• You cannot reply to this topic

Borders Going Away. Sad...but...

#1 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59638

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

Ah~! As you all know. Borders is disappearing (except in gurnee where i live near by.....I havent seen signs that said sales and or going out of buisness..but the others are going,..how odd..maybe I just didnt see it because I havente went in that borders in a while...but my friend bought a mnaga there for full price around this time where the books SHOULD be less then 8 bucks now...odd..)

Anywho~! I was wondering you any of your took advantage of this situation yet. :3

I know I did. On weds I went into a borders near skokie (i think it was skokie...) Oh no wait! It was near argyle in chicago! xD and EVERYTHING was 5 bucks or less.

The manga was $3 and under (O.O) I totally bought some..! But since there's wasn't much of what I wanted I didnt buy much, plusI didnt want to spend a lot of hard earned cach monay. ^_^

and a side note: After I bought my junk I got a free cookie from panera after I bought a scone (I was soooo happy! and the cookie was huuuge!!!! :DD) xD

Okay I bought

Hayate the Combat Butler vol. 15
Nightmare Inspector vol 1. (I really wanted vol 9......but they didnt have it.........)
Tagami Bachi vol 2 (I wanted the 3rd one...........)
Code Geass- Official comic anthology for girls (xD i almost got the one for guys on accident :P)
Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji vol 3 (I need the fourth one too.....)
SGT Frog vol 6
Soul Eater vol. 4
Hetalia: Axis Power vol 2.

whic all adds up to....*fiddles with calculator until realizes she still has a receipt* Ah! Around 24 bucks is what I spent! ^_^ I was ecstatic about sales xD and free food XD

:3 not a shabby list considering what the original price is at Barnes & Noble xD
I took advantage at the manga that are usually over $10

SO! Have you taken advantage of this situation? Do you want to? What are your comments on Borders closing? Did you spend that gift card to Borders yet? You didnt? HURRAY UP! :3

This post has been edited by SirArthurKirkland: 15 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

**The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them**ACen 2013 (Hopefully...Graduation is in the way..) England: %100 completed, Halloween2010!England %0, 2P!England %1, Chibirisu %0, Jeanne de Arc %0, Yukio %0, Ciel Phantomhive %0
Main dA boi, dA Advice Account, Youchube Account
Babe, you mean more to me than you can ever know.

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

*pokes with Russia's pipe*

There was a thread about this but it vanish as usual.

There is a borders downtown on state that is still open but most if not all of them in chicago are closing. There was a girl who worked in Borders and from what she said they were closing due to Bankruptcy and bad decisions on Border's part.

Last time I went to borders I got four-five manga novels for 24 dollars. Which is a deal.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59638

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Ah! Well since it disappeared...theres a new one now xD (things should stop disappearing on me. Im getting old and CANNOT see as well as I used to.)
**The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them**ACen 2013 (Hopefully...Graduation is in the way..) England: %100 completed, Halloween2010!England %0, 2P!England %1, Chibirisu %0, Jeanne de Arc %0, Yukio %0, Ciel Phantomhive %0
Main dA boi, dA Advice Account, Youchube Account
Babe, you mean more to me than you can ever know.

#4 User is offline   PsychoNoble 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19345

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

$3 and under!? Lucky, lucky!
About 3 weeks ago, the Borders over here had their final sale. The manga ranged from %50-%70 off.
I would have totally jumped on some, but all they had left were duplicates / crap arcs I didn't care for. ;3;

Btw, one bookshelf was filled from top to bottom with some new series with a . . . vampire-ish girl on the cover? I guess nobody wanted them.
There were at least 140-160 copies? Crazay.

" The chaos is over. But I'm sure you too can see the dark clouds on the horizon - Enjoy this brief respite. "

#5 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

View PostPsychoNoble, on 15 April 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

$3 and under!? Lucky, lucky!
About 3 weeks ago, the Borders over here had their final sale. The manga ranged from %50-%70 off.
I would have totally jumped on some, but all they had left were duplicates / crap arcs I didn't care for. ;3;

Btw, one bookshelf was filled from top to bottom with some new series with a . . . vampire-ish girl on the cover? I guess nobody wanted them.
There were at least 140-160 copies? Crazay.

Rosario? Chibi Vampire? Or was it a blond vampire loli looking girl?

The one on North/Halsted had lots of manga including Naruto/Bleach/D. Grey man arcs but I do not know now.....think they might be closed.

The one on Michigan Ave. wasn't much cheaper...like 7-8 dollars for manga compared to 10-12 dollars for manga. Also they had no animu dvds at all.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 15 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#6 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

There closing some locations, and trying to regroup and try one more time. Hope it works.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#7 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 15 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

Rosario? Chibi Vampire? Or was it a blond vampire loli looking girl?

If it's a "new" vampire series, I'd guess it would be Dance in the Vampire Bund, which I'm thinking you were talking about with the blond loli vampire. Though that could also include Evangeline A.K. McDowell from Negima, though since she's not the focus I discount that possibility.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#8 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

View PostSirArthurKirkland, on 15 April 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

The manga was $3 and under (O.O) I totally bought some..! But since there's wasn't much of what I wanted I didnt buy much, plusI didnt want to spend a lot of hard earned cach monay. ^_^

Lucky! Ours was completely and entirely empty after the first round of discounts several weeks ago. :( So no $3 manga here.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#9 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Happiness~!! My town's borders stayed!! Seems like the towns's leaders weren't too keen on the store going, at least what what my mom told me.. The hilight was that for 3 weeks, they had the going out of buisness sale anyhow.. I'm happy... and sad... for missing out on these sales.. xD
ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#10 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59727

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

It still baffles me that borders is gone. I remember when I was a little girl thinking this store would be here forever. I guess I won't be increasing my manga collection any time soon.
Private Photo Shoots for 2011 ACen! CLICK HERE to sign up!

s t a l k m e
website / facebook / cosplay.com / deviantArt / twitter / youtube

#11 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:20 AM

View Postwrexness, on 16 April 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

If it's a "new" vampire series, I'd guess it would be Dance in the Vampire Bund, which I'm thinking you were talking about with the blond loli vampire. Though that could also include Evangeline A.K. McDowell from Negima, though since she's not the focus I discount that possibility.

Yeah that's the one (Bund,) that's suddenly popular. I have mixed feelings for that. Attempted to read and...was torn. It was so cliched and ugh but it had cool parts to it.

Level: You still have B and N. The problem is that the B and N here in Chicago still has old manga. They barely update and no korean manga so I have to buy it online which is a pain. Also the State street Borders is going to be open for a while.

Coupons still work at all Borders including the closing ones but I do not know about the new Borders reward card if you do use that.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#12 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5452

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

Its so sad, the one that closed by me was there since the 90s.

Although I did get a ton of manga.(Went to two closing borders to get all the manga i could)
I did get some volumes for a buck something each.
ACen 2013
Nami:: One Piece
Lucy: Fairy Tail
Gaige:: Borderlands 2

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users