Anime Central Forums: Rude Cosplay Fans - Anime Central Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rude Cosplay Fans Or People that like to tell you that You're doing the charcter wro

#211 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

View Posteat_me_for_I_am_peeps, on 27 November 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

LAAAAAAAAAAAWL
OH MY GOD THAT'S SO GREAT XDDDD
I haven't had a rude comment yet, and if I were to get one for my Medusa cosplay (which I made IN ONE PIECE)
...lets just say I would get REALLY into character and they would get a vector arrow to the face XD

i have to say.. that is one of the more elaborate ways to get a girl to come to your room "you wanta be true to the cosplay right?"

This post has been edited by Nikku: 21 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#212 User is offline   Izuhara_Torozu 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61968

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostNikku, on 21 April 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

i have to say.. that is one of the more elaborate ways to get a girl to come to your room "you wanta be true to the cosplay right?"

Great Scott.. does.. does it work?! :rolleyes: ahahaha
Whether a tree lives to see the end of centuries
Or a random hand picks in instantly
Life is art, a miracle for all to believe
I must tell you that you lived beautifully

#213 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

If it does, we are all in trouble. *Grinning* though i'll give it credit..IF it works.
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#214 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

I saw a few posts come up about the issue of race and I was just wondering has anyone ever gotten any grief for being the ("insert race/ethinicity" Version of said cosplay) ? Because Since I can't afford a wig too look like Minako Arisato's from SMT:Persona 3 Portable I'm just doing my hair up and attaching a wavy black pony tail so the hair style is basically the same but the color of her hair is brownish not black like mine is. (I'm African-American). and I saw some mention of not having the appropriate wig , I also will have accompanied with me my naginata, which I would hope make me even more recognizable along with my outfit.. which isn't the best but it's somewhat recognizable. i dunno. reading all this had made me rather I dunno . On egde about Cosplaying Minako on Friday.

Minako Arisato
Posted Image

I didn't care about the differences in skin color with my Squall Cosplay at all. i was like .."screw what some jerks says about skin color and cosplay. i love Squall and I'll be him !" But for some reason I'm a bit I dunno not worried perse..but it's irking me about Minako..especially since Persona is a rather obscure series here. I haven't been involved in the Shin Megami Fanbase for too long.. It's been about 2 years so I'm not sure how they would react . Oh and As far as Rude Cosplayers I haven't seen anything in person but browsing the web I've found people getting mad whenever My Little Pony Cosplayers would be not white and being any of the ponies. I saw a pic of a girl who was Twilight Sparkle and was African American and it was on some site called ponybooru or something and people were commenting that twilight Sparkle isn't black or that the cosplay is ruined. Same for when people draw some of the ponies being different races for instance on DA I saw someone complaining about when people draw pinkie Pie as being black .

Squall Cosplay
Posted Image

This post has been edited by BreBre716: 22 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

ACen 2014 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3
100%
Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion 100%
Tidus 97%

#215 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostBreBre716, on 22 April 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

I saw a few posts come up about the issue of race and I was just wondering has anyone ever gotten any grief for being the ("insert race/ethinicity" Version of said cosplay) ? Because Since I can't afford a wig too look like Minako Arisato's from SMT:Persona 3 Portable I'm just doing my hair up and attaching a wavy black pony tail so the hair style is basically the same but the color of her hair is brownish not black like mine is. (I'm African-American). and I saw some mention of not having the appropriate wig , I also will have accompanied with me my naginata, which I would hope make me even more recognizable along with my outfit.. which isn't the best but it's somewhat recognizable. i dunno. reading all this had made me rather I dunno . On egde about Cosplaying Minako on Friday.

