If I ran ACEN

#31 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

Just a reminder folks...

Threats of any kind are not permitted... even joking.

Please keep it civil.
~~

#32 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

I would have more Japanese mangaka as guests. It's awesome having all the J-pop musicians & voice actors, but as a artist I would love to meet more pros of my field. People like CLAMP, Shin Mashiba, Yun Kōga. After all we had Kenichi Sonoda at ACen (which as a Gunsmith Cats fan was epic).

This post has been edited by Kitsu-chan: 02 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#33 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 02 March 2011 - 05:27 PM, said:

Here's a challenge/hypothetical question for you all ;) (I ask this because, in all seriousness, this thread is catching eyes other than attendees'.)

Let's say that you wanted to get rid of the dances/musical events. What would you replace them with, keeping in mind that those tend to bring in quite a few attendees on their own? That's a lot of space/time to use, after all, and as mentioned before, there are people who come to ACen solely for those events. What would you provide that could draw in lots of interest?

Well I for one would not get rid of the musical guests. I've been introduced to some great acts because of it (Spoony Bards, Aural Vampire). But as to your point about point about people coming to acen just for the dances and what not. If that is some people's only reason then they are at the con for the wrong reasons. This is about a love of all things anime and Japan related. If you come for some dance, then go to a nightclub or something. As to what to replace them with, for me I would love for there to be something like a movie night. Yes I know that the video rooms could do that but there's nothing like sitting down with a bunch of your friends and watching an anime (or live action) classic. I'm sure people would hate it, just like I'm not fond of the dances. There will be no pleasing everyone. Once again this thread is about if you personally ran acen. That's what I would do

Also more tiger vs shark deathmatches
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#34 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

When you go to a night club, you're dancing with random people. When you go to an ACen dance, you're dancing with people who share the same interests as you, and not to mention you can see some people dancing in cosplay. You don't get that experience at night clubs.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#35 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

View PostSir Viver, on 02 March 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

This. Ah well. At least Youmacon provides the latter two.

<--- Remembers his time at Youmacon. Remembers the airsoft guns people had. Remembers ACen. Remembers there was none of that.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#36 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 8641

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

I'd like to add in that I'd have a karaoke room running all weekend long, 24 hours a day.

I agree with Magi on the dance thing. If I go to an anime convention, I'm not going to spend the night at a dance - I'm going to enjoy myself in an anime-filled environment, trying to soak up as much good stuff as I can.

Unfortunately though, most things at ACen are boring to me and/or pretty old to where I don't care to discuss it any longer. I end up rummaging the dealer's hall trying to find decently priced legit goods, and sitting in the hotel room ordering pizza and playing video games all day because things just don't interest me. It makes me wonder if I really want to keep coming back.

#37 User is offline   DarkBebi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 58893

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 02 March 2011 - 05:27 PM, said:

Here's a challenge/hypothetical question for you all ;) (I ask this because, in all seriousness, this thread is catching eyes other than attendees'.)

Let's say that you wanted to get rid of the dances/musical events. What would you replace them with, keeping in mind that those tend to bring in quite a few attendees on their own? That's a lot of space/time to use, after all, and as mentioned before, there are people who come to ACen solely for those events. What would you provide that could draw in lots of interest?

All seriousness right now, even though this is going to be my first time going to acen and I dont really know how big the dance room is or how many people are in there but do you know how cool it would be to play a tactical game of say laser tag or even like running around with foam swords and playing a game of war? Now I am not saying take out the dances completely, I am saying experiment... If people are complaining about the dances not being part of the anime experience, then make a massive event that is anime related.

I could go more in to detail if need be (anime vs anime if enough characters). If you think about it, it would be AWESOME!!!
Acen 2013 Cosplay

League of Legends

[*]Head Hunter Master Yi [0% Complete]
[*]Darkforge Jarvan IV [0% Complete]

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

#38 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

View PostSir Viver, on 02 March 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

This. Ah well. At least Youmacon provides the latter two.

youma is four days, now?
pfbt! step it up, acen!

also, i would allow signs again. one of the most fun and social acens
i went to was the one with the 'free hugs', 'looking for friends', etc. sign fad.
i couldn't believe the higher-ups FORBADE them from that point on..

