Anime Central Forums: Your opinion of oversized people cosplaying. - Anime Central Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your opinion of oversized people cosplaying.

#181 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Why is this even a thread and it has gotten to 6 pages? -__-
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#182 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

View Postschläfrig Kätzchen, on 27 December 2011 - 08:23 PM, said:

Why is this even a thread and it has gotten to 6 pages? -__-

Lol this thread has every right to exist. It's an interesting topic to discuss.

For myself I try to cosplay characters that I like that share my body type and/or hairstyle. However, I've seen a black Sora, a plus sized Motoko Kusanagi, and Sailor Bubba. Cosplay whatever you want to, and do it with confidence! That is the fun of cosplaying.

I do agree with the others about being more modest and aware of what works on you. I can't wear a bikini right now although I am working towards that goal. Not only would I feel uncomfortable, but others don't need/want to see my tummy fats. So if you aren't comfortable in your cosplay outfit, and others are uncomfortable, then you may want to adjust it so that it works for your body type. Lengthen the skirts, adjust the waist, and make the changes so the clothes fit you better.

I did a Paine(FF X 2) cosplay one year, and I wore a tan tank top so I didn't have a bare tummy. I still got lots of compliments and pictures! Best of all I didn't feel uncomfortable like I would with an exposed mid section.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#183 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

I didn't even bother reading all the posts. All i know is i'm fat so i made it an effort to cosplay people i can pull it off as. Soo hirano kouta (hotd) was a natural fit...hehe..fit
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#184 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 58998

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

My two biggest concerns with large cosplayers/congoers are odor and keeping the rolls tamed X_X

I know I'm a skinny witch with a B
and I plan to stay that way XD

Could use some tone...

One year at JAFAX, I saw a pair of round cosplayers who went as Mario and Luigi and thought they looked funny and awesome together :3
2011: C.C.
2012: Moka Akashiya / (Bunny)Sebastian Michaelis
2013: ??? / White Rabbit Sebastian / Nurse Akali / Cosmo?

ermahgerd ferceberk

#185 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

I just wish some of these bigger girls would stop going without a bra and letting their breasts pretty much hang out and...well...flop around everywhere. :lol: When you have a huge bust, you NEED a bra, period. I know a lot of bigger girls are proud of their boobs, but...

I've seen "wardrobe malfunctions" before because of this issue.
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#186 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 17 March 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

I just wish some of these bigger girls would stop going without a bra and letting their breasts pretty much hang out and...well...flop around everywhere. :lol: When you have a huge bust, you NEED a bra, period. I know a lot of bigger girls are proud of their boobs, but...

I've seen "wardrobe malfunctions" before because of this issue.

Granted, I agree with you when you're are right and they don't wear bras. BUT, sometimes it's just an optical illusion.

In both my Vaporeon and "Angel Mort" Shion costume I had A LOT of cleavage and people actually ask me if I was afraid I was going to pop out of my top (you know, nicely, after getting pictures and what not). I was wearing a bra for one and a corset for the other, they were very securely in place for the whole con with my nips well below the line of peeking out.

So sometimes they aren't really 'flopping' as much as you might think. Sometimes there is just THAT much cleavage.

#187 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostIris, on 17 March 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Granted, I agree with you when you're are right and they don't wear bras. BUT, sometimes it's just an optical illusion.

In both my Vaporeon and "Angel Mort" Shion costume I had A LOT of cleavage and people actually ask me if I was afraid I was going to pop out of my top (you know, nicely, after getting pictures and what not). I was wearing a bra for one and a corset for the other, they were very securely in place for the whole con with my nips well below the line of peeking out.

So sometimes they aren't really 'flopping' as much as you might think. Sometimes there is just THAT much cleavage.

Oh, it's not just the cleavage. It's the amount of bouncing that's going on as well. :lol: There was a girl at Acen last year who was moderately overweight and VERY top heavy, and she was...jumping around....on purpose, and y'know, it was just pretty gross to watch. People kept shooting her horrified looks, whereas she seemed to be under the impression that she was putting on quite a show. So much secondhand embarrassment. It would have been equally gross if a thin girl with a medium-size bust was doing it. Once you hit a certain age, girls, you need to wear a bra in public.

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 18 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#188 User is offline   Dark Kanine 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60877

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I think oversized cosplays are pretty cool because the guy or girl who is "fat" is still doing what he/she loves, and quite frankly could care less for what everyone says, whether people are being rude or not. Complaining that someone is "fat" is like calling someone out for not being in character.
Dark Kanine (Steam)
Dark_Kanine (PSN)

#189 User is offline   Morbid Intentions 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17022

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

I guess I will be the voice of a realist and say nobody wants to see your hideous fat rolls.

