Anime Central Forums: Table locations in the artist alley? - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Table locations in the artist alley?

#1 User is offline   Chao-Fangirl 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 19459
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 22-September 08
  • Location:Tennessee

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

I apologize if this is already posted somewhere and I somehow overlooked it, but I was just wondering if the artists will know where they are going to be located in the artist alley prior to the convention? Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Hooked On Chibis! 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59032
  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: 16-November 10
  • Location:New England

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

View PostChao-Fangirl, on 27 April 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

I apologize if this is already posted somewhere and I somehow overlooked it, but I was just wondering if the artists will know where they are going to be located in the artist alley prior to the convention? Thanks in advance.


I'd also like to know if this will happen. Admittedly it doesn't make TONS of difference, as (presumably) tables are tables regardless of where they are, but it helps to be able to tell people "Come see me at table XY!" in advance of the con ^_^
Hooked on Chibis!
Handmade adorableness ~~ custom dolls
http://hookedonchibis.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/hookedonchibis

#3 User is offline   Iris 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3989
  • Posts: 180
  • Joined: 08-March 05
  • Location:Cornfields of southern IL

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'm not staff or anything so I can't say with 100% certainty but the five years I've been in the Acen Artist Alley they've never posted the table guide before the con. So it may not be that way this year, but in the past, you basically get your first peek at where you are when you pick up your badges from the Artist Alley staff.

You can go on Thursday and have plenty of time to start setting up or wait until Friday morning. I think the alley is open to artist setting up an hour or two before the actual alley opens.

#4 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19370
  • Posts: 109
  • Joined: 04-September 08

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

We will not know table placements until we arrive. It was one of the points touched on in the latest e-mail that was sent to us the other day :3

#5 User is offline   Kitchan 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 24242
  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: 15-February 09
  • Location:MD

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

View PostManifested Dreams, on 29 April 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

We will not know table placements until we arrive. It was one of the points touched on in the latest e-mail that was sent to us the other day :3



As Artists' Alley ADH, I can confirm this.

I highly recommend arriving on Thursday for setup because of this (and other points, that were also touched on in the latest email sent to artists). If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, however (PM or email artistalley @ acen.org)
A wild Kit has appeared! What will you do?


#6 User is offline   Chao-Fangirl 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 19459
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 22-September 08
  • Location:Tennessee

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

View PostManifested Dreams, on 29 April 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

We will not know table placements until we arrive. It was one of the points touched on in the latest e-mail that was sent to us the other day :3


The email was sent shortly after I had posted this thread.

My reasons for wanting to know are the same as Hooked on Chibis!. I like to be able to let my fans know where I'm located so they can find me in the artist alley. It's no big deal though if we're not going to know until we get there. I understand why staff would not want to release that info in advance, as I know from being in artist alley at other conventions that it leads to requests to be moved to a "better" spot.

Despite being a nearly 10 hour drive away due to traffic, I will be doing the best I can to get there early enough on Thursday to set up my table with plenty of time to spare, even if it means I have to start the drive real early in the morning.

#7 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

  • Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043
  • Posts: 744
  • Joined: 15-March 05
  • Location:Michigan

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

As stated, due to all kinds of circumstances it's subject to change so we do not release it publicly before the con.

Even though you can't personally advise where you'll be - let your fans know to check the program guide as we DO put a guide there of the layout. We want attendees to find you too. :D
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#8 User is offline   Hooked On Chibis! 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59032
  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: 16-November 10
  • Location:New England

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

As a compromise, is it possible to tell us where in the convention center the alley will be located?

This information is probably already out there someplace, or at least in a familiar setting to regular con-goers, but I've just woken up this morning ^^; so I'm a little slow on the uptake. But a few of my most recent cons have experienced real trouble with con-goers knowing where the AA was located (often because this year it had moved, or separated from the Dealer's Room), and I'd LOVE to be able to say "We'll be in the Artist Alley, which by the way will be located on the X floor, just (left/right/ahead) of the (escalator/stairs)" or similar ^_^ (That way, everyone benefits!!)