#39 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:30 AM

View Postmagishine, on 02 March 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

As to what to replace them with, for me I would love for there to be something like a movie night. Yes I know that the video rooms could do that but there's nothing like sitting down with a bunch of your friends and watching an anime (or live action) classic. I'm sure people would hate it, just like I'm not fond of the dances. There will be no pleasing everyone. Once again this thread is about if you personally ran acen. That's what I would do

I'll admit I've never been to one of the viewing rooms before (usually have too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it) but how, exactly, is this different from what the viewing rooms are, or, at the very least, were initially intended to be.

@Keiichi- I think the whole sign thing is less of a con policy thing and more of a "it's against the law" thing. Signs that say "free hugs," are technically solicitation, and as I understand it, therefore technically illegal.

As for what I would change? I would consider moving the convention to, say, the beginning of June, so that it wouldn't land during prime prom/ exam season. Maybe even make it a four day con.

At the same time, a part of me likes that it's in May, because it's warmed up just enough that you don't have to wear layers under/ over your cosplay, but at the same time it's still cool enough that you don't end up sweating like a pig in it, either.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#40 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:37 AM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 02 March 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

<--- Remembers his time at Youmacon. Remembers the airsoft guns people had. Remembers ACen. Remembers there was none of that.

The Airsoft guns ended after a few people--including a good number of IRT people who should've known better--thought that a tacvest and an Airsoft M4 meant that they were Delta Force, and then began sticking guns in congoers' faces. Given that the situation could've deteriorated rapidly (one of my friends told the IRT guy to get the gun out of his face or the IRT guy would eat it), ACen just forbade them as part of a cosplay. Since that also prevents the wrong kind of interaction with Rosemont PD, I think it was a good idea.

That's something else I would change. If the Rosemont PD has to be called on congoers, those congoers would be banned from ACen. For life. And, as much as I hate to suggest it, I might put an age limit on the con. I'm tired of 16-year old idiots, away from Mommy and Daddy for the first time, treating the Hyatt like it's their personal playground, and ruining the con for the rest of us.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Weeaboo jerks"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#41 User is offline   DarkBebi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58893

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:39 AM

As for what I would change? I would consider moving the convention to, say, the beginning of June, so that it wouldn't land during prime prom/ exam season. Maybe even make it a four day con.

At the same time, a part of me likes that it's in May, because it's warmed up just enough that you don't have to wear layers under/ over your cosplay, but at the same time it's still cool enough that you don't end up sweating like a pig in it, either.

Not to be selfish or anything but that is around the time that all the army reserve soldiers have to go to their 2 weekends out of the year, so making it in may is yes difficult for schools but thats something they could make up or miss or work out a deal or something, I can't work out a deal, I absolutely must go or I get kicked out of the army :(. I know that is just a minor group of people compared to schoolers but still :(.
Acen 2013 Cosplay

League of Legends

[*]Head Hunter Master Yi [0% Complete]
[*]Darkforge Jarvan IV [0% Complete]

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

#42 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 03 March 2011 - 04:37 AM, said:

And, as much as I hate to suggest it, I might put an age limit on the con. I'm tired of 16-year old idiots, away from Mommy and Daddy for the first time, treating the Hyatt like it's their personal playground, and ruining the con for the rest of us.

I think that's a little unfair. Some of us have been perfectly well behaved since we attended our first convention at the tender age of 14 or 15. Not to mention the fact that not everyone who trashes the hotel (if that's what you mean by "Treating the Hyatt like it's their personal playground") is under the age of 16. I think a fair number of people who ruin the con for the rest of us probably are less than sober; if I were running the con, anyone found to be drunk would have their badge confiscated and be told to pick it up when they've sobered up. Maybe find some way of making sure that they knew where their badge was, in case they're so far gone that when they wake up the next morning, they don't remember a thing.
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

-Sidney Sheldon

#43 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:55 AM

View PostDarkBebi, on 03 March 2011 - 04:39 AM, said:

Not to be selfish or anything but that is around the time that all the army reserve soldiers have to go to their 2 weekends out of the year, so making it in may is yes difficult for schools but thats something they could make up or miss or work out a deal or something, I can't work out a deal, I absolutely must go or I get kicked out of the army :(. I know that is just a minor group of people compared to schoolers but still :(.

