• This topic is locked

FFXI Panel 2011 Still enough interest?

#1 User is offline   Catwho 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 5914

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

I ran FFXI panels from 2006-2009. Unfortunately I was unemployed in 2010 and could not afford the trek to Chicago, and no one was willing to take up my banner.

Well, I just got the green light from my husband for this year, and I'd be happy to run a gathering of FFXI players once more if there is sufficient interest. Also, if you are interested in being a panelist, shoot me a PM or an email, since I'm not sure all of my previous panelists even still play.

I'm especially looking for an FFXIV enthusiast who'd be willing to cover that game as part of the panel, so it could sort of be a multifunction Final Fantasy MMORPGish thing, too. I've only seen limited XIV play as my PC is not able to handle the game and my room mate only got it for Christmas.

This post has been edited by Catwho: 19 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

FFXI~Catwho of Bismarck :: A bunch of jobs at level 99 :: Gjallarhorn Bard For Life
FFXIV~ Catwho of Balmung :: Baby THM 35 and not much else
www.catwho.net
Find me on Fanfiction.net as well!

#2 User is offline   siddichan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17424

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

This is my first time in Chicago area and ACEN but I've had an FFXI account since 360 beta. It was on and off so I don't have any level 90 jobs to brag about. I just recently got back to the game after a two year hiatus too..

I also have an FFXIV account so this panel would be worth it for me. Is it definite?
FB: http://facebook.com/siddichan
FFXI: Grimora : Siren
FFXIV: Tanya Selene : Lindblum : Lodestone Blog
360: siddichan
ACEN2012: Maya Natsume ver 1, ver 2 / Tenjho Tenge
ACEN2011: As myself. D: Too sick to be bothered with a costume.

#3 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

I know my boyfriend would love this panel. He's been playing for 6 years by the time Acen rolls around. He's still a huge fan of the game, even though he wines all the time that Abyessa took all the fun out of leveling and getting that job capped out. Before Abyessa he only had drk capped. Now he has, blm, rdm, whm, and thf capped, in about two months, lol.

He keeps trying to get me to play, but I don't know, I haven't totally warmed up to it yet. :\ Maybe going to this panel will help? Who knows.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#4 User is offline   siddichan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:26 AM

FFXIV is more user friendly and prettier than FFXI for new-comers, provided you have a newer graphics card. However, the content range in the game is still in beta, even though the game itself has gone gold and there's no subscription. Just find someone who has a retail copy and borrow their trial buddy pass, that's all it takes. As for the game--its' really fun to see them progress through the game in terms of content. The developers run polls to determine the direction in which the game flows and it is really amazing to see that progress from the point of view we're never afforded in other games, not even during beta stages.

FFXI is userfriendly now than it ever was, but you can be so very lost in all the veteran terminology being shot left and right. A newcomer will be overwhelmed by a)starting from scratch and b)from receiving veteran help. And in case of B, you'd be damn surprised at how much of a turn-off it can be when a veteran comes up to you and offers you assistance in the game. You get swamped by the amount of help required or the amount of info fed to you. I've experienced all the points of views first hand because of how many times I've had to stop playing the game for one reason or other(work, school, funds) and how many friends I've lost due to the past difficulty of the game.

And lastly... Any person dumb enough to take a new player into Abyssea at level 30 to have them leech exp until they get to 90 is well.. dumber. We have veteran players with no concept of how to play their level 90 roles, the last thing we need are completely new players with level 90 jobs that they don't know what to do with. The best way to do this is the traditional way. Refuse to accept help from people who are willing to take you to Abyssea at 30. Save that for when you're at 60+ and can't find a party. I suggest pacing yourself with the Nation's missions to get a feel of where your level should be(i.e. minimum level requirement for most missions) and keep your own level at most.. 5 above that and no more. It helps to do that until at least rank 4 or rank 5 missions. Or you'll be spoiled rotten and be lost in a world of too much to do and not enough reason to care enough to do them.

#5 User is offline   Catwho 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

Well, I took my level 48 SMN into Abyssea and zipped it to 90. Then I spent a few boring days capping SMN magic, did my AF quests, and taught myself how to solo the avatar prime fights as a means of testing my macros and getting a feel for the job (and getting the Evoker's ring.)

Now my Garuda is a better DD than you.

http://www.catwho.ne.../garuda_wtf.jpg

This post has been edited by Catwho: 20 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

FFXI~Catwho of Bismarck :: A bunch of jobs at level 99 :: Gjallarhorn Bard For Life
www.catwho.net

#6 User is offline   siddichan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Absolutely right there! But you're like the rare 1 in 50 who stick to something like learning a role. The others I know are just jumping from one to the other and never really settle. When they do, that's another 1 in 10 who end up NOT being a sub-par player who loses to a level 85 mob at level 90.

