Dealing with going alone.... When you're too shy

#31 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 04 April 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

Party? What kinda of party? When where...I've been looking for an at-con party where it's not uber crazy like the raves

Theres a thread in this forum. Should still be on page 1.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#32 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

Last year, my best friend could not go & my other friends left me for another friend's room. I did feel like a Princess having a room to my self, but it was very lonely. Plus I was by myself during a scary moment with drunks on the elevator. All in all, it wasn't much fun.I could forget about being lonely when in the dealers room or watching some program. I also didn't get as many photos as I wanted because I am too shy to ask. I usually have one good friend in particular who can either get that pic for me knowing how shy I am or he gets me brave enough to finally ask. How ever, he spent more time with his other friends. Not his fault, but I understand. I believe he was a little upset about it too, but he's a good friend, so he spent time with all of us. The only time I wasn't lonely besides all this, was when standing in line & having people ask me about my shirt, a purchase, my costume or so on & then we would start talking about similar interest. remember, I am too shy to start a conversation my self. So I understand how you feel, just know your not the only one by your self. I also want to thank those people who did start conversations with the lone girl in line. Honestly, it kept me from crying in my room several times.
Currently writing a book.

#33 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

View PostGoodEnoughForMe, on 04 April 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

Only half joking. I honestly can't name someone I've ever met at a con. I just go to people watch and attend some panels and screenings. And get my butt kicked in video games. lol.

You play Yu-gi-oh or fighting games? I went to the dungeon..I mean game room once last year and got bored. I used to be there for hours but my favorite games got overshadowed so doing it again this year. Me and the ex would play guilty gear or random other games like beat up people in SSBM. Too much TVC last year. Hoping to try MVC3 this year.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#34 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 05 April 2011 - 09:47 AM, said:

Theres a thread in this forum. Should still be on page 1.

Found it! Gonna go read it asap!
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#35 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59638

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 04 April 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

I don't agree 100% with elf or mr. Nash but you can't be like me ne? Not all shy people are alike.

I'm shy to the point that I am totally anti-social, I rather be alone with computers and manga than my family kinda way. I am getting nervous on meeting people at Acen and it's only April. Like omg breathing hard hyperventilating nervous. When I first met my now ex bf I didn't talk to him for the whole day, period (long story on how I talked.) and my son's dad I never spoke more than two words for about four years. Yeah four years. I was in college when we really talked.

Coming from a shy person all I can say is attempt to be extroverted. People are going to push you about this in the future so it's good to set your mind on the plunge. When I mean push is that you might have to work with other people in your career as well as hang around other people in settings you don't like and you have to strike conversations with them or mingle, even if you don't want to and can't use being shy or introverted because extroverted people and a lot of people in general don't consider that an excuse or a reason at all. Even though they might have their own reasons to be how they are.

So my best advice is to start slow. Since your boyfriend is with you that's a start. Go with someone you are comfortable in your personal bubble. Then if you see someone interested in you or something that you are interested in talk to them slowly. Say hi and be friendly. Don't talk a lot if it feels uncomfortable to you. If they are doing the talking listen to them and show that you are interested; respond every once in a while with your opinion. If you act like you are tuning them out or ignoring them they will get offended. Tell them that you don't talk much and they should understand if you are making at least this effort.

Then by the time the other convention comes around you should be set in your mind to do this again. Actually if you are lucky you could have a friend with your boyfriend or the first attempt alone.

Just try your best and don't rush on it and work hard ^_^

Well said. :) Ima make you tres social though Al. I'll do it if it keels me. >:D

@CrimsonAnime

I understand completely! Really all I can say is that don't let the world intimidate you. Who cares what they think? I go by, "I don't care what others think of me besides my family and friends because they matter to me more than starngers." Dont get me wrong though. I care for ALL people of the world, but since I dont know them then why should I care what they think of me? Just have fun. Enjoy! Embrace life! And again, I'll be around if you need someone to chill with :D

This post has been edited by SirArthurKirkland: 05 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

**The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them**ACen 2013 (Hopefully...Graduation is in the way..) England: %100 completed, Halloween2010!England %0, 2P!England %1, Chibirisu %0, Jeanne de Arc %0, Yukio %0, Ciel Phantomhive %0
Main dA boi, dA Advice Account, Youchube Account
Babe, you mean more to me than you can ever know.

#36 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Conversation starter:

"How much does a polar bear weight?
[they probably won't know the answer]
Enough to break the ice!"
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#37 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostPrayer Police, on 05 April 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

Conversation starter:

"How much does a polar bear weight?
[they probably won't know the answer]
Enough to break the ice!"

Haha!!!Omigosh!!! I asked thesame question in one of the threads in the insanity section here xDDD
**The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them**ACen 2013 (Hopefully...Graduation is in the way..) England: %100 completed, Halloween2010!England %0, 2P!England %1, Chibirisu %0, Jeanne de Arc %0, Yukio %0, Ciel Phantomhive %0

#38 User is offline   GoodEnoughForMe 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59311

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 05 April 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

You play Yu-gi-oh or fighting games? I went to the dungeon..I mean game room once last year and got bored. I used to be there for hours but my favorite games got overshadowed so doing it again this year. Me and the ex would play guilty gear or random other games like beat up people in SSBM. Too much TVC last year. Hoping to try MVC3 this year.