Yup.

#190 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

View PostMorbid Intentions, on 02 May 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

I guess I will be the voice of a butthead and say nobody lacking a heart wants to see your hideous fat rolls.

Yup.

^ fixed that for ya.
(& being larger than a model doesn't mean you have "hideous fat rolls", btw. It is possible to be larger than a mannequin without "being hideous" or having rolls, ya know.~)

Here's the thing about humans that the world of supermodels tends to obfuscate: people come in different sizes.
"Normal" is an average.
That means half will be larger than that number, and half will be smaller; kinda the basics of algebra, that.

Everyone has their preferences as to attractiveness and what they like to see.
Everyone has behavior and mores that determine how they act & treat others.

For every person who finds smaller attractive, there is another who finds larger attractive.
For every person that wants to see & hold bone, there is another who wants to see and hold flesh.
For every person who finds anorexia hot, there is another who finds obesity hot.
For every person who finds looks critical to living and being, there is another who finds looks just the packaging of a character.
for every person who will judge a person on superficial appearance alone, there is another who will judge simply on heart & soul.
For every heartless doushecanoe that mercilessly mocks others, there is another who calls them on being a hideous human being & restores faith in humanity.

The question, here, is which kind are you?

Posted Image
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#191 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostMorbid Intentions, on 02 May 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

I guess I will be the voice of a realist and say nobody wants to see your hideous fat rolls.

Yup.

For the most part were seeing less and less of this in plus size cosplay. It is like complaining about the people who don't take baths at Con there are a few that still do but it isn't nearly the issue any more.
2015: The search continues..
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No cosplay

#192 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostAudri, on 02 May 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

For the most part were seeing less and less of this in plus size cosplay. It is like complaining about the people who don't take baths at Con there are a few that still do but it isn't nearly the issue any more.

Umm, not too sure if i agree with the people shower one. Lol i passed by stinky people lol, too many at that.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#193 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostXenoBlade, on 03 May 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Umm, not too sure if i agree with the people shower one. Lol i passed by stinky people lol, too many at that.

Maybe I just kept my distance this year. Didn't really run into any this year. Sorry if you did :(
2015: The search continues..
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No cosplay

#194 User is offline   KoalaNoms 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62322

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Honestly? I think people should cosplay characters that suit them, or that they would suit.
Obviously, few of us are as tiny as the characters are meant to be, but I believe one should adjust the cosplay to their figure.
I.E. if you have three rolls on your sides, a belly-bearing cosplay will not look good. It's just common sense.
Wearing some kind of tan or black tank top underneath helps a lot-- yeah, it's not exact, but it'll look a lot better.
It's not just weight, someone who is six foot three isn't the best suited for an Edward cosplay, etc.
But basically it's all about having fun, so whatevs. Usually if you're comfortable no one will notice if you're way taller/wider/smaller/older than the character you're portraying.
Acen 2012:
~Pichu Gijinka *done*

AnimeWorld 2012:
~SnJ Anbu Kakashi (Naruto)
~Misty (Pokemon)
~Magikarp gijinka (Pokemon)

#195 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Cosplay whomever you want, whenever you want. Size, height, race, age, and gender are not determining factors.

Haters gonna hate. Who gives a f**k what some clown on a forum thinks is "appropriate" or "suited" for you?
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#196 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostIris, on 17 March 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

(Hi, btw! Thanks for letting me borrow your boyfriend on Sunday! Would you like me to pm you guys the photos?)

Agreed there. I catch crap for that in my timeskip Nami cosplay.. she has underboob and a HUGE bust. People are always screaming about how I'm going to fall out even though I know they weren't going anywhere (really, medical tape + suede and leather bikini + fashion tape + securely tied down top.. if I say it's not going anywhere, will you believe me? I feel I know what's going on in a photo more than you do.).

Though, I do agree with the original bra comment on a whole. If you've got em, help em...otherwise, the phrase 'Gurl, dat aint cute.' comes to mind.

#197 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

I think it's the detail that would, not their weight. Plus I can't picture anyone walking up to someone "large" and saying, "You're kind of big dude...". I've said a ton of things to people but I couldn't see myself saying that to someone. I was overweight myself so yeah.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#198 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

I didn't know that all at rolls were "hideous."

