• This topic is locked

Contacts! Arrrrgh! My first time wearing them... not going well

#1 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17804

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Okay, so forgive this tiny mini rant thing... but... I have to wear contacts for my cosplay this year. There's just no choice, because this particular character is ALL EYES.

I've never had to wear contacts or glasses in my life. Therefore, I have no idea how to put them in. I've just spent two hours struggling to put my contacts in and no luck! I can't do it! It's frustrating!

...Anyone have any helpful hints?? Tips? Should I lean back, lean forward? How do you make your eyes stay open when your finger's coming straight at them??
ACen '07 Cosplay: Mamimi from FLCL
ACen '08 Cosplay: Akari-chan from Aria the Animation
ACen '09 Cosplay: Mithos from Tales of Symphonia
ACen '10 Cosplay: Shinooka from Oofuri/Big Windup!
ACen '11 Cosplay: Ayase from No Money (Okane ga nai!)
ACen '11 Cosplay: Adele from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
ACen '12 Cosplay: TinTin from 'The Adventures of TinTin'
ACen '13 Cosplay: Hibari from Senran Kagura

#2 User is offline   toxlysis 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 16982

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

First of all, make sure that your contacts are legit and won't cause any damage to your eyes. There are a lot of posts about that already though, so I'll skip that part and let you do your own research (which you might already have done anyway! xD). Then, make sure that your putting your contacts on with the right side facing your eye (the lens edges should curve inward to go with the curve of your eye. Sometimes it's hard to see - but putting them in backwards hurt a *lot*). What I usually do is use a finger and my thumb to pull my eyelids. Then with my other hand (or a different finger on the same hand), put the contact on one finger and pop it in, aiming for the center of my eye. Once you get part of it in, the rest will kind of suction to your eye. It's really a mental block your have to get passed.
Unfortunately, it's really all about practice and training yourself not to blink. I've asked my eye doctor, my friends who wear contacts, and my sister who wears them. They all have some helpful tips, but in reality, the only thing that's made it better is practice. I know it's super frustrating (it took me 45 minutes to put contacts in for the first time), just practice putting them in and taking them out a few times a week. You'll get the hang of it. Also, practicing touching your eye with your finger (with clean hands of course) might help you get over the blink reflex without actually having to use your contacts.
That's my experience anyway, maybe others can help you more! :D
ACEN 2012:
Friday: Sleeping
Saturday: Cybergoth
Saturday Night: Kandi Raver
Sunday: Halfcyber Stereotypical Pokemon Goodness

LINKIES: Hardstyle Milwaukee YT

#3 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Ive got to wear Red contacts for my cosplay.

It takes practice for I just wear glasses.
But I've become a pro at putting contacts in for cosplay. :w00t:

HOW TO

Holding my eye lids open.
Hoping I dont drop the contact.
LOTS of moister is a +

Make up AFTERWARDS

Main point, get contact in eye with out ripping it. :pirate2:

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 15 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#4 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

Sometimes it helps to have someone help you get them in the first few times then slowly practice with one, then the other, then both. That's how I learned, but because my eyes are senstive and I would need specific ones I tend to take my glasses off, and just forget about them.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#5 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

.... Maybe I should consider taping my eyes open..... :o

Thanks everyone!

#6 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

Something to consider too. Have you tried useing make up to make your eye appear bigger? There are certain looks that could make your eyes look bigger, and this site mentions these eye drops. Make up for bigger eyes
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#7 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

You dont "need" contacts for a costume, it's just an added touch. Many people go without them because of costs, and their costumes still look amazing.

Also, did you order these on your own or with the help of an eye doctor, because an eye doctor should guide you through putting them in.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#8 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

... Er. On my own...! And I would rather wear them. They make my eyes look cool. And. They cost a lot of money.

Me in my naivete thought it would be easy to put contacts in.

I think I just need practice.

However, I did touch my eye with clean hands and still got it irritated. Maybe I just have bad luck! Yaaaaaaay~

I do ask my friends for advice, though. They've all got contacts.

