• This topic is locked

Help with a Writing assignment Questions about video games

#1 User is offline   ninjaxllama 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 17215

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

I have this writing assignment where I have to choose a problem to write about. It has to be something that I can relate to and have some experience with, so I decided to write about how people will be quick to blame violent actions on video games. I had to formulate a hypothesis and through my research either prove it to be correct or incorrect. Now as part of my research, I have to ask people about their own experiences, which so far I have done through facebook. I then thought, hey why not try the acen forums as well? So here's the question I asked people on facebook:

Sooo for anyone who plays video games, it would greatly help me out for a class if you told me a.) If you're a person who naturally shows sign of aggression or violent tendencies and b.) If you feel any violent tendencies after playing video games (mostly ones that are violent in nature themselves). You don't have to answer these exactly, but I mostly want to know how you feel after playing them. Thanks for any help. ^^
[color="#9932CC"]
ACen 2011 cosplay: Kakashi and Hiro from Gravitation
ACen 2012 cosplay: Hotohori from Fushigi Yugi, Kakashi, Tseng from ff7
ACen 2013 cosplay: Professor Chaos from South Park, Raven from Teen Titans, and Scott Pilgrim
ACen 2014 cosplay: Butters from South Park Stick of Truth, Him from Powerpuff Girls, and Scott Pilgrim
I am the Forum Llama...Beware my cute and fuzzy exterior

#2 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

I am... definitely not a violent person. XD. I play violent games on occasion, and never
once have I questioned the line between being aggressive in games, and being aggressive
in reality. I feel basically the same after playing a violent game than I do after playing a
RPG or puzzle game - entertained. I believe if someone acts out negatively after playing
a violent game, they're either extremely impressionable, or have some underlying mental
problems already that are being provoked by the game. Games causing violence, to me, is bull.

Hope I helped a little! :)

ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#3 User is offline   EndlessKey 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 47633

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Interesting topic

A. I'm a very calm person, and normally only get angered by idiocy. But I never take my agression out on anything, I just calm myself down.

B. I may get a little frustrated at some games (mainly shooters). I just stop playing the game and calm down, I never take my aggression out in the real world.

This post has been edited by EndlessKey: 07 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

#4 User is offline   sailormarymoon 

• Guest Assistants Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17295

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

A.) I am not a violent person. B.) I play violent video games and can tell the difference between games and reality. I usually play violent video games to relieve stress from work. So after I play the games I feel entertained and happier. I don't have violent tendencies after I play video games any more than watching a violent movie.

I hope this helps, you can PM me if I confused you.
My Facebook Myspace
O'Neill: "I'd like to apologize in advance for anything I may say or do that could be construed as offensive as I slowly go NUTS!!!" (SG-1)
ACEN 2008 Cosplay Pictures (also Host club panel photos) ACEN 2009 Cosplay Pictures

#5 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostEndlessKey, on 07 April 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

Interesting topic

A. I'm a very calm person, and normally only get angered by idiocy. But I never take my agression out on anything, I just calm myself down.

B. I may get a little frustrated at some games (mainly shooters). I just stop playing the game and calm down, I never take my aggression out in the real world.

Pretty much me to a T. Also, see the quote in my sig.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#6 User is offline   ninjaxllama 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17215

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the answers so far guys! They will certainly all help my paper. The internet is so useful in times like these. Plus, it's so fun to read everyone's responses as well.
[color="#9932CC"]
ACen 2011 cosplay: Kakashi and Hiro from Gravitation
ACen 2012 cosplay: Hotohori from Fushigi Yugi, Kakashi, Tseng from ff7
ACen 2013 cosplay: Professor Chaos from South Park, Raven from Teen Titans, and Scott Pilgrim
ACen 2014 cosplay: Butters from South Park Stick of Truth, Him from Powerpuff Girls, and Scott Pilgrim
I am the Forum Llama...Beware my cute and fuzzy exterior

#7 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

1. I usually only play survival horror games, or extremely violent ones, and I'm one of the least angry people I know. I just think its fun!

2. And after I play video games, I definitely don't feel violent or angry, I actually feel relaxed and just go on with my day.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#8 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

View Postninjaxllama, on 07 April 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

I have this writing assignment where I have to choose a problem to write about. It has to be something that I can relate to and have some experience with, so I decided to write about how people will be quick to blame violent actions on video games. I had to formulate a hypothesis and through my research either prove it to be correct or incorrect. Now as part of my research, I have to ask people about their own experiences, which so far I have done through facebook. I then thought, hey why not try the acen forums as well? So here's the question I asked people on facebook:

Sooo for anyone who plays video games, it would greatly help me out for a class if you told me a.) If you're a person who naturally shows sign of aggression or violent tendencies and b.) If you feel any violent tendencies after playing video games (mostly ones that are violent in nature themselves). You don't have to answer these exactly, but I mostly want to know how you feel after playing them. Thanks for any help. ^^

I recommend a documentary done by the History Channel about the history of comics. Why? The same arguments against them are now being used about video games.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=F8oCrc-siHU
I'd try to see the entire show. It's 2 hours, but very revealing.

