Anime Central Forums: Anime Figures - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime Figures Why are they so EXPENSIVE!

#1 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

So I was looking around for anime figures just for fun--maybe hoping to buy one perhaps. and I was looking at Ghost in the Shell figures, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and I noticed they all had one thing in common--they were so EXPENSIVE! And I have no idea why! Then I thought "oh, it must be cause they are not mainstream" then I look for Naruto and Death Note ones and they're still really high. Does anyone know why? I was just curious and thought I'd ask. Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I just really want to know why a 20cm Motoko Kusanagi figure is $180.00. I mean it's cool but to me it's not worth paying over 100 dollars--close to 200 for.

Any thoughts? ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#2 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

The material they're made of.
If its Resin its going to be expensive.
ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#3 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

It depends on three or four factors:

How it was made, what it was made out of, pre painted or not pre painted, and how popular it is.

Stuff like Lucky star is expensive: 60-100 dollars for one figure not counting the statues or PVC figures, which can be anything from 100-200 (the Konata racecar version is rare so that's why it cost more.)

The cheapest I found a figure was 16 dollars on play asia for phantom and even then it was close to 30 with shipping. The cheapest ones you can find is in the 40-50 dollar range if you are lucky. It's hard because you can make bootleg versions of the figures/statues as well >.<

Like anything anime or Japanese related people just raise the prices double or triple of japanese prices. If the statue is 50 dollars in japan it's going to be 60-90 dollars in America and on ebay/auction sites. I wanted to get a 3rd birthday cd and it's 40 bucks in japan but 60-80 dollars everywhere else just for a music cd.

All I can say is keep looking around and cross search through sites like good smile or play asia for figures. The problem is play asia runs out of crap and never brings it back so you have to check that for pictures as well as ebay.

Best bootleg vs. real guide: http://leafdust.live...l?thread=153467
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#4 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 19 March 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

It depends on three or four factors:

How it was made, what it was made out of, pre painted or not pre painted, and how popular it is.

Stuff like Lucky star is expensive: 60-100 dollars for one figure not counting the statues or PVC figures, which can be anything from 100-200 (the Konata racecar version is rare so that's why it cost more.)

The cheapest I found a figure was 16 dollars on play asia for phantom and even then it was close to 30 with shipping. The cheapest ones you can find is in the 40-50 dollar range if you are lucky. It's hard because you can make bootleg versions of the figures/statues as well >.<

Like anything anime or Japanese related people just raise the prices double or triple of japanese prices. If the statue is 50 dollars in japan it's going to be 60-90 dollars in America and on ebay/auction sites. I wanted to get a 3rd birthday cd and it's 40 bucks in japan but 60-80 dollars everywhere else just for a music cd.

All I can say is keep looking around and cross search through sites like good smile or play asia for figures. The problem is play asia runs out of crap and never brings it back so you have to check that for pictures as well as ebay.

Best bootleg vs. real guide: http://leafdust.live...l?thread=153467

That's interesting that you say that. I'll check those sites out and thanks for the tutorial.
Yeah I was afraid to order any because I was afraid they'd be fakes or something. O///O
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#5 User is offline   Pikachii 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59683

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Another reason is supply and demand. Maybe they only have 5-10 of one figure and only 50-100 were made. The more rare something is, the more people want it, and the more money the seller can ask for.
The quality and detail of the figure contribute as well.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. If you want a quality figure that you are looking to keep in the box to boost it's resale value in the future (or to just keep it nice) then you are going to have to shell out a little more money up front. Quality items are an investment, they will stay looking brand new for a lot longer than a cheaper version, and I think you will be a lot more satisfied with your purchase.
^-^

#6 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

The get what you pay for isn't 100% correct in terms of video games or figures.

It really depends on the site among other issues, like inflation and greed. Like they have bootleg that is waaaaaaaaay outside the price on what it cost but it's bootleg XD I buy a lot of Japanese stuff and I go on japanese sites. What I seen was:

How popular the item is in Japan/America/otaku nations with HYPE + How many did they make + how much it cost for them to buy it + how much they want extra for it= how much it cost. Like the cheapest I found a lucky star figma was around 60-90 dollar mark and it was legit. Certain figmas I can find really easy and they only made like 50-100 of them and they are cheaper because it's not popular compared to BRS or Baka no test.

I seen people attempt to sell stuff for about a good 200% more than what it's worth due to the idea that anime fans will pay for anything if they want it badly.

Example is that I was looking for Professor Layton figures and one set was 60 dollars for all of them. Another one was 20 dollars which I knew was not legit but I did find some that were real for about 40 dollars. Now the only difference between the 40 dollar one and the 60 dollar one was nothing at all. It was just price.

Or another example is the Hetalia plushies. They remade them but you can still find them for about 60-70 dollars for the original first edition versions just because it's popular. Now there is nothing different from the first or second editions except that they made one after the other. Same material and same goods. The only reason why I am having issues buying one is because I want part of the Allies, which is impossible. Now if I was getting a minor character then no problem but since it's a major character and it's a popular anime/manga no gooood!