#7 User is offline   Urikorose 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11177

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

I would love to go to this!
[Acen '11]
Horo(Holo)- Spice and Wolf
Luxray Fursuit - PokemonNunnally (Green Dress) - Code Geass
[Acen '10]
Kyuubi Fursuit - Naruto ... FFXI Online - Mithra Askar Armor
Ninetales Fursuit - Pokemon

[DeviantArt] [Facebook] [Cosplay.com]

#8 User is offline   Issa-ko 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8329

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:35 AM

I missed having this last year! D:
ACen '11!!
Summoner Yuna - Final Fantasy X

ACen 2011 Photos - Part 1
ACen 2011 Photos - Part 2

#9 User is offline   Catwho 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

We've made the decision to include FFXIV content as well this year, and I have one of the heavy-duty FFXIV beta testers who plays 8 hours a day on the panel. So if you're curious about XIV, it'll be a good place to learn more info as well.
www.catwho.net

#10 User is offline   siddichan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

Sweet! I'll be there!

#11 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

:D -- I would love to check this out if it was/is approved! Any other Windurstian Red Mage Mithras of Ifrit - lol nvm now we're Odin out there?

Having recently just returned to Vana'diel from a rather long hiatus, I can definitely say this is relevant to my interests. x3

:thumbup:
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#12 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Khosmos of Quetz reporting in, I'm looking forward to this, I've got a couple things I'd like to say about Abyssea and how it could be made better. :D
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#13 User is offline   glenburg89 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17536

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Just asking.
So is this Final Fantasy XI panel gonna happen for sure?
I'd really be interested to go to this since I haven't played it. I know some of the concepts and themes around it though.

--EDIT--
Oh nevermind. I see the Final Fantasy MMORPG panel on Saturday. Thanks though.

This post has been edited by glenburg89: 08 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Anime Central Attendee (2008-Current)

"ACen is like a three day vacation in another world. It's like a filler arc in everyone's life where nothing stressful matters, for that weekend."

#14 User is offline   Ultra Yak 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 47823

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

I ask you "Where is the man who invented the Bronze Subligar, and where can i go to shake hands with him and then immediately steal one from his Mog House"
ACEN2012, "Ultra Yak!! in GetBack Feeling!"
His little boat coasted into the dock of the city named ACEN. It's shimmering lights made him blind to the chaos that would ensue within.
Soon he would learn that he would get back more than just the feelings lost in the year 2010.
Waiting in the one place he wouldn't look, until...

#15 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

I'm not sure, but I do have a few Tarutaru locked up in my mog house ... don't worry, they are fed as much as they want, I just need them to take care of my.. plants... yes. Plants. :D

(Myrla/Elph(aba) from Ragnarok, also a panelist thanks to Catwho!)
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#16 User is offline   Urikorose 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11177

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Awww, it looks like this panel will be during the masquerade and i'm in it.. >.<
[Acen '11]
Horo(Holo)- Spice and Wolf
Luxray Fursuit - PokemonNunnally (Green Dress) - Code Geass
[Acen '10]
Kyuubi Fursuit - Naruto ... FFXI Online - Mithra Askar Armor
Ninetales Fursuit - Pokemon

[DeviantArt] [Facebook] [Cosplay.com]

#17 User is offline   Jiraiya 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 4722

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hello Catwho,

It's Jay (UltpervJiraiya) who supervised your panel a few years back. I am friend's Rob (Truegrave) who did the panel with you several times in the past.
So that's why I didn't see your panel last year and I was wondering what happened. I was hoping to see your panel this year but it was conflicting with another friend's panel so I wasn't able to go at all. Well, Rob and I was wondering what happened but just glad that you're back and hoped that you had a great panel this year!

Hopefully you will have us both again for next year!
J
"I'm not a pervert, I'm the ULTIMATE GRANDMASTER PERVERT EMPEROR JIRAIYA!"
"Asobi wo.... OWARI DA!" - Iori Yagami of King of Fighters
Xbox Live Gamertag: JiraiyaKurokaze
Officially dubbed SNORLAX
Arch-Lord Emperor of CHEESE!!! "I loo~~ove cheese, DON'T TOUCH MY CHEESE!!!"
Please participate in my Fighting Game Research Survey

#18 User is offline   Catwho 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, sorry for cross-scheduling with the Masquerade. This panel is usually cross scheduled with the Masquerade, on purpose. We want a two hour time block, and because only so many people can go see the masquerade/participate it, I like to believe I am giving folks another option. So I specifically request to be put during the Masquerade time block. (I mean, hell, I've participated in the Masquerade myself before, so I know how much fun it is, but they can only hold 3,000-5,000 people all told, and there were over 20K folks at the con this year. That's 15,000 people with nothing else to do!)
www.catwho.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users