This post has been edited by tfcreate: 07 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#9 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

I'm not a violent person but I was a short tempered person in high school. I still have a temper but I can control it. I do shout or get irate but that's really it. Depends on the person. I get more annoyed when I am around my mom or uncle than my son or my son's dad.

Been playing video games that were bad since I was five and haven't really done anything. I get mad but I don't want to throw a chair or shout and curse at the screen. The game I used to play was gunbound and I quit that due to trolling and other issues, not because of how it's a shooting game. The people there effected me more than the game itself and I knew it was an issue so I quit it.

That and too many high people play that game.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#10 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

I play rather graphic video games, but I am not a violent person whatsoever. In fact, my cubicle is covered with pictures of little bunnies <3
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#11 User is offline   Pikachii 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59683

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

I am violent in a playful way. I might smack (or punch) you in the arm, but I don't truly mean it and I only do it to my friends. I would never walk up to a stranger and hit them.

I feel the rage sometimes, and I USED to bite or hit the person who killed me. I don't do that any more, I grew out of it. Now I just pout and kill people (in game). End of story. If the game is really giving me trouble (1 player) I save it and turn it off. It is just a game.
^-^

#12 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

I'm aggressive in a competitive way. The only times I feel like smashing something is after a few rounds of Mario Kart 64, Bomberman, Fuzion Frenzy, etc. Games like that bring out the worst in me. Violent games like God of War don't instill any violent thoughts really. The action is just cool to watch.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#13 User is offline   LeenStar 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 41063

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hi, I did a research paper my freshman year of college about the connection with video games and violence. I figure I can give you a few tips and helpful information I found on the web and from books.

- Video games are actually helpful for kids with dyslexia and other conditions because it helps with cognitive skills (lots of good brain stimulation and hand-eye coordination as well).
- There have been studies that found a link between aggression and video games, but what the studies also found is that the majority of the kids who seem "violent, aggressive, and moody" after playing video games, are ALREADY violent and aggressive to begin with. Some kids have problems battling anxiety, depression, or just have anger issues- which are present before/after video games. So in conclusion, the studies made a correlation, but not a cause-and-effect (correlation is when two things/factors happen together, while cause and effect are links that cause one another).
- You can also include that in 1994, the ESRB was created in order for parents and kids to know what games are age appropriate.

I'm sorry if I just filled with you with useless information, but this is something that always sparked a little fire in me. I know a lot of people who play video games (including myself) and they are not violent/aggressive people. I think violent people are that way because of past experiences, life, or their personality. I tried to include a lot of interviews, studies, and videos on to my paper, but my teacher refused to side with me because of GTA. He almost gave me a failing grade for this paper, until I got serious and showed him some proof!

As far your question goes, I play a lot of shooters and horror games, but I also like Wii/DS games and like watching fighting games too. I don't consider myself violent, but I am competitive, so if I am online playing some sort of TEAM VS TEAM, I always get pumped (but in a good way). I don't go around punching things after I play, or scream/yell during.

This post has been edited by LeenStar: 07 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

leenstarsx3

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein.

#14 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

View PostLeenStar, on 07 April 2011 - 10:22 PM, said:

So in conclusion, the studies made a correlation, but not a cause-and-effect (correlation is when two things/factors happen together, while cause and effect are links that cause one another).

I don't mean to go off base, but I just have to post this now: http://xkcd.com/552/
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#15 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:49 PM

View Postninjaxllama, on 07 April 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

a.) If you're a person who naturally shows sign of aggression or violent tendencies

I'm usually only aggressive when stressed out. In context of video games I'm only violent when the game frustrates me but it mostly manifests into a slammed fist or something.

b.) If you feel any violent tendencies after playing video games (mostly ones that are violent in nature themselves).

No not really. As I said those only develop during play, if even. Even so I'm not going to go punch my mother because I knocked someone in a video game, that's stupid.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#16 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

I'm violent in that if a friend is trolling me, I might slug him in the arm or whatever. When I was in elementary and middle school, I had a really violent temper, but that usually just led to me yelling at people and telling them to shut up. Then, in high school I started playing MMOs, and I'm not sure if it was just because of the change of environment from middle school to high school, or me growing more mature just because time was passing, but I like to think that the MMOS had something to do with the fact that I started to calm down significantly around that time. Rather than feeling more violent after playing a video game, I generally feel less violent, because it's a good way to vent any frustrations.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#17 User is offline   LeenStar 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 41063

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

View Postwrexness, on 07 April 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

I don't mean to go off base, but I just have to post this now: http://xkcd.com/552/

ROFL xD
thank you, that's exactly how I always envisioned myself while explaining this.

leenstarsx3

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users