Anime Central Forums: Your opinion of oversized people cosplaying. - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your opinion of oversized people cosplaying.

#241 User is offline   Gherkin 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60961
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 14-September 11

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostVoxx, on 06 May 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Just because you have a nice body doesn't mean it is okay to walk around half naked. I'd rather see a larger cosplayer that really worked hard on their cosplay that fit them well and was appropriate versus some half naked chick in a costume. To me that is just begging for attention. Everyone should have fun, but be dressed appropriately. This is a family con.


Well said!

No stranger to being overweight, I make cosplays for others. My own daughter is over 6ft tall. Every cosplay is a challenge to make to scale and make sure she’s covered appropriately! At ACen 2011 I made a cosplay for her friend who is short and heavy, with a depressive streak. Didn’t know how I was going to pull that off. Fittings alone were touchy as was finding tights to fit in the right color.

Basically I made the very best costume I could, searching high and low for the right color and fabric. I made all the detail to the nth degree. She bought the perfect wig and brought the right props. She was covered in all the right places and looked great. She had the best time at ACen 2011 and I was so happy that everyone was nice to her.

With the proper planning and a realistic vision any size can cosplay. It just takes more effort! Honestly I wouldn’t have made her cosplay if she had needed short shorts or a bare midriff. Being honest with your plus sized friends about their cosplay choice is important too.

#242 User is offline   JCWarriorCats 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63334
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 18-March 13
  • Location:On the brink of Insanity and Where Has My Memory Gone? Lane

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

My opinion is, if you love to do it, you shouldnt be discriminated for it. Ive seen quite a bit of overweight people cosplay and they really seem to love it. I would never judge someone on their looks in the first place, but I hate it when I hear comments like 'Are you kidding me? She/He could never pull off the character like THAT' Yes I have heard that. =.= Cosplay is for fun and for people to see their favorite characters come to life. No matter who you are, if you work hard, you should be awarded. If you dont work hard and are just strutting around to show off your body, then people probably wont pay you that much mind. I think it more matters on how you sell the character, thw ork you put into the costume, if you are having fun, and how accurate your costume is, not your body type.
~*Hope is but a simple flame... Always flickering, but always there.*~ JC

#243 User is offline   Nikku 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480
  • Posts: 273
  • Joined: 08-February 12
  • Location:oak lawn, il

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

It's iffy, personally i avoid the "hate" which you WILL get. You're at a con with over 20k+ not everyone is nice. So i look at animes i like and people who fit my body type (in the gay groups i'd be called a "bear") so i can't often fit in most anime (damn skinny butt asians) So people Like, Hirano kouta from highschool of the dead where Godsends to me. A fat kid in a decent looking outfit? PERFECT! Then again...people often look at me and go "you from call of duty" and i die alittle inside.
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#244 User is offline   CharlotteStar 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11577
  • Posts: 132
  • Joined: 20-May 07
  • Location:Addison, IL

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostNikku, on 08 April 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

It's iffy, personally i avoid the "hate" which you WILL get. You're at a con with over 20k+ not everyone is nice.


It's sad when that's the case - that you have to choose between cosplaying who you want and possibly running into nasty people, or just avoiding the whole thing all together and cosplaying someone 'more your size'.

I say, do whatever makes you happy. Granted there will definitely be some rude people who will judge but that's just life in general. Just ignore the baddies and have fun! You can't make everyone happy, so you might as well do your best to make yourself happy instead :).

ACen 14 Cosplay

Date a Live - Kurumi Tokisaki
Saturday.Sunday

#245 User is offline   Nikku 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480
  • Posts: 273
  • Joined: 08-February 12
  • Location:oak lawn, il

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostCharlotteStar, on 11 April 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

It's sad when that's the case - that you have to choose between cosplaying who you want and possibly running into nasty people, or just avoiding the whole thing all together and cosplaying someone 'more your size'.

I say, do whatever makes you happy. Granted there will definitely be some rude people who will judge but that's just life in general. Just ignore the baddies and have fun! You can't make everyone happy, so you might as well do your best to make yourself happy instead :)/>.



A general rule for life sure. But cosplay has...well it's got something different about it. You're not just a fan when you cosplay but you are emulating the thing you love and when you do that you are inviting the ire, or adoration of the other fans. That, and i tend to be a harsh judge on cosplay. Detailed to the bone and very harsh on myself and my friends. They hate me at first but later on they are glad i spent so much time going over it with them.
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#246 User is offline   Wingypoo 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62448
  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: 23-May 12
  • Location:Appleton, WI

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostNikku, on 11 April 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

A general rule for life sure. But cosplay has...well it's got something different about it. You're not just a fan when you cosplay but you are emulating the thing you love and when you do that you are inviting the ire, or adoration of the other fans. That, and i tend to be a harsh judge on cosplay. Detailed to the bone and very harsh on myself and my friends. They hate me at first but later on they are glad i spent so much time going over it with them.


