Anime Central Forums: Rude Cosplay Fans - Anime Central Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rude Cosplay Fans Or People that like to tell you that You're doing the charcter wro

#31 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59762

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

View PostSirArthurKirkland, on 14 April 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

*whimpers* I'm scared now.... ;_; I can't be in character all the time! Especially when my british accent is still in the making..! D:

I havent been told that I wasn't in character of been told rudely that I sucked at cosplay or something like that. (Guess I havent been to enough cons yet) I just hope that doesn't happen because meanie head people make me sad... :(

Don't worry, Hetalia fans(from my knowledge, of course) don't always follow standards, ESPECIALLY not accents. I wish they did do accents when in character, but that makes me a total hypocrite because I can't do a Norwegian accent for the life of me. When I see an England cosplayer doing the character right, I get EXCITED OUT OF MY MIND because some people got it into their insane fangirl heads that he likes France and gets drunk a lot. Hopefully at the Hetalia panel, they'll only expect you to be in character when somebody says something in character to you and requests a response. Of course it's EASIER to know when they're doing this with ACCENTS...*shot for being a hypocrite*
Haha, anyway, WE don't need to worry about this because IT'S OKEY! WE'RE AMERICAN! Hetalia cosplay is...different. In its odd way. There is a lot of in-character play, but chances are that no one'll really expect you to be in character ALL THE TIME. They might say it jokingly, as Santa Finland said, and I'll probably get a lot of that because I'm incredibly loud and obnoxious as opposed to my character. However, do keep close to a seme character. When in-character, France cosplayers can be dangerous. o.O
ACen 2011: Norway[Hetalia], casual!Prussia[Hetalia], child!Third Doctor[Doctor Who]

vFuture ideas
gijinka!K-9[Doctor Who]60%, gijinka!Intelligence Core[Portal]40%, normal!Jade[Homestuck]50%, Duelist Kingdom!Bakura[YuGiOh]5%, student!Evangeline[Negima!?]50%, Lieutenant!Aizen[Bleach]30%

I'm open for costume-designing commissions!

#32 User is offline   Siren Noel 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58992

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

People, people PEOPLE! Wow...

I am unsettled to hear all these ridiculous stories! If I wanted to see the character, I'd watch the anime. I go to cons to see HUMANS be HUMANS. Roleplaying is a fun bonus, but good lord! To make the person look think and act like the "real deal". If I EVER heard someone exclude a cosplayer from a shoot because they were not "good enough", You best believe a rampage of verbal derogatory would ensue. I do not tolerate zealots that are rude to another human being. There is no "real deal". Cosplaying *whether it be Anime or not* is all about you and enjoying what you do. Not ACTUALLY trying to shapeshift into a cat in reality. (Sorry, Yoruichi! Never gonna happen!)

FYI:

ANIME IS NOT REAL. THERE IS NO REAL DEAL TO COMPARE WITH. SORRY! To every insulting remark out of the mouths of fanatics who cannot grasp reality and enjoy human company, I say unto them... You sir/ma'am, are a tool. Please return promptly to your mothers basement to continue your stint of social awkwardness, hentai marathons, and your in depth studies of ninjitsu. Good luck in life, pal.

Humans are imperfect and beautiful in every way. If you cannot handle that? Do us a favor, and shut your mouth. kthanks. :)

#33 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59638

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

View PostOutsane!, on 15 April 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

Not only are some con-goers rude, but fellow cosplayers! I was at a photoshoot last year and the mod of the shoot was excluding a girl out of the shot because her cosplay wasn't "good enough". I honestly could not believe it when I heard her say that. The photoshoots are for everyone - if she wanted a private photoshoot, she should have waited until every left or something.

I have not really experienced a lot of rudeness personally, but that incident above just made me realize the cattiness of the culture.

Nuh uh...! That really happened..?! >:( Ima cut them..!

View PostGabichox, on 15 April 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

@Outsane - Wow!! I mean WOOOW!!! I can't even believe that would happen. It makes me angry just reading about it :/

Im in the same boat. I'm still mad since I read this. Which sucks because now im in a really grumpy mood.

