Anime Central Forums: Rude Cosplay Fans - Anime Central Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rude Cosplay Fans Or People that like to tell you that You're doing the charcter wro

#91 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59762

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

I'M NOT GOING TO GET ANY COMPLAINTS FOR IN-CHARACTER AS PRUSSIA. (Physical, on the other hand, maybe. "Dude, you're too flimsy to be Prussia!") I have his personality completely figured out for acting in-character, and a stereotypical German accent. THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN. :thumbup: *totally LOVES being in-character as Prussia*

This post has been edited by Skogkatt: 21 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

ACen 2011: Norway[Hetalia], casual!Prussia[Hetalia], child!Third Doctor[Doctor Who]

vFuture ideas
gijinka!K-9[Doctor Who]60%, gijinka!Intelligence Core[Portal]40%, normal!Jade[Homestuck]50%, Duelist Kingdom!Bakura[YuGiOh]5%, student!Evangeline[Negima!?]50%, Lieutenant!Aizen[Bleach]30%

I'm open for costume-designing commissions!

#92 User is offline   Zigglett 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59927

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

View PostKrystal, on 14 April 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

If I wasn't so catty, I would have cried my eyes out. However, through my keen sense of deduction, I inferred they were all about 200-300 pounds, so whatever they say is probably stemming from insecurity.

not that this of too much relevence, but I know that at least at the ACE hardware by my house, they have 2-3 foot wrenches that only weigh about 10-15 pounds. They're just really expensive.(and I question whetther they're even allowed)
-----------
2011 ACEN cosplay: Kisuke Urahara

#93 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

View PostLeaf, on 21 April 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

My friends and I were dressed in Ouran High School Host Club cosplay, and a girl ran up to us, very excited to see our cosplay. She greeted us and we greeted her back, but it became quickly apparent as soon as we opened our mouths that we were not what she wanted. Her face fell, and her tone sounded distant. "Have you seen any GUYS cosplaying Ouran?" We shrugged and told her we hadn't, really. o_O If it was something about our costumes I could even rationalize it as normal rudeness, but the fact that we're female? Can't change that! Pffffbt!

I understand why people would be upset about someone not turning out to be the gender they thought, but this type of reaction bugs me. The cosplays were good enough to catch her attention in the first place. I would think she would've acknowledged the fact that you guys were pretty decent instead of just dismissing you when she found out your gender. I wouldn't be upset if this happened to me, but it'd still be a little irritating.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#94 User is offline   studdly nerd 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59643

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

yeah it is my first time going to a con and i was gonna cosplay but my friend told me people are sometimes rude to cosplayers i decided not to and it kinda makes me sad face :(
Owwwww My Frigggin Eye!!!!!!!
Cosplays have been cancelled for me this year sad face :(

#95 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

View Poststuddly nerd, on 05 May 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

yeah it is my first time going to a con and i was gonna cosplay but my friend told me people are sometimes rude to cosplayers i decided not to and it kinda makes me sad face :(

There are haters everywhere; you just have to have a thick skin and not rage about it.

A lot of people like to point out the bad things instead of the good things about...well almost everything. You can do a spot on Luffy and someone would point out how he isn't chapter whatever version, that person's skin isn't light enough, or their weight isn't good enough just to make themselves feel good or prep themselves up.

Example even though I hate to bring it up is /cgl/

I said this before and I will say this again; just do whatever you feel like you enjoy as long as it doesn't break the laws or bring someone down from their square/messes with their health.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#96 User is offline   KurolokiRoku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1211

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

OH. MY. GOD.

I've never really had the means to cosplay, so...I had no idea this kind of crap was going on. I'm appalled by all of the rude responses you people have gotten! Clearly these rude people need to brush up on their social skills/self-esteem/both.

On the other hand people seem to do this a lot with Lolita at Acen, so...now it makes total sense. I've always wondered why people seemed way more catty about Lolita at Acen than they do in the regular everyday community.

I find it laughable that people who don't even cosplay (or wear Lolita, et al) would have the nerve to make judgments like "You're not doing it right" or "That's not good enough".
kuroloki.deviantart.com
www.rokulie.com
Please come visit studio RoKulié in the artist alley!

