Anime Central Forums: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Anime Central Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic anyone else watching this show?? XDD

Poll: This show is... (64 member(s) have cast votes)

dumb!

1. hilarious! (21 votes [32.81%])

Percentage of vote: 32.81%

2. adorable! (28 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. weiiiiirrrrrdd (4 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. someone was high when making this show. (11 votes [17.19%])

Percentage of vote: 17.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 29 March 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

So how 'bout that Equestria Girls?

Something this fall...according to the NYT.

This post has been edited by rondo: 29 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

#242 User is offline   CharlotteStar 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11577

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostFantasia, on 27 March 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I was just so happy that twilight became an alicorn. I kinda knew it was gonna happen, but not like this! I came as such a surprise for me. I simp,y cheered in joy when she transformed!

Ugh, I was so annoyed when that happened lol. I think it's because Twilight is one of my least favorite ponies. <_<
ACen 14 Cosplay

Date a Live - Kurumi Tokisaki
Saturday.Sunday

#243 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

I like Twilight being a princess. She's always been a bit of control freak with a crazy attention to detail so it'll be interesting seeing how she copes that against her new found authority and powers.
All systems... GO!

#244 User is offline   Graphospasm 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60344

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

In terms of the show's appropriateness for children (especially little girls), I support Twilight's rise to royalty. She wasn't born royal. She worked hard, embodied the elements of harmony, and became a princess because she deserved it, not because she was born to play the role. The show sends the message that anyone can become a princess, and I think that's just plain awesome. If I were still a kid, I'd look up to Twilight for her accomplishments way more readily than I'd look up to a Disney bimbo (and sorry if that's harsh; I actually love the Disney princess movies).

I think the adult fans often forget MLP:FIM is a show for kids. Twilight's ascension makes sense in terms of MLP being a children's show.
Cosplay:
--Carmen Sandiego--Velma Dinkley--Utena Tenjou--Botan from Yu Yu Hakusho--Teen Titan's Raven--Pinkie Pie

#245 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

And now the show has started in Japan. Guess that means this show just gained more traction for representation at ACen. :P

#246 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

View Postrondo, on 02 April 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

And now the show has started in Japan. Guess that means this show just gained more traction for representation at ACen. Posted Image

Maybe. It does seem kind of inconsistent that they flat out said they would not approve any MLP panels but allowed Homestuck which is just as much not anime or Japanese.

This post has been edited by TheStrongJaeger: 02 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

All systems... GO!

#247 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 02 April 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

Maybe. It does seem kind of inconsistent that they flat out said they would not approve any MLP panels but allowed Homestuck which is just as much not anime or Japanese.

MLP is still a western creation at it's core. Though I don't know who is to blame for these non-anime explosions happening at anime centric conventions. ACen? The fans? The industry?

I don't know for certain, but it's beyond my/your/our control.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#248 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 03 April 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

MLP is still a western creation at it's core. Though I don't know who is to blame for these non-anime explosions happening at anime centric conventions. ACen? The fans? The industry?

I don't know for certain, but it's beyond my/your/our control.

Oh I'm not saying the decision to not allow MLP was wrong; It's an anime convention and MLP isn't anime. My complaint was more directed at the fact that other non-anime things like Homestuck were approved. If you ban one you ban both.
All systems... GO!

#249 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 03 April 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Oh I'm not saying the decision to not allow MLP was wrong; It's an anime convention and MLP isn't anime. My complaint was more directed at the fact that other non-anime things like Homestuck were approved. If you ban one you ban both.

Hmm, perhaps if someone was so inclined for next year's ACen, one could put up a panel analyzing Japan's reaction/acceptance of MLP, differences between the east and west versions, invite seiyuu who work on MLP's japanese translation...then you'd have a big argument that such a panel should be allowed.

As has been stressed lately, ACen isn't just about Anime and Manga anymore. It is apparently about Japanese culture in general with some heightened focus on anime and manga. Well, MLP is now becoming a part of that culture..though it'll be interesting to see what kind of foothold it can get.