View PostSkogkatt, on 15 April 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

Don't worry, Hetalia fans(from my knowledge, of course) don't always follow standards, ESPECIALLY not accents. I wish they did do accents when in character, but that makes me a total hypocrite because I can't do a Norwegian accent for the life of me. When I see an England cosplayer doing the character right, I get EXCITED OUT OF MY MIND because some people got it into their insane fangirl heads that he likes France and gets drunk a lot. Hopefully at the Hetalia panel, they'll only expect you to be in character when somebody says something in character to you and requests a response. Of course it's EASIER to know when they're doing this with ACCENTS...*shot for being a hypocrite*
Haha, anyway, WE don't need to worry about this because IT'S OKEY! WE'RE AMERICAN! Hetalia cosplay is...different. In its odd way. There is a lot of in-character play, but chances are that no one'll really expect you to be in character ALL THE TIME. They might say it jokingly, as Santa Finland said, and I'll probably get a lot of that because I'm incredibly loud and obnoxious as opposed to my character. However, do keep close to a seme character. When in-character, France cosplayers can be dangerous. o.O

Ah. :3 But I will try to do a good accent anyhow (im just not excited for the criticism, but then thats their problem. :3 Im not bad at it, but I do forget to talk in it xD)People seem very kind and considerate here so I dont think there will be any problem like this at the panel. (good thing because I am NOT going to be in character all day.)
Yea...Francis cosplayer are dangerous... o_O hopefully I wont be stolen *is very short and WILL get lost in the shuffle*

View PostSiren Noel, on 15 April 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

FYI:

ANIME IS NOT REAL.

Check. And. Mate. :3

This post has been edited by SirArthurKirkland: 15 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

**The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them**ACen 2013 (Hopefully...Graduation is in the way..) England: %100 completed, Halloween2010!England %0, 2P!England %1, Chibirisu %0, Jeanne de Arc %0, Yukio %0, Ciel Phantomhive %0
Main dA boi, dA Advice Account, Youchube Account
Babe, you mean more to me than you can ever know.

#34 User is offline   PsychoNoble 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19345

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

This never happened to me personally, but it did happen to a friend of mine back in Acen 09' - Nick (iirc), who cosplayed as Phoenix Wright (myself being Edgeworth.) For starters, Phoenix's suit is blue. Like blue, blue. Nick's was a much darker blue, like a navy.

Anyhow, these people came up to him and said - "Who're you supposed to be?"
He said - "I'm Phoenix Wright!"
They replied (with a smug attitude) - "The suit, man. He doesn't wear black! Get it right." And they walked away.
Now you knew they were PW fans, and you could totally tell Nick was cosplaying as Phoenix.
We were in the Hyatt lobby, so the lighting was a bit dark - but it still looked blue, so I'm not sure where they got black from.

Ugh, you could tell his heart was totally broken, and we knew he felt really bad! We cheered him up, but still.
Regardless, that's how you ruin someone's experience. I know plenty of con people are socially awkward & everything, but if you come to the convention with an attitude like that, lose it or stay home.

This post has been edited by PsychoNoble: 15 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

" The chaos is over. But I'm sure you too can see the dark clouds on the horizon - Enjoy this brief respite. "

#35 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

I had my Kisuke Urahara sword with me and this guy came up to me while I was sitting down and was sort of awkward. He talked to me about the sword a little bit before finally going "my swords better" and running off. It was weird.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#36 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

Well... I've been denied the chance to take someone's picture, after they had let others take it... I've been told my costume completely sucked... The amount of people like this astounded me, I mean... Isn't this supposed to be just for fun?
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#37 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostRanko, on 15 April 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

Well... I've been denied the chance to take someone's picture, after they had let others take it... I've been told my costume completely sucked... The amount of people like this astounded me, I mean... Isn't this supposed to be just for fun?

I'll cut them D:<

It is all just for fun. Which is a reason why I wonder people act like that :/ Since theres no stopping these harassments and vulgar words I guess all we can do is ignore it and just enjoy ourselves. If they have a problem with it I just won't care because then THEY would have a problem and not ME--im just having a good time.

But I hope no one breaks down or get completely upset if someone talks real bad smack about their cosplay :( I want to help them feel better.

Ugh this remiinds me...My England costume is like an olive green, my boots are black, and Im tanned skinned (which wont really help for my chii cosplay either..) hopefully people wont insult me on those criteria and or others they will be enthusiatically find
**The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them**ACen 2013 (Hopefully...Graduation is in the way..) England: %100 completed, Halloween2010!England %0, 2P!England %1, Chibirisu %0, Jeanne de Arc %0, Yukio %0, Ciel Phantomhive %0

#38 User is offline   Siren Noel 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Once again.