#9 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

You really do need to go to an eye doctor regardless. Contacts have a base curve and diameter, and a doctor can measure your eyes for these numbers. If you get a pair of contacts with the wrong base curve (especially), you can seriously irritate and possibly damage your eyes. It's not worth risking your vision.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#10 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:40 PM

I agree with R1KKu, you could really hurt your eyes if you got the wrong size.

Pardon the Pause

#11 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

wuh oh. Hmm. I already bought them, but you're right. If I have to not wear them, I have to not wear them.

I wish eye doctors would measure our eyes for free though. D:

Thanks for the helpful advice.

#12 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

(Oh darn--I just finished reading the thread. You better be careful with those lenses, Miss Missy! ::waggles admonishing finger:: )

I have an intense blink reflex when it comes to putting on contacts (or eye drops, or anything really), but here's a trick I use that I have found to work:

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Aside from the placement technique described below, follow the directions from your doctor/on the packaging (wash hands first, cleaning, etc)!! This is just an alternate method of application.

1. Place the contact on the (CLEAN!) finger with which you apply the contact.

2. Gently pull your lower eyelid down with the other hand.

3. Lean forward as far as it is possible to still be able to look at yourself in the mirror clearly.

4. Place the contact on the white part of your eye beneath your iris. The contact may still touch your iris a little, but it shouldn't irritate as much to cause you to blink.

5. Press the contact gently against your eyeball to get rid of any air pockets.

6. Push the contact up a tiny bit toward your iris, release your lower lid, and blink rapidly to shift the contact into place.

For me, this method is easier to put in my lenses than on the side, which is how my eye doctor tried to teach me. I never got used to that way, and I had way more trouble with blinking the contact off before I even got it in place. Hopefully this works for you as well.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#13 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Ooooo my FAVORITE topic in the world.

Contacts!
Measuring: Go to an optometrist first and foremost. They will measure your eyes and a contact prescription is good for a year, even if you don't need a power in the lenses. Getting lenses that are not in your size will cause serious discomfort, irritation, and 6/10 times: infection. Red sclera aren't really nice to look at, especially if they're oozing and bubbling goo. (<-conjunctivitis/pink eye. not fun.)

After you've gone and gotten your prescription:
In preparation:
Eyes are nerves. Intensely sensitive nerves at that. If something is coming at the eye, it is designed to snap shut to protect the eyeball.
Condition yourself to touch the whites of your eyes with a few drops of contact solution (your opto will help you find one that is best for your eyes. While I personally use Opti-free, another person may do better with Complete or Clear Care.) or sterile saline. It will simulate putting in the contact and not let your subconscious go ABORT! ABORT!
First and foremost: Make sure the contact isn't inside out. It hurts something fierce if it is.
When putting the contact in, tilt your face away from your mirror, and aim to place the contact on the white of your eye while holding your lids wide open. It will still have a ton of nerves, but it's not as sensitive as your iris/lens and holding the lids open will prevent them snapping shut like a Venus Flytrap. Once you get the contact in, close your eye and roll your eyes around. You will probably also want to pat down on your closed eye with a tissue to take care of solution and any escaping tears.. it will also allow the lens to settle closer to your eye. The contact should slide into place.

Unless specified for long-term wear, don't wear them for more than 10 hours at a time. NEVER wash your contacts in tap water..it's inviting a breeding ground for bacteria..then you're sticking that directly on your eyeball.

Taking contacts out:
I've seen people have the ability and stomach to reach directly and pinch the contact off their eyeball. Personally, I have to close my eyes, then gently push the lens over with my eyelid (gentle eye rubbing) to get the contact towards the inner corner of my eye. If the contact folds and catches under your eyelid, this is another helpful, painless, and easy way to get it to go where you need it to be.

#14 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

I never wear contacts. I tried putting them on at the eye doctor's once and not only did they hurt like hell but I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to put them in so I stick with glasses. What I usually do for eyesight, is take the glasses off for a costume and randomly take them out of the case and put them on just in case I see something interesting.. or I'm in a panel and I'd like to see. It works just fine.