I dunno, I suck too much at them anyways, lol. I play some Tekken and Smash Bros.
"When reality overcomes the dream, all sanity is lost in it's depth." -- Anonymous

#39 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

View PostGoodEnoughForMe, on 05 April 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

I dunno, I suck too much at them anyways, lol. I play some Tekken and Smash Bros.

I got tekken 6 but only my kid played it :lol: and that was back in 2010 when it first came out so we can suck together on that game if you want to play it with me.

I'm bad compared to the two people I know on Smash. I used to main Marth.

*pouts and frowns at Iggy* mumble mumble I don't wanna. ima probably do it anyway.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 05 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#40 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:36 AM

Well you dont really have a choice now do you Al? :P

#41 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

View PostSirArthurKirkland, on 06 April 2011 - 06:36 AM, said:

Well you dont really have a choice now do you Al? :P

Not really *frowns*

I remember I was dubbed the coolest Al with my suggestions at the shoots and the most in character. but I couldn't talk to this England cosplayer without dieing or stuttering. I also felt like I would pass out at the panel.

Apparently my introvert shyness seeped through.

That and I wanted to take off my jacket because it was too hot.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#42 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 06 April 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

Not really *frowns*

I remember I was dubbed the coolest Al with my suggestions at the shoots and the most in character. but I couldn't talk to this England cosplayer without dieing or stuttering. I also felt like I would pass out at the panel.

Apparently my introvert shyness seeped through.

That and I wanted to take off my jacket because it was too hot.

Was there something intimidating or unusual about that certain England cospplayer? Or all England cosplayers?

#43 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

View PostSirArthurKirkland, on 07 April 2011 - 07:07 AM, said:

Was there something intimidating or unusual about that certain England cospplayer? Or all England cosplayers?

That England cosplayer wasn't really responding like before. Like she was put off by my presence in general. I had to really bug to get her Livejournal username. Funny thing is in the panel she said just ask her about her username if you was interested in buying some of her hand made APH flag bags and she was really in character. It's like personality change o_o

I tried to be all America and Awesome like and she barely said a few words to me. She kept looking around all nervous like and mumbling, not meeting eye contact. I wasn't helping either. She was around friends I guess(?) I dunno. The most props I had from the two days of cosplaying as Al was from Franny (AWESOME,) and Sealand (DOUBLE AWESOME,) and this drunk England pirate cosplayer :D Said I was an awesome America. That helped my self esteem a lot more than I thought. But besides that I didn't get anyone who was really into Hetalia as a contact beside you and a few others recently.

From that day on I thought that most cosplayers except on this forum mostly hang out and socialize with friends unless they were extroverted. (Even on this forum some hang around people and talk to people that they are posh with.) I have no idea how my ex bf does it. He only hangs around people he just meets. Never anyone he knows except for like one-two guys and that's for Yugioh or video games or to mooch.

Previous years supported this. Nobody knew who I was until the past two years (not counting 2009 which I missed,) and mostly talked to me around my extroverted bf at the time, the times that I did hang out with him. I cosplayed low key except for America and Maito Gai ^^;
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#44 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Woa thats what happened? Personality changes are freaky and intimidating xD

Dont not fret Al! I shall give you all the words you need to boost that overly enthusiastic self esteem of yours!

I totally get into character so hoepfully youll have fun and feel comfortable around me! :D When I was sebby for halloween, I gave out the candy (after I went trick or treating of course) and put up the butler act for the kiddies and teens xDD
Buut yea Ill be in character the best way I can despite the HUUUGE gap in ethnics not to mention location distance wise xDD so no low key for me! :D *trembles*

#45 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Well I'm not bad; I have the habit of talking about pervy stuff randomly and getting into fangirl modes. And I stutter and mess up words in a moe way. Geez that's blah. *facepalm* Going to attempt to stay in character as possible. I will try my best to branch out; going to be at Meet and greet. That's a bombshell for me. I can talk about anything as you see.

I should cosplay Matthew; wonder twin power. =_=

For OP you can go to Meet and greet or any gathering on Thursday if you want to step outside the box.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#46 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

Yus! MEET AND GREET AND MAKE FRIENDS! :DD

People say I talk too much and should learn how to shut my mouth once in a while<----apparently my flaw sayws some people....Hope youre okay with that xD

Well it depends. Do you want to be mattie? :3

oooohs... i wanna meet ppl :o

This post has been edited by SirArthurKirkland: 08 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

#47 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostSirArthurKirkland, on 08 April 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

Yus! MEET AND GREET AND MAKE FRIENDS! :DD

People say I talk too much and should learn how to shut my mouth once in a while<----apparently my flaw sayws some people....Hope youre okay with that xD

Well it depends. Do you want to be mattie? :3

oooohs... i wanna meet ppl :o

I act like both twins personality wise but I don't have any more money or time management to do another cosplay. Already doing four DX

Actually I do this when I get comfortable so it shouldn't be so bad >_>; *bows* So I would be pleased to meet you at the hetalia photoshoot or whatever you may go. The tub party or the meet and greet.