Minako Arisato
Posted Image

I didn't care about the differences in skin color with my Squall Cosplay at all. i was like .."screw what some jerks says about skin color and cosplay. i love Squall and I'll be him !" But for some reason I'm a bit I dunno not worried perse..but it's irking me about Minako..especially since Persona is a rather obscure series here. I haven't been involved in the Shin Megami Fanbase for too long.. It's been about 2 years so I'm not sure how they would react . Oh and As far as Rude Cosplayers I haven't seen anything in person but browsing the web I've found people getting mad whenever My Little Pony Cosplayers would be not white and being any of the ponies. I saw a pic of a girl who was Twilight Sparkle and was African American and it was on some site called ponybooru or something and people were commenting that twilight Sparkle isn't black or that the cosplay is ruined. Same for when people draw some of the ponies being different races for instance on DA I saw someone complaining about when people draw pinkie Pie as being black .

Squall Cosplay
Posted Image

The issue of race is far deeper than cosplay. Granted i do have that perfectionist voice in my head going"NOOOOO NO NO NO NO NOOO" I also get that nearly all of us would be incorrect as they are japanese...not white. When it comes up with "oh your black squall" its more a matter they just don't like seeing black people. The my little pony thing is both surpising and NOT surpising. This IS the internet after all, do we really expect love and peace? Personally i'm learning to shut my perfectionist voice up to look at the cosplay itself. How well is is made.. how good's the details, the person cosplaying it either helps or hurts but being of a race or sex shouldn't really disqualify it for its appeal. That's just the classic racism this country has. And flame me if you want but we are going to have this issue for a while. There are going to be those who just get pissed off seeing blacks or mexicans or anyone not white liking the same thing's they do and using pitful excuse's to cover up the hate "oh your cosplay's cheap, you ruined it by being black she/he's not black"

#216 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostNikku, on 22 April 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

The issue of race is far deeper than cosplay. Granted i do have that perfectionist voice in my head going"NOOOOO NO NO NO NO NOOO" I also get that nearly all of us would be incorrect as they are japanese...not white. When it comes up with "oh your black squall" its more a matter they just don't like seeing black people. The my little pony thing is both surpising and NOT surpising. This IS the internet after all, do we really expect love and peace? Personally i'm learning to shut my perfectionist voice up to look at the cosplay itself. How well is is made.. how good's the details, the person cosplaying it either helps or hurts but being of a race or sex shouldn't really disqualify it for its appeal. That's just the classic racism this country has. And flame me if you want but we are going to have this issue for a while. There are going to be those who just get pissed off seeing blacks or mexicans or anyone not white liking the same thing's they do and using pitful excuse's to cover up the hate "oh your cosplay's cheap, you ruined it by being black she/he's not black"

I agree with you it is more deep rooted than just cosplay and with the internet it gives people the way to express how they feel even in extreme negative ways because you can connect with so many people and teh chances of being face to face with them are slim. I got no grief from my Squall cosplay...
I just don't wanna here any b@tching about my Minako Cosplay Frday. It's my second year, i'm trying to become a better cosplayer...my cosplay may not be 100% right but I'm doing the best I can. I guess i should just say screw it I'm doing the best I can so i'll cosplay as I please.
ACen 2014 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3
100%
Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion 100%
Tidus 97%

#217 User is offline   Grimmons 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18620

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostBreBre716, on 22 April 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

I agree with you it is more deep rooted than just cosplay and with the internet it gives people the way to express how they feel even in extreme negative ways because you can connect with so many people and teh chances of being face to face with them are slim. I got no grief from my Squall cosplay...
I just don't wanna here any b@tching about my Minako Cosplay Frday. It's my second year, i'm trying to become a better cosplayer...my cosplay may not be 100% right but I'm doing the best I can. I guess i should just say screw it I'm doing the best I can so i'll cosplay as I please.

That's EXACTLY what you should do. Screw everyone else, you enjoy your cosplay and others will to. It's about having fun and dressing up and if that's what's gonna happen when you wear that costume then you do it.

