Anime Central Forums: Your opinion of oversized people cosplaying. - Anime Central Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your opinion of oversized people cosplaying.

#151 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

View Postottoman, on 11 May 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

I am a plus sized girl, cosplaying a thirteen year old girl
and a thirteen year old genderbent, crippled grey skinned alien.

And you know what?
I am going to look freaking fabulous.

Just wear what you're going to wear, and wear it with every ounce of confidence you have.
Haters gonna hate.

More power to you! :D Bet you'll look awesome. And a person of any size with confidence always looks a million times better than someone who doesn't have confidence.
ACen 2016 Plans
Maki Nishikino, version undecided [Love Live! School Idol Project]
Ryuho Ryu (final form) [s-CRY-ed] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#152 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

Alright, you want my honest to god brutal opinion on big people cosplaying? Okay.

EW EW EW WHERE IS THE EYE BLEACH!? SOMEBODY! KILL ME NOW!

No, seriously, I honestly do not care if a bigger person cosplay. If the person wears something to flatten themselves a bit and do not wear anything skimpy or unfitting, it doesn't bother me.

I'm a big butt guy myself with a bit of a gut. With taht, I know I won't be able to cosplay as characters who are muscular and are shirtless so it's whatever.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#153 User is offline   Grand Master Brief 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19762

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

I have no problem with it but i have seen fat hairy guys complying Kamina and that is where i draw the line
COSPLAYS
Done at ACen - L Lawliet(2008), Tamaki Suou(2008), Dead Bones Brook(2009-2010), Briefers Rocks(2011-2012), Scott Pilgrim(2011), Todd Ingram(2012)
Done at AMKE - Dead Bones Brook(2010), Briefers Rocks(2011), Hirano Kohta(2013)
Other Cosplays - Bandit Keith(KitsuneKon 2013)
Upcoming - Laharl, Adult Negi Springfield, Ash Ketchum, Yami Yugi, Soul Eater Evans, Death the Kid
Subscribe to my youtube channel
Follow me on twitter @speedlemon
Add me on XBOX 360 - Sp33dl3m0n

#154 User is offline   ShadowSilverGirl15 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59981

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

yeah....i'll be cosplaying as Rin Kagamine from vocaloids and i'm not sure if I should though. Since i'm a bit...fat....my arms and legs are a bit big and I have a small pudge for my stomach (but i'll be wearing a white shirt underneath so its not that bad then) and don't really know if I should still cosplay or not....I know cosplaying is about having fun and not caring what people think about you but still....i'm really self conscious....sigh....I really don't know if I should cosplay Rin or not? I've read through this psot but it only manged to boost my self confidence a little bit....it seems I can't have full confidence T-T I really wanted to cosplay Rin since she is my favorite vocaloid but I don't have enough confidence! T-T I don't want to get bashed and hated since and its my first convention so I wanted it to be good! Sigh....I don't know what to do anymore.....
ACen 2013

Vocaloid VY2 Yuma
(Yuuma, 66, Roro, whatever you want to call him. I go by his punk/pink version)

#155 User is offline   Mautty Koray 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60559

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

With any cosplay, my opinion is that a person should cosplay a character appropriate for their body. By that I mean, if you're on the heavy side, you probably should not be cosplaying a character that wears skimpy or overly revealing clothing simply for the fact that the majority of people don't want to see them walking around. Its not that we have a disrespect for heavier people, but simply that most have a specific mindset (myself included for both men and women) that seeing rolls of fat or just general over chubbiness is unappealing.

As for the racial comment, WHAT THE HELL. Race should not be a factor in cosplay, EVER. That's like someone walking up to you and yelling (as the OP said) "SO AND SO ISNT WHITE!" since the majority of anime characters are actually japanese. Now, if you have someone that is able to play a character well physically and personality wise, THATS AWESOME. Such as the one cosplayer I saw who played the male, black, final fantasy character with the chocobo chick in his hair (the name fails me) near perfect in both look and personality.

