't ignored; sorry if I missed a detail or so though.) :/

On a side note, your props don't have to be animation-perfect. For guns, as well as any weapon prop, when photographed form certain angles and lightings their appearance can change and wind up looking a very different model or shape. If the prop is that critical, find one similar and work its best angle in shoots, or find a very simple plain toy revolver (like the $3 props in Walmart) and saw off the longer barrel, cap and paint with acrylics (which stick to all things with enough undisturbed dry time/overnight) as needed (4-6 hour project plus drying time, if you're fast and steady-handed). No one will be looking down their nose at you for worst-case having a full length revolver instead of stubby-barrell unless you post shots on 4chan (land of trolls); at con, no one will care or likely even notice, frankly. In a pinch "close enough" often will suffice, giving you all of next con year to work on improving or upgrading props. No one expects show room or museum quality.

I'm going to bed shortly, but best of luck with your props, whatever you decide to do in the end about them.
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#25 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:23 AM

I totally misread and wholeheartedly apologize. Brain at 3am + reading off iPhone + no glasses = stupid me. Also, the last reply to this was back on February 8th and...yeah. Seeing this again made me frustrated and I probably did do some projecting (strike that, "obviously" since I read several questions wrong). I really am sorry for sounding aggressive when you're trying to help.

No, when I posted originally, this thing was still up for auction on eBay and I didn't think the image would still work by now. The lettering on the barrel fit the character in a cute sort of way, and the hearts on the grip were adorable. Completely not her, but probably something she'd have had as a kid. I think it was cast metal rather than plastic. Most all of the guns I've seen in this style are cast. And I realize props don't HAVE to be perfect, but but I'd like to get it at least close to what it's supposed to be and really have been looking for months both in bricks-and-mortar stores and online. Nada. Either they're little pepperbox-type guns or automatics. Or perfect and too freaking expensive. /grumblemutterbrood

Apologies again.
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku

#26 User is offline   Gurgle Foo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 11072

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Would a solid black purse shaped like a tommy gun or pistol be okay? They has zippers and an nondetachable straps, but I could put some orange tape on them if you guys think they would considered replicas... I bought them at a costume store and haven't had trouble wearing them in public before, but I figured its better to ask now then get in trouble later. Thanks!

#27 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

So, I've never brought a prop to ACen before, and as a result I have a few (probably very silly! ^^; ) questions:

1. What is the prop check table?
2. Do I need to go there?
3. If so, where do I find it?

I'm bringing a foam sword that is much shorter than I am. Thanks! :)

This post has been edited by fruitflavor: 08 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

#28 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostHoshigumo, on 08 March 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

I totally misread and wholeheartedly apologize. Brain at 3am + reading off iPhone + no glasses = stupid me. Also, the last reply to this was back on February 8th and...yeah. Seeing this again made me frustrated and I probably did do some projecting (strike that, "obviously" since I read several questions wrong). I really am sorry for sounding aggressive when you're trying to help.

No, when I posted originally, this thing was still up for auction on eBay and I didn't think the image would still work by now. The lettering on the barrel fit the character in a cute sort of way, and the hearts on the grip were adorable. Completely not her, but probably something she'd have had as a kid. I think it was cast metal rather than plastic. Most all of the guns I've seen in this style are cast. And I realize props don't HAVE to be perfect, but but I'd like to get it at least close to what it's supposed to be and really have been looking for months both in bricks-and-mortar stores and online. Nada. Either they're little pepperbox-type guns or automatics. Or perfect and too freaking expensive. /grumblemutterbrood

Apologies again.