#97 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Wow. I can't believe people have gotten such rude comments. It's really sad. I know I've seen cosplays and thought "Man, that sucks." But I also think "Oh well, they tried" And I'm not going to walk up and point out I don't like it, that's just rude. I remember my first year at Acen. I had no idea what to do and had never been to a con before and was just so insanely excited. I dressed as a female version of Edward Elric. My costume SUCKED. didn't get asked for a single picture. But if someone had come up to me I told me it sucked...I probably would have started crying. I worked really hard on it, and it was just my first cosplay. everyone has to start somewhere and it's beyond rude to say you don't like someone's hard work.

As for being in character, I have a habit of cosplaying Pokemon, so there isn't much of a "character" lol. Being Sexy-no-Jutsu Naruto for a day this year...after reading this thread I can practically hear people yelling at me for using a swimsuit instead of a "naked" suit or for not walking around being "sexy" or kissing people or some crap like that. Hopefully that doesn't happen though xD
Possible ACen 2015 Plans
Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 10%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#98 User is offline   Clementine 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59293

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

I'll be honest, I have never cosplayed before, and I nearly didn't want to cosplay due to my fear of what you all have been saying. I just am afraid that I might have to smack a ho that tries to start something with me over my cosplays.
~ACen cosplays~
Amy Pond (50%)

#99 User is offline   Vinja Ryou 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 3078

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

Cosplay anyway! There's going to be rude people no matter what, but if you stop to really think about it, ACen is roughly the size of a small town. Out of those thousands of people, you'll have a handful that are going to be snobs, and you have a very good chance of never running into them. :]

I haven't had a person try to snap at me for my cosplays yet, and I've done a pretty wide assortment, lol.

#100 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5452

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

So here is my headscratcher...

I think i was at acen when this happened. My bf and I were chatting with some other one piece cosplayers a Nami and a Luffy.
Some guy comes up and is all like "Omg One piece cosplayers!! Nami cosplayers! I want a picture of you guys"
So we all pose, and he turns to me and says "Your not a One Piece cosplayer, get out of the picture, I only want a picture of One Piece characters"
So I told his rudebutt that I was in-fact cosplaying from One Piece and that I was Nami, and he was arguing that I in-fact was not a Nami cosplayer.
ACen 2013
Nami:: One Piece
Lucy: Fairy Tail
Gaige:: Borderlands 2

#101 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

View PostClementine, on 06 May 2011 - 08:55 AM, said:

I'll be honest, I have never cosplayed before, and I nearly didn't want to cosplay due to my fear of what you all have been saying. I just am afraid that I might have to smack a ho that tries to start something with me over my cosplays.

Please don't let these comments get to you. My point in making this thread was to get people to maybe not be so rude if they knew how others felt and that they're not alone when they are rude to. For every jerk that says something to you there's at least a dozen who will tell you you look cool or want to talk to you. Cosplaying is awesome, period. No matter who you do, or how well your costume is, it's a way of showing you appricate the character by giving them life in a different way. :thumbup:

View PostAshikana, on 13 May 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

So here is my headscratcher...

I think i was at acen when this happened. My bf and I were chatting with some other one piece cosplayers a Nami and a Luffy.
Some guy comes up and is all like "Omg One piece cosplayers!! Nami cosplayers! I want a picture of you guys"
So we all pose, and he turns to me and says "Your not a One Piece cosplayer, get out of the picture, I only want a picture of One Piece characters"
So I told his rudebutt that I was in-fact cosplaying from One Piece and that I was Nami, and he was arguing that I in-fact was not a Nami cosplayer.

Wow, what the heck? Has he not heard of alternet versions of the character? :rolleyes:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#102 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

I personally never had an experience with a rude comment about my cosplay, thankfully seeing I have somewhat of a temper and an ego towards my self-esteem. It's not bad or anything and I ain't arrogant but still.

The only rude comment I heard about somebody said about anyone else was during ASTL 2011's skit show or whatever. This girl was doing a Vocaloid skit and mouthing synching and dancing. Granted, it wasn't the best thing in the world but I thought I would be nice and take a few pictures of her dance number and post it on ASTL's photo album. So while taking a few pics, I heard my friend saying "Dude, don't take no ****in' pictures of her. She sucks".

Mind you I was less than 10 feet away from the stage where she could possibly hear my friend saying that. I gave him a look like "Bro, are you that socially retarded and ignorant? ".

View PostKrystal, on 14 April 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

At Ohayocon this year, I had a 5 foot wrench plush as my Winry prop (Pic is on my profile), and this one girl asked for my pictures. As I started to pose, one of her friends, who was really hungry apparently, said "No! I'm starving! There will be better Winrys, with real wrenches!" and they left without taking a picture.