My real concern was less regular classes and more the fact that ACen lands dangerously close to exams. For me, this year, if ACen had been one week later, I absolutely could not have gone, because I would have had exams. You can't make up exams. If it's a paper, you can turn it in early, but if it's an actual exam that you have to show up to a class room for, that's slightly more difficult. As it is, I know many people who couldn't go because it was the weekend before exams and they were afraid that they would need to deal with final projects or whatever, or they're schedules were such that they were afraid that even missing one class might cause them major problems in terms of getting caught up. On top of that, when I was in high school, it almost always landed on the same weekend as prom, and I know that my school isn't the only one that has prom on that weekend. This didn't effect me because I had no interest in prom, but I had plenty of friends who couldn't go to ACen because they wanted / were being forced by their parents to go to prom.

This post has been edited by Kaay-chan: 03 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

-Sidney Sheldon

#44 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

The con would need more cowbell. And sharks with lazers! Lol I keed. I would keep things the way they are and move the con to the McCormick Place in downtown Chicago. Remember this is a "what if" thread. I know the McCormick place is uber expensive and the downtown Hyatt has rates that are insane (even at discount rates), but it would be nice to have a new home and expand. Youmacon is a great example. From Dearborn Michigan to Downtown Detroit's ren cen. MAN it was huge!
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#45 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

While I think it is a strange to go to the con simple for the dance, these people do bring money to the con.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#46 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Every time I come here I get a GOOD LAUGH. Zombie and Tigers and Weeaboos...

I remember when Acen was in April once. The staff is trying to make sure everyone with different backgrounds can go. Some people have work and some people are in the army and some people have school so there is never going to be 100% acceptance all around.

Also I was a teenager and I wasn't a complete insane person and I know people who are 27 and older that act like teenagers so it's not just the teens that randomly jump off the fountain or get the medics every year. It's just...dumb people all around that ruin it for everyone. Let it be a fangirl who though it was funny to hit a guy with her staff like in the anime or some guy getting funny with airsoft or water guns to screw it up. (There was some older guys who said it wasn't Acen without the police/fireman/etc. coming....older drunk guys.)

Ishoku Osero: You ever thought about playing video games in another room or with someone? Entering a Tourny? Or going to the dealer room and do a MST3000? One time I couldn't help but make fun of everything from the prices of import games to how this plush looks like it's from bootleg China. Or going outside your comfort zone? I used to be bored like you a few times and did exactly what you would do when I went to Acen but last year was AWESOME with the panel and just acting in character >w< Like yelling, excitement and how I glowed from the excitement of other people and me being glomp...by France and Snake =_= It sucked when I was broke though and couldn't buy my yaoi and Russiamerica.

Another note if I ran Acen: SUGGESTION BOX and MORE ARTWORK+SIGNS. I miss will hug for food.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#47 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

I would add lockers and/or a coat and bag check so people who don't have rooms at the Hyatt don't have to drag their stuff all over the con (or get stuck not being able to go to the concert or dances b/c of the 'no bags' rule like I was last year...)

#48 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

@Fujoshi - odds are, that plush that looked like it was from China probably was. A lot of things are bootlegged in the dealer's hall, every single year. I keep trying to get in touch with people to get things rectified, but it seems like they either don't actually care or they want to make things difficult when it seems like it should be pretty simple to go 'hey, everything here is bootlegged, you're no longer allowed'. I couldn't even find anyone to complain to last year at ACen when I saw bootlegged goods. No-one knew who to go to, or at least that's what they said. So people ended up buying the stuff anyways, and that makes me really sad. And the same dealers are coming back this year. :/

I don't do tournaments anymore, I have frustration issues. And honestly, I was in my room with friends all weekend. We hardly went out into the con besides my one friend that seemed like he'd go into the room, change, and then leave every hour or so. The rest of us were pretty meh and played Blazblue and other multi-player games almost the entire time.

