Anime Central Forums: How do you feel about taking videos of cosplayers instead of pics? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

How do you feel about taking videos of cosplayers instead of pics?

#1 User is offline   milkis13 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59453

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

When I went to Ohayocon in January, I brought my camcorder with me which can also take photos. I figured that even though it could take pics, if it had a video option, I should utilize it.

Asking people if I could take a video of them was extremely awkward, though. (I'm not a 40 year old man; I'm a 14-year-old female)

When asking, I tried to be as polite as possible:

Me: Um, excuse me, may I please take a video of you?
Cosplayer: Uhh... a video?
Me: Yeah.
Cosplayer: Okay...
Me: Just wave your sword or sing a song, anything really. Please?
Cosplayer: Okay... *strikes pose*

I figured that videos would better capture the cosplayer's enthusiasm and how they interpret their character. In a picture, they do a pose and they're done, but in a video they can strike multiple poses, do a rap (I had a Killer Bee cosplay do a rap for me once), dance or sing.

Anyway, every cosplayer that I've asked for a video has said yes, but if someone felt truly uncomfortable or just didn't want their video to be taken, all they have to do is say it.

How do you guys feel about this?
As a cosplayer, which do you prefer, video or photographs?

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Fudgi P0pZ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9430

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

Hm, I won't lie, but if someone were to ask me that, I'd probably be taken aback.

Not so much by the fact that I'm being videotaped, but just because that's not what I would be expecting to fall out of their mouth. xD

Usually, people ask about taking pictures, so saying 'video' might simply throw them off for a bit. I'm sure that if you ask politely and explain your reasoning, they'll understand. (And from what I see here, many people were accommodating for you. ^^) Also, a lot of the times, if someone is taking video, they usually don't ask (I'm not encouraging this). Probably since it's like rolling footage... usually, the film just keeps going and the person might forget to stop and ask. I don't have any personal experience with this though, it's only what I've seen. ^^

Good luck and I do believe you're fine. The person in question always has the right to turn you down otherwise! Good luck. ^^
..::..2014 Cosplay Goals..::..
.: Aisha ClanClan:.

Keeping it light this year! :)

Thanks Neskaya for the lovely avatar.

#3 User is offline   Adnarim 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 36259

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

Like Fudgi said --- I honestly would be taken aback too. HOWEVER, if you were to ask me and then tell me why then I honestly would be fine with it.

As a cosplayer, I would prefer photo---but again, as I mentioned I would be fine with video too.

#4 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59762

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

YES. YES. JUST YES. Videos are the best! I'd prefer to do an improv skit for a camera than strike a pose any day. I am new to this, so I'm not used to pictures(personally I feel like it would be a little weird if someone asked me for my picture, even if they do like my cosplay...do they send it to you later?), but I think that videos would be just as good, IMO better. ^^
ACen 2011: Norway[Hetalia], casual!Prussia[Hetalia], child!Third Doctor[Doctor Who]

vFuture ideas
gijinka!K-9[Doctor Who]60%, gijinka!Intelligence Core[Portal]40%, normal!Jade[Homestuck]50%, Duelist Kingdom!Bakura[YuGiOh]5%, student!Evangeline[Negima!?]50%, Lieutenant!Aizen[Bleach]30%

I'm open for costume-designing commissions!

#5 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17804

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

Uhm, I would totally perform for a video. Because I have. Totally. Before. I discovered a video with me in it after Anime Milwaukee. I was a little mortified because I was SO GOSH DARNED IN CHARACTER but then I was running the Maid Cafe and was a little stressed..... wow. Yeah.