Also, don't mean to come off as commanding but that really makes me mad when people talk trash.
ACen 2014

Bilbo Baggins
Yu Yu Hakusho - Hiei
Wizard of Oz/Oz the Great and Powerful - Wicked Witch

#218 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Ok,, this may be a bit evil but they wanta complain about race in the cosplay? use that against them and make them run like scared chickens when you go all "crazy black lady" on them.. No racist know how's to handle it and it'd be amazing to see someone running away in pure terror.

#219 User is offline   Izuhara_Torozu 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61968

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostNikku, on 22 April 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Ok,, this may be a bit evil but they wanta complain about race in the cosplay? use that against them and make them run like scared chickens when you go all "crazy black lady" on them.. No racist know how's to handle it and it'd be amazing to see someone running away in pure terror.

If that were an anime scene it'd probably be hilarious!
Whether a tree lives to see the end of centuries
Or a random hand picks in instantly
Life is art, a miracle for all to believe
I must tell you that you lived beautifully

#220 User is offline   Dark Kanine 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60877

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

I didnt do the rave tonight because of the fire alarm, I waited and after the alarm went off I said fixk it
Dark Kanine (Steam)
Dark_Kanine (PSN)

#221 User is offline   Dark Kanine 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60877

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Also, on Saturday after I was able to see the two famous gamers outside of the tv screen, I sat down to watch My lil pony while eating lunch, this random chick who was next to me just gave me the dirtiest sneer and goes, "can I help you?" in that lil snotty tone. In actuality I replied "no" in a blank tone when in my mind all I could wonder was what pole was up hers?
Dark Kanine (Steam)
Dark_Kanine (PSN)

#222 User is offline   YasuiGetups 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61650

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

Just wanted to apologize to everyone I accidentally smacked with my Excalbibur mask...especially in the elevators!

Unlike the real Excalibur, I wouldn't troll like that on purpose.
I didn't expect it to be that hard to navigate, especially when I went to a lot of trouble to try and predict how much visibility I'd have.
If it helps, I was walking into walls and tables all of Friday until I got the hang of using the eyeholes!
~Been: Nanako, Excalibur~
ACen 2013
~Aigis (Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena)~
~Nanako (Persona 4)
~Jenna (Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life)~

The name? It was 2 a.m, I'm somewhat Japanese-literate, and I can make a mean, cheap costume. That's why. <3

#223 User is offline   Graphospasm 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60344

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

I've experienced a few forms of rudeness during my collective cosplaying experience.

1. Cosplaying as Velma from Scooby Doo (yay retro?), a young woman rolled her eyes, sighed, and said, "Wow, you just ruined my childhood." I turned and asked for an explanation; she averted her eyes and mumbled something about miniskirts. (For the record, my skirt could barely have been classified as a 'mini.')

2. People berating myself and others for not dressing up as an anime character. I can understand that it's an anime convention and that an American cartoon isn't the same thing, but to be rude about the whole affair doesn't seem like a productive means of having your opinion heard.

3. When cosplaying with a friend as a themed pair of characters, having photographers pick just one of us to photograph. It's happened innocently (they didn't see either me or my partner and didn't realize there were two of us) but I've had someone wave me or my friend out of a shot before with no excuse save for an apologetic smile.

4. Again when in themed costumes: having someone approach and say they like one of us better or thinks one of us is more attractive than the other, in front of the other person. I've also been pulled aside in order to be told they like me better, which is only slightly less rude since, at the very least, they're honoring the other person's pride. I can only assume this has happened to my partner as well.

5. Getting groped or having my skirt flipped. The jerks always vanish into the crowd before I can sick IRT on them.
Cosplay:
--Carmen Sandiego--Velma Dinkley--Utena Tenjou--Botan from Yu Yu Hakusho--Teen Titan's Raven--Pinkie Pie

