• This topic is locked

Acen Photographers Just a stupid idea >>

#1 User is offline   Jace 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 22277

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

Ok it's been a long day, so this 'suggestion' could be utterly stupid, but as I've nothing else to do atm, here goes.

I noticed the threads about people looking for their photos from past ACEN and such, and thought that maybe if there were people here that were for sure going to the con and would be taking a lot of pictures, chances are among us we would get a buttload of photos of a buttload of different people. So like, what if the ones here had some type of badges or something saying who they are, or a nickname, or even a color with 'Acen Photog' on it or some such thing. The theory behind it, is that if people are interested in getting their pictures later and can write down or remember who it was that took them, it would make the process a lot easier.

Basically here is how it works in my head:

Group of two chicks cosplaying as scantly-clad fairies get their photo taken by a lucky guy with an ACEN Photog tag/badge thing, they either write down his name if his name is on it, maybe if the identifying mark is the color red they remember the red guy took their pic, and come here looking for Mr. Red.

More or less.

Also, if you wanted a badge to feel important, you would have to pay for it yourself and you wouldn't be affiliated to the con itself so to speak, and wouldnt be on staff or anything... just have a badge and feel special!
X-Box Live: No H3r0

Facebook .|. MahSpace
Acen Cosplay: I will be acting like a photographer.
Gear I'm bringing: Sony a580/18-55mm 3.5 lens/ 70-300mm 4.5/ 50mm 1.7/ Flash/ Tripod/ Probably even some memory cards.

Want to set up a time to have your photos taken? Drop me a line, will be at con Sat-Sun.

#2 User is offline   Trucha-San 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59374

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

While I think is a good idea to have some sort of organized matter in which you can find someone's picture, I think getting a different color badge or some thing that would set you apart from others would be unnecessary. My proposal would be to simply remember the badge's name of the person who to your picture. Once the Con is over create a thread where all the people that want to share their pictures be listed with their badge name and a link to a website where one can view said pictures. This way all you would have to do is remember the person's badge name and come to said thread. An example would be:

Ichi-San www.Clickheretoseeyourspics.com
Ni-San www.Clickheretoseeyourspics.com
San-San www.Clickheretoseeyourspics.com

This way you wouldn't have to go through the trouble of arranging anything to set a side those that wish to just focus on taking pictures, but you can also let your average picture taker share his collection.

#3 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

This is the thing.. and I have mentioned this in an other thread....

about 85%+ photographers at acen are not interested in sharing images.. and if you think about it, a photographer technically wouldnt even need a badge in the first place...
A lot of photographers just want to take photos of "sexy" cosplay.. that can be done by hanging out in the lobby alone with out a badge...

As mentioned in other threads as well.. the best way to make sure you get your photos is to set something up with a photographer before hand

I will be there. I will be taking a ton of photos.. of coarse.. I am the official con photographer....
and as people who know me can vouch....
good luck trying to catch me though :P

#4 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

I think it's a pretty good idea. However there are a few issues I can see.

First, lets define what a photographer is.
- Someone who takes photos of their favorite cosplayers and friends?
- Someone who makes at least some money at taking photos?
- Someone who spends most of their time at the convention taking photos without making any money? They tend to have extreme setups because they are really into photography.

In the picture threads after the convention, most of the people who post images are from the snapshots group. They take photos of what they like and of their group. I think people with different goals are pretty rare (us...), more for the fact that there really are not that many people who do it.

Only a handful with DSLR and more extreme setups share as Seph was saying (I'll say 70% don't share, 15% have a fully monetary goal, and 15% offer their stuff for free/semi-free). Last year a guy with a high level setup asked me for a few photos (I was in Lupin cosplay while doing the usual photography stuff too), and upon asking I learned he wasn't on the forums and didn't have a website. So my guess is he looks through the photos and possibly shows his family and friends and that's it. As for me I want as many people to see my photos as possible... :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:

People on this message-board usually share their photos, so we don't really have any means of contacting ones that don't. Maybe if you want, make a website/facebook group and start handing out business cards to everyone at the convention who you feel is a photographer. On the card you can say something like "Please help our cause and link your photos here!" As I said in another thread, I have thought about making a website to do just that, but no progress yet. -_-

#5 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

It also doesn't hurt to ask for a business card or any kind of information to write down.