Anime/Manga. is. not. real.

this is all you need to say to those who must absolutely open their gaping pieholes at you.

#39 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Yes yes oh of course its not real, but it would not stop some people from feeling very discouraged by hurtful comments. :(

I must and shall be doing that if someone hates on my or my friends cosplays--telling them off in such ways. Not immature or vulgar way though; not very lady like if I were to speak in such manners, but its better off if we would just leave it alone and enjoy the con :)

This post has been edited by SirArthurKirkland: 15 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

#40 User is offline   audaciouska241 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10462

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

View PostKrystal, on 15 April 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

This story actually turned out not to be a rude cosplayer (like I thought at first), just funny as heck. It was my first Acen, 2008. I was Lucy from Elfen Lied, and I had on the black dress outfit and the mask from the first episode.

So, this L cosplayer stops me, and this is our conversation.

L: Why did you bring that?

Me: Huh? It's from the anime?

L: Yeah I know, but it's the completely wrong time for the prop. You're wearing the outfit she wears at the end. If you wanted to use that prop, which is from the beginning, you would have to be naked.

Me: Well I obviously can't-

L: You know what? I'll give you this. It IS a good prop, and it'd be a shame to waste it. If you want to cosplay more "accurately", here's my room number. *Gives me room number and walks away*

Me: ....0_o What just happened.

That's hot! :lol:

#41 User is offline   Siren Noel 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

I like (and am graciously gifted and talented at) to make people feel incredibly uncomfortable. Words are hardly even necessary! If they want to ensure perfection in others, it only takes a very stern look to make the foe feel vividly and palpably imperfect themselves. : )

voila!

#42 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

View PostPsychoNoble, on 15 April 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

This never happened to me personally, but it did happen to a friend of mine back in Acen 09' - Nick (iirc), who cosplayed as Phoenix Wright (myself being Edgeworth.) For starters, Phoenix's suit is blue. Like blue, blue. Nick's was a much darker blue, like a navy.

-snip-

If this is the person I'm thinking of, I believe I may have taken a picture of him in the lobby. :3 Anyways, the color wasn't that big a deal. The cosplay was recognizable so whatever. I didn't think it was bad.

As for rude comments, I haven't gotten any and hope that continues. It helps that none of the people I'm cosplaying this year really have distinguishable traits and whatnot in terms of personality (except for Phoebe, but a lot of people haven't read the manga so~). One thing that gets me are people at photoshoots. The ones who go in, interrupt the shoot, and shove all the other cosplayers to the side just to get certain people. It's like, you couldn't wait until group shots are over before you started making noise? >:| I understand someone may be super happy to see their favorite character, but disrupting a shoot is inconsiderate to both the cosplayers and others trying to get pictures.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#43 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17804

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

View PostKrystal, on 15 April 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

L: You know what? I'll give you this. It IS a good prop, and it'd be a shame to waste it. If you want to cosplay more "accurately", here's my room number. *Gives me room number and walks away*

Me: ....0_o What just happened.

I lawled. xD
ACen '07 Cosplay: Mamimi from FLCL
ACen '08 Cosplay: Akari-chan from Aria the Animation
ACen '09 Cosplay: Mithos from Tales of Symphonia
ACen '10 Cosplay: Shinooka from Oofuri/Big Windup!
ACen '11 Cosplay: Ayase from No Money (Okane ga nai!)
ACen '11 Cosplay: Adele from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
ACen '12 Cosplay: TinTin from 'The Adventures of TinTin'
ACen '13 Cosplay: Hibari from Senran Kagura

#44 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Artie: too bad not doing Russia this year. I would totally want to see someone say stuff for lols. "OMG RUSSIA ISN'T BLACK!" "Hey girl you are too short to be Russia." (Is about 5'8-5'9'') "OMG YOU-" *pulls out pipe*

"OMG can you speak russian?"

Me: Я приму вас сверх и вы станете одним с мной да?

*Fangirls dieing*

both reactions would be funny.

As long as you don't come in waiter gear and is actually drunk I don't have a problem with your outfit >.<

Krystal: .......you two still talking?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#45 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 15 April 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

Artie: too bad not doing Russia this year. I would totally want to see someone say stuff for lols. "OMG RUSSIA ISN'T BLACK!" "Hey girl you are too short to be Russia." (Is about 5'8-5'9'') "OMG YOU-" *pulls out pipe*

*Fangirls dieing*

As long as you don't come in waiter gear and is actually drunk I don't have a problem with your outfit >.<

Lol yeah it would xD

Darn..! And I was hoping to wear it. Aw well :3

#46 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

*Fangirls dieing*

Ha! I was 15! I threw out the number and never saw him again.