Rudest moment at a con EVER for me.

Wow. What a ***** that friend is. You should had brought a real wrench and beat the fool with it. Naw but seriously, that's downright ignorant.

View PostTENIME_art, on 14 April 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

"Krillin doesn't have a nose!!!"

Words don't describe how speechless I am about this. Okay, Krillin don't have a nose. So what? Geez, crap like this is the main reason why I hate anime fans sometimes.

View PostGoldeneyeuro, on 14 April 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

For those who think that you have to act like your character 24/7- uh, no. You're portraying the character, you aren't THE CHARACTER. It'd be rather torturous to have to portray their exact personality all the time for some characters. Like- do you HONESTLY expect an L cosplayer to always walk around hunched over, hold everything delicately, and walk around the whole con with NO SHOES? And of course, you have your own interpretation of them, and of course, characters in series have different moods, it's not like one personality, copy/paste in every second, since they usually change during the series.

This. For one, hunching over is gonna put a strain on your back. Two, convention halls have rules against being barefoot. I would rather much have a healthy back and not get kick out for being barefoot than to please some nerd by being in character 24/7. On top of that, people get annoyed with folks being in character after a while.

The most recent rude cosplay fan I've had to encounter- I was taking a picture of someone dressed as Tommy, the green Power Ranger, and I overheard someone yell, "NOT ANIME!" To which I yelled back, "SHUT UP" and walked away before he could reply.

It's funny seeing more and more anime conventions and many con-goers are welcoming anything that's not anime related. Still, you get those weaboo douchebags who gotta be like "THIS IS AN ANIME CONVENTION! IT MUST BE PURE TO ONLY ANIME!"

I can't wait for the day i heard some idiot diss a Donald Duck cosplayer at an anime convention. I'm gonna laugh. So. HARD!

View PostDeadCruiser, on 15 April 2011 - 02:29 AM, said:

I haven't had anybody say anything rude to me just yet, but this is my first year going as a non-anime character. I have a bit of a temper, so I probably wouldn't take it very well if somebody did say something rude or if I heard somebody being rude for no reason to someone else.

Ah. I'm in the same case as you are with the temper thing. However, best try to keep it under control because you may not wanna go to court if some guy decides to piss you off and you snap off on him and you punch them. By law, even if the guy was being rude, that can be consider as assault. Believe me on this one, I almost got charge with assault and suspended from school because somebody decide to harass me in high school and I choke them, which lead them to be put in the hospital.

Anyway, on cosplaying non-anime characters. These days, many people don't give a damn if there's non anime characters in anime conventions. About 99% of con-goers are chill about non-anime characters in conventions. However, the reserve don't seem to go well in sci-fi or comic conventions.

View Postfufuberry, on 15 April 2011 - 09:11 AM, said:

Rude people at cons really bug me. I think the worst experience I had was when I was cosplaying Envy from FMA. It was my second cosplay ever and I made the crazy hair out of foam and paint and I thought it looked pretty good. But as I passed someone in a hall he turned to me and said "You did the hair wrong." I was really surprised. Another time I was in the dealer's room as Envy and someone asked me if my homunculus symbol tattoo was real. When I said no, I drew it on with makeup for the cosplay, they looked really disgusted and walked away.

For the hair thing, you should had been like "very nice lady, my hair looks good compare with your greasy, unwashed hair!" I bet you $50 he wasn't even in cosplay.

For the tattoo thing, I can't see why people get butthurt about other people's bodies. Seriously, why would they care if you didn't get a real tattoo?

I also think it's wrong to hate on cosplayers just because they don't look exactly like the character. When I cosplayed the witch from left4dead I had some people tell me they were glad I was skinny because if I wasn't "they wouldn't have wanted to see it." I don't see what's wrong with anybody putting their heart and soul into a cosplay and being that character for a weekend, even if they're over weight or don't look exactly the same as the character. The point is to have fun. It shouldn't matter what body type you have.

The weight thing, I somewhat agree with. I mean, you got balls to wear a skimpy outfit if you a big person, but at the same time, you're a big person wearing a skimmpy outfit. I have a gut so I am not gonna be cosplaying say...The Old Spice guy anytime soon.

As for looking like the exact character, I think it is stupid. You're cosplaying as a fictional character. A cartoon character. There is no way in hell you will ever look like the character.

View PostKrystal, on 15 April 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

This story actually turned out not to be a rude cosplayer (like I thought at first), just funny as heck. It was my first Acen, 2008. I was Lucy from Elfen Lied, and I had on the black dress outfit and the mask from the first episode.