#156 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

After this ACen, I have so much more confidence as a chubby chick cosplaying. I cosplayed Phoebe from Pokemon and, for those that don't know, her outfit is basically a bandeau or tube top and a sarong. Her tummy and left leg are pretty much exposed. Now, like I said, I'm a chubby girl so I was a little worried about my gut being exposed and just showing that much skin in general. I told myself months ago though that, regardless of whether I reach my goal weight or not, I would do this cosplay. I didn't reach my goal, but I kept my promise to myself and wore the cosplay and have no regrets. People said I looked adorable and that I did my character justice. Moral of the story, if there's a character you want to do, just do it. People may surprise you and love you for cosplaying that person.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#157 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

I believe that people should cater to what fits their body type. If you are willing to go the extra mile to make sure your cosplay looks incredible, then your body type becomes less of an issue. However, some characters, especially those that show a lot of skin, shouldn't be played by people who can't physically fit those roles. It's not so much a matter of discrimination, as accuracy. If you're playing Yoko or Haggar, your body shape plays a crucial part of the outfit. Similarly, skin tone plays a crucial part in a cosplay like Mr. Popo, or Dark Link.

I also think that when you play characters of other colors/sizes, it makes those characters more popular. I like playing black characters, and I want to see more in media. If guests come to a convention and see 5,000 Clouds, they think that's what they should do. If they go in and see more diversity, maybe they'll be more open to diversifying the characters they create.

Finally, big people should not cosplay characters in spandex. It's just not a good look, and you should know better. Lee/Gai cosplayers only get away with it by being ironic.
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#158 User is offline   Octoroxxx 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60654

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

I think you should dress as whoever you want to be! Anime and Games can kind of have this everyones super skinny and athletic thing to them that might scare people off from attempting, but I say it's worth a shot if you are going to be happy!
Another important thing is just to take your body type, no matter skinny,fat, in the middle,curvy,short,tall,etc, in to consideration when making your cosplay. For instance, I saw a ton of stockings from PSG and I saw every body type imaginable at the photoshoots but everyone looked great! No one looked bad or embarrasing or like they shouldn't have even attempted it. You just have to take your body type into consideration and think "would I be comftorable walking around all day like this?"

My last comment on this is if you don't quite fit the "standard" of a character, modify it a bit to make it fit you! No one will care if everythings EXACTLY right, its more just the overall feel of a costume anyways! For example if someone wanted to cosplay as Rei Ayanami from Evangelion and they had an hourglass figure instead of rei's coke-addict skeleton frame, just make measurement adjjustmentts to her plugsuit so that it compliments your curves rather than squeezes and surpresses them. Who cares if Rei has a bigger booty than usual? (Most won't.)
I was one of the many Stockings at the 2011 Acen! (Lolita Dress version with one stocking and one sword)
I traveled around with my best friend who was Panty wearing red flats.

Cosplays I am considering for 2012:
Sakura Kyokou (Magic girl outfit) - Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Jade Harley (Squiddles jacket and dress version) - Homestuck
Mari Makinami Illustrious (Green Plugsuit) - Evangelion 2.22: You can (Not) Advance

#159 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

I would like to say something...4chan means absolute ****ing **** when it comes to judging women.

there are actually people who upload pics, and then troll them as anom. also, girls who post pics, and troll them as anom.

i've seen them get excited over big girls, skinny girls, short girls, little people, tall girls, girls that look young, small chested, big chested, pregnant, and just about every body/age/skin type in the world.

I've also seen them flame some of the same pictures, similar ones, or the same person but in just different poses. 4chan is a troll ground.

if your smexy your smexy, if your not...some ones else probably thinks you are. I mean your kidding yourself if u want every one to find you smexy, we all have are different kinks, but there are more then enough who probably do.

I mean some one MARRIED ME for god sakes!
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#160 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

=.= I'm with Kasin.. I'm sure we can all anonymously agree (including those that are 4channers..) that 4chan is the garbage pit of the internet.. Nothing posted there can truly be taken seriousy, and it does nothing other than show there are people out there who live simply for the purpose of being an absulote arse. And not just any arse, a cowardly one.. Probably the reason I hate 4chan the most. You're already hiding behind a wall when you post on the internet, and now even your online persona is hidden as well? People go on there bashing others, when they don't even have the manparts to show their own name, let alone their face.. Uggghhhh...
ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#161 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

Internet+Anon+audience=stupidity

/CGL/ mmmmmmmmmmmm I get what I can from there. After they posted five to six PT threads I gave up. I reported them all too. I still report stupid stuff on a daily basis.