This post has been edited by Krystal: 15 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#47 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:33 AM

View Postaudaciouska241, on 14 April 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

LMAO! It's only that funny to me because I know you. XD

I always assume people are not in character and if they are, it's just a nice touch. It can be tiring acting in character at all times, it's much easier to just be me.

I think I've only had one person say something kinda rude to me, I was cosplaying as the Baroness from the 1980's GI Joe cartoon. A guy asked for my picture, and he said "You're the 4th Baroness I've seen today!" And I said "Oh, but the best one right? HAR HAR" And he said "eh, nah, not really" in a not joking tone. So I stopped posing, stepped out of frame, meanwhile my friends shouted at him "BOOO, NO PICTURE FOR YOU! BOOO!"

I think I won that time. XD

I WANT TO SEE A PICTURE OF THAT! *huge GI JOE FAN GIRL* *ahem* Anyway bravo for that, and that is insanely rude of him. How can someone say that when they have just asked for a picture of someone. You keep those thoughts to yourself. >_<

@Krystal: Okay that's a bit creepy coming onto a 15 year old girl like that. I Laughed though, gustsy way to get a girl's attention.

@Outsane: Wow just wow. Such actions would not be tolerated at the photoshoot I'm doing for the Nostalgic. Swear if anyone acts like that, they're being asked to leave. That is just rude.

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 16 April 2011 - 01:52 AM

~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#48 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostSiren Noel, on 15 April 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

I like (and am graciously gifted and talented at) to make people feel incredibly uncomfortable. Words are hardly even necessary! If they want to ensure perfection in others, it only takes a very stern look to make the foe feel vividly and palpably imperfect themselves. : )

voila!

That's HORRIBLE! You LIKE making people feel uncomfortable? :(

*Fangirls dieing*

YOU SERIOUSLY TALK RUSSIAN??? :w00t: *jealous on SO many levels* I wish I was good with languages. I do know some Hebrew, but I can't pronounce anything properly.
ACen 2011: Norway[Hetalia], casual!Prussia[Hetalia], child!Third Doctor[Doctor Who]

vFuture ideas
gijinka!K-9[Doctor Who]60%, gijinka!Intelligence Core[Portal]40%, normal!Jade[Homestuck]50%, Duelist Kingdom!Bakura[YuGiOh]5%, student!Evangeline[Negima!?]50%, Lieutenant!Aizen[Bleach]30%

#49 User is offline   TENIME_art 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18626

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 16 April 2011 - 01:33 AM, said:

I WANT TO SEE A PICTURE OF THAT! *huge GI JOE FAN GIRL* *ahem*

http://i563.photobuc...09/DSC04243.jpg

I'm Storm Shadow. There's a better shot somewhere, but that's all I got with my camera.

This post has been edited by TENIME_art: 16 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

#50 User is offline   KeySmash 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 58635

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

>_< horrible memory at Kollision Con. A Group of cosplayers came up to me and chatted with before. But it bothered me that he kept on asking me questions on himself. Like "DO YOU KNOW WHAT SERIES IM FROM?!" or "ARE YOU AN OTAKU?!"

The worse was when he Stalkishly followed my group around. This boy came up to me again and asked to take a picture of me. I said yes and was about to leave after the picture. He came and asked.

"WELL AREN'T YOU GOING TO TAKE A PICTURE OF ME NOW?"

Was I obligated to take a picture of him? Pfft. I just couldn't handle it anymore and excused myself.
Cosplays 2015~
Pyro (TF2)
Hinata Hyuga (Naruto)

#51 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

I did a kouga cosplay, and i saw a female kouga, and asked for a pic together. she looked me up and down, said "yeah right, and laughed" then walked away. Saw a few pics of he online while searching for me, so she wasn't camera shy.

i says she was jealous to make myself feel better. lol
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#52 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

View PostSkogkatt, on 16 April 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

YOU SERIOUSLY TALK RUSSIAN??? :w00t: *jealous on SO many levels* I wish I was good with languages. I do know some Hebrew, but I can't pronounce anything properly.