All of this. Those last two sentences: I'm the exact same way. It's like any other hobby though. Money and time are things we all want but may not always have.
Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be. ~ Yunalesca FFX

#247 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895
  • Posts: 1,131
  • Joined: 26-February 09
  • Location:Cicero

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

Yes but don't forget every one has their first cosplay. You can only get better so don't always be critical of it.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013


Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#248 User is offline   NightElf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63562
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 26-April 13
  • Location:Grand Rapids, MI

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Wow. I am catching up with this late. Great comments by all. Gave me a lot to think about. I used to be overweight. I am not anymore. I am skinny now and fit too. I have a six pack and some muscles. I eat right and exercise. I worked hard to get my body in shape and toned. I worked hard on my costume and even harder on my body. My body is part of my costume. The artists that draw the anime characters make them sexy looking and draw them wear revealing outfits. I made a costume that is revealing and I feel sexy in it. I am showing a lot, but it's pg13. Well maybe pg14 :0). It's fun to wear it. It shows a lot of skin, but after reading this I am thinking about not wearing it at the con, since people will think that I am only there to strut my stuff, which I guess is partly true, but I am there to pretend I am the character too, which is so awesome.

For you folks that are still over weight, if you were fit and toned wouldn't you want to wear a sexy costume too? And, this is my first con, so my costume isn't perfect, so I again now I am considering not wearing it, since everyone is so serious and critical. Grrrr... I was excited about my costume and pretending to be my character and strutting my stuff and my first con. Now I am having second thoughts.

And, my costume isn't Anime. It is inspired by World of Warcraft dark elves and some other images I have seen on the internet. Also, I am not a specific character. No one will know who I am role playing, as I am not role playing anyone in particular. Apparently the worst thing a cos-player can hear is, "who are you supposed to be." After reading the entire thread I have a lot going against me.

1. I have a costume that is revealing and shows a lot of skin. Bad?
2. This is my first con, so my costume isn't going to be as good as the ones that more experienced cos-players have made. Bad?
3. My costume isn't a particular character. Bad? If you type in dark elf in google and click on images you'll kind of see how I will look. Long hair, pointy ears, fun contacts, sleeveless open vest, loin cloth, cloak, and thigh high boots, some face paint.
4. Oh, and I am 39 years old, which I saw a thread that I may be too old to do this too. Bad?
5. Oh, and I am going by myself, which I was told not to do too. Bad? I was hoping I would make some new friends.
6. Oh, and my costume isn't anime. Bad?

If I wear the costume, I see now that I will breaking a lot of unwritten rules.

The way figure it is that I worked so hard to get in shape and worked pretty hard on my costume (it was harder to get in shape), I am just going to do it. If at my first con I am not having fun, then I guess I'll just leave and hang out at the Hyatt.

Thanks for reading and for con insight, so I know what to maybe expect.

This post has been edited by NightElf: 03 May 2013 - 09:03 AM


#249 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostNightElf, on 03 May 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Wow. I am catching up with this late. Great comments by all. Gave me a lot to think about. I used to be overweight. I am not anymore. I am skinny now and fit too. I have a six pack and some muscles. I eat right and exercise. I worked hard to get my body in shape and toned. I worked hard on my costume and even harder on my body. My body is part of my costume. The artists that draw the anime characters make them sexy looking and draw them wear revealing outfits. I made a costume that is revealing and I feel sexy in it. I am showing a lot, but it's pg13. Well maybe pg14 :0). It's fun to wear it. It shows a lot of skin, but after reading this I am thinking about not wearing it at the con, since people will think that I am only there to strut my stuff, which I guess is partly true, but I am there to pretend I am the character too, which is so awesome.

Congrats on your lifestyle change and hey welcome to the con! I know this may not be what you meant but don't get to carried away with the in character bit beyond photos ( though I don't suppose Night Elves are too keen on various hijinks) . There's horror stories out there on the internet somewhere...

View PostNightElf, on 03 May 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

For you folks that are still over weight, if you were fit and toned wouldn't you want to wear a sexy costume too? And, this is my first con, so my costume isn't perfect, so I again now I am considering not wearing it, since everyone is so serious and critical. Grrrr... I was excited about my costume and pretending to be my character and strutting my stuff and my first con. Now I am having second thoughts.