If you have a costume that has face paint make-up though, GO WITH A FRIEND. It depends on what your eyesight is too. I cant see stuff too far away so I usually go up close, take it off the shelf and just look at it. lol. Works fairly well. ^_^

This post has been edited by ATICE: 19 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

#15 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

I've talked to everyone around me, and my mother too, and they all agree it shouldn't be a problem as long as I keep the contacts taken care of and make sure my hands are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN before I put them in. Also, don't wear them for too long. At this point I'm thinking perhaps I should wear them only for photographs, if ever. It's a shame, though. At least I know for next time.

Thanks for all the tips!

#16 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

A suggestion for those who wear glasses. I bought a pair of sunglasses with perscriptions in them, and for some cosplay I just were those all day it helps if you're blind as a bat like I am. LOL

Pardon the Pause

#17 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49954

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

I've talked to everyone around me, and my mother too, and they all agree it shouldn't be a problem as long as I keep the contacts taken care of and make sure my hands are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN before I put them in. Also, don't wear them for too long. At this point I'm thinking perhaps I should wear them only for photographs, if ever. It's a shame, though. At least I know for next time.

the problem is that eye shape is not uniform, therefore contact lenses have to be fitted. Trust me on this not only do I wear contacts, I wear toric contacts, for astigmatism.

also, putting in and taking out contacts every time you want a photo? you'll end up loosing one.

You could always cheat. Just say you blinked every time someone took a photo.

This post has been edited by keiichi969: 23 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

#18 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

I've done some research on circle lenses...

.. You know, a lot of people wear them.. a lot of the time. Much more than I'd previously thought. So I'm pretty torn. At least, I would be, if I wore these contacts often. But since I'm wearing them only for two days, maybe not even, everyone around me seems to agree that it's all right. I know how to take care of them, and how to keep clean. Believe me. Ever since my belly button piercing got infected two summers ago, I KNOW how to deal with cleanliness. You always learn the hard way.

Saying that might sound a little hypocritical in this particular instance...? But.. Anyway, at the first sign of pain, I will take them out and not put them back in. But I did spend a lot of money on them, and circle lenses just can't be fitted to a person's eyes. It's not possible.

I don't have astigmatism. I don't need a prescription. I know how to be clean. I think it'll be okay.

Once again, thanks everybody! I appreciate the comments and advice.

#19 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49954

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

and circle lenses just can't be fitted to a person's eyes. It's not possible.

Most /cosmetic/ circle lenses come in one standard size and diameter. however, there is a reason why these are frowned on and properly fitted lenses are suggested.

if your lenses do not match the curvature of your cornea, the contacts can shift, or worse, they won't breathe and your eyes will get very irritated. And they can cause serious vision issues, up to and including blindness if they're manufactured improperly.
I'm not talking cleanliness either. we're talking about scracting a cornea, or infection based on the contacts not breathing.

I mean most of these are being imported from china or Malaysia. They know they're illegal to buy, so they aren't going to care about quality.

Also, circle lenses are illegal in the US, banned by the FDA. That's another reason why its frowned upon here.

You can get plano spherical lenses in circle styles. those are the safest option. those are what legal sites like 9mmsfx sell.

I'm just warning you go to be very very careful here.

The base curve of most circle lenses is between 8.4 and 8.6. maybe check with your optometrist and see if that would be a safe fit?

This post has been edited by keiichi969: 24 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

#20 User is offline   Kaishun 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 57115
  • Location:Under the Central Shaft in the Song of Nephilim... *hides*

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Ayase! How adorable, I hope you find yourself a Kanou!
I've read through the suggestions, and I have a couple more for getting them actually in.
I don't know if these is an issue with the ones that you have, but I regularly wear extremely soft contacts. And they love sticking to my finger.
So, wet the finger you're going to put it in with, then get it mostly dry. Move the outside (non-eye-touching) part of the contact around on other fingers until it's not so dry, being sure that the inside (eye-touching) part stays wet. Then, pop it in with the beautiful instructions everyone else gave you.