#224 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61317

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

@Graph, I get the "no no, just you" thing all the $&%# time when my husband and I are in Final Fantasy garb. We cosplay Cid and Shera Highwind, the latter of whom had no official art and only exists as a sprite. Still, you can tell basically what she looks like, so I extrapolated based on other character designs. Anyways, girls will run up on him and try to "party with the Captain!" whilst I'm left holding their bags. Even men will ignore me in favor of just him, regardless of whether he and I are holding hands at the time. Loosely related gripe: being mistaken for Lucretia from Dirge of Cerberus and hearing, "hey, I just saw your son back there" or "die, Shinra scum!" I always reply, " Not my department! Aerospace Engineering!" The colors she wears are completely different, and it's not my fault that years after FF7 they decided to design Lucretia 90% to what my gal already looked like. Shera did the long ponytail, glasses, lab coat and below thd knee skirt first, consarnit. >_<;
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku
Naoto Shirogane (detective ver.)

#225 User is offline   Charise 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62237

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

At Youmacon last year I cosplayed as Sookie Stackhouse and I had someone come up to me and say, "Sookie? You're not supposed to be here!"

#226 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 49931

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Now, I haven't read the entire thread because laziness, but what I did read had me think that the cosplay community, the fragment that criticizes and is a bit elitist, needs to understand that we're a subculture. A damn awesome subculture at that. With that, going to an anime convention, whether in cosplay or not, you're for the fandom. The nerdiness. The anime. The comics. Etc, etc. Going there and belittling people on their costumes just because of characteristic or physical inaccuracies just seems like an awkward and twisted form of internal butthurt on their part or a mental deficiency in which, mentioned before, their fantasy has been shattered because the cosplay is not EXACTLY like the character in the medium they viewed them in. This, to me, seems like the bottom line. It's something wrong with THEM, not the people they're criticizing and I can actually back this up with a tad bit of scientific mumbo jumbo if anyone wants to deal with the area of broken perception. But yeah. Very rude people indeed.
Saikyo is the basis of every single martial art! They just don't know it yet...>.>!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Genderbent Edward (Cowboy Bebop)

#227 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

So I know I commented on this thread once (sorry, I tend to forget and get lazy myself, lol.) Sometimes I wish some people would stay quiet if they notice an imperfection but it's not all that bad and sometimes encourages me personally to improve. As Two Face, I had a few complaints from people that I didn't have the double sided coin. It was a bit irritating but I did think to myself "Maybe I should have done it." I don't hold it that much to heart, but for most part the people who say stuff like that aren't the ones cosplaying. LOL
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#228 User is offline   Aphex 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 27543

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

I've never received a rude comment from someone but my sister did last year (2011). She went as England from Hetalia in his regular military uniform and this girl stopped her in the dealers room and screamed "Hey! It's an Asian England!! WOW! You're the first one I've seen!! Though I've seen better. lol Even Asians can't cosplay as him". She leaves and my sister became extremely pissed she decided to stop cosplaying. She even stored her England cosplay somewhere in the house where she will never see it again. I found it but I know it would make her sad if she sees it.

#229 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostAphex, on 14 May 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

I've never received a rude comment from someone but my sister did last year (2011). She went as England from Hetalia in his regular military uniform and this girl stopped her in the dealers room and screamed "Hey! It's an Asian England!! WOW! You're the first one I've seen!! Though I've seen better. lol Even Asians can't cosplay as him". She leaves and my sister became extremely pissed she decided to stop cosplaying. She even stored her England cosplay somewhere in the house where she will never see it again. I found it but I know it would make her sad if she sees it.

Wow what a.........skank.

Seriously so what if England is asian; if she had the brows who cares. I mean Hetalia IS FROM JAPAN. Just because it has world nations doesn't mean a thing. I hope you can encourage your friend to cosplay again!

I know I posted before but this is similar:

I remember arguing with someone on a forum site about Hetalia and asked "Why is America white considering that America is a pot country," since someone commented me on cosplaying America, since I am too black like Bre. Someone typed: "America from Hetalia is white because most of the world is made of white people! So unless you cosplay and you're white you're doing it wrong."