Have you stalked ebay too? I know it sounds a little "duh factor" -I'm not intending to be rude- but the search terms you use on ebay really make all the difference. I always have some 5-10ish tabs of searches running for an item, including misspellings (eBay is rife with them on the simplest things, ie "POKEYMAN" / "POKEYMON", "LEDGIND OF ZELLDA", "TOTTORRO", "FINAL FANTASY XII" (12) when they mean VII (7), etc... OTL). If you type in very specific terms you're almost guaranteed to not find it (unless an expert is posting, and thus no "super bargains" will be had :< ). Most often those misspelling or otherwise clearly "I have no clue" will list their thing redonkulously cheap (I've seen a full set of 1998 KFC Pokemon beanies go for <$15, when that set can easily run $15-20 per individual item within). If you just looked for official naming and wording like used at this link you gave, you'll only get that kind, yeah..... but not any of the listings from the hundreds to thousands of clueless ebayers who'd list that as "shiny metallic revolver gun prop toy new/used" (which is sadly how most folk list these days -- no details, so you need a trained eye & patience). Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far the hardest part is finding something of a revolver shape that would be workable that's not cast metal, and not over around $20 (high-end estimate), right? If you'd like I can keep my eyes on ebay (I'm on there a lot anyway) for cheap similar-looking ones, or general plastic/toy revolvers that could have the barrel snipped/cut/sawed off easily enough (I say plastic since the cheapest stuff can literally be cut with a standard steak knife, and the somewhat thicker kind with either a bigger knife or a small handsaw). I've got a test run going now completed below for you, if it helps any.

At first search there, would something like this one, if the barrel was chopped down, and the trigger/lock removed, be an acceptable temporary measure (painted however needed with super-cheap acrylics)? It's listed as plastic, so it should cut readily enough, from which hot glue should fuse the orange area nicely. (It does say it's cap in the listing, but looks cheap enough to take apart with ease.) Or what of this plastic one, if the tip were shortened & the colors made as you need? Or... maybe this watergun (it has the same shape as the first metal reference pic you made), if the tip is made orange and painted as needed for your character (just can't have water in it)? Possibly not the best examples, but as I have no idea what the character is or what their gun looks like... sorta doing the best possible on two realistic reference shots lol.

If I missed anything of broke off sentences in odd places, do let me know; I'm on like 4 tumblr sites at once while trying to write a paper (lol) and figure out why Paypal suddenly hates my BoA.

View PostGurgle Foo, on 08 March 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

Would a solid black purse shaped like a tommy gun or pistol be okay? They has zippers and an nondetachable straps, but I could put some orange tape on them if you guys think they would considered replicas... I bought them at a costume store and haven't had trouble wearing them in public before, but I figured its better to ask now then get in trouble later. Thanks!

Do you have any pictures of it? It's hard to say without a reference image.

#29 User is offline   Gurgle Foo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 11072

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 08 March 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Do you have any pictures of it? It's hard to say without a reference image.

So here are the product pics for the purses I was talking about... these are from the manufacture's websites (something is wrong with cam atm and is getting fixed), hope this helps.

Tommy Gun Purse: http://www.rastaimpo...y_Gun_Purse.htm
Pistols Purse: http://www.legavenue...s/purses/A1917/

#30 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostGurgle Foo, on 08 March 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

So here are the product pics for the purses I was talking about... these are from the manufacture's websites (something is wrong with cam atm and is getting fixed), hope this helps.

Tommy Gun Purse: http://www.rastaimpo...y_Gun_Purse.htm
Pistols Purse: http://www.legavenue...s/purses/A1917/

Would these be your everyday bags, or part of a costume?

From a distance both look fairly realistic and both clearly have "barrels" so minimally, if the con were to allow these (mainly see "needs to be sufficiently distinguishable from a real one"), I'd imagine they'd at the very /least/ need to have orange tips and be modified to some extent. The pistols look indeed like holstered, REAL pistols, and are even labeled as holsters, not bags or purses or whatever, AND have clear, visible "triggers", so I'm highly doubting those would be allowed. If you were to approach an officer in a dark shirt with those things on, there would very likely be a bad situation waiting to happen. I'd strongly argue against those, and advise against the tommy gun bag unless you were to add hundreds of sequins and sparkles and neon (and the necessary orange tip), or something else to make it inextricably clear it's a very unorthodox purse, not an assault weapon. Caution says best not to bring 'em, but only you can decide whether to bring them and possibly have to store them in your hotel all weekend. :/

At the very least, I'd argue against using this as your main purse at con, or having a backup with you in case you're told to put it away pronto...

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users