Anyway, I'm in a pair cosplay, so I guess I'd interact with my partner.
ACen '07 Cosplay: Mamimi from FLCL
ACen '08 Cosplay: Akari-chan from Aria the Animation
ACen '09 Cosplay: Mithos from Tales of Symphonia
ACen '10 Cosplay: Shinooka from Oofuri/Big Windup!
ACen '11 Cosplay: Ayase from No Money (Okane ga nai!)
ACen '11 Cosplay: Adele from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
ACen '12 Cosplay: TinTin from 'The Adventures of TinTin'
ACen '13 Cosplay: Hibari from Senran Kagura

#6 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

I'm not sure which I'd like...i think it would depend on the cosplay. For Sailor Pluto there was SO much I wanted to do and so little time in photoshoots that I would have loved a video so i could swing my staff around and yell out her attacks....on the other hand Yoruichi without an opponent or Anthy without an Utena is better captured in photographs because I'm not sure what I could do in a video..

Also - I freeze up when I know I'm being watched sometimes so I would probably love the idea of video and say yes then be like in my head "oh crap what do i DO!!!!!!!"
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#7 User is offline   Damien 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59310

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

Personally I would love someone to take a video, I like it when fans create Convention Montages and things like that. Example: "Acen 2011 FanVideo".
Since I like acting more in character rather then being me at a convention lol. ^^

#8 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

I like video that showcases the costumes and is well executed...
like This

I dont care for the typical "walk around and shoot random video" deal.
Masquerade video is alright.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#9 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

I think it would be cool to be in a video, so long as the video was used properly. Videoing can be fun.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#10 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

I think it would be cool, and like others I would be taken aback and quite flattered. It's a great idea, and then you could even use clips of the video to make photos out of them. If you asked me or anyone did I'd say yes. I think most people if not 99% would not mind at all if you took a video of them. :)
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#11 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

View Postmilkis13, on 17 April 2011 - 10:11 AM, said:

When I went to Ohayocon in January, I brought my camcorder with me which can also take photos. I figured that even though it could take pics, if it had a video option, I should utilize it.

Go for it! I've done a little, but I want to try and construct a video of cosplay next (maybe for ACEN).

View PostR1KKu, on 17 April 2011 - 12:24 PM, said:

I like video that showcases the costumes and is well executed...
like This
I dont care for the typical "walk around and shoot random video" deal.
Masquerade video is alright.

Exactly, that guy has skills and I like his videos (when the music appeals to me). He uses some serious stabilization equipment. I'm not exactly sure what he uses, but a common one called the "StediCam Merlin" is around $800... The ones that attach to the waist are $1000 - $5000. -_-

#12 User is offline   Damien 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59310

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

View PostScott, on 17 April 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

Go for it! I've done a little, but I want to try and construct a video of cosplay next (maybe for ACEN).

Exactly, that guy has skills and I like his videos (when the music appeals to me). He uses some serious stabilization equipment. I'm not exactly sure what he uses, but a common one called the "StediCam Merlin" is around $800... The ones that attach to the waist are $1000 - $5000. -_-

Yea, I met him last year at Youmacon and this Year at Ohayocon. Im in one of videos: Here at 3:06, Its pretty cool, I like his Equipment.

#13 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

I wouldn't mind doing that in my costume since my character is aggressive. More of a reason to lash out in anger.

This post has been edited by nouseforaname: 17 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#14 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

I'm used to pictures, so I guess I'm not really sure if I like video better or not.

But I have to agree, this vid is amazing!
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#15 User is offline   milkis13 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59453

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

I'm afraid that my videos aren't as incredible as acksonl's, but they're a lot more fun to create than just taking pics. It gives you much more of a chance to interact with cosplayers. I haven't cosplayed yet; I know it's a lot of fun, but I don't have the money to buy any of the costumes I want to wear.

As I was making videos, I really appreciated the enthusiastic cosplayers. In particular, I remember a Luffy cosplayer who asked me if he could be in the video. I was going to ask him anyway, actually. XD Then he did some awesome second gear posing and pulled at his skin as if it were rubber.

It always makes me happy to meet cosplayers like that. :D

This post has been edited by milkis13: 17 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

#16 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

You have a huge advantage, being a 14 year old female. Remember, being 40 and taking videos is a problem for a lot of people (as you have pointed out.)