Also be careful on what you buy if you trying to resell it. Example is someone got a yugioh card that was worth 1000 dollars at the time. It's now worth nothing but 4 dollars at the most due to the fact that it was re released and mass produced.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#7 User is offline   levelsixtyseven 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59727

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

My boyfriend likes to collected figurines. Although he doesn't collect anime figurines. Dunny's and etc seem fairly cheap compared to Anime Figurines. I have no idea why! However Anime Figurines tend to be a smidg more high quality.
Private Photo Shoots for 2011 ACen! CLICK HERE to sign up!

s t a l k m e
website / facebook / cosplay.com / deviantArt / twitter / youtube

#8 User is offline   Sarah-Senpai 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 28570

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

It depends

A simple price figure (random boxs / other) can range anywhere from $8 to $20. They are often made for trading and the paint isn't that detailed compared to a PVC figure. They're great for starters and most series have a set of random box figures.

PVC and Resin figures are the big $50 to $200+ the detail on these are beautiful and well done. The paint jobs and plastic these are made out of cost a lot of money to do. If you're a really big fan of a character these are what you want to buy.

Figmas and poseable figures, range anywhere from $10 to $60 (depending) and are the best bang for your buck deals. The paint jobs on most figmas are equal to that of any decent priced PVC figure. The bases are well designed for posing and the figures them selves come with a lot of extra parts.

Figure collecting isn't a hobby for those wanting to be cheap...
Acen '12 cosplays

no idea yet, maybe Haruka from IM@S

#9 User is offline   PsychoNoble 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19345

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Well, I'm not really going to repeat what everyone else has said. But they're right! (Trust me, I could rant for hours! XD)
When it comes to PVC, and high quality plastics - expect to pay a lot of money. The larger the figure, the higher the price.
20cm (roughly 6 - 7 inches) is fairly small for a figure of that price!

You're better off getting the Medicom RAH Motoko Kusanagi figure, which ranges from $100 - $200. And you can get a great deal on eBay sometimes, from unknowing sellers.

Ediiiiit:
Also, were you talking about this COLD-CAST Motoko Kusanagi?
The details should be enough to explain why it's so expensive. Cold-cast statues are like, at the top of the quality chain.
" The chaos is over. But I'm sure you too can see the dark clouds on the horizon - Enjoy this brief respite. "

#10 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

The hetalia one coin figures range from 60-150 dollars depending on how many and or what character you get and that's just for one ._. I am not joking on this.

*Does not compute at all!*
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#11 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Oooh, let's not talk about how expensive figures are! :lol:

My desk is littered with them, I have an addiction, but if I can agree with one thing
that everyone has been saying - you get what you pay for. You can find sh*tty-quality
figures, usually very small, old, or mass-produced, for cheap. But when you're going
for the pretty, larger figures, you're gonna pay the big bucks. If you really want a
certain figure, and absolutely do not want to pay the full price for it, you can shamefully
browse eBay for the probably unlimited amounts of bootlegs from China for a heavily slashed
price. <-- This was basically a joke, because those figures are produced under poor
conditions, with poor standards, and if you're going to waste money, why not just pay
more for an authentic work of art?

But, yay, figures! I probably have over a hundred, and have spent thousands, but I
can't and don't want to stop! Mwuahahaha. X3

ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#12 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

I'm still looking for a Russia plush. It was re released twice and I still can't find it under 50-100 dollars. The only place that had it in stock is ebay sad enough. It's new in the box but I hate using ebay to buy plush stuff ._. The Chinese ones are really small without the box for ten dollars and I know the difference between them. *wishes they had Hetalia PVC figures especially of Ivan with his pipe that you can flex. Wants to do COLD WAR NOW*

Some people are just greedy and overcharge for japanese stuff because of popularity and it gets annoying. like I seen a Ikku figure that had in japanese 6800 yen in the description and someone was trying to sell it for 128 dollars without shipping. It wasn't a limited edition at all, it was basically some sexy figure >.< ON EBAY none of the less. Play asia sometimes do this but most of the time they are alright I guess. I just wish they didn't sell out of crap! It took me forever to find a Phantom figure that wasn't 60 dollars online. Yeah the legit ones are 60 dollars normally or 100 dollars online. I managed to get it from Play-asia for 30 bucks which is a bargain. It was basically ten dollars off the original price so even if I didn't get it cheap it woulda cost about 40 dollars with shipping.

I have this issue with NSCX selling re release games (you know those greatest hits that they have in usa? They do the same thing in Japan,) for the same price as the original copy of the game and it says on the box it's 30-40 dollars. -_-

From what I seen you have to just look on a lot of websites/ebay/amazon/etc. everything to find something at a decent price and not an overcharge price. Why? Because lets say you paid like 100-200 dollars for a figure and then your buddy found the same thing, legit, for 60 dollars because he did the research. RAGE moment right there. I actually seen guys at Acen this happened with. He got a legit Aegis figure cheaper than online/his buddy did :lol:
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#13 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 24 March 2011 - 04:25 PM, said:

I'm still looking for a Russia plush. It was re released twice and I still can't find it under 50-100 dollars. The only place that had it in stock is ebay sad enough.