EDIT: What's with my caps and non-caps.

This post has been edited by rondo: 04 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

#250 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Wait. Why is there a Homestuck panel at this year's ACen?
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#251 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostPrayer Police, on 04 April 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Wait. Why is there a Homestuck panel at this year's ACen?

That was exactly my question. It's not anime or Japanese so by the new rules it shouldn't have been approved. All other non-anime or Japanese ones were turned down like MLP, Doctor Who, etc.
All systems... GO!

#252 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Homestuck was chosen over Doctor Who!!!?
*RAGE
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

#253 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

As a recent out-of-the-closet brony, that kind of ticks me off. ACen isn't allowing MLP because it's not anime?

Let's see: MLP uses the "big eyes" convention, has definite anime influences, and is, well, animated. I can understand the fear that ACen could end up being taken over by bronies--and there are MLP cons now--but I think MLP is far more animesque than Homestuck, or one of a dozen more series allowed at ACen. Not to mention MLP could be a nice gateway for potential future anime fans.

I can see the reasoning, but I think ACen risks alienating a potential growth group. One of the reasons I was convinced to give MLP a try by fellow anime fans was its appeal to people like myself, that enjoy a good animated series whether it be American or Japanese.

MLP is a damn sight better than 75% of the anime I've seen lately...

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"At least Spike isn't collecting a harem"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#254 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'm fine with them not allowing it. No matter how inspired it is it's not anime. And as far as alienating a growth group, that's like saying the NFL risks alienating MLB fans by not playing baseball at the Superbowl. They are not trying to attract the baseball fan and ACen is not trying to attract the MLP crowd. If they show up great but we are not the target demographic.

And as I've touched on, if getting rid of MLP means we can get rid of Homestuck and Dr. Who then I am definitely in favor of it.
All systems... GO!

#255 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 09 April 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

I'm fine with them not allowing it. No matter how inspired it is it's not anime. And as far as alienating a growth group, that's like saying the NFL risks alienating MLB fans by not playing baseball at the Superbowl. They are not trying to attract the baseball fan and ACen is not trying to attract the MLP crowd. If they show up great but we are not the target demographic.

And as I've touched on, if getting rid of MLP means we can get rid of Homestuck and Dr. Who then I am definitely in favor of it.

Maybe. What I see is lost revenue and the opportunity to introduce people to anime. As it sits, this movement towards "purity" is going to end up with diminishing returns, smaller cons, and torqued off fans.

Some of this rhetoric sounds a lot like anime fans of my generation, who won't watch anything made after 1996 because it's no longer "pure anime" and would never watch a dub because it "detracts from the original Japanese." These people are usually referred to as dinosaurs.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"You may notice what happened to dinosaurs"

BEAR CAV!

#256 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I think we are way beyond our pure anime and manga show at point as the con seems willing to allow a little extra geekdom to sneak here and there. MLP is taking the reverse approach we see here in the US. A few show from Japan find there way to the US shores and managed to get on television. For once, the US is exporting a show in the opposite direction. I'm all for that.

#257 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I just want to know why Homestuck gets a panel and Dr. Who (or MLP:FiM) does not.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#258 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostPrayer Police, on 10 April 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

I just want to know why Homestuck gets a panel and Dr. Who (or MLP:FiM) does not.

In a different thread a staff member said it was because web comic artists are represented in the dealers room, thus a small number of web comic panels were accepted after all anime panels were approved.

This post has been edited by TheStrongJaeger: 10 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

All systems... GO!

#259 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postrondo, on 10 April 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

For once, the US is exporting a show in the opposite direction. I'm all for that.

You don't honestly think that this is the first time the US has exported one of their animated series to a foreign country? Because if this is your defense, why don't we allow Spongebob Squarepants or The Simpsons panels at ACen? I mean both of them are probably hits over in Japan as well.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#260 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 10 April 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

You don't honestly think that this is the first time the US has exported one of their animated series to a foreign country? Because if this is your defense, why don't we allow Spongebob Squarepants or The Simpsons panels at ACen? I mean both of them are probably hits over in Japan as well.

