• This topic is locked

If I ran ACEN

#91 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

^ Your honesty is both priceless and hilarious.

This post has been edited by YoungBirdcall: 01 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#92 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 01 June 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

^ Your honesty is both priceless and hilarious.

As long as someone got a laugh out of it then my job is done.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#93 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

If I ran ACEN, it would be at the McCormick Place downtown no matter what. Definitely where it should be. :)

I would also move the date to June 1st.

This post has been edited by ATICE: 01 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

#94 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostATICE, on 01 June 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

If I ran ACEN, it would be at the McCormick Place downtown no matter what. Definitely where it should be. :)

I would also move the date to June 1st.

Are you sure? That place is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. The Dealers Hall doesn't even take up that much room.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#95 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

I'm sure. We would have to get more dealers and artists there then. There would also be a big place to have guests and have the line set up too.

I absolutely loved it going in to c2e2 and think that that's where ACEN should be... even with this non-existent hotel thing... You've got hotels all around the place, they are just a few miles out... and with enough sitting areas in the place you don't exactly need the hotel right there, plus I would make sure there were at least 2-3 changing rooms.

#96 User is offline   JediNight 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 6971

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

View PostPashy-chan, on 09 March 2011 - 02:19 AM, said:

o-o;; I don't understand why everyone wants to cut out the dances..

The majority of the people I know who attend ACen only go for the dances, and what is wrong with that? Everyone has their own reason for attending a convention, whether it be for the crowd, the events, or simply the chance to meet an idol. When it comes to my friends, attending a rave is by far one of their favorite things to do, and with ACen holding one of the largest in the Chicagoland area, why not?
Not everyone who attends ACen is in it for the guests or the panels.

(Staff hat off)
Yes I'm "old" by anime fan standards (30), so take that as you will. Although I'm still cool with people geeking out and doing silly things at cons, because that's what we're here for. But I still feel that the above comment kinda represents what I think is wrong with the direction some anime cons are heading in recent years. Conventions were started and predicated on anime/manga and video gaming, so I see it as anathema that such a large chunk of attendees come solely for the dance which is only remotely related in that they try to get some Japanese DJs to come. It causes insanity and way too much crowding in the Hyatt at night, and IMHO throws off the mood of meeting people with like interests in series and other japanese culture interests and hanging out for awhile, etc. The atmosphere in the Hyatt now compared to say like 2003 is markedly different at night.

More importantly, it leaves me wondering how many people are we driving off that don't want to come and/or stick around at night due to all the craziness that ensues? With using the other hotels now, I think maybe it would be nice to designate one as kind of a communal chill out area at night for people that want to socialize, but not do it around a bunch of crazies flinging glowsticks around and shouting at you to give them high-fives and hugs as you are walking by.

#97 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

If I ran ACen, we'd have an Obon Festival.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#98 User is offline   Kokoro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19175

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

View PostJediNight, on 07 June 2011 - 10:28 PM, said:

(Staff hat off)
Yes I'm "old" by anime fan standards (30), so take that as you will. Although I'm still cool with people geeking out and doing silly things at cons, because that's what we're here for. But I still feel that the above comment kinda represents what I think is wrong with the direction some anime cons are heading in recent years. Conventions were started and predicated on anime/manga and video gaming, so I see it as anathema that such a large chunk of attendees come solely for the dance which is only remotely related in that they try to get some Japanese DJs to come. It causes insanity and way too much crowding in the Hyatt at night, and IMHO throws off the mood of meeting people with like interests in series and other japanese culture interests and hanging out for awhile, etc. The atmosphere in the Hyatt now compared to say like 2003 is markedly different at night.

More importantly, it leaves me wondering how many people are we driving off that don't want to come and/or stick around at night due to all the craziness that ensues? With using the other hotels now, I think maybe it would be nice to designate one as kind of a communal chill out area at night for people that want to socialize, but not do it around a bunch of crazies flinging glowsticks around and shouting at you to give them high-fives and hugs as you are walking by.