... But why can't they wear a sexy costume too regardless of if they are toned? Sexy doesn't always mean Yoko, it can also mean Tsunade. And hell, not everyone wants to wear a "sexy" costume regardless of body image. Some people are conservative and for good reason ( I sadly, am not but my beautiful sister who is SMALLER than me wears very VERY cute costumes that reveal very little.)
You don't need to justify wearing something skimpy. You just need to feel comfortable in it. Think of it this way, chances are you will gather positive and negative attention REGARDLESS of costume. Not everyone is serious and critical. As long as it follows decency laws and you aren't being a hooligan, the worst thing you MIGHT ( key word is might) is a mean stare or some mean comment on some picture a stranger took of you. Or some kid going to their prom at one of the hosting hotels calling you a nerd. If you can't handle that then don't cosplay.

View PostNightElf, on 03 May 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:


And, my costume isn't Anime. It is inspired by World of Warcraft dark elves and some other images I have seen on the internet. Also, I am not a specific character. No one will know who I am role playing, as I am not role playing anyone in particular. Apparently the worst thing a cos-player can hear is, "who are you supposed to be." After reading the entire thread I have a lot going against me.


If you haven't already seen it, check out the gatherings list. I'll wait...




There's everything from Lord of the Rings to Disney. To BBC to My Little Pony. Very few, hell next to nobody cares if cosplayers are dressed as Wreck it Ralph or Naruto. I think we are all just happy that we're there.

The worst thing a cosplayer can hear is actually more along the lines of :
"We left the wig/costume piece/make up/ emergency kit at home" or "Is that piece supposed to be dangling?"

View PostNightElf, on 03 May 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

1. I have a costume that is revealing and shows a lot of skin. Bad?
2. This is my first con, so my costume isn't going to be as good as the ones that more experienced cos-players have made. Bad?
3. My costume isn't a particular character. Bad? If you type in dark elf in google and click on images you'll kind of see how I will look. Long hair, pointy ears, fun contacts, sleeveless open vest, loin cloth, cloak, and thigh high boots, some face paint.
4. Oh, and I am 39 years old, which I saw a thread that I may be too old to do this too. Bad?
5. Oh, and I am going by myself, which I was told not to do too. Bad? I was hoping I would make some new friends.
6. Oh, and my costume isn't anime. Bad?

If I wear the costume, I see now that I will breaking a lot of unwritten rules.

The way figure it is that I worked so hard to get in shape and worked pretty hard on my costume (it was harder to get in shape), I am just going to do it. If at my first con I am not having fun, then I guess I'll just leave and hang out at the Hyatt.

Thanks for reading and for con insight, so I know what to maybe expect.

1. Nope, just make sure to have emergency back up in case of ripping, tearing or popping up
2. Have you seen cardboard box Gundam ? We all start somewhere
3. Not at all, sounds like fun. May I also suggest visiting other area destinations like The Bristol Ren Faire in WI or Gencon in IN.
4. Not really.
5. Meh, It isn't always as fun without a buddy you know and trust to drink in the room with you til the wee hours of the morning but there is a LOT to do . Stay social and make friends in the many ( or few depending on the year...) lines you'll be in this year. Lines are a great place to make buddies
6. See Above.


You should have fun but I will say that hanging at the Hyatt is well, hanging at the con. Congoers are everywhere that is walking distance to the Convention Center. A trip to the McDonalds alone will make you realize that.

Hey, have a fun year and relax. Toned or Oversized, it doesn't really matter as long as you have a decent time and treat everyone with respect.

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 03 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#250 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429
  • Posts: 539
  • Joined: 02-February 11
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Hey, have a fun year and relax. Toned or Oversized, it doesn't really matter as long as you have a decent time and treat everyone with respect.


This.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#251 User is offline   JujuFox 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794
  • Posts: 574
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Location:Carol Stream

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Hey, have a fun year and relax. Toned or Oversized, it doesn't really matter as long as you have a decent time and treat everyone with respect.


I concur. Have fun and don't worry about what other people may think of you.

My first year I went as Paine from FFX-2. I wasn't comfortable showing my tummy(I wasn't fat per say, but I wasn't that skinny either), so I wore a skin-toned tank top. I got TONS of picture requests. I didn't even have the red contacts and my accessories were made of construction paper, but still there were Yunas and Rikkus pulling me left and right for group pictures. Part way through my sword broke AND my pants ripped in the crotch of all places, but I still had a fun time with friends and met a lot of cool people too.