So, this L cosplayer stops me, and this is our conversation.

L: Why did you bring that?

Me: Huh? It's from the anime?

L: Yeah I know, but it's the completely wrong time for the prop. You're wearing the outfit she wears at the end. If you wanted to use that prop, which is from the beginning, you would have to be naked.

Me: Well I obviously can't-

L: You know what? I'll give you this. It IS a good prop, and it'd be a shame to waste it. If you want to cosplay more "accurately", here's my room number. *Gives me room number and walks away*

Me: ....0_o What just happened.

Spider-Man: My creep senses are tingling.

View PostDarkMimi, on 17 April 2011 - 02:16 AM, said:

"You're supposed to be Rakshata? But she's Indian, not BLACK."
-This particular one might make me go off, because cosplaying is not about race. It is about having FUN.

DarkMimi, are you the female version of me? Seriously, I feel this way when I plan to non-black characters in my cosplay plans. Man, seriously, why do people honest to God get upset when non-white or Asian folks characters cosplay White and Asian characters? Racist, much?

I hope this happens to me one day:

Ignorant f***er: "Why you cosplaying as Kinzou/Jet Black/Goatman/Hercule? You're black and those characters are white/asian!"
Me: "Man, why you cosplaying as an Asian character when your butt is white?"

I've seen many of great cosplayers who are not white or Asian but still man, why race gotta matter? Bad enough I get crap for being black, don't want that racist crap in my hobbies to come to play as well!

This post has been edited by Snow_Storm: 14 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#103 User is offline   MizukiMidnight 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 56276

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hallelujah to this!
Coming back as Vincent Valentine! WOOT!
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
Vincent Valentine-100%
Ninja War Hinata-100%
Steampunk/Victorian/Original-100%
Zoe Hanji-100%
Zakuro Tokyo Mew Mew-100%
Mariko Miniskirt Space Pirates-100%

#104 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59638

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

View PostSnow_Storm, on 14 May 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

I've seen many of great cosplayers who are not white or Asian but still man, why race gotta matter? Bad enough I get crap for being black, don't want that racist crap in my hobbies to come to play as well!

I saw something on youtube like this when I was looking at hetalia cosplay vids and in this one video where someone put together pictures of one of the best hetalia cosplyers WHO ARE NOT ASIAN except the asian countries. She emphasized saying that ASIANS SHOULD NOT COSPLAY EUROPEAN COUNTRIES AND SHOULD JUST STICK WITH THE ASIAN COUNTRIES :/ well that made me depressed for a minute considering Im asian (not even the light kind, my skin is tan) and I cosplay the european countries. :/

Then I was thinking...Hetalia and basically all anime whether or not the characters are asian are all made by an asian person >.<

Meh...I was still pretty bummed out and was appalled that she had the nerve to say that :/

This post has been edited by SirArthurKirkland: 17 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

**The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them**ACen 2013 (Hopefully...Graduation is in the way..) England: %100 completed, Halloween2010!England %0, 2P!England %1, Chibirisu %0, Jeanne de Arc %0, Yukio %0, Ciel Phantomhive %0
Main dA boi, dA Advice Account, Youchube Account
Babe, you mean more to me than you can ever know.

#105 User is offline   Ginger shark 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59478

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

Some people were rude to me the first time I ever went to Acen in 2006. I was dressed up as Mana from Malice Mizer. I was in the Gardenia outfit. If anyone knows anything about Mana then they know that Mana doesn't say anything. There was no way I was going to be completely silent for all of Acen. It was my first big con and I was excited to be there. A few people heard me talking and said I was out of character. Later on in the day I just stopped talking to people then. I was tired and sick of rudeness and my feet hurt from walking in heels all day. Well someone came up and told me they loved my outfit. I just nodded my head in thanks and they then exclaimed how awesome it was that I was staying in character. I wasn't even trying to be in character. I like cosplaying but I get a bit insecure when it comes to acting like a character. It is not something I do unless I am at a photoshoot and even then it is difficult. Some people just want to take all the fun out of Acen.Some one to see real life copies of their favorite characters. I'm just a normal person dressed up having fun. I'm not there to fulfill someone's fantasy about a character. I think that is why some people get rude and upset when people dressed up as their favorite characters are not in character. I am not going to run around Acen acting like Grell the whole time. If someone gets upset and rude I am just going to ignore them.