Is this possible? Is this already available? Am I behind the times??? *flails about in a panic*
Hooked on Chibis!
Handmade adorableness ~~ custom dolls
http://hookedonchibis.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/hookedonchibis

#9 User is offline   Iris 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3989
  • Posts: 180
  • Joined: 08-March 05
  • Location:Cornfields of southern IL

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

In the past the artist alley has been smack dab in between the registration and the dealers room. So there is almost no way at all to miss it.

#10 User is offline   Kitchan 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 24242
  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: 15-February 09
  • Location:MD

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

View PostHooked On Chibis!, on 03 May 2011 - 09:29 AM, said:

As a compromise, is it possible to tell us where in the convention center the alley will be located?

This information is probably already out there someplace, or at least in a familiar setting to regular con-goers, but I've just woken up this morning ^^; so I'm a little slow on the uptake. But a few of my most recent cons have experienced real trouble with con-goers knowing where the AA was located (often because this year it had moved, or separated from the Dealer's Room), and I'd LOVE to be able to say "We'll be in the Artist Alley, which by the way will be located on the X floor, just (left/right/ahead) of the (escalator/stairs)" or similar ^_^ (That way, everyone benefits!!)

Is this possible? Is this already available? Am I behind the times??? *flails about in a panic*


Artists' Alley is in Hall A, past Registration and before the Exhibit Hall. (There's a booth between the Alley and the Hall - that's the Exhibit Space staff booth, by the way, and staffers will be circulating through the Alley if you have any questions/need us, etc.)
A wild Kit has appeared! What will you do?


#11 User is offline   shady 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 46336
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 20-December 09

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on 01 May 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

Even though you can't personally advise where you'll be - let your fans know to check the program guide as we DO put a guide there of the layout. We want attendees to find you too. :D


I'll certainly be able to live without knowing where any specific table is beforehand, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I'd understand it if meant that configuring the layout was left until the last minute to ensure that it would be all up to date (not that it'd be the end of the world if it wasn't 100% correct), but the fact that there will be a published layout in the guidebook means that it will be configured ahead of time. In that case, what would be the benefit of making everyone wait to see it?

Again, it's not that big of a deal. It just seems unnecessary.

#12 User is offline   Voltaire30 

  • Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053
  • Posts: 968
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Location:Lake Villa

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

View Postshady, on 04 May 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

I'll certainly be able to live without knowing where any specific table is beforehand, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I'd understand it if meant that configuring the layout was left until the last minute to ensure that it would be all up to date (not that it'd be the end of the world if it wasn't 100% correct), but the fact that there will be a published layout in the guidebook means that it will be configured ahead of time. In that case, what would be the benefit of making everyone wait to see it?

Again, it's not that big of a deal. It just seems unnecessary.


Well to be honest, it relates to a similar issue regarding why we don't alert people who are wait listed that the list is moving up.

We got a lot of very negative feedback, and even some very disturbingly hurtful feedback, regarding our previous waiting list notification set-up, and distributing layout positions pre-con as well.
I do not feel it would be fair to my team, to experience the same type of degradation I witnessed, because someone thinks one spot is better than another. Posted Image

That being said, you raise a valid point, and I will do my best to throw a layout up on the website, as soon as we shut down and leave for con. So people can print it out before they leave and know where their favorite Artists are, and even where they may be. I'm not making that a promise, but it is now something I have on my to-do list. If all goes well, hopefully, there should be no reason why we should hold onto that type of information in the future, or ever again :)

On a separate note, I will be tossing up a quick poll in the AA section of the forums (this section) to get everyone's opinion on when topics should be cleaned/moved into the Archives. I am not a fan of clutter, but I don't want to move something that is still very valuable to you, the Artists. Posted Image
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users