-Shaking head over and over again-

I actually found out that America is based on the Japanese's perception of Americans: Gun carrying, loud, flag waving and awesome, and blond/blue eyed. Where did I find this out at? Jlist of all things.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#230 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

View PostCharise, on 30 April 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

At Youmacon last year I cosplayed as Sookie Stackhouse and I had someone come up to me and say, "Sookie? You're not supposed to be here!"

Maybe that was their awkward way of saying the character was supposed to be off doing the vampire thing? Silly little LARPish questions can be cute, but easily mistaken.

As for myself, I've gotten my share of rude comments either because I am overweight or because of my chest being something that people don't expect.

For the.. "positive".. I find it -incredibly- rude, tactless, and just flat out wrong when I find that someone has favorited my works into their fap folders:
Posted Image
Really? Don't you have a little more common sense to hide this junk?

For the "negative"..it's easiest to show my biggest example:
http://cactusmomma.d...later-210492785
http://animexx-en.on...285816/7715130/
Most of the comments are to the effect of YOUR BRA IS FALLING OFF. YOUR BRA IS TOO SMALL. Why do these not offend me? Because I'm aware of what was happening in the picture. I know that the bikini top is made of suede and leather.. tie tightly and keep medical tape over the nips.. that thing goes -nowhere-.. why I find them rude is that people a) don't read the description B) don't check their references c) if I say it isn't going anywhere, why don't you believe me? You weren't wearing the top, you don't have the chest to carry it.. why not push away from the keyboard and admit you're blowing things out of proportion?

If someone makes fun of me for my weight, so what? I'm fine being how I am and the size I am. I am cosplaying for the love of a character and series, not for your humor or special nighttime folder.

Edit: Wow. So I made a rant about guys like the 'positive' ones just to get it off my chest. I know it's a rampant problem for many people. The personal blaming here is just.. outstandingly disgusting. I used my own examples as a backup for what I was talking about and.. jeez.. people really don't like to read and comprehend. (And thus, here is a fine social experiment gone perfectly. I'll toss up further findings once 24 hours are up.)

#231 User is offline   Santa Finland 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59766

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostCharise, on 30 April 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

I'd then ask them where all the True Blood conventions are. Oh yeah, they don't exist.

I cosplay Jessica and I've gotten "Sookie isn't a redhead." Yeah, we wear the same Merlotte's uniform but other than the hair my fangs and blood tear should make it obvious I'm vampire Jessica and not human Sookie.
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
flapper!fem!America (Hetalia - Original design)
maid!Nitori (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013)

#232 User is offline   urbanfaerie 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5683

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

I'm lucky. I haven't gotten too much flack for cosplaying as Abby Sciuto, in fact, it's quite the opposite. This is a good thing. Though a lot of people say, "OMG, my Mom is going to be so jealous!". That's ok. I had a bunch of "normals" at my hotel last year who wanted pictures for Facebook. It made this one guy's day when I offered to pose WITH him.

I haven't had too many problems at conventions, but in Lolita, out in the real world? UGH. Some woman wanted my picture on the day of a meet up that was going BADLY. When I said, "Please, no pictures, it's been an awful day and I'm not at my best." She tried to guilt me into having my picture taken when I JUST wanted to get back to the picnic. (Long story, dogs had been allowed at the gardens and then this year, NOT, so MY MEETUP, I had to take my dog back 20 minutes each way, and my amazing boyfriend kept the meet up going and even set the picnic out perfectly. (He is amazing and super "well-trained" from watching how I like to do things. I am an epic picnic packer as well, he just had to set things out in order.)

I generally try to play to body type but ignore height. I'm tall, 5'8", so really, I just have to do everything I can to make myself look smaller, without slouching. For most characters I wear a sports bra to minimize "the girls". (I was overjoyed for Izumi Curtis from FMA when I had to go push up and padding. :)
[ACen 2012 Cosplays/Coordinates: (sooo much Lolita! Classic/Kuro)
Fuu from Samurai Champloo - her last "hurrah" before possible retirement.
Abby Sciuto - with an FMA mini-skirt of doom "surprise".
Izumi Curtis from FMA - It's warm enough to not wear the jacket and I've been dilligent with yoga. :) Hooray!