Oh I know it is not the only one, but those two titles that you point out are very mainstream and MLP doesn't come even remotely close to their overall cultural awareness. As the con welcomes a bit of geekiness amongst its production, evidenced by Doctor Who and Homestuck for instance, MLP also shares such a similar trait which Spongebob and the Simpsons do not.

The Legend of Korra has a panel...TF2 has a panel...LoL has a panel...so yeah, if someone wanted to do a pony panel and there are none approved, I can see and understand a certain degree of irritation for that individual or group. I mean, they even have Kikuko Inoue voicing Celestia..so, at least in my eyes, I can see where MLP should have a leg up, at least now, in being able to at least have one panel.

This post has been edited by rondo: 10 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

#261 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

ANYWAY I think we've gone off topic enough on panels.

Sort of on that topic has anyone been watching the Japanese episodes? Overall I like the voice cast with the exception of Rainbow Dash, she barely sounds like a girl at all and just kind of annoys me. Pinkie Pie needs more energy as well but is overall pretty decent.
All systems... GO!

#262 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 11 April 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

ANYWAY I think we've gone off topic enough on panels.

Sort of on that topic has anyone been watching the Japanese episodes? Overall I like the voice cast with the exception of Rainbow Dash, she barely sounds like a girl at all and just kind of annoys me. Pinkie Pie needs more energy as well but is overall pretty decent.

I like the opening.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#263 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 15 April 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

I like the opening.

It was pretty catchy, ending is not as good but not bad either.

This post has been edited by TheStrongJaeger: 15 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

All systems... GO!

#264 User is offline   CharlotteStar 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 15 April 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

It was pretty catchy, ending is not as good but not bad either.

'Hi Hi Hi!' ;)

The song is cute but it seems kinda long for an intro.

ACen 14 Cosplay

Saturday.Sunday

#265 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostCharlotteStar, on 18 April 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

'Hi Hi Hi!' Posted Image

The song is cute but it seems kinda long for an intro.

Speaking of songs I need to catch the other episodes. Curious to hear how Pinkie Pie's Giggle at the Ghosties sounds.
All systems... GO!

#266 User is offline   CharlotteStar 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 18 April 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Speaking of songs I need to catch the other episodes. Curious to hear how Pinkie Pie's Giggle at the Ghosties sounds.

Normally, I love Pinkie Pie. She is one of my favorite ponies (I was even planning on cosplaying her this year). But in Japanese, I find her kind of annoying. The language is already rather quick and somewhat harsh sounding as it is (to me at least; that's not to say I don't like it though); add a personality like Pinkie to it, who's bouncy energy often finds its way to her voice, and it all just becomes too much :\.
ACen 14 Cosplay

Saturday.Sunday

#267 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I was actually thinking(at least from the first episode) that she wasn't quite energetic enough. But yeah her fast talking parts, as non-native Japanese speaker, sounded a bit mushed and not as entertaining.
All systems... GO!

#268 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostCharlotteStar, on 18 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Normally, I love Pinkie Pie. She is one of my favorite ponies (I was even planning on cosplaying her this year). But in Japanese, I find her kind of annoying. The language is already rather quick and somewhat harsh sounding as it is (to me at least; that's not to say I don't like it though); add a personality like Pinkie to it, who's bouncy energy often finds its way to her voice, and it all just becomes too much :\.

I might watch it just to see how the Japanese version handles "KUMQUAT KUMQUAT PICKLE BARREL!"

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"SHIITAKE SHIITAKE SAKE!"

BEAR CAV!

#269 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 18 April 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

I might watch it just to see how the Japanese version handles "KUMQUAT KUMQUAT PICKLE BARREL!"

Ben Da Mad Irishman

You watch mlp? :blink:/>
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#270 User is offline   CharlotteStar 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 18 April 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Ben Da Mad Irishman

Or even "Chimicherry, chimichonga! Chimicherry, chimichonga!" :lol:
ACen 14 Cosplay

Saturday.Sunday

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users