Anime Central Forums: Akira...or erm Allen - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Akira...or erm Allen Is Hollywood Whitewashing Akira?

#1 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

So Warner Bros. wants to do the film Akira, the popular manga by Katsuhiro Otomo. However there is a HUGE problem.

The movie news site Deadline has posted what it said are "short lists" of actors who were given the script for the live-action remake of Katsuhiro Otomo's manga Akira. According to the site, the actors being considered for Kaneda are:

* Garrett Hedlund (TRON: Legacy's Sam Flynn)
* Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class's Magneto)
* Chris Pine (Star Trek's James Kirk)
* Justin Timberlake (The Social Network's Sean Parker)
* Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line's Johnny Cash)

According to Deadline, the actors being considered for Tetsuo are:

* Robert Pattinson (Twilight's Edward)
* Andrew Garfield (The Amazing Spider-Man's Peter Parker)
* James McAvoy (X-Men: First Class's Charles Xavier)

Warner Bros. had not responded to ANN's request for comment at press time.

Warner Bros. and Leonardo Dicaprio's Appian Way revealed in 2008 that they had acquired the rights to adapt Akira into a live-action Hollywood film, with Gary Whitta later attached to write the script. Since then, Book of Eli co-director Albert Hughes and Harry Potter scriptwriter Steve Kloves have been brought on to the project.

DiCaprio had stated that he would produce the film (along with the live-action adaptation of Yoshiaki Kawajiri's anime Ninja Scroll), but would not act in it. Last year, a representative for Hughes and his brother Allen Hughes dismissed reports that Zac Efron would be starring in Akira.

This is a old article from Anime News Network. But the main problem is not only the huge age difference (the characters were teens in this movie), but in the US version they are caucasian. This has caused quite a stir in the Anime/Asian community. For anime fans, its a whitewash. Mostly white actors playing asian characters and changing their names to appeal to the U.S.

George Takei has stepped in and told Warner Brothers to do the right thing and not to make this movie.

George Takei: It’s not a surprise because that’s been a Hollywood tradition. For example, when I was very young, I read Pearl Buck’s epic novel of China, The Good Earth. And that film, all of the principal major roles were cast with Caucasians. As a matter of fact, Luise Rainer, who played the wife, won an Oscar for that. Paul Muni was her husband. It’s an old Hollywood tradition that we’ve always been battling, not just Hollywood but Broadway too, if you remember Miss Saigon and the furor over that. So, no, I really wasn’t surprised, but the audience has changed now, and I’m surprised Warner Bros. is not keeping up with the audience. The manga and anime phenomenon is mostly white in this country. It originated in Japan, and, of course, it has a huge Asian fan following. But it’s the multi-ethnic Americans who are fans of Akira and manga. The idea of buying the rights to do that and in fact change it seems rather pointless. If they’re going to do that, why don’t they do something original, because what they do is offend Asians, number 1; number 2, they offend the fans. The same thing happened with M. Night Shyamalan. He cast his project [The Last Airbender] with non-Asians and it’s an Asian story, and the film flopped. I should think that they would learn from that, but I guess big studios go by rote, and the tradition in Hollywood has always been to buy a project, change it completely and flop with it. I think it’s pointless, so I thought I would save Warner Bros. a bit of failure by warning them of what will most likely happen if they continue in that vein.

Here's more from Mr. Sulu
http://www.advocate....he_Right_Thing/

So what's your take on this controversy? But lets keep it civil with no flameouts. I will monitor this topic. Lets have a healthy discussion about this and tell me how you feel about this sensitive subject.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#2 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

This one will not vibe with fans of Akira. There are things that should be better left alone, and Akira is one of them. To cast white actors to play Asian characters is nothing new in Hollywood. I mean Charlie Chan was played by a white actor. They couldn't find an actor of Asian descent to play him, but instead cast a white guy and made him up to look completely Asian. So are they saying that Asian actors and actresses aren't marketable in Hollywood? There's plenty of well-known talented actors and actresses in Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea I could go on and on, but Hollywood looks the other way and goes to people like Robert Pattinson or Zac Efron, marketable, well-known actors to do this film. This is clearly an issue that will never go away.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)

#3 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

D= I don't want Akria to go to Hollywood and be changed a crap ton. :thumbdown:
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#4 User is offline   delial 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59936

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

http://www.cracked.c...n-akira-remake/

http://www.cracked.c...than-you-think/

does anyone remember dragon ball? no, because it sucked. its not even worth being mad about.
Uso Mitai na I Love You

#5 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

Ok....start off saying I am a hardcore Akira fan. I seen the movie tons of times and I wanted to buy THE JACKET. I wanted the bike in real life and started the whole motorcycle thing straight from that movie (I seen it when I was like six or so.)