#106 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

View PostSirArthurKirkland, on 17 May 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

I saw something on youtube like this when I was looking at hetalia cosplay vids and in this one video where someone put together pictures of one of the best hetalia cosplyers WHO ARE NOT ASIAN except the asian countries. She emphasized saying that ASIANS SHOULD NOT COSPLAY EUROPEAN COUNTRIES AND SHOULD JUST STICK WITH THE ASIAN COUNTRIES :/ well that made me depressed for a minute considering Im asian (not even the light kind, my skin is tan) and I cosplay the european countries. :/

Reverse racism at it finest, huh? Hey, it doesn'tmatter about fun or the costume, it race that matters, right?
I hate this crap sometimes.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#107 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

I had the most horrible experience today. I went to the Hetalia gathering, and someone cane up to me and tried to hug me. Being obviously out of character as I'm uke myself, I tried to get away and asked her to please stop, then--it all happened so quickly--I don't know if it wasone or two other people, but someone shouted "Get Prussia!" while I was trying to move away, and then tackles me while I helplessly tried to escape. I have sensory disorders and I hate to be touched, so I felt like crying. When I finally got up, one girl picked up my cell phonefrom te ground and wouldn't give it back until I made my daddy come over and help me. As a disabled kid, it was one of the worst experiences in my life. I quickly changed costumes and I'm never going to ACen as Prussia again. :'(
Fortunately, I know some Hetalia cosplayers are nice. I met a really sweet group before I went to the gathering, and I really wish I had travelled with them. They asked politely to hug me instead of actually touching me, but because I got comfortable with them, I let them pat me.
Also, the Hetalia fans tended to only talk about perverted inappropriate things. As I hate inappropriate talk, I didn't like this at all. I really don't like it when people don't appreciate an anime for what it truly is without the inappropriate fanbase. I also wish cosplayers would be more considerate. I think even if I did get something from the special needs booth telling people not to touch me, they would have ignored it anyway.
ACen 2011: Norway[Hetalia], casual!Prussia[Hetalia], child!Third Doctor[Doctor Who]

vFuture ideas
gijinka!K-9[Doctor Who]60%, gijinka!Intelligence Core[Portal]40%, normal!Jade[Homestuck]50%, Duelist Kingdom!Bakura[YuGiOh]5%, student!Evangeline[Negima!?]50%, Lieutenant!Aizen[Bleach]30%

#108 User is offline   KeySmash 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 58635

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

View PostSkogkatt, on 21 May 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

I had the most horrible experience today. I went to the Hetalia gathering, and someone cane up to me and tried to hug me. Being obviously out of character as I'm uke myself, I tried to get away and asked her to please stop, then--it all happened so quickly--I don't know if it wasone or two other people, but someone shouted "Get Prussia!" while I was trying to move away, and then tackles me while I helplessly tried to escape. I have sensory disorders and I hate to be touched, so I felt like crying. When I finally got up, one girl picked up my cell phonefrom te ground and wouldn't give it back until I made my daddy come over and help me. As a disabled kid, it was one of the worst experiences in my life. I quickly changed costumes and I'm never going to ACen as Prussia again. :'(
Fortunately, I know some Hetalia cosplayers are nice. I met a really sweet group before I went to the gathering, and I really wish I had travelled with them. They asked politely to hug me instead of actually touching me, but because I got comfortable with them, I let them pat me.
Also, the Hetalia fans tended to only talk about perverted inappropriate things. As I hate inappropriate talk, I didn't like this at all. I really don't like it when people don't appreciate an anime for what it truly is without the inappropriate fanbase. I also wish cosplayers would be more considerate. I think even if I did get something from the special needs booth telling people not to touch me, they would have ignored it anyway.

I'm so sorry about what happened. I also had a horrible experience at the Hetalia shoot. I do agree, the Hetalia group, some but not all, were very inconsiderate to other cosplayers. It was my first time at the Hetalia shoot and everything was hectic. A girl was running around with her flag and almost jabbed me in the face. The Asian country's were not called which made me a little sad. I thought photoshoots were to see cosplayers have fun in there cosplays and take pictures. Not to almost experience death. :(. But, I did meet nice Hetalia cosplayers who showed me what was going on. Don't get me wrong, I love the anime but not the inappropriate fandom.
Cosplays 2014~
Yachiru "Retsu" Unohana (BLEACH)
Otohime (One Piece)
Katara: Southern Raiders (Avatar)

#109 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Oh you poor thing D: I'd hug you if it wasn't for the fact you don't like being touched...maybe a virtual hug is ok? *hugs*

I have to say though, people need to be prepared when they go to photoshoots. Sometimes they get out of hand and people get obnoxious. (However, this is NO excuse for what happened to you. Just saying in general, you need to be prepared for the crazies when you go to shoots) I went to a Naruto shoot and someone grabbed me and forced me into a sexy-ish picture with them and I wasn't really sure what was going on. Turned out that I knew them and just hadn't recognized them at first but they recognized me. Still, awkward at first.