Wow that's actually a pretty embarrassing story. I wish had any good pictures, but they are all noisy and washed out due to using a bad disposable camera. :/
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#252 User is offline   NightElf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63562
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 26-April 13
  • Location:Grand Rapids, MI

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thanks everyone. I feel better. :0). See you at the con. If you see a dark elf by just hanging about, feel free to say hi.

#253 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,141
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 03 May 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

I concur. Have fun and don't worry about what other people may think of you.

My first year I went as Paine from FFX-2. I wasn't comfortable showing my tummy(I wasn't fat per say, but I wasn't that skinny either), so I wore a skin-toned tank top. I got TONS of picture requests. I didn't even have the red contacts and my accessories were made of construction paper, but still there were Yunas and Rikkus pulling me left and right for group pictures. Part way through my sword broke AND my pants ripped in the crotch of all places, but I still had a fun time with friends and met a lot of cool people too.

Wow that's actually a pretty embarrassing story. I wish had any good pictures, but they are all noisy and washed out due to using a bad disposable camera. :/

A couple years back when I was in a similar position ( skinny no, fat not really) and wanted to cosplay babydoll from suckerpunch. I didn't even go with a undershirt but when I wore it to c2e2 everyone wanted pictures. Despite my hair being orange ( I thought I was going to be poison ivy that year, and taking dye out of blonde hair... :wacko:/>) Oddly, I managed to lose a loooooot of weight in the two months leading up to ACen. So I wore Babydoll again. Fewer pictures. Far far far fewer. ( Or it may have been because the movie was released by then and can be considered an acquired taste)

Holy hell I found pictures o_0 They may not work but
C2e2 x
ACen x

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 03 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#254 User is offline   Wingypoo 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62448
  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: 23-May 12
  • Location:Appleton, WI

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 01 May 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

Yes but don't forget every one has their first cosplay. You can only get better so don't always be critical of it.


Oh i know we all start somewhere. The only reason i bring up time/money is because those are the main two gripes i hear. I grasp we all have lives/bills/school loans but do a little a time. It's just a little offputting for me when you have people who think they're above everyone else though. Attitude is huge. :/ It's not always the weight that's an issue. Be respectful.
I'm a bit on the pudgy side and i know there's things i just wouldn't wear. It's really not our place to tell people what to/not to wear. Sorry, i'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful by any means. I've had to look up alot of photos for myself, either for reference or for a commission, and i just see everything. It's like trying to close pandora's box. I never noticed this stuff before or paid any attention. I just get super immersed in a project. Everyone has their own approach to this hobby.
Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be. ~ Yunalesca FFX

#255 User is offline   cactusmomma 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528
  • Posts: 2,144
  • Joined: 06-January 05
  • Location:On the right of Gary, IN

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Aha, found it! http://beegobuzz.tum...ost/53198293261

#256 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090
  • Posts: 5,780
  • Joined: 27-April 08
  • Location:In your brain making you smell fudge

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 19 June 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:


this brings tears to my eyes every time I see it
It's so hard already to step out in costume at a convention because there are already those fears about fitting in and being judged on how much of a fan you are and your costume quality. So when someone makes a good effort and is then teased and belitted it KILLS their spirit for ever wanting to do it again AND jades them not only from cons but from the community and maybe even the thing that they love. It's just...wrong...

I think - as long as you put in the effort (whether it be saving up money for a comission, pre made or sitting down and doing it yourself) - WHO CARES! In the end it's about showing your appreciation to the character and the design.

And I agree to what people have said multiple times - DON'T be busting out...no matter what size you are keep in mind that your clothing should fit and cover what it is meant to cover.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#257 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697
  • Posts: 143
  • Joined: 09-August 10
  • Location:St. Louis, MO

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yikes. Controversy. Controversy everywhere.

I can't talk down on oversize/big cosplayers since I'm a big guy myself. I honestly have no opinion on cosplayers of either size. If they wanna do it, let go and let them do it. They ain't botherin' me.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#258 User is offline   UmbreonGirl 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64016
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 15-July 13
  • Location:Illinois

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

My opinion? Go for it. If it is a character you like, then go ahead and have fun with it. Cosplaying should be about enjoying yourself and showing off some of your fandoms and meeting people who like the same thing(s) as you. But, I don't advise wearing clothing that is obviously too small.