Besides that the only issue I personally have is the age and the script. The whole 'not asian,' thing is silly. But many people are bias when it comes to something they like. Akira is hardcore old school. People who like it is going to revolt of course but I just find it funny that Death note did it in Japan, (Death note had Japanese actors playing American ones,) as well as a few other anime to movies that had a USA setting and nobody say a word about that.

As long as it doesn't end up like Street Fighter or Dragon ball I don't mind watching it. I seen worse movies. I still didn't know if I enjoyed Final Fantasy AC or not.

Asian actors are hard to bring over to America. There is the language barrier, passport issues, will they do it or not, will they make enough money, the whole 'Americans,' etc. They was going to make a DBZ movie with asian actors but since one actor in question wasn't going to be Goku he turned it down so they ended up bringing the DB movie that we make fun of today.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#6 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

View Postdelial, on 20 April 2011 - 09:55 PM, said:

http://www.cracked.c...n-akira-remake/

http://www.cracked.c...than-you-think/

does anyone remember dragon ball? no, because it sucked. its not even worth being mad about.

Wow...just...wow! Even the script. I dont even recognize the manga. Sad really.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#7 User is offline   Professor_Hojo @_@ 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10054

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

While I totally agree with George Takei about it, I think the movie shouldn't be made not because of white washing, but how much the movie will suck and because most of the people who are even familiar with the original source material, probably won't want to see it because of how much the film will deviate from the original stuff.
ACen '12 Cosplays!!: ??????????????????

Visit me on Facebook! Tumblr! Twitter! DeviantArt!

#8 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

I don't necessarily have a huge issue against the "white washing". While in the particular case of Akira it does take place in Japan, in anime all characters pretty much look the same (unless they're black, native American, or an inhuman color like green). A certain level of localization is okay by me so long as they stay close to the source. The writing would be my concern though, especially since Hollywood has so thoroughly proven that it can't handle adapting anime/manga.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#9 User is offline   delial 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59936

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

what kind of mass american audience would watch something like akira anyway? the idea that they would try to hack and mold it into something so that your typical 12-21 would go see it is...exactly this production's problem.

i say 12-21, more or less, because its the bracket that hollywood seems to think is the only demographic worth investing in. and even then it assumes this demographic is filled with nothing but idiotic people who love the cheesy smell of pop culture flop movies.
Uso Mitai na I Love You

#10 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

While i'm not really offended or mad about the "whitewash" (don't get me started on the double standard this can be)I'm more with the "this movie is gonna be crap" bus. Akira shouldn't be adapted. It needs to be left where it is at.

Also I disagree with the "The Last Airbender flopping because it was no asians in the cast" the movie flopped because it was just horrible. lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#11 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Its hollywood, and they will ruin everything.

i mean look at a great (multi time great at that) cartoon like transformers.the cartoon movie was 10 times better then the actual movie. Which in reality was 25% explosions, 25% toilet humor and stereotype humor, and 50% megan fox.

also look at the dbz movie, or even street fighter the legend of chung li...

This post has been edited by Kasin: 24 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#12 User is offline   Lord Warhammer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11892

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

I don't care. I would want them to pick the actors based on their ability not "hey we need an asian" because this takes place in japan. At the same time, nothing is stopping Hollywood from changing the location either.
Artist Alley Assistant Department Head!
myspace, facebook, youtube, and photobucket links are on my about me page.
ACEN cosplays.. time to plan plan plan.

I go to and staff many cons. Let's have a blast!

#13 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

View PostKasin, on 24 April 2011 - 05:27 PM, said:

Its hollywood, and they will ruin everything.

i mean look at a great (multi time great at that) cartoon like transformers.the cartoon movie was 10 times better then the actual movie. Which in reality was 25% explosions, 25% toilet humor and stereotype humor, and 50% megan fox.

also look at the dbz movie, or even street fighter the legend of chung li...

Can't use Transformers as an example because I know a lot of Transformers fans that liked it. I.....haven't seen all of them >_>; Manly because I didn't like the cheesecake I seen in the clips of the second movie. I was like 'noooooooooo.' and face palmed hard.

The asian guy from star track made a comment about whitewashing hollywood. I can't post the link now because it's on sankakau but going to try to find it normally.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#14 User is offline   Ginger shark 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59478

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

Not looking forward to this at all. I am curious to see how awful the movie will be but I am not going to spend money to see it in the theater. I will just wait until it comes out on Netflix. When I first heard that a live action Akira movie was being made I had mixed feelings. I thought it could be cool if it was made in Japan with a Japanese cast. Now that I know it is a Hollywood movie with a white cast I don't even want it to be made. Akira was my first anime and it was what got me into watching anime in the first place. I don't want to see an anime movie that is such a classic destroyed by Hollywood. The list of people I am seeing considered for the roles makes me shudder with horror. This is just going to be just like the live action movie of Dragonball which was absolutely horrible.

#15 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

guys...

what if

what if we made the movie with clay

clay

guys

guys

clay

noone would be white

cuase

guys

guys

guys

cuase they'd be clay
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users