I mostly dump stuff in /y/, /a/, /v/, and /h/ as in pictures. I don't go in the troll threads, instead I try to report them. The best thing I seen is /cgl/ is black people cosplay thread. No trolling and no problems. Just tons of pictures.

Now I wish they would do the same thing about plus size women and men.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#162 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

It's not just 4chan. Not seeing the person's face makes it easier to be mean to them, and everywhere on the internet, even these forums, there are bullies and arses who take out theie dissatisfaction with their own lives on others.

Society makes it worse as well. Since being badass or aggressive is what is glorified today, people are meaner in real life too. That, added to the comfort of being anonymous, causes major jerks on the internet.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#163 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

I think you 3 miss one huge point.

it's a game to many people.

we infact have many on the forums who love to play the trolling game.

I know many who enjoy it as well.

It doesn't mean there being @holes to you, but u just happened to be the one picked.

which is why i say 4chan means nothing, since nothing they say is credible, or any site like it.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#164 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

@ fujoshi: I also don't know how much reporting will help, since the creator, moot, tends to play along. I mean he was the one who started duckrolling which became the ever famous rick rolling. Although he has stated he doesn't like the rascist stuff.

#165 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

As I've said before, if you can pull the costume off well then go for it! ^_^

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with one of the costumes I saw this year.. Scarlet Witch I think it was.. I'm sorry, but please choose another costume that suits you because that one did not look good at all. I think she would have been better off doing like... a femme Captain America.. or.. something else. That just did not look right. I think that you can cosplay whatever you want as long as it makes sense but that one did NOT. If you're reading this, I wish you luck with your future costumes.

This post has been edited by ATICE: 01 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

#166 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

View PostKasin, on 01 June 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

@ fujoshi: I also don't know how much reporting will help, since the creator, moot, tends to play along. I mean he was the one who started duckrolling which became the ever famous rick rolling. Although he has stated he doesn't like the rascist stuff.

Dunno. I'm trolled a lot for liking Hetalia, being a trip, and apparently saying 'ore-sama.' I really need to stop responding to trolls.

It's just that one time someone took my name kinda urked me forever towards trolls. Also people don't apologize if they mess up, but expect you to do the same as a 'power trip.' That makes me laugh more than anything on /cgl./

I personally try my best to help people; online and off. They had a similar kind of mentally towards online games and Gunbound. Like 'I am awesome and nobody can stop me online,' when you can in fact go to jail for some of the stuff you say like threats or suicidal calls. It's sad.

I was shocked that this thread was still active.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#167 User is offline   Sarah-Senpai 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 28570

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

I think there's a line between it looks good and it looks kinda bad and not very well suited to you. I mean I'm cubby and I know for a fact I can't pull off cosplays with skirts very well so I was iffy going as suit Beatrice this year. I mean I was able to pull it off but I think I was better off going as something else.

Really you should see what looks best on you and what works well and what crosses the line with "they shouldn't be wearing that". I mean you can cosplay who ever you want but it's better to research a character thats more suited to how you look normally.
Acen '12 cosplays

no idea yet, maybe Haruka from IM@S

#168 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

My opinion to cosplay is that its fine for people to cosplay whatever character they like, but if you dont naturally look like that character then I recomend you put a little more effort into your costume, it will pay off. And its fine to make modifications to as costume so it looks better on you, even if it doesnt look 10000% accurate. Cosplay its a type of fashion show and as long as your cloths look good most people wont care about the rest.