Ugh, God, STOP WITH THE FREE HUGS PEOPLE. This one guy followed me around with his arms open for like a good 2-3 minutes, and I kept shaking my head at him and saying "no thanks," but he just thought he was being sooo funny. I don't want to hug complete strangers. And I thought all the "free hug" signs weren't allowed?

Anyway, I agree with what you're saying about the dances, to be honest. I went to one "con dance," so to speak, at AMKE when it was still held at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I didn't dance - just sat and listened to the music, which was all Japanese (and occasionally Korean). They had the music videos playing on a screen too, which was nice. So I was rather disappointed/confused to learn that the Acen dances don't really play Japanese/anime music.
Rawr. ♥

#99 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

View PostATICE, on 02 June 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'm sure. We would have to get more dealers and artists there then. There would also be a big place to have guests and have the line set up too.

I absolutely loved it going in to c2e2 and think that that's where ACEN should be... even with this non-existent hotel thing... You've got hotels all around the place, they are just a few miles out... and with enough sitting areas in the place you don't exactly need the hotel right there, plus I would make sure there were at least 2-3 changing rooms.

Problem one: Cost of Rosemont over Cost of McCormick, Acen would have to get sponsers to pay.
Problem two: Hotel cost...and miles away, not everyone owns a car to get there.
Problem three: Most people are not going to want to change at a convention center
Problem four: It's McCormick you do realize the size of the place?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#100 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

If I ran ACen I'd do the following:

* Try to gain sponsorship from companies like Nintendo, G4TV, Square-Enix, Adult Swim, and a few other companies who aren't as involved. Square-Enix would definitely be very beneficial as people would really want to check out their panel.
* Try to get Funimation and other anime/manga producers hold press conferences at Anime Central to announce acquisitions, TV plans, etc.
* If budget permitted, find a way to get paid people to handle the registration process, this is my only real big complaint about ACen I have.
* Consider the McCormick Center for future ACens only because it might have more space. Personally, I'd rather it be "too big" than "too small."

How I'd do all of this, I don't know. :D
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#101 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostDarkBebi, on 02 March 2011 - 04:01 AM, said:

Do you know how fun that would be to beat the crap out of 20 akatsuki's?

Aww, somebody needs a hug :3

View PostIshoku Osero, on 02 March 2011 - 11:19 PM, said:

I'd like to add in that I'd have a karaoke room running all weekend long, 24 hours a day.

This.

View PostKaay-chan, on 03 March 2011 - 04:30 AM, said:

As for what I would change? I would consider moving the convention to, say, the beginning of June, so that it wouldn't land during prime prom/ exam season. Maybe even make it a four day con.

This

View Postsentinel28a, on 03 March 2011 - 04:37 AM, said:

I'm tired of 16-year old idiots, away from Mommy and Daddy for the first time, treating the Hyatt like it's their personal playground, and ruining the con for the rest of us.

Others have already responded similarly, but I agree that an age limit is unfair. There are those who act ridiculous and those who are respectful of others in all ages.

View PostKnitChick, on 06 March 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

Those hand sanitizers are popping up all over the place, at grocery stores, at McCormick, at my school, etc. I wonder why the Hyatt hasn't jumped on that bandwagon?

This.

View PostSmokey, on 08 June 2011 - 01:04 AM, said:

If I ran ACen, we'd have an Obon Festival.

I love this idea! I haven't been going to ACen very long (so I don't know if it's been done), but I think a summer festival of some kind would be fun! Cute decorations, booths with ethnic food, people in cosplay and/or in yukata, etc.