#6 User is offline   heekun 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59673

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Having business cards on hand is a good idea. Also displaying the business card like a badge, can convey to people that you are there to take photos and make the photos available. Although - I realize some conventions have a no-signage policy, so this might not be allowed.
www.gosenchi.com per second
--
Photography services available for these 2014 conventions - Anime Central, Anime North and Anime Expo.

#7 User is offline   Denka 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 49937

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

What about having a Flickr group for each year's photos?
This way a large group of people can share, and comment on, other people's photos.
It would also make it easier to organize by year. And if you like a certain photographer, you could look through their album to see more pictures.

Just a suggestion though...

#8 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29213

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostDenka, on 22 March 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

This way a large group of people can share, and comment on, other people's photos.
It would also make it easier to organize by year. And if you like a certain photographer, you could look through their album to see more pictures.

Just a suggestion though...

This idea is good. Especially now that programs like Lightroom make uploading to flickr very simple.

And what about a group on Deviantart as well?

#9 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

View PostDenka, on 22 March 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

View Postfotaku07, on 22 March 2011 - 01:36 PM, said:

This idea is good. Especially now that programs like Lightroom make uploading to flickr very simple.

There are already a few ACEN groups, mostly specific to each year.
http://www.flickr.co...q=anime+central

Here are two general ones:
http://www.flickr.co...s/animecentral/
http://www.flickr.co...ups/699674@N21/

#10 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

Cool, thanks for the info Scott. I'll have to check them out.

#11 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59727

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

Photo scavenging is just part of being at an anime con. I can't think of a world where finding your photo online is ever an easy task. But that's fun of going to a con. Getting your pictures taken and scrolling through pages and pages to find your picture. However, it's best to just get a name after the picture is taken so there's no hassle. That or get your friends quick snap shots of you so you can bother them later irl.

CosPhotogs with big equipment are more likely to have a website that they're more then happy to share their photos with you. Just ask!
Private Photo Shoots for 2011 ACen! CLICK HERE to sign up!

s t a l k m e
website / facebook / cosplay.com / deviantArt / twitter / youtube

#12 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

One thing I've noticed is that people who ask for my business card at conventions usually never email me asking for a picture. All my convention galleries are in flash on my site so I'd like to think they just lost my card rather than taking a screencap of their picture on my site.

Maybe this year I'll pass out buttons with my website and email on it.

#13 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

It's a big enough project to upload 100's of pictures to your own site. To have to upload them to 2 or 3 others is asking a bit too much. :zombie:
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#14 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

View Postfotaku07, on 24 March 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

One thing I've noticed is that people who ask for my business card at conventions usually never email me asking for a picture. All my convention galleries are in flash on my site so I'd like to think they just lost my card rather than taking a screencap of their picture on my site. Maybe this year I'll pass out buttons with my website and email on it.

It isn't quality, that's for sure. I just checked out your 2010 gallery, and I like your stuff a lot. You seem like a tactician at producing sharp well exposed and framed images. :thumbup:

Flash (sites) on the other hand... I dislike with a passion. :lol:

I'm guessing that contacting someone is overall too much effort for most people. Honestly, I can't recall many or rather any people every asking me for contact information. Every time I've offered a business card they happy accepted though, often with a comment that they really appreciated it.

Most of my contact have been from a few gallery site comments (fast and easy), or a rare email. In the last few conventions I've attended, I have seen a handful of my watermarked images around on social networking sites, but these people never contact me, friend me on Facebook or anything. :( I guess I need to be the one to act in making social connections.

#15 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

View Posttfcreate, on 24 March 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

It's a big enough project to upload 100's of pictures to your own site. To have to upload them to 2 or 3 others is asking a bit too much. :zombie:

See I'm okay uploading over 1000 images. I do it all the time and my poor computer suffers from it, ahaha. Some photogs are chill with it some aren't. Photogs who have restrictions and limits to how many they can upload are quite bothersome.

View PostScott, on 24 March 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

It isn't quality, that's for sure. I just checked out your 2010 gallery, and I like your stuff a lot. You seem like a tactician at producing sharp well exposed and framed images. :thumbup:

I'm guessing that contacting someone is overall too much effort for most people. Honestly, I can't recall many or rather any people every asking me for contact information. Every time I've offered a business card they happy accepted though, often with a comment that they really appreciated it.