I've been called fat. I've been told I can't cosplay because of my weight. So, I lost a ton pf weight. Then I was told that I didn't lose enough weight in my FACE. How do I fix that?! This past Acen, I put blood, sweat, and tears into my cosplay. Someone ended up putting it on Deviantart, and several people said that they were litterally upset that I didn't do justice to the character. I had no idea it was the job of a cosplayer to allow people to completely relive their childhoods by having the proportions of a cartoon character. I guess all I can do is lose more weight, but it really hurts that just because I am "oversized," my cosplaying at all is a big controvery. Sorry that my hideous rolls offend.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#199 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 03 May 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

Cosplay whomever you want, whenever you want. Size, height, race, age, and gender are not determining factors.

Haters gonna hate. Who gives a f**k what some clown on a forum thinks is "appropriate" or "suited" for you?

I'm just going to reply to myself here and keep posting this same message.

Cosplay whomever you want to, whenever you want to. Size, body shape, height, race, gender, age, eye color, hair color, et all have nothing to do with which character you should cosplay. You should cosplay whichever character you want to. Haters gonna hate. The people who take to message boards and forums to complain about a particular cosplayer's "lack of authenticity" or "inappropriate costume choice" are just giant losers with literally nothing better to do with their time.

Who gives a flying f**k what some clown on a forum thinks is "appropriate" or "suited" for you? Just do you. Have fun with it. HATERS GONNA HATE.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#200 User is offline   gnomedic 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60857

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

For a community of people that are commonly outcast, picked on, bullied, and have a very unique and wide array of social skills, we certainly do know how to be rude, inconsiderate, and hurtful to people that go through the same ringer as ourselves.

I am overweight, through no fault of yours. But you don't know why. You don't know me, and you don't know that 200ib Sailor Moon with an amazing wig and really great craftsmanship. You don't know the 300ib Sephiroth that spent hours meticulously choosing on the appropriate coloring for his sword. You don't know the people behind the costume, and we don't know you. There is absolutely no reason to judge anyone that attends a convention like this. We're all here for very similar reasons, especially the people that are brave enough and dedicated enough to cosplay. I saw an incredibly gorgeous male pull off the most magnificent Storm costume that, of all the natural, skinny females at the con, there is no way in hell they could have had her grace and her stoic for the role.

People can cosplay what they want, who they want, and how they want to do it. If you don't like it, don't take a picture. I for one, applaud anyone that decides to take up the hobby of costume making and have the courage to wear their dedication out in public.

P.S. People that don't shower smell: this fact is not limited to fat people. Get over yourself and shower.
ACEN2015 Cosplay: Syaoran - CCS/Clamp Group, Komusubi Daikichi - Eyeshield 21
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4012-4546-1458
Battlenet: Gnomedic#1291
PS3: gnomedic
Pokemon X Dex Completion: 719/719
[/size]

#201 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

I actually had an argument with a friend just yesterday about this. He apparently found a few cosplayers "disgusting" because they were overweight... taller... skinnier... etc.
I'm not sure how to properly counter his argument, but I did my best... ugh.. I can't stand the people that think like that!
I am overweight, myself, and I just do my best to pick the best cosplays that I know will best suit me and that I'll be the most comfortable in. Don't cosplay to try to impress anyone or just because the character is popular... Do it for the fun & love of it.

This post has been edited by ATICE: 03 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

#202 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

I don't remember if it's been mentioned before in this thread.. but so what if someone is overweight? If you want a look into your OWN future, look at your parents. Chances are, you'll look like them very, very soon.

Cheers.

#203 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

View Postcactusmomma, on 03 May 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

I don't remember if it's been mentioned before in this thread.. but so what if someone is overweight? If you want a look into your OWN future, look at your parents. Chances are, you'll look like them very, very soon.

Cheers.

Oh snap. I think that's the sound of the microphone hitting the stage.

If I'll look anything like my father, I'm looking forward to it. Even at his age he's still atheltic and taken care of.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen

#204 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Before I hit genetic hell + incident with a birth control shot (it's bad girls! Don't take it!), I was 115 lbs at 5'8"... my mother and grandmother are both short and overweight.. look what happened! Age 29, 178 lbs and having an incredibly hard time dropping it. Go genetics!

#205 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

View Postcactusmomma, on 04 May 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Before I hit genetic hell + incident with a birth control shot (it's bad girls! Don't take it!), I was 115 lbs at 5'8"... my mother and grandmother are both short and overweight.. look what happened! Age 29, 178 lbs and having an incredibly hard time dropping it. Go genetics!