But I agree some people at photoshoots take things way too far. That situation shouldn't have happened. People should be respectful and ask before they hug/glomp, and they shouldn't be tackling people at all (unless they're all friends or whatever and know the other person is ok with it.) Anyways, people at photoshoots can be rude, especially if there isn't someone in charge to make sure things like that don't happen.
Possible ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%

#110 User is offline   urbanfaerie 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5683

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

For the most part I've always had positive reactions to my costumes. I did once get a plain clothes Otaku asking to see my Tanto in my Fuu costume. "Do you have ALL the charms?" Actually? I did.

And I'm "too tall" to play Fuu from Samurai Champloo. I am a very tall girl. But as her dub VA said when I said, "I'm too tall." Name drop time... Kirk Thornton dug my cosplay as well and Travis W./Roy Mustang said, "You're the Havoc fan with the LEGS!" *MINISKIRTS FOR HAVOC FTW!*
"No, you're perfect! You ARE Fuu! You have tiny Fuu feet and hands, and the FACE!" I was so THRILLED that Kari loved my costume! (I worked damned hard on it!)

Such a compliment. :) For solo cosplay I wear whatever I want, but at 5'8" in groups, we try to rope in my friend Zack. He's 6'4" and well built. I stand next to him, away from my shortie friends. ;) When I was far too skinny for my own good I cosplayed Radical Edward from Cowboy Bebop. FAR too tall... but posing on my own I had that "string bean" look and SICK yoga poses. (And my default convention mode is "OMG HYPER HYPER AND SOOOOO HAPPY TO BE HERE!" It totally worked. :)

I cosplayed Abby Sciuto from NCIS all weekend. I'd brought my Izumi Curtis, heavily styled and modified wig and all, and I just couldn't get into it.

Cosplay is about PLAY. And it was all I could do not to roll my eyes when people said, "Abby isn't that tall.". XD Um no, the actress who plays her, Paulie Perette is 5'10" and 40. :) I'm 5'8" and 36. :) I'd like to say I kick @ss as Abby. I have a naturally hyper personality and am a fast talker. (And pretty smart, but sometimes not making sense... or leaving people in the dust with my train of thought.)

The WORST is when someone in a TERRIBLE cosplay or street clothes is giving you a hard time. What I REALLY want to say is, "Really?" or "I couldn't hear you, could you repeat that?"

Not everyone is going to be "elite or master level" in their cosplay. My thought is that for many characters "closet cosplay" is fully awesome.

I am however picky on hair and makeup. ;) If someone makes his or her own costume from scratch, could said person at least be bothered to spray/dye the hair and style it properly, or try to do his/her best with a wig? (and MAKEUP! Even in characters who "don't wear makeup", I try to be camera ready. Bare minimum is basic makeup/concealer/foundation with LOTS of mascara and subtle liner. YOu want to "pop" on camera.

(One of my non-cosplaying friends went to Comicon in San Diego and had her picture taken next to a Fuu. She wrote to me, "I was nice and didn't ask her where her hair sticks (and ten tons of light brown hair/proper bangs, etc etc were), tanto with charms, and either Geta or traditional women's "flip flops" were. ;) Fuu actually requires a ridiculous amount of makeup to get those HUGE eyes and rosy cheeks and lips. I've been considering running a panel on basic photographic and cosplay makeup. How to play up your eyes and "natural beauty" on camera without being tarted up.

IN addition to cosplay I AM a "Sephora Girl"... indeed, I am destined to be broke. XD

(AND I am SO NOT Abby-fied before I've had my BIG iced latte and a little something to eat. Be nice to the cosplayer is dragging arse after a long night. ;) It did make for some cute pictures of "Abby" looking disgruntled and pointing into her Caff-Pow cup with the lid off. I just wanted my GD coffee.

Generally I am PLEASED as PUNCH to get my picture taken. Dressing up in a costume, especially a FABULOUS costume, is pretty much ASKING for being stopped every 20 feet for pictures. I just leave earlier for EVERYTHING.

