• This topic is locked

Wig Stretching? HELP MY SQUISHED BRAINS! D:

#1 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

So, I have my wig for Luffy, and it's styled all nice and everything, except it gets
a little too tight around my head after wearing it for long periods of time. I get
a headache, and it feels like my brains are getting squished.

Is there any way I can stretch the netting to make it a little bigger, so it doesn't
suffocate my head? Will just stretching it over a big ball or something make it bigger? :lol:

Thanks in advance for any advice~ :heart:

ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#2 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:05 PM

I had a similar issue with my Motoko wig. For me, I really just wore it a lot for long periods of time to stretch it. Also when I would put it on I would make sure to pull it as far as I could so it could fit around my head, and then I would just wear it for long periods of time before the con. It allowed the wig to stretch/let me get used to it so at the con I was fine wearing the wig even though it was a teensy bit tight.

Hope this helps. ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#3 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 25 April 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

I had a similar issue with my Motoko wig. For me, I really just wore it a lot for long periods of time to stretch it. Also when I would put it on I would make sure to pull it as far as I could so it could fit around my head, and then I would just wear it for long periods of time before the con. It allowed the wig to stretch/let me get used to it so at the con I was fine wearing the wig even though it was a teensy bit tight.

Hope this helps. ^_^

*nodnod* Yes, it helps! :D I will continue to wear it, then, to stretch it out!
Hopefully it gets bigger by ACen or else my head will hate me. T_______T

ACen '12

#4 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

If nothing else, find a good friend with a bigger head, and have them wear it for a shorter amount of time.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#5 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

I think wearing it for a while could stretch it out... But I'm not sure. :\ I've heard of people like, cut their wig cap and add more fabric to make it bigger, but I have no idea what the outcome could be.
I have the same problem though, my head is HUGE. In marching band I wear an XL helmet size, my head is even bigger than my Dad's. ;_; So after 2-3 hours my head starts hurting like hell, ibuprofen usually really helps though. :)

#6 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

You could also go to sally's beauty supplies and see what they would recomend, or a wig store. Both tend to be very helpful when dealing with wigs and how to help your head. *gives you a cold pack for your poor brains*
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#7 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

I haven't had this issue >__> maybe my head is tiny? "I think its a decent size"

but if I had the problem I'd either do what everyone else says, or just stretch the bands that go around your head
for a few minutes a day with out losing its snug feeling so it doesn't just fall off like a Tupi'

My friend is having this issue and hes got a tiny head XD I don't see how wigs are so mean sometimes.
But I'm sure I'm nominated to stretch it out for him before next month.
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#8 User is offline   KeySmash 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 58635

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

I also wear the wig around to help it stretch. I also put in on a wig head for awhile.
Cosplays 2014~
Yachiru "Retsu" Unohana (BLEACH)
Otohime (One Piece)
Katara: Southern Raiders (Avatar)

#9 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:49 PM

Sorry I haven't responded, but I do read each and every comment, so thank you thank you
everyone for all of your help! :o And KeySmash, I can't believe that didn't cross my
mind before. I have a TON of wig heads from the salon I work at that I use to put all
of my wigs on, but I don't have enough to put Luffy on one, I'll just switch him out with
someone else, and that can stretch the cap for me maybe! :D

*shall try this right away!*

ACen '12

#10 User is offline   KeySmash 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 58635

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

View PostAiko☆Noble, on 27 April 2011 - 11:49 PM, said:

Sorry I haven't responded, but I do read each and every comment, so thank you thank you
everyone for all of your help! :o And KeySmash, I can't believe that didn't cross my
mind before. I have a TON of wig heads from the salon I work at that I use to put all
of my wigs on, but I don't have enough to put Luffy on one, I'll just switch him out with
someone else, and that can stretch the cap for me maybe! :D

*shall try this right away!*

Hahahaha I'm glad that I could help.
Cosplays 2014~
Yachiru "Retsu" Unohana (BLEACH)
Otohime (One Piece)
Katara: Southern Raiders (Avatar)

#11 User is offline   Hikari189 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3666

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

Just wondering, did you happen to add any wefts in or alter the wig in any way other than normal styling. I've run into the problem where I've used the wig head as a base while I'm sewing in wefts and everything seems fine and then I tried to put it on my head and suddenly my wig that fit before no longer fits because the wig head that I was using isn't as large as my head. So if that's the case for you then the solution might be something as simple as shifting the additional wefts a little for a better fit.
Video Gaming Staff 2012ADH of Exhibit Hall 2010-11Exhibit Hall staff 2009

#12 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

View PostHikari189, on 01 May 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

Just wondering, did you happen to add any wefts in or alter the wig in any way other than normal styling. I've run into the problem where I've used the wig head as a base while I'm sewing in wefts and everything seems fine and then I tried to put it on my head and suddenly my wig that fit before no longer fits because the wig head that I was using isn't as large as my head. So if that's the case for you then the solution might be something as simple as shifting the additional wefts a little for a better fit.

Actually, no! I haven't done anything at all to this wig, I haven't even snipped one hair off of it. :lol:
And I usually do stuff to the wigs when I get them. But, Luffy's hair is so normal, there's nothing I really
have to do, haha. I can see where you're coming from, though. But I hear China wigs just run small a lot,
so I'll have to deal with it. T_T

ACen '12

#13 User is offline   Emrys 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9223

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

Only the elastic around the base of the wig will be able to stretch. You can always adjust the snaps in the back or make the elastic a little longer. But if the shape is too small or the wefts are too short (like they don't wrap all the way around to the front) there isn't much you can do without taking a lot of risk.
ACen 2013 plans:
Terra w/ FFVI group
Malory Archer w/ Archer group

(maybe)
Mabel Pines w/ Gravity Falls group
Fionna and Cake (regular and ballgown) w/ Ice Queen

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users