#233 User is offline   RiddlerFotografia 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62386

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostGraphospasm, on 30 April 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

I've experienced a few forms of rudeness during my collective cosplaying experience.

1. Cosplaying as Velma from Scooby Doo (yay retro?), a young woman rolled her eyes, sighed, and said, "Wow, you just ruined my childhood." I turned and asked for an explanation; she averted her eyes and mumbled something about miniskirts. (For the record, my skirt could barely have been classified as a 'mini.')

If I had known people would've walked around with Scooby Doo cosplays, I would've brought my little Shaggy cosplay with me & did the 'Haters gonna Hate' walk every time someone gave me a funny look. XD
Haters do pick on the cartoon costumes more than the anime, because it was more of their childhood. We're badasses and they have to deal with it.

This post has been edited by RiddlerFotografia: 21 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

/* ACen 2014 Cosplays */
    Friday
  • T.K. {Digimon Season 2}

Unable to attend. Will have Digimon cosplay for Daishocon.

#234 User is offline   cumberbitch 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61827

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I was standing in the registration line on Saturday And there were two Inuyasha cosplayers standing in front of me, They were pretty good. So we get a little further forward, and these girls standing on the other side of the railing started bashing Kagome's necklass and telling her she should have spent more time on her jewels. They were like, twelve. And their cosplay wasn't as good as Kagome's. There is so much crap I could rant about these girls. But I try to be a nice (and not rude) person.

This post has been edited by cumberbitch: 23 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

#235 User is offline   Katie Sama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 26237

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

I remember I had an incident during ACen 2011. I was dressed up as Tsubaki from Soul Eater, and I was very proud of it. I put so many hours into that costume. When I showed up at the convention, (I was with my best friend, I overheard a girl say to her friend (and very loudly might I add) say, "Too bad I'm too short to play Tsubaki! I should've gone as someone else!" I could tell she was looking directly at me x.x That comment was such a let down. My best friend kept telling me to "ignore them", but they continued to talk about how bad my costume was and how I wasn't tall enough to be Tsubaki. They ruined it. After that, I have never wanted to cosplay as her again. I really don't understand why people would purposely be rude at a convention that is supposed to be fun. I've always had fun at ACen, but seriously, they have to make smart-aleck comment about MY costume! I actually didn't even attend ACen, this year, because I was afraid I'd get some rude comment towards my cosplay :/
"If you can dream it, you can do it!"

#236 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostKatie Sama, on 21 June 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

I remember I had an incident during ACen 2011. I was dressed up as Tsubaki from Soul Eater, and I was very proud of it. I put so many hours into that costume. When I showed up at the convention, (I was with my best friend, I overheard a girl say to her friend (and very loudly might I add) say, "Too bad I'm too short to play Tsubaki! I should've gone as someone else!" I could tell she was looking directly at me x.x That comment was such a let down. My best friend kept telling me to "ignore them", but they continued to talk about how bad my costume was and how I wasn't tall enough to be Tsubaki. They ruined it. After that, I have never wanted to cosplay as her again. I really don't understand why people would purposely be rude at a convention that is supposed to be fun. I've always had fun at ACen, but seriously, they have to make smart-aleck comment about MY costume! I actually didn't even attend ACen, this year, because I was afraid I'd get some rude comment towards my cosplay :/

If you really didn't attend ACen because you were afraid that people would talk sh*t about your cosplay(s), then why not just go without cosplaying? Or better yet: stop giving a sh*t what other people (strangers, I might add) think of you and your cosplay(s). Life's too short to let someone else ruin your fun.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#237 User is offline   Santa Finland 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 16 May 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

Maybe that was their awkward way of saying the character was supposed to be off doing the vampire thing? Silly little LARPish questions can be cute, but easily mistaken.