I can help op if they still want it or...attempt to steer them away from op and she gets more comfortable.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#48 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 08 April 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

I act like both twins personality wise but I don't have any more money or time management to do another cosplay. Already doing four DX

Actually I do this when I get comfortable so it shouldn't be so bad >_>; *bows* So I would be pleased to meet you at the hetalia photoshoot or whatever you may go. The tub party or the meet and greet.

I can help op if they still want it or...attempt to steer them away from op and she gets more comfortable.

Woah dang..! Four..? (isnt the con like...three days xDD) thought matthew wouldnt be that hard, unless you wanted his uniform (I say mess with america wig, put on jeans and a red hoodie and youre set xD)

Likewise! :D i have made it my duty to hunt you down if no one else! Id look for you anyway xDD but i may end up getting lost in the shuffle of things because im so short... ;_;
Either way ima find yoos! And anyone else who wants to commute with meh...pwease..?

#49 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

Commute as in travel to the con or for meet or greet? I might met some of my roommates. I haven't decided yet.

I was going as Matryoshka Miku on meet and greet and Lat Miku on friday, Swiss on late Friday, America all day Sat. I'm a perfectionist so I would need a slightly lighter wig since Mattie has slightly lighter blond hair. Barely. Also idk how to make it wavy. I coulda did him on met and greet but didn't think about it til now ._.;

WELL there is 2012.

Don't mean to take over op ._.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#50 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

Ah... not so sure actually (don’t know the where or whens of those things ;_;) I was going to totally wing it and figure things out when I get there like last time (people just told me where things were and dragged my poor rear end everywhere... ;_;)

Lol true true...but who would know? (besides you, me and everyone else who reads this xD)

Ah um...I dont think i will xD I wont x3

#51 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

meet and greet is 8pm and meeting at the hotel lobby of the Hyatt, hot tube is 7pm til whenever you get kicked out at Double tree.

Well if you see a black Miku that's me. I'm going to be random the day before friday X) If you need help actually getting to O'hare pm me about it. Or Mitsu. We'll crash into each other or plan something...eventually if you want. -3- I mostly just wake up early since my b-day is the day before. I might end up meeting my roommates at union station I have no idea since my ex bf is suppose to pick up people as well. I am also doing stuff at the last minute. I am barely done with my cosplay shopping...barely.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 08 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#52 User is offline   Steam_Loli216 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59481

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

I GIVE OUT FREE HUGS.
And I can get along with almost all personality types.
I'm offensive too, don't worry. We could make a great team!
User is stationed in Southern California

It's a girl! Skylar Marie, born February 8th, 2013 :) Proud mama and wife and sailor

~~Dream Cosplays: -- Fai D. Flourite (Tsubasa) -- Dr. Jezebel Disraeli (Godchild) -- Seth Nightroad and Lady Asran (Trinity Blood) -- Lettuce (Tokyo Mew Mew) -- Misha (Pita Ten) -- Starfire (Teen Titans)~~

#53 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 08 April 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

meet and greet is 8pm and meeting at the hotel lobby of the Hyatt, hot tube is 7pm til whenever you get kicked out at Double tree.

Well if you see a black Miku that's me. I'm going to be random the day before friday X) If you need help actually getting to O'hare pm me about it. Or Mitsu. We'll crash into each other or plan something...eventually if you want. -3- I mostly just wake up early since my b-day is the day before. I might end up meeting my roommates at union station I have no idea since my ex bf is suppose to pick up people as well. I am also doing stuff at the last minute. I am barely done with my cosplay shopping...barely.

*cries cause shes probably not going to stay that long*

Ah no need for assistance! Thank you though :D Ive passed the hotel several times (practically live at rosemont considering how many times im there to get to other places xD)

Ill find you. Trust me....Ima find you

#54 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

View PostSteam_Loli216, on 09 April 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

I GIVE OUT FREE HUGS.
And I can get along with almost all personality types.
I'm offensive too, don't worry. We could make a great team!

Yea! I love free hugs. :) :glomp:
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#55 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:02 PM

steam is hugging people wow.

*shakes head no* I'm...I'm good!

Well only going to the hotel around 1-2 not to Rosemount on my birthday lol. I just only booked four days not five like some peeps.

If op is still around hope some of the suggestions helped out.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#56 User is offline   LADY SAKURA 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18295

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

in the my first ACen 08 i was alone by default because 2 friends didnt pay ahead of time like i did and didn't want to wait in the UBER long line after an hour of waiting so i stayed without them and wandered around when i left i said i was going to make friends so that in 09 i wouldn't have to be alone i joined the forums in 08 now i still may wander around by myself if there is something i want to check out and ill chat up people at said something that i wanted to check out lol
The Forum Seductress ^_~To be a Tekosexual you must first become one with the tentacles

Facebook Me
Check Art My Dev art page
AIM ME: dsbabygyrl2021

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users