Unfortunately, contacts are 90% practice, and it took me nearly 1/2 hour with doctor help to get them in, my first try.
So, don't feel bad, and wear them often! But not too long.
Future Conventions: ACen '14, Matsuri or Ramencon '14
Friday: Sho Minamimoto (TWEWY)
Saturday: Saix (KH2) & Kadaj (FFVIIAC)
Sunday: Albedo Piazzolla (XS1)

#21 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:47 AM

D'awww, Ayase! <3
I can't help you out much, but one good piece of advice I can give is calm down when you're putting them in. Don't get frustrated if they don't go in the first, second, or twentieth time. I did when I tried and I couldn't get them in at all because I was getting really upset and trying to rush it. x_x It's going to take a few tries to get them in your eyes, and if at the moment they just WON'T go in, wait a while and try again when you calm down.

#22 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:23 AM

My personal opinion on contacts for cosplay aren't really necessary unless you're taking close up pictures of your face. Like even Lelouch, it's cool if you have a Geass, but unless it's like a close up picture of the face or like SUPER HIGH RESOLUTION you're really not going to see it much.

Especially since your eye doctor didn't write you a prescription for them. I am honestly surprised that you're willing to risk your vision to have blue eyes. But that's coming from someone who never had the ability to see out of their left eye. My brain just refuses to acknowledge that I have two eyes. You're lucky you have seemingly perfect vision. Don't mess it up. I would kill to see the world in something other than a 2D plane.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#23 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

I can't attest to how good these lenses are (I only have the prescription kind). But I found that when I first started wearing them, I had to "work up" to wearing them for any amount of time because they were so uncomfortable at first. Maybe for an hour or two... then half the day.... etc.

If you feel like your eye is being poked, watering excessively, or you otherwise are in pain... take them out ASAP.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#24 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

@Rukariou: I'm so sorry about your eye! I would give you part of my vision if I could. You're right, I don't know what I'd do without my eyesight.

@Rori: Thank you for the tip! Also I love your icon, I was recently introduced to that show but was glad it was only 3 minutes long each episode because I just could not handle the cuteness...

But I think I've come to a decision, and that is that I won't wear the contacts. I have brown eyes anyway, and the contacts don't do much to make my eyes look as blue as I'd like. I'll have to live with a big-wide-doey-brown-eyed Ayase instead, and that's fine, right? Gods, I hope nobody points out that I have the wrong eye color (see that rude cosplayers thread...). I will OPEN UP A CAN OF WHOOP-ARSE on them. ;P Or my Kanou will..!

OHP. Speaking of which.

@Mystline: I do have a Kanou! My best friend, a guy, is my Kanou. We'll be at the yaoi photoshoot and probably at yaoi night too. ...This is hilarious, I'm not even a fan of yaoi... Long story about this cosplay choice.

Okay, now that I know what to do about contacts NEXT time I need them, I should concentrate on the rest of my costume. Like styling my wig. Okay. Right. Gotta do that. ... waaahaaaaa....

Thank you everyone who attributed to this thread! I would have blindly gone on wearing these lenses if nobody replied!! (... pun... not... intended....)

It sucks about the money wasted, though... Oh well. Live and learn.

#25 User is offline   Trucha-San 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59374

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

Well good thing you decided not to wear them because the removal process can be much worse than putting them in.

#26 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

I'm glad that you chose not to use the contacts, since not-legit contacts can do really nasty things to your eyes. That being said, I figured I'd say this for the benefit of you and anyone else who might have trouble getting contacts in.

I wear prescription contacts. When I first got them, I had a really bad case of what is called an aversion reflex. In other words: it was really really hard for me to keep my eyes open long enough to put anything in my eye (specifically contacts and eye drops). It took me two trips to the eye doctor's office and a good six hours, if I remember correctly, to get my contacts in the first time. And another 5 hours to get them out. Now it takes me no time at all, but that's because I wear them every day. So if it takes you a long time to get your contacts in, whether they're so you can roam around sans glasses and not walk into a door frame, or just to give your cosplay that extra touch, don't feel bad. Just don't wait until right before the con to make sure you know how to put them in.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users