Here's how lines will work this year:
- Lines do not start lining up until half an hour before the event opens for seating. There will be a sign at the head of the line to this effect. We will also (hopefully) tweet it.
- The head of the line starts on the outside of the hotel, just outside the revolving doors, and the line extends off to the west (down the sidewalk away from the hotel). If you were in the line for the Soap Bubble last year, the line started in the same place.
- Starting a half an hour (or probably a little before) before the event opens, we're going to clear out the area in front of the doors to Main Programming and start blocking people from getting into that area, instead directing them outside for the line.
- Fifteen minutes before the event opens, persons with special needs (who should not be in the line) will be escorted into Main Programming. (If you have special needs, see our Special Needs department, located with the Customer Service desk right in the Grand Foyer, as indicated on the map in the program book.)
- Ten minutes before the event opens, we will start bringing people in from the line outside in small chunks of 10 or 20 into a stanchion maze in the area in front of Main Programming. As we let people in from the stanchion maze, we will bring people in small chunks in to replace them in the maze. Again, we did something similar for Soap Bubble last year.
- If there is a line forming, we will ask smokers that normally congregate outside the revolving door to move a little away toward the benches and ashtrays the hotel has provided along the sidewalk between the revolving door and main entrance so their smoke does not disturb anyone with asthma or a similar condition.
Does this make sense? Is it clear? Are there questions about how it's going to work or why we're doing things a certain way? (Note, by the way, that the actual way we're doing lines isn't up for question; just my explanation of it is. This is the way we're doing lines this year. But I am happy to explain why if you're curious about an aspect of it.) The version in the program book will likely have a map/diagram and if I can get one for the website writeup, I'll do that too.