That aside I belive that EVERYBODY can look beautiful... Havent you seen all does makeover shows?
Most people just dont know how to do their make up, fix their hair and put on cloths that make themself look more appealing. There are ways to make yourslef look more atractive you just have to find them. Goolge, youtube, or what ever you have to do, theres a lot of information and guides out there that might help you. Everybody likes looking good right? Stop telling yourself that your ugly, make a little bit of an effort and you will see how it will pay off.
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#169 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

View PostShadowSilverGirl15, on 17 May 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

yeah....i'll be cosplaying as Rin Kagamine from vocaloids and i'm not sure if I should though. Since i'm a bit...fat....my arms and legs are a bit big and I have a small pudge for my stomach (but i'll be wearing a white shirt underneath so its not that bad then) and don't really know if I should still cosplay or not....I know cosplaying is about having fun and not caring what people think about you but still....i'm really self conscious....sigh....I really don't know if I should cosplay Rin or not? I've read through this psot but it only manged to boost my self confidence a little bit....it seems I can't have full confidence T-T I really wanted to cosplay Rin since she is my favorite vocaloid but I don't have enough confidence! T-T I don't want to get bashed and hated since and its my first convention so I wanted it to be good! Sigh....I don't know what to do anymore.....

My friend is planning to do Miku and she's not think at all, she's a bit on the chunkier side and is going as a version of Miku that would allow her to cover the parts of her she doesn't want to show while showing off her better traits. I think you'll do a good Rin if you find a style of her you want to do, two, if you're really worried about your shape go to a department store and get some shapeware it's designed to help you pull in the part that might not be smooth enough for a speific kind of outfit. Most of all...and this is important. Have fun. there are all sizes at acen, seriously. Only morons are the ones that start pointing things out.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#170 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

View PostShadowSilverGirl15, on 17 May 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

Okay, having "a little pudge" does not equal fat. At all. You're not expected to look like a ten year-old girl. Just make sure the outfit caters to your body type, and your curvy Rin will look awesome.
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#171 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

View PostATICE, on 01 June 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

As I've said before, if you can pull the costume off well then go for it! ^_^

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with one of the costumes I saw this year.. Scarlet Witch I think it was.. I'm sorry, but please choose another costume that suits you because that one did not look good at all. I think she would have been better off doing like... a femme Captain America.. or.. something else. That just did not look right. I think that you can cosplay whatever you want as long as it makes sense but that one did NOT. If you're reading this, I wish you luck with your future costumes.

First.. You shouldn't be calling out a cosplayer like this.. and second..

You know.. in a seperate thread you admitted to assaulting someone because they insulted your own cosplay choice... Yet then you do the same thing.. So it may have not looked right in your opinion, so what? Who ever she was probably had enough to deal with at the con itself, just as you did in your own Flash costume.. and to come here and read such things can't be making her feel any better. I'm hoping that, who ever she is and no matter how she looked, she rocked that outfit. Rocked it, and further more doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks. If you don't think it looks right.. so what? You're not the one wearing it. She knew what she was doing when she made the cosplay choice and it was her opinion that mattered at the end of the day. Everyone should wear whatever they want, and if they have the courage to do so, then who are you to make them insecure?.. And to be hypocritical no less.. *Sigh* Thats just one of my peeves..

ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#172 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

View PostPashy-chan, on 07 June 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

First.. You shouldn't be calling out a cosplayer like this.. and second..

You know.. in a seperate thread you admitted to assaulting someone because they insulted your own cosplay choice... Yet then you do the same thing.. So it may have not looked right in your opinion, so what? Who ever she was probably had enough to deal with at the con itself, just as you did in your own Flash costume.. and to come here and read such things can't be making her feel any better. I'm hoping that, who ever she is and no matter how she looked, she rocked that outfit. Rocked it, and further more doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks. If you don't think it looks right.. so what? You're not the one wearing it. She knew what she was doing when she made the cosplay choice and it was her opinion that mattered at the end of the day. Everyone should wear whatever they want, and if they have the courage to do so, then who are you to make them insecure?.. And to be hypocritical no less.. *Sigh* Thats just one of my peeves..

Check your pm.
I would also like to let everyone know if you have a problem with me, then I invite you to message me so we can work it out.
Have a nice day! ^_^

#173 User is offline   rikku894 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 51668

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

I went to a panel at Daisho called "Cosplay's Gone Wrong," yes it was kind of heartless, but almost none of the pictures were of thicker people. They actually encouraged them to cosplay. As long as you are comfortable doing something, don't let others stop you. For ACen 2012 (if I can go) I actually plan on doing my first crossplay with my friend. It'll be difficult since I have a big chest ^^; but as long as my friend and I have fun, I don't really care all too much.
~2011~
Luka Megurine from Sandplay
Letter Bee from Tegami Bachi
Rachel Alucard from BlazBlue

#174 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

How I see it is you can cosplay as whatever you want, I just highly recommend it not be racist, promote any type of hatred, and be courteous of people's religious views too. In my personal opinion, unless if it's done in humor, and I mean no offense to anyone, I prefer not to see an overweight man dressed as something like a Greco Roman wrestler or an overweight woman dressed as Rikku. I was once well overweight, so I honestly mean no offense, but I knew back then (and personally despite losing some weight still know) that I shouldn't be in too revealing of costumes.