Not really. My Japanese is better than my Russian. I need a translator or a dictionary to make Hetalia fanfiction with Russia. It's lame because I am trying to get rosetta stone so I can speak fluent and cosplay Ivan.

Dark spell: I know a stormshadow and a snakeeyes and I have both of them in pictures if you want them.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 16 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#53 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 16 April 2011 - 04:45 PM, said:

Not really. My Japanese is better than my Russian. I need a translator or a dictionary to make Hetalia fanfiction with Russia. It's lame because I am trying to get rosetta stone so I can speak fluent and cosplay Ivan.

THAT WOULD BE SWEET~ A Russia cosplayer going around talking in Russian. I love it when people go for authenticity in-character. YEAH FOR PACKING CHARACTER-APPROPRIATE LUNCHES! Often times people will add snippets of the language when in-character for Hetalia. Basic words like "Hello" are really all you need most of the time, especially since other people won't generally know more than that. XD Do you do accents, too? (Wow, that sounded like a silly question judging by the magnitude implied earlier.)
I don't usually like UC fanfiction, but I'd be sure to check yours out if it's on the internet. ^^

vFuture ideas

#54 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

Skogkatt: My goal is to cosplay Russia and know fluent Russian by next year. And probably bring candies from Russia. Kefir is out of the question though. I was going to do CD Russia so I got time to save again for Acen 2012.

Well I do America so what accent should I have? The most I noticed is voice pitch change in the original subbed anime. His voice is tenor and gets really high pitched when he gets excited so that's basically how I normally am (most of the time.) If you don't notice it listen to the America CD and watch early episodes of the anime. It's hard to notice. In the dub it's just a normal caucasian guy's voice.

To be frank I am more like Matthew than Alfred though; I don't talk a lot normally. When I do do Alfred I think outside the box and try to speak up a whole lot, make crazy suggestions, and say of course cause I am the hero with thumbs up and teeth sparkle. Oh and I do wear glasses in real life so...

This year going to be creeper America than last year. So going to go around and spook some Hetalia cosplayers to 'be one with me and Vanya-I mean Russia.'

Nothing Francis nature though.

Correction: I still have Storm shadow and Snake eyes from a few years back from Anime reactor. >.<
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#55 User is offline   Skogkatt 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

Fujoshi: FLUENT IN A YEAR?! WOAH!! You must have excellent linguistic talent. Either way, you set seriously high goals. *still incredibly jealous*
I don't have a good grasp of American accents(they all sound the same to me XD), but this is what he sounds like in the dubbed version: America's attack plan, DUB

I...have a tendency to go seriously off-topic. XD

vFuture ideas

#56 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

View PostDeadCruiser, on 15 April 2011 - 02:29 AM, said:

But, to stay sort of on topic here, I had something like this happen, but in reverse. It wasn't at a convention, but funny nonetheless. Cirque Du Soleil was in town and they had performers going around the city to promote. I went to one of the places they were at with my girlfriend and I tried talking to the performer, but she would not break character. She was dressed like a weird clown/ring leader and had on a top hat. I remember she didn't say anything, but was acting things out through gestures. There was nobody else around but her and I at this point, too.

I was just trying to ask her what it was like being in Cirque Du Soleil and where she got started. After like five minutes of me trying to get through to her, and I remember this part perfectly....she stopped, put her hand on her chin and looked at me for a few seconds. She was doing that puzzled, squinty eyed look. She made the gesture like "Eureka!" and pointed at me and was gesturing me to close my eyes. So I did. I felt something on my face and she tapped me on the forehead. I opened my eyes to see her grinning at me and realized that I now had a clown nose on.

So, needless to say, my questions did not get answered and I doubt I'll ever have an experience where someone actually refuses to break character again.

I would have died laughing if I'd seen that. Just sayin'. :3

The thing about being a character is this: it's one thing to cosplay a character. But staying in character for the entire time? For some that might take more blood, sweat, and tears than the costume itself. (Heath Ledger kept himself in solitude for a month while creating his Joker for The Dark Knight. I couldn't do that.) I was in theatre during high school and college, and while I can stay in character for a decent amount of time...there are times when you have to take a break. For instance, if I were to cosplay a character who LOVES food and has no problem stuffing her face like a caveman, I can tell you with all certainty that I wouldn't be doing that while eating a meal in costume. I have no desire to act like that, for real or not, and if anyone were to stop and tell me that I was breaking character, I would simply look them right in the eye, nod with a smile, and go right back to eating my meal in relative peace. (Now, if they were to stop and politely ask for my picture - extra points if they say "sorry for interrupting" - then I'd be more than happy to give them a pose~)

Plus, some people may not know this, but staying in character gets tiring - especially if said character's usual behavior is NOTHING like your own, and if they have a particular accent that you don't have naturally. I'd have a difficult time cosplaying Lieutenant Rip van Winkle from Hellsing and staying in character for this reason. She's one of my favorite characters, but would take a long time for me to perfect her accent, and if I were told to speak at length like her and sing, I'd be in trouble. (I'm an okay singer, but I'm not gonna attempt opera in a German accent.)