This post has been edited by tatterpillar: 23 June 2011 - 08:37 AM

#102 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

If I ran Acen:

• Pre-reg would send passes out through email.
  • The rave would be replaced with an actual concert, with various Japanese bands/musicians. I understand that a lot of people come specifically for the rave, but that's not what Acen is for. The alternative is having the music consist almost exclusively of anime themes.
  • There would be a designated, 24-hour 18+ area.
  • There would be more Japanese guests, including professional cosplayers, mangaka, Japanese voice actors, and filmmakers.
  • Japanese culture panels, which act like workshops, or demonstrations would have an area.
  • Major events would have a coat check.
  • The convention would be moved to June.
  • Directories would be set up throughout the con, displaying the day's events, times, and locations.
  • IRT would get fully-functional mech suits, including laser beams, and 2-minute transformation sequences.

"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#103 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60684

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

If I ran Acen I'd:
-Make sure the sidewalks at night were either well light or had a decent amount of IRT
-Make sure the convention guide book thingy had the panel schedule, a map, and the photoshoot schedules
-Have a iphone/smartphone app for announcements
-Have maps within the convention with a "you are now here" sticker
-Have staff trained specifically to know where panels or areas are within the convention, and have them wear a unique color or outfit to single them out
-Have a repair station for people who ripped their costumes and came unprepared, perhaps for a small charge
-I'd have multiple registration areas set up so registration goes faster
-I would have a station set up for military/government/etc discount so people who either bought their badge online can receive a small refund. Or have it so once someone with said discount registers once at the con, they would be in the system and wouldn't have to register at the con for the discount again.
-Have a beverage host club and maid cafe
-Have guests confirmed for several years and announced by a certain time each year
-Have a coat/bag check for main events
-Have a Japanese festival going on at one building
-I'd keep the rave, concerts and all the guests but would also try to get people who do abridged series
-Have people who know martial arts/etc do a demonstration

#104 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

View Postmindue, on 06 March 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

If I ran Acen I'd:
-Make sure the sidewalks at night were either well light or had a decent amount of IRT
-Make sure the convention guide book thingy had the panel schedule, a map, and the photoshoot schedules
-Have a iphone/smartphone app for announcements
-Have maps within the convention with a "you are now here" sticker
-Have staff trained specifically to know where panels or areas are within the convention, and have them wear a unique color or outfit to single them out
-Have a repair station for people who ripped their costumes and came unprepared, perhaps for a small charge
-I'd have multiple registration areas set up so registration goes faster
-I would have a station set up for military/government/etc discount so people who either bought their badge online can receive a small refund. Or have it so once someone with said discount registers once at the con, they would be in the system and wouldn't have to register at the con for the discount again.
-Have a beverage host club and maid cafe
-Have guests confirmed for several years and announced by a certain time each year
-Have a coat/bag check for main events
-Have a Japanese festival going on at one building
-I'd keep the rave, concerts and all the guests but would also try to get people who do abridged series
-Have people who know martial arts/etc do a demonstration

- possibly put a couple on River Road, walking in opposite directions from the Skybridge underpass to the Hyatt driveway (to cover all areas, broken into 2-3 sections, at once) -- the creepers really like it late at night, especially with the lack of light and crowds.
- not feasible due to contracts/union legalese preventing food stuffs from being acceptable in the hotel/con centers
- Samurai Dan seems to come most of the times & does demonstrations -- if we have him (or any not-the-band guest for that matter) check him out!
- has been stressed many times in many threads ACen doesn't want to get tangled in legal matters/liability issues with that, so unless the hotels themselves offer one, not gonna happen anytime soon.
- If the con's not willing to expend time, effort, and paper to do this, I AM. I'd be willing to go ask the hotels myself for permission too. We really do need this - staff/IRT can be /impossible/ to find in crowds to ask (esp. if a big main programming event is happening in a few hours)!