Why not make one? Plushies aren't that difficult to make (even if you have never sewed anything in your life) and the material is very cheap too. I could send you links to a few tutorials if you are interested. =D

Most people already touched base on the reasons why they are so expensive. Look at nendoroids. I absolutely adore them. They are excellent quality but are so freakin expensive! In my opinion you shouldn't spend $50+ on something that is only 5-6" tall, but the price is that way(besides the quality) because people buy them for that price. They won't go down...EVER ;___;

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#14 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Schlafrig: Omg! I didn't consider that! I was going to make mochi since they don't sell a plush for that! Yes please send me the links or post them here! I was worried it would look SUPER CRAPPY AS HECK.

legit
bootleg

Who would pay 50-60 dollars for a mug?!

This looks legit and it's cheap but I can't telll

*SOB*

I agree because the noel nendoroid is from a pre order of BB and it's up to 100-200 dollars because it was just a pre order. I wanted the baka no test Hiddy one -_-;

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 24 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#15 User is offline   Sarah-Senpai 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

nendoroids aren't really worth it I think. For the same amount you're better off buying the normal sized Figma copy if they make it. I mean I think they're just to small and don't pose well enough for the money you are putting down.
Acen '12 cosplays

#16 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 24 March 2011 - 07:13 PM, said:

Schlafrig: Omg! I didn't consider that! I was going to make mochi since they don't sell a plush for that! Yes please send me the links or post them here! I was worried it would look SUPER CRAPPY AS HECK.

Here is a link to a Basic Tutorial. They also have links that also explain stitching and other helpful tips. :D So you don't have to spend much on it and it can be made with love (And you don't have to worry about it being a bootleg!)

View PostSarah-Senpai, on 24 March 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

nendoroids aren't really worth it I think. For the same amount you're better off buying the normal sized Figma copy if they make it. I mean I think they're just to small and don't pose well enough for the money you are putting down.

But they come with so many faces!!!! :P Also I think it is fun when you have more than one because you can fit other characters faces on other nendoroids...Yeah my friends and I have waaay too much fun with ours. I bought mine before they were crazy expensive so I don't think I'm going to be buying any in the near future :(
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#17 User is offline   Sarah-Senpai 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

View Postschläfrig Kätzchen, on 26 March 2011 - 12:09 AM, said:

But they come with so many faces!!!! :P Also I think it is fun when you have more than one because you can fit other characters faces on other nendoroids...Yeah my friends and I have waaay too much fun with ours. I bought mine before they were crazy expensive so I don't think I'm going to be buying any in the near future :(

You can do the same with Figmas. I've seen some pretty epic custom figmas using other parts from different ones.
Acen '12 cosplays

#18 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 20 March 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

How popular the item is in Japan/America/otaku nations with HYPE + How many did they make + how much it cost for them to buy it + how much they want extra for it= how much it cost. Like the cheapest I found a lucky star figma was around 60-90 dollar mark and it was legit. Certain figmas I can find really easy and they only made like 50-100 of them and they are cheaper because it's not popular compared to BRS or Baka no test.

The Lucky Star figmas I bought ranged from $20-25 and they are official ones with the company sticker on it. I've been getting into Black Rock Shooter recently. PVC figures aren't too expensive. Like the BRS PVC statue was 55 bucks, the shipping was not nice to me though, haha..
The figmas I buy averaged $28 or so, which is pretty worth it I think.

My figmas

This post has been edited by Animexcel: 26 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

ACen Mascot Artist

#19 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on 26 March 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

The Lucky Star figmas I bought ranged from $20-25 and they are official ones with the company sticker on it. I've been getting into Black Rock Shooter recently. PVC figures aren't too expensive. Like the BRS PVC statue was 55 bucks, the shipping was not nice to me though, haha..
The figmas I buy averaged $28 or so, which is pretty worth it I think.

My figmas

*sits down* teach me *is 100% serious*

I can't find Lucky star figmas for this price. I wanted the basic girls with the poses. Play asia doesn't sell them. Ebay is basically 40-60 dollars with shipping. I wanted this: lucky star Cannot find it cheap and legit idk why.

You just proved that you can get legit stuff cheap

the whole thread is over ._.; (or is it?)

Kätzchen-san arigato! *bows* I am going to use this for Vanya~

Not all nendoroids are the same as figmas. Depends on the series and which ones you want. The Tousen ones have more options than say lucky star or any other series and the BRS has a background for the girl nendoroids while her counterpart barely has any poses besides a basketball.

So it depends on your price range/moe factor/and what series you want?

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 27 March 2011 - 12:53 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#20 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

They were that price a year ago at otacute. But not sure if they still have them anymore. I got the summer versions for $20.90 each back then. I was iffy on getting them before, but when the price went down; I took the deal. They're becoming rare now. You have to look around more than just ebay and amazon. They double or triple for what it's really worth.
ACen Mascot Artist

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users