Not to be a jerk but you're 8lbs more than I am and I'm shorter. Try 209lbs+ at 5'6". Don't even worry about that crap. You looked fine to me and honestly surprised you recognized me in my costume.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen

#206 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Nah, you're not a jerk.. but the point of the post is that you can be in tip-top shape throughout your teen/pre-25 years.. and all it takes is one incident.. one gene to kick in.. and that size 2 will become a size 12..

And that's just fine as long as you take care of yourself.

#207 User is offline   Morbid Intentions 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17022

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 02 May 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

^ fixed that for ya.
(& being larger than a model doesn't mean you have "hideous fat rolls", btw. It is possible to be larger than a mannequin without "being hideous" or having rolls, ya know.~)

Here's the thing about humans that the world of supermodels tends to obfuscate: people come in different sizes.
"Normal" is an average.
That means half will be larger than that number, and half will be smaller; kinda the basics of algebra, that.

Everyone has their preferences as to attractiveness and what they like to see.
Everyone has behavior and mores that determine how they act & treat others.

For every person who finds smaller attractive, there is another who finds larger attractive.
For every person that wants to see & hold bone, there is another who wants to see and hold flesh.
For every person who finds anorexia hot, there is another who finds obesity hot.
For every person who finds looks critical to living and being, there is another who finds looks just the packaging of a character.
for every person who will judge a person on superficial appearance alone, there is another who will judge simply on heart & soul.
For every heartless doushecanoe that mercilessly mocks others, there is another who calls them on being a hideous human being & restores faith in humanity.

The question, here, is which kind are you?

Posted Image

You fixed nothing.

At no point did I mention having the look of an unhealthy skeleton with flesh wrapped around it was in any way better than being obese, nor did I mention said look was attractive... or even mention said look to compare it to being obese

As far as obesity, the only thing you are doing is defending the right to be naturally unhealthy and lazy like it's fine and dandy, then going on to say it's perfectly fine to show off something that is clearly unhealthy, unwanted in society as an average (since you are the minority here I guess it has to be an average doesn't it?)

I've got an idea, instead of defending obesity and the right to show it off how about fight it and have the right to an ACTUAL good looking shape rather than the misplaced illusion of "natural beauty" for society to use as a phantom crutch to feel better about their increased risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes and countless other health risks.... you know, because as a human race (us being driven by the need to reproduce with only the healthiest of the race) THAT is what we should ACTUALLY be looking for right?

How about this?

This was me 7 years ago.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is me now after the correction that NEEDED to happen in my lifestyle, still eating right, still going to the gym four times a week and still being healthy as a way of life.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now which person would you want to see cosplay a fitting character more? Because if you answer me seven years ago I get to call you a liar.

Brutal truth is a bittersweet sting, unfortunately for you there is no plausible defense against laziness and the inability to correct something that is NATURALLY UNSIGHTLY BASED ON THE SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN ATTRACTIONS LAID OUT FOR THE HUMAN RACE. Especially when you are arguing with someone that beat it back so easily.

Get obese, see you are obese, do something about it.

Get obese, see you are obese, be too lazy to do something about being obese, justify why it's cool/acceptable to be obese in your little world against scientific facts adopted and taught in schools around the globe, stay obese, pretend to be okay with it on the outside when inside it kills you.

I made my choice. I guess it just seemed the best decision for myself at the time. ::shrug::

This thread goes beyond cosplay, it comes down to what is healthy and what is unhealthy. If you are obese, don't think for one second someone is going to want to see you in something skimpy or a cosplay that suggests the idea you should wear very little clothing (yes, fat rolls are hideous by nature, being obese is hideous by nature, not by a society, deal with it) and don't think for a second you will not be judged, so if you are, don't complain about it. It's a two way streak ladies and gentlemen and there is a reason when someone who wants to get his jollies off and is into obese women, he has to go under the "fetish" section

Also notice the difference between OBESE and HEALTHY, see, people (usually overweight/obese/perfectly fine weight but not okay with their weight mentally) automatically grasp at straws and go straight to bringing up anorexia and unhealthy skinniness... Where have I mentioned healthy, curvy women to be disgusting? anywhere? Yeah, don't get on that bus, you will only see a dead end spouting off on that extreme

In closing, words don't do the point justice... A picture perhaps.