Also, I find it kinda funny that this thread went from 'what if ... ' to general complaints and knowledge about ACen itself, LOL.

#49 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

What are the reasons with removing the dances? Do you think that they just don't belong, that they take up too many resources, or something else?
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#50 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

The reason why I started this thread because I think ACEN has lost it's focus. The main focus of the con has become the dances and the musical acts. I the con needs less voice actors and more Japenese artists and animators.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#51 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

I'd love to have mangaka and animators at ACen. *.* That'd be really sweet.

#52 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

We all have our wishlist for the con but the reality needs to be constructed:

If you remove something: How many people will that affect? What will you replace it with still receive the around the same interest or greater?

Are they feasible ideas that do the following:
  • Won't affect badge prices or give cause to move the location
  • Will still reach the same demographic
  • Be able to fulfill the required staff and function space
  • Can be achieved in given timeline

This reminds me of those Tycoon simulation games. The choices you make might bring up business or put you in the hole and cause it to crash and burn.

#53 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

i cannot believe the irt guys ruined things for the cosplayers, if that is really the case.
that's unbelievably lame and unfair. personally, i had/have an awesome and perfect airsoft prop gun, that i searched everywhere for, and i got to use it, like, ONE TIME!
and i never even fired it, outside of or during the convention!!

i remember people also complained because my group and i were pointing the guns to our heads, and people started bemoaning about how offensive and disrespectful and unfunny a 'joke' that way--but we were doing persona 3 characters, characters that DO A PSEUDO-SUICIDAL POSE to summon their demonic familiars!!
when we lined up to pose for pictures in the hall and did this pose, some people laughed and thought we were doing it as a joke, and lots of other people started booing and complaining and shouting..

jesus..anime fans. *eye roll* find out what's going on before you get in a huff and ruin things for everyone. i honestly wish the people screwing around would get punished for their screw-up, not those of us who were totally responsible.

#54 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

View PostIshoku Osero, on 03 March 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

@Fujoshi - odds are, that plush that looked like it was from China probably was. A lot of things are bootlegged in the dealer's hall, every single year. I keep trying to get in touch with people to get things rectified, but it seems like they either don't actually care or they want to make things difficult when it seems like it should be pretty simple to go 'hey, everything here is bootlegged, you're no longer allowed'. I couldn't even find anyone to complain to last year at ACen when I saw bootlegged goods. No-one knew who to go to, or at least that's what they said. So people ended up buying the stuff anyways, and that makes me really sad. And the same dealers are coming back this year. :/

I don't do tournaments anymore, I have frustration issues. And honestly, I was in my room with friends all weekend. We hardly went out into the con besides my one friend that seemed like he'd go into the room, change, and then leave every hour or so. The rest of us were pretty meh and played Blazblue and other multi-player games almost the entire time.

Also, I find it kinda funny that this thread went from 'what if ... ' to general complaints and knowledge about ACen itself, LOL.

Huh why not tournys? You a stop having fun person? :lol:

Like just curious on what you thought was boring? I mean I used to do the same thing seriously we have a lot in common ._. My ex bf used to like party and go to the Rave and Roy would get drunk and bug me in the room but I would stay on my laptop, play video games, watch tv and not say nothing after like 5 or 6 for the rest of the weekend for the last two years at Acen until 2010. That's the only time I was an extrovert. I was in the dealer room...getting yaoi...and looking at hentai. And making fun how BOF III is Pal but not America even though it's in English! I almost never buy plush at Cons.

You going to make me go into your room and play you in Mario party >_>; As AMERICA.

Calm down Keiichi calm down! *hugs* it's alright ._.; Not everyone knows Persona 3. I was a cartoon and anime fan before a manga fan....but I played Persona 1-4 personally myself >_<; Persona is one of those games that if you don't know it you would get offended. They were in the wrong for going out of pocket though I do agree.

Usually one person messing up=Too bad for everyone. Mistress explained it all. This is why we have a prop issue every year. I remember when an A.B.A cosplayer had to break down her key and even then....
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#55 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

View Postopimus.rm, on 03 March 2011 - 03:41 PM, said:

The reason why I started this thread because I think ACEN has lost it's focus. The main focus of the con has become the dances and the musical acts. I the con needs less voice actors and more Japenese artists and animators.