Just ask. The worst thing that will happen is that they will say no. The world won't end because of it. And it's more their loss than yours.
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#17 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:08 AM

View Postmilkis13, on 17 April 2011 - 05:16 PM, said:

I'm afraid that my videos aren't as incredible as acksonl's, but they're a lot more fun to create than just taking pics. It gives you much more of a chance to interact with cosplayers. I haven't cosplayed yet; I know it's a lot of fun, but I don't have the money to buy any of the costumes I want to wear.

Just know if you do cosplay, you will be spend a lot of your time posing if it is recognizable. Kind of a trade-off. :lol:

I just threw together a little video of the last convention I went to. I walked around the convention floor a bit with the video on to capture the feel of the place. Before anyone says anything, yeah, most of the stuff is out of focus. It was kind of intentional. :lol: I just guessed on the focus and had the camera set to a wide aperture.

#18 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

A video would be fun! I'd be a little shocked, but I'd happily do a bit for the camera. :3

Also, the videos posted in the thread are great.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#19 User is offline   Dee 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19425

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

Oh man, I think I want to make a fun fanvideo when I go to acen. XD
ACen 2014
Morgiana - Magi (Friday)
Rivaille - Attack on Titan (Saturday)
Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece (Sunday)

#20 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

Came kinda late but wanted to say just try it.

I personally wouldn't mind or care besides the whole omg my voice is going to sound weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird thing ._.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#21 User is offline   Dee 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

Most people don't like their voices. XD
ACen 2014
Morgiana - Magi (Friday)

#22 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59762

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

I don't mind my voice and if I choose the right character I can pull off a smashing accent. The only problem is my normal accent which is incredibly obscure...kind of an east English accent watered down by midwest American to the point that only silent r's and hard t's remain...any ideas of something else I can try for Norway? Or maybe some reference for the Norwegian accent? I'll be set with Lithuania 'cause I saw him and heard his voice in the dub. Norway hasn't been dubbed yet...
ACen 2011: Norway[Hetalia], casual!Prussia[Hetalia], child!Third Doctor[Doctor Who]

vFuture ideas
gijinka!K-9[Doctor Who]60%, gijinka!Intelligence Core[Portal]40%, normal!Jade[Homestuck]50%, Duelist Kingdom!Bakura[YuGiOh]5%, student!Evangeline[Negima!?]50%, Lieutenant!Aizen[Bleach]30%

I'm open for costume-designing commissions!

#23 User is offline   Dee 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

Speaking of Hetalia. I'll probably bring my Belarus. I don't really try to speak it. XD
ACen 2014
Morgiana - Magi (Friday)

#24 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 18 April 2011 - 07:29 PM, said:

Came kinda late but wanted to say just try it.

I personally wouldn't mind or care besides the whole omg my voice is going to sound weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird thing ._.

Since you cosplay America, just shove a burger or straw in your mouth. Voice problem easily dealt with. ;P
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

#25 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

View PostTrini, on 18 April 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

Since you cosplay America, just shove a burger or straw in your mouth. Voice problem easily dealt with. ;P

Exactly. :thumbup: (started watching the show a few weeks ago)

#26 User is offline   Dee 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

D-Don't watch it. Please read the comics. The anime is so gay. XD Literally.
ACen 2014
Morgiana - Magi (Friday)

#27 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

No! He has to watch it. Well, the dub at least. If not for the show, then for dem accents. Oh my God those accents...
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:

#28 User is offline   Dee 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

Those accents are terrible. They're so.../facepalm'd. Haha, you will get a laugh though...China sounds like a peodophile. XD /was China in '09
ACen 2014
Morgiana - Magi (Friday)

#29 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

I honestly have no idea what I would do for a video lol, so I would be a little apprehensive.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#30 User is offline   Dee 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

I've been meaning to do vlogs and stuff for fun for quite some time. XD I should come up with what to do, when I start filming. I'm a very shy person too.
ACen 2014
Morgiana - Magi (Friday)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users