These are three of my friends/roomies @ Acen, the middle Jade being my GF (the one with the most curves to her for anyone wanting to bring up the laughable anorexia garbage again)

Posted Image

All three women have different body styles, different weights, different heights and different facial structure... None were obese, all three were accepted tremendously and couldn't walk two steps without a picture... If they were all obese? Good luck with all of the aforementioned. Just picture the change in reaction on the convention center floor with this simple plot change, realistically picture the faces, the things said in the crowd, the looks, the laughs. Attention, but in the compete opposite regard. This is all that really needs to be said to wrap the point in a sock so it can smack the faces of those who would disagree with anything I have said.

You can call it society all day long but at the end of the day nobody wants to see an obese person, let alone an obese person in an outfit (cosplay or not) showing skin. The more obese you are the less skin people want to see, the more fit and healthy you look, the more skin people want to see, see how that works? Good now pick a cosplay that works for you and make everyone happy, or pick one that doesn't and deal with the negative consequences without complaining about it like a girl

This post has been edited by Morbid Intentions: 05 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

#208 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Actually, I would have loved to see the you of 7 years ago cosplaying. You don't appear obese there.. untoned, yes, but not obese. There would be plenty of characters for you to pull off then and as long as you yourself are happy with what you're doing, you shouldn't give a damn. If you continue to keep thinking about how others are going to view you in how you're dressed in a silly hobby, then you have bigger issues that you need to look at. Cosplay has always been a hobby that's been looked at and laughed at regardless of how much skin shows or how much weight a person has. It isn't something that will land you a 6 figure job and it isn't something that outsiders will look at seriously. Unfortunately, if anything, the majority of the outside view is 'oh hey, fap material!', which I'm pretty certain is what some of the pictures of your girlfriend there is being used as. (Gross, I know.. but if it exists, there's a market for it.)

Please don't get into the porn = fetish categories bit.. the only country that truly gives a damn about non-rails is the US and that also goes into the whole fashion/hollywood industry debacle. Ask any male in any country over the age of 27 and the fat issue becomes almost non-existent. What'll happen when you and your future wife's metabolism slows down? Will you leave her because she packs on weight after childbirth or one wrong medication and can't get it off?

As for this:
>Good now pick a cosplay that works for you and make everyone happy, or pick one that doesn't and deal with the negative consequences without complaining about it like a girl
That's funny, because I'm seeing the girls in this thread acting with more tact and understanding than you.

Have a nice day.

#209 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

While Morbid intentions was pretty harsh about it, I do agree to an extent with what he is saying. (still some things I wouldn't go all the way with agreeing with however) The biggest problem to me is how America has a bad habit of coddling everyone. It's making everyone so flipping over-sensitive about every little thing. Now being like size negative or whatnot isn't the default size for people, but if you have increased chances for diseases? No, that is NOT what the normal body size is. Also curvy. That word is used FAR too much. I've seen morbidly obese women use it to justify their weight. No. Just no. Genetics and thyroid issues do play a role in some being overweight. And Estrogen is EVIL in loosing weight. So I can't put blame to them about that. However if that isn't the issue, everyone should try to make themselves healthy.

My personal ideology is hard work is the best work. I'm not in perfect shape. Not even knocking on it's door. However, I'm working out and achieving my goal. You'll never hear me even utter "accept me...blah blah" (now not saying everyone has to do that, just saying it is my person ideology) Pity isn't gonna help me prevent diabetes (being black and having family history of that disease, I can't play around with exercise X_X), high blood pressure, and other bad stuff. But if people stopped being so sensitive about stuff, and try to work at it more, I think this issue wouldn't exist. (or just wouldn't be so big) I've taken the things people have said about me and used them as fuel. Not wanting to hide behind "acceptance's" back and make them stop. Thing is, it won't go away. People look at obesity like a scourge. (tho if our current pattern keeps going, it won't even matter anymore since it would be like a 90% obesity rate. Wall-E called it first.) I heard the worse of them for names, but like I said, I used it as fuel. Even know I still think "I never will be weak again". Extreme yes, but that's how I am.

I'm going to wind this up, but cosplay wise, you can wear whatever you want. It's our freedom as a living being, and being a free human, but common sense should be used for some things. Don't sit any wonder/cry about the fact if you have a pretty big belly, and you have it all exposed, that why are people staring or making fun of you. While you can do it, just don't get surprised about what happens.

One last note. I don't understand the war against skinny people. Bigger people want less people making fun of them, but it's perfectly okay to hate skinny people? Really?
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#210 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Just because you have a nice body doesn't mean it is okay to walk around half naked. I'd rather see a larger cosplayer that really worked hard on their cosplay that fit them well and was appropriate versus some half naked chick in a costume. To me that is just begging for attention. Everyone should have fun, but be dressed appropriately. This is a family con.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users