Tokyopop is shutting down.

#31 User is offline   xChibiSorax 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58910

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

I just found out about this today and now I'm so sadd T.T
Tokyopop was the first company I read a lot of my first manga from. To hear it's shutting down, meeh... :(
"Excuse me while I write down your name in my DEATHNOTE."

~ACen 2012 Cosplays~

o Kingdom Hearts 2 Sora
o Matryoshka Kaiko
(maybe)

#32 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

I blame scanlators. Bastards.

Anyways, my moral issue aside, does that means TokyoPop manga's prices are gonna drop soon?
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#33 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

View PostSnow_Storm, on 01 May 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

Anyways, my moral issue aside, does that means TokyoPop manga's prices are gonna drop soon?

It's probably going to cost the same but just be harder to find.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#34 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

Ach--just when I was looking into Bizenghast! Nooooo....

This is bad news overall. I have a selection of titles from them, but I do admit that it's been a while since I've seriously seen a TokyoPop title that I can say I've liked enough to buy (and I really try not to read manga online). Most of my recent purchases have been Del Rey and Viz/Shonen Jump...
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#35 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

One of their biggest problems has been the fact that they really never did follow up on things and were constantly changing what they did with admistration. T_T
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#36 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

Wondering who is going to pick up the titles of popular series now that Tokyopop is out?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#37 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

Is it official that the other parts of the company will not being distributing in america? last time i checked ANN said they didn't confirm it, and are going by the release schedule posted until told otherwise.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#38 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

they're selling their stuff on Craigs list. Apparently if you can pull down their neon sign and get it out of their building it's yours.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#39 User is offline   proxy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19396

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

I was one manga way from finishing Alice in the Country of Hearts. ;-;

#40 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

wow...their selling everything...huh?
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#41 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

This is sad...I love a lot of their series.

"On May 24, Tokyopop stated that the manga they licensed would revert to their original respective owners, who may license the titles to other companies." <- Pulled from Wikipedia, so who knows how accurate this is.

Hope the stuff that isn't finished get licensed to other companies.

EDIT: What does this mean for the series already out? For example, I don't have all of the Fruits Basket/DNAngel mangas. Are they just going to stop making them? Or is someone else going to take that over? If they're going to stop making them I need to get my butt over to Borders quick...And I've completely fallen in love with V.B.Rose. I will be so insanely sad if it's not finished...

This post has been edited by Washu Takahashi: 31 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#42 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 31 May 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

EDIT: What does this mean for the series already out? For example, I don't have all of the Fruits Basket/DNAngel mangas. Are they just going to stop making them? Or is someone else going to take that over? If they're going to stop making them I need to get my butt over to Borders quick...

I would think it means they aren't going to print them anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those series finished? Assuming so they'll just be out of print and become harder and harder to find.

But stuff like Hetalia will be able to be relicensed, and I would be so surprised if it's not picked up right away. I don't know what other series TokyoPop had, or how popular they were.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#43 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

I almost finished my sister's collection of Sgt. Frog at ACen. I think I'm only missing about 5 volumes. Those shouldn't be too hard to find since I think most of them are the more newer volumes. Hopefully it will get picked up by another company.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#44 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostRukariou, on 31 May 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

I would think it means they aren't going to print them anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those series finished? Assuming so they'll just be out of print and become harder and harder to find.

But stuff like Hetalia will be able to be relicensed, and I would be so surprised if it's not picked up right away. I don't know what other series TokyoPop had, or how popular they were.

Yes, Fruits Basket is finished (not 100% sure on DNAngel, but I think it's finished too) just haven't got around to finishing by the series. Thankfully I think I'm only missing like 2 from Fruits Basket, but I need like 8 or so DNAngel volumes...not to mention plenty of other titles.

I'm sure popular titles (Hetalia in particular since it's the latest anime/manga craze) will be picked up immediately. I'm worried about ones that weren't so popular and aren't finished though. I'm absolutely in love with V.B.Rose. And apparently there are only two volumes left to be translated...it's unlikely that it'll be finished unfortunately, which would make me super sad because the artwork is simply breathtaking (imo) and the storyline was pretty unique even though it fell into some cliches.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#45 User is offline   RazzBerrieCharm 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60279

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

View PostLina, on 31 May 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

I almost finished my sister's collection of Sgt. Frog at ACen. I think I'm only missing about 5 volumes. Those shouldn't be too hard to find since I think most of them are the more newer volumes. Hopefully it will get picked up by another company.

I hope so too...I love Sgt. Frog!

It's really sad seeing Tokyopop shutting down...I practically grew up with most of their series... :(
ACen 2012 Cosplay: Trainer Leaf/Blue(Pokemon), Carly Nagisa- (Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's)

#46 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

your right.

http://www.animenews...evert-to-owners

#47 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostSnow_Storm, on 01 May 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

While that MIGHT be part of the issue it isnt the whole thing. Manga is generaly over priced in my opinion which left people buying less and less of it, people that couldnt afford it would just read it off the self at Borders.

Also the fact that Borders close too might lead to understand there are just some bigger issues when it comes to the retail of books. And Borders was pretty much where everyone went to get their Manga anyways, so where would you have gotten it from when they all closed?
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users