That said, no cosplay is perfect. Some are good, some are extraordinary, and some simply aren't. To be fair, any imperfections could be there for any number of reasons, be it finances, availability of material, or physical limitations. Some elitists, unfortunately, are blind to these limitations that individual cosplayers may have, or just choose to be critical in harsh ways. This is where the other skin-thickening point comes in: not only can some people not be pleased, others simply don't have that little filter in their heads that says, "Shut up, don't do/say that!" It's a shame that they behave in such a manner, rather than be more constructive and polite. My own husband is a very hard sell on cosplayers - he will happily take photos of those portraying his favorite characters, but if he has any criticism, he wisely keeps it to himself, or (if conversation allows) he might offer polite suggestions on how to improve said cosplay. He never behaves like the other sad examples in this thread, and in fact looks down on them.

It's for this reason that I know making his dream cosplay of Lezard Valeth from Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria will indeed be a labour of love, lol

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 16 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#57 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

Valkyrie you summed it up pretty well. Wanted to add that some people are perfectionist so they must see their fantasies or cosplay characters played out to a T or it's not right.

Skogkatt: I got the dub here in my closet of doom so I plan to attempt to do Alfred's accent right by watching the dub a week before Acen. A week because I have to work temp early may and other crap.

Yes I will be planning to learn Russian in a year because I wanted to do it for years, Hetalia just pushed it over the age.

Ivan's accent is hard though; his voice pitch changes a LOT. But it does sound childish so I can attempt to sing song Russian fairly easy. That and my voice is suppose to be squeaky at times.

I won't be 100% fluent but I will be speaking Russian by 2012.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 16 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#58 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:12 AM

View PostTENIME_art, on 16 April 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

http://i563.photobuc...09/DSC04243.jpg

I'm Storm Shadow. There's a better shot somewhere, but that's all I got with my camera.

Oh that is an awesome group shot. And whoever said that about her baroness was a jerk! That pose and the look in the face plus outfit are to die for perfect. Wow I'm jealous of how cool you all look.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#59 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 16 April 2011 - 04:45 PM, said:

Dark spell: I know a stormshadow and a snakeeyes and I have both of them in pictures if you want them.

Yes Please and thank you for the offer, It's rather hard finding cosplayers of the 80s cartoons I've seen as a kid.

And I'm really impressed that you know both languages Fujoshi. Not to many people can be trilingual.

Pardon the Pause

#60 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 38289

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:16 AM

I am now afraid to do my cosplays this year because of what I read on rude cosplayers AND rude fans. I already feel like I know what could happen.

"You're supposed to be Rakshata? But she's Indian, not BLACK."
-This particular one might make me go off, because cosplaying is not about race. It is about having FUN.

"That outfit isn't exactly right..." (I'm doing her first set of clothes from the season)

"You're too overweight to do that!" ( >__> I have a big BUST, I am not fat!)

"Act like Rakshata/Integra!" (Rakshata lies on a couch most of the time... and Integra barks orders at Alucard... WTF am I supposed to do beyond pose?)

"Integra has a British accent, could you do it?" (Er... I can try, but it will suck)

These are just a few things I am prepared for. That or just being completely overlooked because my costumes aren't exactly up-to-par. I think I did pretty good with both in all honesty. I'm not magazine material yet but who is at their second con ever?

BTW, Fujoshi, I am jealous of your language-learning ability. I want to steal this from you so I can pass the necessary foreign language courses I have to take.

This post has been edited by DarkMimi: 17 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

2014 Cosplay Plans
Bioshock Infinite - Daisy Fitzroy (0% Completed)
Batman - Talia Al Gul (0% Completed)
Princess Peach: Military Style (0% Completed)

Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X, and Borderlands 2
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! HERE!!!
I <3 Friends Who Keep In Touch

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users