But, fellow cosplayers, isn't it so worth it?

As for the cosplayers in the same costume who criticize other players doing the same thing? NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER will I do that. I might snark later in private with friends that Fuu from Champloo wouldn't HAVE a shiny/silk kimono. She's an orphan and a tea house girl She's broke. Her "kimono" is more summer yukata than formal kimono. And as for Abby Sciuto, Pauley has an amazing body and figure! How many girls or guys are 5'8" and have that face? I just lucked out. My personality on "best days"/happy days, is VERY Abby. My friend who designed my tattoos, that are OW OW OW OW and gave me a rash so I say NOOOOOOO, said that the resemblance was uncanny and kinda spooky. And I make up my own outfits. The CBS website has awesome backstage coverage on how they pick Abby's wardrobe. I've been a longtime shopper to a website that often gets orders from the NCIS wardrobe people. I generally get a "heads up" on what's been ordered. (I HATE when it's a limited size run item. The wardrobe dept @NCIS buys MY size to accommodate Paulie's height and then alters it.)

So take heart cosplayers, there is always a d-bag in a group. Just remember that you worked on your cosplay and it is PLAY.

To close, attention to detail is AMAZING. Sometimes you just can't FIND the materials. And being in character all the time is just not possible. For me to cosplay Sloth from FMA, I held the "picture" of the Heroin Chic Calvin Klein ads of the early '90s. Sloth just can't be bothered. I had such a hard time with her, since at con I'm generally wearing a silly grin the whole long weekend.
[ACen 2012 Cosplays/Coordinates: (sooo much Lolita! Classic/Kuro)
Fuu from Samurai Champloo - her last "hurrah" before possible retirement.
Abby Sciuto - with an FMA mini-skirt of doom "surprise".
Izumi Curtis from FMA - It's warm enough to not wear the jacket and I've been dilligent with yoga. :) Hooray!

#111 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

KeySmash & Washu: Thank you SO much!!! I wish more people were like you and appreciated the anime for what it was... And Washu, yes, virtual hug is okay. :) I'm sure tackling and glomping are the same thing in my book...but yeah, still no excuse. I was really scared that people would be more like, "That's not RUDE, people always do that!" but I'm so glad you were sympathetic and that makes me feel a lot better. Thank you so much! Also, you mentioned Naruto? I don't know if it's just because Doctor Who isn't an anime that it was different, or if the different fandoms tend to have more erratic fans than others? Do you know if anyone's ever compiled...like...a list?

On a completely different note, one thing is that people tend to ask you for pictures when they like the character and not when they like the costume. People liked my Prussia costume just because it was Prussia, even though it was a casual closet cosplay, and Norway may get no love, but I actually sewed that one and worked really hard on it. Anyone else think that's a bit odd?

vFuture ideas

#112 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

Honestly, I think it has everything to do with the person/people running the shoot. I went to the Pokemon shoot this year, and one of the people running it made herself seem very BA. She was barking out orders and everyone was following them and I doubt anyone would have had the guts to mess with her. (But she was also cool and having fun with it, but you could tell she wasn't going to take anyone's bs.) So it's just my opinion, but I think for a good organized shoot you need a good organized leader(s). If no one is really running it, that's when everything goes crazy.

On a side note, I also believe "newer" fandoms tend to be the most chaotic. For example, Naruto fans used to be 90% crazy screaming little pre-teens who thought it was the best thing ever. Then there was Ouran, which got a bad rap because of how many girls went giddy over it. And now there's Hetalia. Whatever the big anime(s) is/are for the year seem to be the most out of control fandom. (Can't say how the photoshoots have been in past years though so I didn't go. I could be drawing conclusions that are totally false, but this is my guess)

And no, I don't think it's that weird. Personally, if I see a really cool cosplay I'll think 'Damn that's really cool/well done!' but if I don't know who they are/what they're from it's kind of a passing thought and I won't ask for a picture. If it's something I know, then I'll want a picture to remember it.

EDIT: and in the case of Doctor Who, I believe most of the fans are a little older/more mature. I'm not a fan myself so I can't really say, but the people I see cosplaying it and the people I know like it tend to be at least in their 20s-30s, where other fandoms have a lot of younger immature people.