Most of my contact have been from a few gallery site comments (fast and easy), or a rare email. In the last few conventions I've attended, I have seen a handful of my watermarked images around on social networking sites, but these people never contact me, friend me on Facebook or anything. :( I guess I need to be the one to act in making social connections.

I like your stuff too fotaku07 :D yay photographers. it's fun to meet others.

but yeah about the business cards I think we've all been there. It's hard to make a solid connection with a cosplayer you just met for 60 seconds to take their picture and give your card. at least you have your photos water marked. that'll at least make people google your name and see your website. I should get into the habit of watermarking EVERYTHING! bad habit of mine. They look so good without a watermark.

s t a l k m e

#16 User is offline   keiichi969 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49954

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

. All my convention galleries are in flash on my site so I'd like to think they just lost my card rather than taking a screencap of their picture on my site.

I'm constantly loosing peoples business cards.

One idea is ask the cosplayer if they have a camera. then ask them to photograph your business card, or carry blown up version with you (say photograph size, maybe in one of the plastic badge holders?) and have them shoot that.

then when they're going through their pictures, they'll come across your info!

#17 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

View Postlevelsixtyseven, on 25 March 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

at least you have your photos water marked. that'll at least make people google your name and see your website. I should get into the habit of watermarking EVERYTHING! bad habit of mine. They look so good without a watermark.

It's completely automatic on my website. Zenfolio allows me to turn the feature on/off on a whim and use any 24-bit PNG I want. :lol:

This post has been edited by Scott: 25 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

#18 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

I have a strange idea.....not sure how well things might work. A lot of people have smart phones.
http://www.barcodesi...m/generator/qr/

Make a card that smartphone users can scan your website. Or just your name and company name. Con goers can save it via SMS or email it to themself after they scan the code. No cards need to be handed out that you fear might be lost.

Again it's just an idea....not the best one in the world. >_<

This post has been edited by SongstressLenne: 25 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

#19 User is offline   heekun 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59673

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

View PostSongstressLenne, on 25 March 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

I have a strange idea.....not sure how well things might work. A lot of people have smart phones.
http://www.barcodesi...m/generator/qr/

Make a card that smartphone users can scan your website. Or just your name and company name. Con goers can save it via SMS or email it to themself after they scan the code. No cards need to be handed out that you fear might be lost.

Again it's just an idea....not the best one in the world. >_<

QR codes can be very useful. My business cards have a QR code, but at the moment the code only points to a blank web page on my site. I'm planning on making this a secondary site optimized for mobile devices.

Regarding pooling photos online, Flickr's grouping functionality I think is pretty good - it allows people to manage their own photos and its less work for the group admin.
www.gosenchi.com per second
--
Photography services available for these 2014 conventions - Anime Central, Anime North and Anime Expo.

#20 User is offline   fotaku07 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

View PostScott, on 24 March 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

Thank you! I'm glad you like my photos. Hopefully I'll do even better this year. I'm with you about disliking flash sites. However, I've been kinda on the fence about trying to keep people from using my images without permission. I dislike huge watermarks... but I also dislike people reposting my photos without mentioning who took it. Maybe I'll try html galleries with slightly more imposing watermarks?

I like your stuff too fotaku07 :D yay photographers. it's fun to meet others.

...I should get into the habit of watermarking EVERYTHING! bad habit of mine. They look so good without a watermark.

Thanks :) After this post I'm going to go check out your work. It is cool meeting others... I hope there can be a photographer meetup at Acen this year. I do agree that images look better without watermarks... I just wish viewers could respect the photographer and ask permission before posting them elsewhere or worse yet posting it elsewhere and taking credit for it.

View Postkeiichi969, on 25 March 2011 - 08:17 AM, said:

One idea is ask the cosplayer if they have a camera. then ask them to photograph your business card, or carry blown up version with you (say photograph size, maybe in one of the plastic badge holders?) and have them shoot that.

then when they're going through their pictures, they'll come across your info!

Nice idea! Maybe I'll suggest this at Acen. And if a cosplayer doesn't have a camera most have cellphones with cameras now.

View PostSongstressLenne, on 25 March 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

Hmmm... I've never thought about this before. Maybe I'll put the QR code on the back of the business cards I bring along. That is a pretty nifty idea. Thanks!

#21 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

See I'm okay uploading over 1000 images. I do it all the time and my poor computer suffers from it, ahaha. Some photogs are chill with it some aren't. Photogs who have restrictions and limits to how many they can upload are quite bothersome.