Okay, while I'm on board with getting more Japanese guests, dropping anime voice actors doesn't advance your goal of getting things back to the roots of being focused on anime since they are just as big a reason for the popularity of anime in America too.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#56 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

If ACen is getting stale for you, join staff.
It's a totally new side of things.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#57 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

this^. i'd honestly rather see MORE voice actors and fewer animators.

#58 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

(Speaking as a fellow attendee, not as staff.)

Here's the thing about some decisions that are made...airsofts included. Sometimes, those decisions aren't entirely the con's. For instance, the Hyatt and covention center may have restrictions on what spaces can be used, as well as what they can be used for. That's why we can't sell food, as a small example. Contracts are finicky in that regard.

On airsofts...I personally wish ACen could relax that rule, too. However, that's a rule that came up because Rosemont Public Safety stepped forward with concerns. Apparently, local gangs had been putting orange caps on real guns. Now, consider how realistic airsofts can get, with or without that little orange cap, and how realistic they can look from a distance. Now put yourself in RPD's shoes, being surrounded by all these guns, and having dealt with gang trickery. Yes, it's a royal pain to have to alter a cosplay because gangs ruined the fun. But that was a decision made with the local authorities, who work with the con day and night to ensure everyone's safety.

Speaking along the same lines as SongstressLenne, consider these factors: cons operate on numbers. Bigger numbers mean more money, more money means better budgets (hopefully), and better budgets mean better stuff. Does that always happen? Not always. But it is nice to dream, and work hard to make it reality. ;)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#59 User is offline   otakootie 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59306

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

If I ran Acen, it wouldn't be a convention. It would be a vacation spot, ran year round. Like Disney Land.

However, there would be, say, two weeks out of the year that were the most desireable, when the most was going on. Never again would there be an issue with not enough space or not being able to go due to inconvenient timing.
It would be a magical place with its own dance club, anime-only theater, street vendors selling sea salt ice cream, and happy people everwhere.

#60 User is offline   magicreaver 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 3343

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

If I ran ACen there are several points I'd adress.

@signs; I agree thats a ban that needs to be less generic. "Free Hugs" is not solicitation, and should be fine, however "Free Kiss for Pocky" and later the "Free Sex" is technically a form of prostitution and is ILLEGAL. the X for Y signs began to outnumber the more comical signs and that is why they were banned (or thats what we were told).

@Consuite; It was one of the best things about the con, I greatly miss it, but for a con this large, it just isn't really possible to bring it back the way it was. Perhaps a special repeat customer consuit or something, requires a badge from the previous year? but then again even that would probably be too many people. Of course, if I ran acen, you could go to the staffer suite and wouldn't need the consuite so I guess I'd just have to make all my friends staffers and use it instead :P

@Dances; I don't see any reason to remove them. They are probably the most popular event at acen. Perhaps figureing out some way to get an actual convention space for the 2 dances would be my goal, right now the biggest problem with them is the huge wait.

@Guests; Honestly, I think the guests are good. Every year there is at least one guest I am excited to see. Guest relations has always done a good job spreading out the guests, making them appeal to a larger group. Yes, there have been years when I am only interested in 1 guest and most are people i couldn't care less about, but its impossible to appeal to everyone (though I agree more Mangaka would be nice and it would be nice to actually know at least one guest before evey hotel in a 1 mile radius of the con is booked full).

@Age Limits; It would probably be good to put all the 18+ events in a certain area, allow one IRT to card for several events that way instead of needing one for each 18+ event, but honestly, I don't really see much need for such a thing unless ACen drastically increases its 18+ content (which i certainly would support).

@Spoony Bards; I'd bring back the good ol'days of Spoony Bards hallway performances. I miss having that spot I can go to to be entertained when there is that hour gap where you got nothing to do. First year we had the consuite after that I would follow the music to the bards and just listen till that next panel I wanted to see. Now its just, go back to the room.

@Zombies; A zombie appolcalypse would be fun, but I would certainly feel bad for all the poor Resident Evil cosplayers. So easily misunderstood.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users