As for myself, I've gotten my share of rude comments either because I am overweight or because of my chest being something that people don't expect.

For the.. "positive".. I find it -incredibly- rude, tactless, and just flat out wrong when I find that someone has favorited my works into their fap folders:
Posted Image
Really? Don't you have a little more common sense to hide this junk?

For the "negative"..it's easiest to show my biggest example:
http://cactusmomma.d...later-210492785
http://animexx-en.on...285816/7715130/
Most of the comments are to the effect of YOUR BRA IS FALLING OFF. YOUR BRA IS TOO SMALL. Why do these not offend me? Because I'm aware of what was happening in the picture. I know that the bikini top is made of suede and leather.. tie tightly and keep medical tape over the nips.. that thing goes -nowhere-.. why I find them rude is that people a) don't read the description B) don't check their references c) if I say it isn't going anywhere, why don't you believe me? You weren't wearing the top, you don't have the chest to carry it.. why not push away from the keyboard and admit you're blowing things out of proportion?

If someone makes fun of me for my weight, so what? I'm fine being how I am and the size I am. I am cosplaying for the love of a character and series, not for your humor or special nighttime folder.

Edit: Wow. So I made a rant about guys like the 'positive' ones just to get it off my chest. I know it's a rampant problem for many people. The personal blaming here is just.. outstandingly disgusting. I used my own examples as a backup for what I was talking about and.. jeez.. people really don't like to read and comprehend. (And thus, here is a fine social experiment gone perfectly. I'll toss up further findings once 24 hours are up.)

I just posted some lolita coords on my dA. After some people favorited them, I went to their profiles to thank them. I found that two of them mostly had porn in their favorites. I chose not to thank them and ignore it for now. But if they say anything sexual towards me, I will block them.
ACen 2014 Cosplays:

#238 User is offline   Noiz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62511

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

A years ago I was at the dealers room and it was really hot in there (Felt like 80). I was sitting down with a bunch of friends for lunch. I take off my jacket/blazer and stand up to stretch. I was wearing this collar sleeveless shirt and it is made to expose the shape of my waist. As I was standing up, this girl walks past me and tells me I'm way to skinny and told me she finds it disgusting people like me who are like twigs to be cosplaying. I eat my daily fruits and vegetables, I don't always eat junk food (only once a month with a soda) and I am not one of those people who sit and stare at the computer screen for hours.
A lot of people tell me I have a beautiful body and I respect that comment.
┈━═☆ αcεи 2 0 1 5 ☆═━┈
Akira [Togainu no Chi]
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]
Aoba Seragaki [DRAMAtical Murder]
Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]

#239 User is offline   Santa Finland 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Someone on a forum called people who complain about being sexually harassed while wearing a skimpy cosplay idiots. Apparently, "it's to be expected" so one shouldn't be complaining. Yet, this person has no problem with complaining about people who make rude comments about cosplayers in general.

I find the "it's to be expected" line to be very problematic. I was the victim of workplace harassment and that was one of the excuses my supervisors used to not take action.
ACen 2014 Cosplays:

#240 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Along those lines, something that's been popping up more: Skimpy costume/character in a towel/anything with cleavage or midriff =automatically= equals sexy. No regards to 'I'm in a group doing an artwork' or 'I really like this character, but this is what they wear'... it's instantly considered to be a cry for attention and appeal.

I recently saw a girl that the character she was doing was in a towel. They were labeled as test shots for a group..and knowing the girl, she really enjoys the character and sex appeal was more than likely the furthest thing from her mind (not that kind of girl). Well, she also cosplays with her young daughter and has photos of her on the same account. She was promptly chewed out for making 'porn'. She wasn't showing her midriff or exposing herself in any way, nor were the photos remotely sexual... but yet, she was humiliated because a group of girls decided it was immoral and something for a 'private site'. Made me sad, to be truthful.

What do you guys think about that sort of thing? Would something like that fall under the risque category and was it right that she was forced to take the photos down? Or were those chewing her out in the right?

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users