If you think you can pull off a character properly or give a humorous take of a certain character, I see no harm in trying whatever you feel. One positive thing I can say about ACen and most other cons I have been to, most people don't come up to you and say "Your Costume sucks" or "You make a horrible (insert character)!" If they do, most people snicker from a distance. Either way, if you think it will be fun to do, just do it!

I'll admit, I always try to gain some attention with my characters, I think most of us do.

Forgot to mention, as far as someone of another race portraying a character that isn't their race, I don't think that's a problem at all. If anything, it makes me more interested in taking their picture. :)

This post has been edited by STVO: 14 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#175 User is offline   Byakuya Kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19491

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

I personally don't care what the person looks like, their size or color. If they are willing to put in to join everyone else in cosplay I think go for it! Its awesome and I respect someone for that.

Now that I have said that I should add that I believe that they should wear something respectable to themselves, something flattering.

Acen 2012
Leon S Kennedy - RPD (Revised)
Germany - APH
America -APH

#176 User is offline   Acorn22 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60768

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:47 AM

I have seen some cosplay that just makes me feel .....uncomfortable. (Usually fat dudes dressed like sailor moon)

#177 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:30 AM

Since I'm a plus size cosplayer I have learned a few things.

One I can't walk around in nearly nothing, it just rude in my opinion.
Two big or small most cosplays can be modified to be more modest to allow me to be comfortable, covered up, and still be noticed.

I was always disappointed as a teen when I knew I would look bad in Sailor Senshi cosplay no matter what. Was a lot of depression invovled with that, but then as I got older I knew I could make skirts longer that would help cover up skin and I could still be recongised by anyone at the con. Also learned to branch out beyond just strict anime cosplays. Like the Sailor Moon cosplays I might not look nice in the sailor fuku, but heck I can pull off the school uniform look pretty gosh darn good. Minor adjustments like that helped a lot. Plus I moved onto general clothing "trends". So whether that is lolita, steampunk, cyberpunk, all of those I can make my own outfits and do what I feel comfortable with and yet I still look nice during the con.

General opinion on other plus size cosplayers is to dress for your body type and understand that not everyone wants to see stuff hanging out everywhere. Sewing machine is your friend and don't be afraid to go longer or add a piece of fabric that is close to skin color to cover something up (Yuna from FFX-2 comes to mind, rather than all open add a piece of nude fabric to cover up everything, but in pictures it barely shows).
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#178 User is offline   OtakuChica 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60765
  • Location:Hiding In your pantry. What? I get hungry watching you!

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

I think it's all about finding a character that will look good on you and knowing how to flatter your body, I'm a bit chunky myself. My Haruhi cosplay could've gone better, but the cosplay was too puffy around my abdomen, so it made me look bigger, I think if my aunt fitted it better for me, it would've looked better.

And long cloaks are ALWAYS good, they hide your body. ^^
ACen 2011 - Haruhi Suzumiya
ACen 2012 - Shippuden Sakura Haruno
ACen 2013 - Friday: fem!Jack Frost Saturday: Toon Link

#179 User is offline   Lelo 

• Merchandise Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 25302

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

The biggest thing is of course finding out how to create the costume so that it works with your size. Where's your fat located? Figure out what shapes flatter your figure and work that into your costume. Hope this helps. :)
Merchandise salesgirl extraordinaire 2012, 2013, 2014

2014 cosplay:
Friday -- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Saturday -- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Sunday -- you guessed it, Winry again, and then zebra mask shenanigans!

my Fullmetal Alchemist tumblr

#180 User is offline   ravenfinch 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61043

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

i love it since they are human let them do what they want no fn stereotypes i applaud them especially if they look better than skinny people cosplay amen

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users