Quite the opposite.
I have the ultimate lack of restrictions: I don't charge for photos, no matter how elaborate. I'd rather the cosplayers spend their money on cons and cosplay, not on me. I'm not out to make a name or a reputation so "getting my name out there" isn't even on the radar.

Yet, try to make it very easy for the cosplayers to find their photos.
I have a site that I pay for, The photos are categorized by the con. If it's a private shoot and if the cosplayer(s) elect it be so, I post their photos separately on that site and accessible only to them. So, ease of access is not a problem.
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
(2012)

#22 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

View Posttfcreate, on 28 March 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

Quite the opposite.
I have the ultimate lack of restrictions: I don't charge for photos, no matter how elaborate. I'd rather the cosplayers spend their money on cons and cosplay, not on me. I'm not out to make a name or a reputation so "getting my name out there" isn't even on the radar.

My question to you is why do you do this stuff then?

I want to call you out on this, but trying to hold off on being negative. ;)

#23 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:31 AM

View PostScott, on 28 March 2011 - 10:47 PM, said:

My question to you is why do you do this stuff then?

I want to call you out on this, but trying to hold off on being negative. ;)

Because I enjoy photography. I like it even more when there is no pressure, no deadlines, no clients or agencies breathing down my neck. Photography for photography's sake.

I also happen to like anime. Everything seems to have jelled nicely.

This post has been edited by tfcreate: 29 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

ACen and cosplay photos
(2012)

#24 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

View Posttfcreate, on 29 March 2011 - 02:31 AM, said:

Because I enjoy photography. I like it even more when there is no pressure, no deadlines, no clients or agencies breathing down my neck. Photography for photography's sake.

I also happen to like anime. Everything seems to have jelled nicely.

That makes sense. :thumbup:

#25 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

@tfcreate: well then go you. what ever floats your boat. some people like to do it that way. Me on the other hand I work better with deadlines and pressure. that's just the way I roll..

@Scott: Lols, I have automatic watermarking too. I.. just.. forget to check the little box XD

s t a l k m e

#26 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

View PostScott, on 29 March 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

That makes sense. :thumbup:

Not everyone Is a capitalist.. As you know I donate my time to acen for the "cause"
photoshoots on the other hand... well... thats an entirely different story ;)

#27 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

View PostSeph, on 29 March 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

Not everyone Is a capitalist.. As you know I donate my time to acen for the "cause"
photoshoots on the other hand... well... thats an entirely different story ;)

Opps didn't see this response. -_- Wanting people to know of and enjoy your photography isn't being capitalist.

Also, putting time and care into images is one thing I feel needs to always be done. I would never put an un-rotated un-color corrected image online with my name stamped on it. My time should be worth something, so I see nothing wrong with asking for compensation when talking high-resolution images or prints.

This post has been edited by Scott: 08 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

#28 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

I've made plenty at photography. It's time to give a little back.
And if the cosplayer wants a finished photo, they select it and tell me and I do it if they wish. Much more efficient that way.
The ones that they select are removed from my board, so they can post it to theirs.
ACen and cosplay photos
(2012)

#29 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

View PostScott, on 08 April 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

Also, putting time and care into images is one thing I feel needs to always be done. I would never put an un-rotated un-color corrected image online with my name stamped on it. My time should be worth something, so I see nothing wrong with asking for compensation when talking high-resolution images or prints.

I totally agree! I get completely irked if I release a photo that I don't put time and effort in. I love pouring in 150% of my heart to each photo. Making each photo unique is very fun.

s t a l k m e

#30 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

View Posttfcreate, on 09 April 2011 - 06:27 PM, said:

And if the cosplayer wants a finished photo, they select it and tell me and I do it if they wish. Much more efficient that way.

I agree with you there. It would be more efficient. :thumbup:

View Postlevelsixtyseven, on 09 April 2011 - 07:06 PM, said:

I totally agree! I get completely irked if I release a photo that I don't put time and effort in. I love pouring in 150% of my heart to each photo. Making each photo unique is very fun.

Thanks. What I do lately is run a batch process on the images I deem worthy for public visibility (pretty much anything that isn't blurry, has someone blinking, or got "photo bombed"). Then I go back a second time and select one or two shots per cosplayer to hand-process. It usually takes a day or two for each day of the convention. So I guess I'm in-between the two.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users