As for the sponsorship idea mentioned 4 posts up, I've been saying the same for years. :3 (Seriously, partnering/being sponsored by Dr Scholls -little booths to sell their feet gels and all- would be the greatest matchup since mac and cheese, PB & J, AND your feet would thank you for it!)
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#105 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 07 March 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

- possibly put a couple on River Road, walking in opposite directions from the Skybridge underpass to the Hyatt driveway (to cover all areas, broken into 2-3 sections, at once) -- the creepers really like it late at night, especially with the lack of light and crowds.
- not feasible due to contracts/union legalese preventing food stuffs from being acceptable in the hotel/con centers
- Samurai Dan seems to come most of the times & does demonstrations -- if we have him (or any not-the-band guest for that matter) check him out!
- has been stressed many times in many threads ACen doesn't want to get tangled in legal matters/liability issues with that, so unless the hotels themselves offer one, not gonna happen anytime soon.
- If the con's not willing to expend time, effort, and paper to do this, I AM. I'd be willing to go ask the hotels myself for permission too. We really do need this - staff/IRT can be /impossible/ to find in crowds to ask (esp. if a big main programming event is happening in a few hours)!

As for the sponsorship idea mentioned 4 posts up, I've been saying the same for years. :3 (Seriously, partnering/being sponsored by Dr Scholls -little booths to sell their feet gels and all- would be the greatest matchup since mac and cheese, PB & J, AND your feet would thank you for it!)

I don't think that having stuff like tea, water, and juice would be a huge problem. I think that they just have to buy it from the convention or something like that.

#106 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

View Postmindue, on 08 March 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

I don't think that having stuff like tea, water, and juice would be a huge problem. I think that they just have to buy it from the convention or something like that.

Meaning no offense, mindue, but if you yourself haven't dealt with the hotel, and issues of providing refreshments, and the hotel's policies in that regard, you perhaps shouldn't make claims about what's involved.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#107 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostUnka Josh, on 08 March 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Meaning no offense, mindue, but if you yourself haven't dealt with the hotel, and issues of providing refreshments, and the hotel's policies in that regard, you perhaps shouldn't make claims about what's involved.

I read somewhere in the maid cafe thread that the issue is the contract prevents outside food and beverage and etc. So I was just suggesting if that's the issue why don't we purchase the food/beverages directly from the convention, and if that's too pricey just buying tea bags from them and having water would be a nice alternative. Anyhow this is just a suggestion based on the scenario of what I would do if I was running Acen, and I was simply going off of what I heard about the contract.

#108 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

View Postmindue, on 08 March 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I read somewhere in the maid cafe thread that the issue is the contract prevents outside food and beverage and etc. So I was just suggesting if that's the issue why don't we purchase the food/beverages directly from the convention, and if that's too pricey just buying tea bags from them and having water would be a nice alternative. Anyhow this is just a suggestion based on the scenario of what I would do if I was running Acen, and I was simply going off of what I heard about the contract.

It's more of a distribution thing, and a (excuse me if I'm wrong here) union matter**. Doesn't matter where we get the eats and drinks in the hotels and con center-- only they/their staff can (I want to say obtain it), handle it, prepare it, run it, distribute it, sell it, [verb] it. If a union were to on-site make an exception to rule/terms, even just something simple as conceding tea bags, that could potentially compromise future bargaining amongst other concerns. Growing up in a union house teaches one to sorta just accept these things, though, so I'm not all that upset and bothered. Would be great to be able to do Japanese cooking lessons/demonstrations, or cafes, or crazy ideas, but I understand and can support the reasoning. If we can negotiate future contracts with the con center, hotels, and (probably necessarily) unions involved to consider allowing food panels in the future, great; if not, well, not the end of the universe. (Que sera, sera.)

(**in previous years I was told by staffers it's because of union deals, and my union dad backed that up. they could be wrong though, since only the con sees the terms of the contracts. any official clarification would be great though.)
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#109 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

If I ran ACen I'd make the panels easier to find.Also glomping and yaoi paddles would be outlawed.There'd be a a cap on how many faux tails can be sold in AA.
No more "Flavor of the Week" panels that have nothing to do with anime or manga. I'd get rid of the hentai rooms, because watching that in public with strangers is just...weird and tacky.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users