#259 User is offline   ChibiSebbyChan 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65108
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 02-March 14

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Personally I had issues at anothter con when I went since I was trying to cosplay Sebastian Michaelis from Kuroshitsuji. I also am 5 foot one so my height was also an issue. At first I let it get me down but soon recovered and blew that all off. They can say what they want... When you see some one staring in a mean way or commenting bad just repeat to yourself this quote that helps: "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Hope this helps :thumbup:

#260 User is offline   Niroz51 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61786
  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: 26-March 12

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

To be perfectly honest, the only time a cosplay outfit inspired any sort of negative reaction from me is when it's sloppy - not sloppy as in the person tried but sewing isn't their forte - but that they just kinda slapped everything together and didn't care. Then I think (quietly to myself) "C'mon now friend, you didn't even try!". Mind you this only last a split-second before my attentions lands elsewhere.

I dressed as a lolita once and I was heavy at the time so I got a few looks from the thin lolitas in name brand $100+ dresses (though lolita sub-culture has sort of a stigma for being nit-picky). Yet for every hater there were 2 people asking for a picture and in awe that I had made it myself because of how much care I put into the lace work and whatnot. My weight wasn't even a factor.

But height, weight, age, sex or race...I don't think it matters. Just do your best and people will respect the work you put into it. Anyone who bashes someone who did a good job but is a tad inaccurate because of some unchangeable personal characteristic is a fanatic and the rest of us all wanna tell them to shut up most of the time.

This post has been edited by Niroz51: 14 March 2014 - 06:50 PM


#261 User is offline   Twifairy 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 65191
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 19-March 14
  • Location:Chicago-ish

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostEdgar Roni Figaro, on 12 February 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

Dont take offense. I am fat, so I am allowed to ask this kind of question. What is your HONEST opinion of oversized people cosplaying as a normal sized character? I ask this cause a couple of years ago I cosplayed as Yoko Kurama and it didn't go to well, but another year I cosplayed as Ward from Final Fantasy VIII and it was fantastic. So please, give me your honest opinion. Please keep ToS in mind though ^__^.


Edit: a thought just came to mind, my boss's girlfriend cosplayed Tifa a few years back, and got a VERY rude comment from a fellow con-goer saying "TIFA ISNT BLACK!!!" now in my opinion that is one of the rudest and stupidest things to say to someone that is cosplaying and is kind of relevant to this topic. And when you think about it...most cosplays are of characters that are suppose to be japanese right? so why didnt she go to others saying "SO AND SO ISNT WHITE!!!" just thinking out loud...

People should do what makes them feel comfortable, and people who voice things like "so and so isn't [race] or [age] or [body type]" are being very rude.

On another note, I found someone selling buttons Saturday that said "I have an hourglass figure, I just have a couple extra minutes in mine."
I thin people could use that to fight back.o
ACen 2015 Cosplay-
Cinder Fall: 0% done

Anime Midwest 2015 Cosplay-
Mikasa Ackerman: 20% done
Possible other cosplays undecided

#262 User is offline   HavocTenrec 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62097
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 24-April 12

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Doesn't matter, people should feel free to do what they want. But I can't exactly look at those and take them seriously if it were to be judged in a contest or something, because it's highly deviating from what it's supposed to look like.... unless deviating from it helps your case for some creative humor aspect or whatever.

This post has been edited by HavocTenrec: 18 May 2014 - 07:02 PM


#263 User is offline   Sno 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64729
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 15-December 13

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostEdgar Roni Figaro, on 12 February 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

Dont take offense. I am fat, so I am allowed to ask this kind of question. What is your HONEST opinion of oversized people cosplaying as a normal sized character? I ask this cause a couple of years ago I cosplayed as Yoko Kurama and it didn't go to well, but another year I cosplayed as Ward from Final Fantasy VIII and it was fantastic. So please, give me your honest opinion. Please keep ToS in mind though ^__^.


Edit: a thought just came to mind, my boss's girlfriend cosplayed Tifa a few years back, and got a VERY rude comment from a fellow con-goer saying "TIFA ISNT BLACK!!!" now in my opinion that is one of the rudest and stupidest things to say to someone that is cosplaying and is kind of relevant to this topic. And when you think about it...most cosplays are of characters that are suppose to be japanese right? so why didnt she go to others saying "SO AND SO ISNT WHITE!!!" just thinking out loud...


Honest opinion? Please cosplay. It does not matter your gender, race, weight, height, or anything. PLEASE, if you enjoy it, cosplay it. Just have fun! And also, let me take your picture! Because cosplayers unite!
It is only the Truth if someone believes you.

Seth Nightroad: 2014

  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users