This post has been edited by Washu Takahashi: 23 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Possible ACen 2015 Plans

#113 User is offline   steamphunk 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60425

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

In my little time of cosplaying, I have never gotten a rude comment. And, I admit, there are times when I see a cosplay I thought was just terrible but I complimented the person instead. I know that people work very hard on certain characters and they only want to be acknowledged for that work. My cosplays aren't perfect but I'm always supper giddy when someone tells me that I look really good.

#114 User is offline   OnionKnight 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60512

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

Mainly I just had people busting my chops for being either too tall or too old to be onion knight. I tried to act as boyish as I could most of the time, and I figure they were just kidding... I hope!
ACEN 2011 Cosplay Character: Onion Knight

#115 User is offline   KnuxieChan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57494

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

I try not to be rude for photos... but.. speaking of rudeness. I hate when Hetalia fans assume anyone wearing a military uniform is from their series. I loathe Hetalia now thanks to them. =/
[ACen 2013 Cosplay]
Marik Ishtar (YGO!Abridged)
Raiden (MGS2)

#116 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

View PostKnuxieChan, on 23 May 2011 - 07:27 PM, said:

I try not to be rude for photos... but.. speaking of rudeness. I hate when Hetalia fans assume anyone wearing a military uniform is from their series. I loathe Hetalia now thanks to them. =/

Don't hate Hetalia because of the fandom! I swear, most of the fandom is pure s*******!!! I love Hetalia, but hate the fandom. Those ignorant fans probably only liked the brilliant anime for their stupid inappropriate fan-ideas. Despite that, however, I still love Hetalia for what it is: making light of dark history with cute comedy. <3
Oh, gosh, that would seriosuly get on anyone's nerves. One of my misgivings about being the Brigadier(or really any UNIT person)from Doctor Who was that people would think I was England. Do you see a blonde wig and a flying mint bunny? *doesn't have a moustache*

vFuture ideas

#117 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

View PostOnionKnight, on 23 May 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Mainly I just had people busting my chops for being either too tall or too old to be onion knight. I tried to act as boyish as I could most of the time, and I figure they were just kidding... I hope!

WHAT!? You had an awesome costume and were an awesome Onion Knight ;A; Those people had to have been just joking around with you :/

Eh the only rude instance I had at acen was when I was walking towards my hotel on Saturday night in my Mio cosplay. As I was walking across the convention center someone pointed to me and said "Wrong!!"
It didn't hit me until after I met up with my friend a minute later because I try to block out people at night. I honestly had no clue what was wrong with my costume aside from the fact that I'm not skinny. :[ I didn't really care that much afterwards though lol. I was just surprised that that person had the gull to point to me, say something rude then run away.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#118 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostSnow_Storm, on 14 May 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

I can't wait for the day i heard some idiot diss a Donald Duck cosplayer at an anime convention. I'm gonna laugh. So. HARD!

Sorry to side track, but that was an interesting article. That's funny Scrooge McDuck was the inspiration for the Anime and Manga style. :lol:

On topic, my glasses were not reflective for a cosplay I was doing this year, which someone pointed out... I agreed.

#119 User is offline   Nurse-Headless 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60098

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Sweetie, you don't know the half of what Hetalia cosplayers are like. I've been to a few meet and greets with Hetalia cosplayers with me as Spain and I just have to say one thing. "Hetalia was completely ruined for me." I once loved Hetalia because it was such a cute show but the fan girls and other cosplayers ruined it for me with how inappropriate they are. Its suppose to be an adorable funny show not a smut fest! I'm so sorry about what happend to you and I highly reccomend you stay clear of them if you don't want to be touched because most will do so without warning. Don't get me wrong though, there are some very sweet people, and I have fortunately beeen able to become very close with some really awesome girls; but I don't plan on cosplaying Hetalia for a while. Taking pictures is what I mostly do now for my friends that still cosplay Hetalia.

#120 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

-snip-

That's a dang shame. I was just thinking how well behaved people were this year. :/ That's the crappy thing about cosplaying from a popular series and then a popular character from it. People just don't know how to act and won't respect the fact that you are a person and not a character. Sucks you had to experience it.

Worst I got was a few people insulting Soulja Boy, but, seeing as how I am not Soulja Boy myself, I shrugged it off. For every one person who had something snarky to say about me not looking like Goku (which was the joke anyway), I had someone joke around with me singing the song. When I was hanging around near the convention center though, a crossplayer in a schoolgirl uniform walked past. Some dudes walking behind were giving him crap about not shaving his legs for the costume. I don't know if he heard or not, but I thought that was pretty rude. It's like dang, a few hairs on someone else's leg aren't going to kill ya.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users